PDA

View Full Version : Rocky-Road Outfitters...what's the deal?

nfpgasmask
04/21/2008, 09:13 AM
So on April 4th I ordered my springs from rocky-road.com. Three weeks have passed, no springs. They replied to one of my emails and said they should be shipping next week and that I should get a UPS shipping notification. That should have been last week. I have tried calling them several times and no one ever answers. I sent them another email last week and I am still waiting for a reply.

At this point, I am getting pissed. With Moab 3 weeks away and only one weekend left (I'm outta town this coming weekend) to get lifted and finish my mods, I am getting worried. Anyone have any info on these guys?

Bart

CrnCnn
04/21/2008, 09:18 AM
Dude, this sucks. I must have been lucky cause when I ordered mine they came pretty fast.

Ascinder
04/21/2008, 09:24 AM
Still not too late to order those spring jacks like I have. Speedway will have them to you within the week I would think.

Low rise:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/7038,154_Adjustable-Hidden-Spring-Shim-Standard.html

High rise:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3389,154_Adjustable-Hidden-Spring-Shim-Extended.html

nfpgasmask
04/21/2008, 09:48 AM
Still not too late to order those spring jacks like I have. Speedway will have them to you within the week I would think.

Low rise:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/7038,154_Adjustable-Hidden-Spring-Shim-Standard.html

High rise:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3389,154_Adjustable-Hidden-Spring-Shim-Extended.html

While that would be a nice alternative option, I am really trying NOT to spend more money. Needless to say, when I place an order online, I expect the company to be selling me something that they have IN STOCK, unless otherwise noted. At this point, if I can get ahold of them, I may have to cancel the order and get something else, if they do not expect to have the springs shipped this week.

Bart

CrnCnn
04/21/2008, 09:50 AM
Well on the brighter side the lift is quick and easy. So if we had to do it on a weeknight it would be no big deal.

nfpgasmask
04/21/2008, 09:54 AM
Well on the brighter side the lift is quick and easy. So if we had to do it on a weeknight it would be no big deal.

Yeah, that is probably what we will need to do. I found another (non-800) number for them online. I am waiting in a queue right now, hopefully I will get someone to talk to soon.

Bart

nfpgasmask
04/21/2008, 10:05 AM
Well, I just got through to someone, and they said the springs are shipping today. I got a tracking number, so I should be able to track it with 24-48 hours. So, everything is probably ok, I'm just impatient I guess.

So, this means the springs should be in this week. So Crn, maybe on Monday or Tuesday next week we can lift me up?

Ascinder, when are you back? Should we plan the first weekend of May as the official Reno VX Prepare for Moab Ultra Modding weekend?

Bart

VXIRONwoMAN
04/21/2008, 10:21 AM
Yea Rocky Road takes FOREVER!!!! I ordered springs and I think it took them 3 months to get them out to me... Keep on 'em... Because I am just about done ordering things through them... I still don't have my sliders they were ordered the beginning of this month... they said it would take a week to build so now I am waiting. Let's see how long they take this time.

CrnCnn
04/21/2008, 10:35 AM
Well, I just got through to someone, and they said the springs are shipping today. I got a tracking number, so I should be able to track it with 24-48 hours. So, everything is probably ok, I'm just impatient I guess.

So, this means the springs should be in this week. So Crn, maybe on Monday or Tuesday next week we can lift me up?

Ascinder, when are you back? Should we plan the first weekend of May as the official Reno VX Prepare for Moab Ultra Modding weekend?

Bart

Yeah let me know when you are ready.

I just checked and here is the thread for my lift. LINK (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10537) I got mine so fast cause I paid extra....

EDIT: I need to get you that spray for you torsion bar adjusters. No reason to buy some. I will head out to my 'rents to grab after I meet Cari for Lunch. You want me to drop it by your pad or wait til this weekend?

nfpgasmask
04/21/2008, 10:58 AM
Yeah let me know when you are ready.

I just checked and here is the thread for my lift. LINK (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10537) I got mine so fast cause I paid extra....

EDIT: I need to get you that spray for you torsion bar adjusters. No reason to buy some. I will head out to my 'rents to grab after I meet Cari for Lunch. You want me to drop it by your pad or wait til this weekend?

Yeah, we can wait until next week. Hopefully the springs will come in sometime this week, and then next Monday we can spray that stuff on my nuts. :)

Bart

CrnCnn
04/21/2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah, we can wait until next week. Hopefully the springs will come in sometime this week, and then next Monday we can spray that stuff on my nuts. :)

Bart

Yeah lubing the area the day before always helps.... It really helps crank your stud rather that the nuts....

nfpgasmask
04/21/2008, 11:07 AM
Yea Rocky Road takes FOREVER!!!! I ordered springs and I think it took them 3 months to get them out to me... Keep on 'em... Because I am just about done ordering things through them... I still don't have my sliders they were ordered the beginning of this month... they said it would take a week to build so now I am waiting. Let's see how long they take this time.

Wow, that sucks. I wish I would have known. I am kind of a stickler for this type of thing. I have had too many bad experiences with online shops selling things THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE!!!! That is A-1 bad business if you ask me. I understand if it is a custom order for something that has to be made from scratch, but even in those cases, if a time frame is set, that time frame had best be adhered to. I recently read this thread http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11732 (Ron??) about Ron and his lack of response, and just reading it made me furious. I started to type a response, but then I realized that I should sit that one out, since I am not involved and I do not know Ron personally. But in a nut shell, that is enough to call the BBB and report a fraud if you ask me.

Technology has changed commerce forever. And I embrace it whole-heartedly. But I refuse to be lied to and cheated online. If I get my springs this week, I will honestly have nothing bad to say about Rocky-road, other than that they are slow, and that they should add a few blurbs on their website when ordering, that orders may take a long time.

Little companies like this need to realize that in order to stand up to big companies like Amazon, they NEED to offer a competitive level of service, if nothing else, to compete. Personally, I love Amazon. Ordering is simple, and delivery is lightening fast, 99% of the time.

Anyway, sorry for that rant. I just hate being screwed in cyberspace....

Bart

Ascinder
04/21/2008, 11:18 AM
I am back as of Monday night(21st) and should be on vacation from then until after Moab:bwgy::dance: so my modding is going to begin post haste. The winch mount should be finished by Wednesday at the latest:rolleyes:, but I still need to order the winch-line and a load of custom high grade hardware and a giant heap of other miscellaneous mods before then. So, yeah I can swing by wherever/whenever to help out, and maybe even finish up some of my own.

nfpgasmask
04/21/2008, 02:31 PM
I am back as of Monday night(21st) and should be on vacation from then until after Moab:bwgy::dance: so my modding is going to begin post haste. The winch mount should be finished by Wednesday at the latest:rolleyes:, but I still need to order the winch-line and a load of custom high grade hardware and a giant heap of other miscellaneous mods before then. So, yeah I can swing by wherever/whenever to help out, and maybe even finish up some of my own.

Yeah, let me know about the CV boots too. I kinda don't want mine breaking in the middle of our trip.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
04/21/2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah lubing the area the day before always helps.... It really helps crank your stud rather that the nuts....

You guys are still talking about lifting the VX, right?;)

Seriously, how much does a mild lift affect the handling of the VX? I would like to lift, but if it is at the cost of the handling, that would be a tough sell.
James

crager34
04/21/2008, 03:32 PM
You guys are still talking about lifting the VX, right?;)

Seriously, how much does a mild lift affect the handling of the VX? I would like to lift, but if it is at the cost of the handling, that would be a tough sell.
James

James;

I thought the same thing. The only difference I can see/feel is worse gas mileage and the extra noise with more agressive tires. Now, I have not gone out and taken a 30 MPH curve at 50-60 MPH like I did when it was lowered and had street tires....... If you race it (figurativly speaking), then there will most likely be some differences

ZEUS
04/21/2008, 03:37 PM
Just a heads up for anyone who wants Rocky Road sliders... When I got the prototypes installed on my VX they fit just fine. BUT! Since our wheelwells are so tight, when you add bigger tires you almost always have to cut the wheelwell, as we all know. I told them this after I looked at mine and I told them they should take at least one inch off the front of the total length. The owner took note of what I said but I am not sure they took that inch out or not. I had to take out about 2" from my sliders because of how much more I hacked out of my wheelwells to work for my setup. Also, I don't really love their powder coat job. Their powder coat facility was new at the time I got my free sliders so maybe they didn't put much time into the process.

Otherwise, Rocky Road does have a screen name here and you can PM the owner of the company by searching for the "Rocky Road" user name on this site. If they are delivering slow, give them the onslaught!

snowtrooper1966
04/21/2008, 11:23 PM
James;

I thought the same thing. The only difference I can see/feel is worse gas mileage and the extra noise with more agressive tires. Now, I have not gone out and taken a 30 MPH curve at 50-60 MPH like I did when it was lowered and had street tires....... If you race it (figurativly speaking), then there will most likely be some differences

Not too sure about worse gas milage, mine already sux...
I have Nitto terras now, but if I lifted, I would probably go with Nitto mud grapplers. I don't really "race", but I do drive a twisty mountain road every day. I guess I will just have to see how much off road I really do this summer, and if a lift is realy the thing for me...
James

Chopper
04/22/2008, 05:11 AM
Not too sure about worse gas milage, mine already sux...
I have Nitto terras now, but if I lifted, I would probably go with Nitto mud grapplers. I don't really "race", but I do drive a twisty mountain road every day. I guess I will just have to see how much off road I really do this summer, and if a lift is realy the thing for me...
JamesGood idea. Unless you like the look....driving lifted 100% of the time, when you "need" it 5mins. a year, may not make much sense. This car is pretty capable right out of the box.:bwgr: A "spring and crank" lift takes very little time to do and undo.

