PDA

View Full Version : 18" Stock Wheels- Question

tomdietrying
04/18/2008, 06:08 PM
O.K. I'm running 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I've had them 13 months, about 15,000 miles. A couple of weeks ago I started noticing a vibration when I got over 20 mph. The first thing I did was go to Dicount Tire and had them rebalence them. It got a little better but not much better. I then thought it might be internal. I took it to a place that used to be an Isuzu dealer. The same Isuzu techs are there, but they no longer sell Izusus. Anyway, they ran a diagontic. They couldn't find anything wrong. They didn't charge me because nothing came up, but they speculated it was the tires. I then went to another Discount Tire. They rotated the tires. It was still the same. I felt comfortable going 55-60 mph. Anything more than that it got too load. They then sent me to still another Discount Tire where they had a this special machine that would really balance them. It's called a Road Force Balancing. After they did that it did help. I felt comfortable going 75mph, after that I didn't feel safe. Usually 90 mph and it rides really smooth.

Here's my problem. The last guy that balanced my tires tells me....."You know those tires are too big for that rim." Now, I know if you punch in VehiCross in the Discount Tire computer it says anything over 245/55/18 cannot fit. Now does that mean that the wheel is too small for anything bigger than that or Izusu wants a smaller tire for a smoother ride?

I've been running 285/60/18 for over 5 years. Did my tires suddenly go bad and shoud Discount replace my tires.

What your take on this?

Peace.
Tom

Ldub
04/18/2008, 06:17 PM
I'm still thinkin' it's a crooked (seperated) belt in the tire...try to find another tire vendor locally (not a Nitto vendor) & have them look for a belt seperation.
Could also be a bent wheel, but if you haven't had any run in's with immovable objects,(curbs etc.) not as likely.:_wrench:

rowhard
04/18/2008, 06:37 PM
tom, are you feeling in your seat or the steering wheel? Reason I ask. I have been noticing a bit of a shutter in the seat of the pants, 20 mph +. Wasn't sure IF it was wheel or drivetrain. Today, I had a 20k X-mission fluid change and you know what, I think it is better, but I won't swear to it,... yet

tomdietrying
04/18/2008, 08:17 PM
Rowhard, I feel it in the steering wheel and it ne seat. Scott came over and he sat on the back floor (I took out the back seat). He thought he felt it in the rear.

Ldub, how do you check if there is a seperation. That's what the guy speculated at the first dealership I went to. I told Discount that and they said...."those tires will not seperate....the only way they will seperate is if you have a tear in the steal belt and then use something like Fix a Flat."

Peace.
Tom

Ldub
04/18/2008, 08:42 PM
Rowhard, I feel it in the steering wheel and it ne seat. Scott came over and he sat on the back floor (I took out the back seat). He thought he felt it in the rear.

Ldub, how do you check if there is a seperation. That's what the guy speculated at the first dealership I went to. I told Discount that and they said...."those tires will not seperate....the only way they will seperate is if you have a tear in the steal belt and then use something like Fix a Flat."

Peace.
Tom
The statement ...."those tires will not seperate....the only way they will seperate is if you have a tear in the steal belt and then use something like Fix a Flat." , is just "blowin' smoke"...there's not a tire made that hasn't had a few failures...it's the nature of the beast.:_wrench:
If they put it on a balancing machine, (tire verticle) & give it a spin by hand, you'll see the tread wobble (L-R, or R-L)...My thinking on this is, if you take it to a dealer that sells a non-Nitto brand, they'll be more likely to point it out.
(cuz they want to sell you new ones)

Have them use tire chalk to mark the problem area, if found. Then take it back to Discount Tire.

Hope you find the source of your vibration.:thumbup:

tomdietrying
04/19/2008, 02:10 PM
I think I found out what was causing the wobble/vibration. I took it to one of the last remaining authorized Izusu dealers in Texas. The mechanic turns out to be very knowledgeable and a former VX owner. He immediately suspected the U-Joint. I should get it back on Monday.

He seemed pretty convinved that would solve my problem. I'll let you know.

Peace.
Tom

Ldub
04/19/2008, 05:04 PM
I think I found out what was causing the wobble/vibration. I took it to one of the last remaining authorized Izusu dealers in Texas. The mechanic turns out to be very knowledgeable and a former VX owner. He immediately suspected the U-Joint. I should get it back on Monday.

He seemed pretty convinved that would solve my problem. I'll let you know.

Peace.
Tom

That's something I hadn't thought of, certainly a possibility.

LittleBeast
04/20/2008, 07:36 PM
He immediