PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers for morons

VCross007
04/23/2008, 11:51 PM
ok so as I said before, I'm new to the vx scene, as this is the last time I'll say that. I have a backround of v8's with trans ams, camaros, and vettes. Im looking to upgrade to either a flowmaster muffler, or a borla. I've always had borla and know the rasp that follows them. Since the cross is a 6er, I'm looking to put a deeper growl on it. I keep hearing about the 40 series flow, but is it the super 40 or the delta series? I'm not worried about outside / inside noise, im used to it. I want something that's gonna sound mean. Anyone with flowmaster and borla? ldub? edward? I've read enough forums but havent come to anything conclusive, so im hoping this thread will put them to the test. any sound clips would be great :_steering

Ldub
04/24/2008, 06:03 AM
I'm assuming you've seen this thread: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11892

I like my Borla with the perforated cone in the tip...

But I also like the way other members VX's sound with flowmasters & duals...a much lower rumble than the Borla, way more agressive sounding at idle.

For side by side comparison, nothing beats a trip to Moab...:smilewink

You should be able to hear quite a variety of combinations there.:thumbup:

VehiGAZ
04/24/2008, 08:37 AM
I have a 2.5" Flowmaster Delta 50 (update - actually a Super 44). It's loud as stink at speed but sounds great at idle - a nice, throaty, snorty burble for a V6. At full throttle over 3500 rpm it's a little bit coffee-can sounding from inside, but I have no idea what it sounds like from outside.

I found that it gave a significant boost to low-rpm torque as well.

JHarris1385
04/24/2008, 09:49 AM
I thought this thread was titled Mufflers for Mormans for a brief second.

Joe Isuzu
04/24/2008, 10:38 AM
if you give me about 2-3 weeks, I'm apt to have my magnaflow up for sale, it's very light, pretty loud and aggressive sounding, very gently used, as in like 2 weeks total, I am the second owner but the first had it on for only a week, I've driven it perhaps a week total (I alternate cars)

SilverBullet75
04/24/2008, 05:47 PM
Take a look at what I wrote-up on the Super40 on this thread...
It may give you a better idea of what to expect...
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13060&page=2
BTW... I still LOVE the Super40's sound!
---JIM---

VCross007
04/26/2008, 09:53 PM
ok so does anyone have a part number or sizes of the flowmaster super 40 muffler? I'm ready to get it I just need the dimensions/part #s. does anyone have any audio of the vehicross with the borla muffler?

Chopper
04/27/2008, 07:53 AM
ok so does anyone have a part number or sizes of the flowmaster super 40 muffler? I'm ready to get it I just need the dimensions/part #s. does anyone have any audio of the vehicross with the borla muffler? Comming from eights, nothing is gonna sound right to you for awhile:rolleyes: The Magnaflow I went with sounds great at start up, idle, and part throttle....at W.O.T. it gets the "coffee can" tone as well, but all low restriction mufflers are gonna do that I think.

grantCO
04/27/2008, 09:17 AM
I am running a 2.5" system done at a local muffler shop. The muffler used is the Hooker Aerochamber. It has a thick case to cut down on interior noise and a nice tone. I have yet to hear a raspy note come out of this muffler.

crager34
04/28/2008, 02:50 PM
Stock system save the PV1 muffler. I had a PV2 on my previous VX and found that one to be alot more tinny (if you will).

CrnCnn
04/30/2009, 09:42 PM
Ok, so since I consider myself a moron when it comes to exaust I figured this thread could be used. Especially since it's been a year since anyone used it. No sense it starting a new one.

I got the muffler from Travelin2 and have yet to put it on. I figure I can swing about twenty bucks for clamps and adapters, since I am broke. Here is what I want to know.

Is the stock size 2 1/4?
What all do I need to install it myself? I looked under there and it seems I should just need to unbolt the pipe and hangers, R&R the muffler.
I think that clamping it will be just fine, am I wrong?

pbkid
05/01/2009, 12:24 AM
shouldnt exhausts be welded??

rowhard
05/01/2009, 03:27 AM
shouldnt exhausts be welded??

Welding them is a fairly new concept (read wirefeed welding). Use to be years ago them were always clamped

VehiGAZ
05/01/2009, 06:57 AM
If the new muffler (what is it, btw??) is a different length as the old one, the install will be more challenging.

I do not recall the size of the stock piping. I want to say 2" but I do not know that for sure. It is either 2" or 2.25", though.

Ldub
05/01/2009, 07:30 AM
Welding them is a fairly new concept (read wirefeed welding). Use to be years ago them were always clamped

Yep, I remember the same "good ol' days"...there weren't none of them there dern new fangled wire weldin' machines...we held our exhaust systems together with CLAMPS, dang it...and BEER CANS...and BAILING WIRE if needed...:thumbup:

Why we call em' the "good ol' days" is still beyond my comprehension...:laughgray

CrnCnn
05/01/2009, 08:22 AM
If the new muffler (what is it, btw??) is a different length as the old one, the install will be more challenging.

I do not recall the size of the stock piping. I want to say 2" but I do not know that for sure. It is either 2" or 2.25", though.

Its Travelin2's old flowmaster. Remember, you(pretty sure it was you) suggested he go with a dynamax(sp?). I then traded my airbox for the old flowmaster. The length is pretty close to the original 1 bedroom condo thats under there now.

I just want to gather all the items I will need so I dont have to make extra trips to the local Kragen.

Ldub
05/01/2009, 08:27 AM
Its Travelin2's old flowmaster. Remember, you(pretty sure it was you) suggested he go with a dynamax(sp?). I then traded my airbox for the old flowmaster. The length is pretty close to the original 1 bedroom condo thats under there now.

I just want to gather all the items I will need so I dont have to make extra trips to the local Kragen.

Measure the pipe diameter, measure the mufflers inlet/outlet diameter, then figure out if you need any reducers etc.

They sell cheap plastic caliper measuring type devices at Harbor Freight...:smilewink

tom4bren
05/01/2009, 08:32 AM
"Yep, I remember the same "good ol' days"...there weren't none of them there dern new fangled wire weldin' machines...we held our exhaust systems together with CLAMPS, dang it...and BEER CANS...and BAILING WIRE if needed"

Dang - I had that same exhaust on an ol' Dodge P'up.

It was modular in design so that whatever piece was leaking this week could easily be replaced.:)

CrnCnn
05/01/2009, 08:49 AM
Measure the pipe diameter, measure the mufflers inlet/outlet diameter, then figure out if you need any reducers etc.

They sell cheap plastic caliper measuring type devices at Harbor Freight...:smilewink

I know how to do that much, :rolleyes: I am just being lazy about it, figure if someone knew the sizes I could just swing by after work and get the stuff.