snowtrooper1966
04/22/2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks, Chopper!
I do think the Dragon looks sick "out of the box" and it's stock capabilities are probably enough for me.
Can you elaborate on the benefits/details of the "spring and crank" lift?
I am in the process of putting back the stock shox (still need a low milage set of fronts) the original owner took of and replaced with some pretty crappy low end units.
Best,
James

crager34
04/22/2008, 10:44 AM
Can you elaborate on the benefits/details of the "spring and crank" lift?
Best,
James

If I may - He is talking about Old Man Emu (OME) 912's coil springs for the rear (around $150 shipped) and then Torsion Bar Cranks (poor mans lift) for the front.

Shocks - More power to you if you can find OEM shocks, but CHA-CHING!!... probably gonna cost you a bit. A popular shock is the adjustable Rancho 9000XL. I love them.

Calimini offers a more detailed lift kit, but you don't "need" all their stuff, but it's a good setup.

VXIRONwoMAN
04/22/2008, 11:26 AM
Sliders just came in!! Yippy!!!

Chopper
04/22/2008, 02:48 PM
The O.E.M. KYB shocks, are apparently only available thru Isuzu, and will cost around 400 bucks apiece. It's a pretty superior shock, despite the price:bwgr:

nfpgasmask
04/22/2008, 02:52 PM
Well, I got my UPS shipping notification today. The springs should be here by Friday!!!

Bart

CrnCnn
04/22/2008, 03:03 PM
Well, I got my UPS shipping notification today. The springs should be here by Friday!!!

Bart

Nice, I wont plan anything real crazy for the weekend. I do want to get my cladding painted soon though.

VXIRONwoMAN
04/22/2008, 03:57 PM
Nice, I wont plan anything real crazy for the weekend. I do want to get my cladding painted soon though.

You might wanna wait until after Moab to paint your cladding... IMO.

Ldub
04/22/2008, 04:07 PM
Sliders just came in!! Yippy!!!

YAY !!!:dance:

DITTO YAY !!!:dance:

CrnCnn
04/22/2008, 04:11 PM
You might wanna wait until after Moab to paint your cladding... IMO.

where else to test how durable the paint is.

Ldub
04/22/2008, 04:12 PM
where else to test how durable the paint is.

Parking lot at wallyworld???:naughty:

CrnCnn
04/22/2008, 04:22 PM
Parking lot at wallyworld???:naughty:

see so moab will be a small test.

Ldub
04/22/2008, 04:23 PM
see so moab will be a small test.

Exactly.:cool:

snowtrooper1966
04/22/2008, 05:05 PM
If I may - He is talking about Old Man Emu (OME) 912's coil springs for the rear (around $150 shipped) and then Torsion Bar Cranks (poor mans lift) for the front.

Shocks - More power to you if you can find OEM shocks, but CHA-CHING!!... probably gonna cost you a bit. A popular shock is the adjustable Rancho 9000XL. I love them.

Calimini offers a more detailed lift kit, but you don't "need" all their stuff, but it's a good setup.

So the coil spring go over the existing shox?
Not too clear on the torsion bar deal....
I found a pair of low milage (5k) rear OEM shox, and paid 125 shipped. Still looking for fronts...
James

rowhard
04/22/2008, 05:33 PM
I have some front OEM's

nfpgasmask
04/23/2008, 08:51 AM
So the coil spring go over the existing shox?
Not too clear on the torsion bar deal....
I found a pair of low milage (5k) rear OEM shox, and paid 125 shipped. Still looking for fronts...
James

James, the springs and shocks are two separate pieces. The OME 912 lift up your rear end a little, and then you crank the torsion bars to raise the front. I will probably eventually do some sort of shock upgrade, but for now, I am just too poor. I am lifting next week and I will be putting on some new rubber soon too, so my pockets will be all linty and nothing else. Not to mention the price of gas to Moab and back. :mad:

Bart

snowtrooper1966
04/23/2008, 09:01 AM
Hey, Bart!
Thanks, that helps clear it up a bit....I know all about the "linty pocet" thing myself lately. Just spent 800 ducats on 1st row Iron maiden tix for next month...
Rowhard, I think we already spoke about shox. I am looking for lower milage. Trying not to have to recharge, but I will keep yours in mind...
James

nfpgasmask
04/23/2008, 03:47 PM
Got em today!

:grino::gring::grinb::smilegray:grinr::grinp:

Bart

CrnCnn
04/23/2008, 04:04 PM
Got em today!

:grino::gring::grinb::smilegray:grinr::grinp:

Bart

nice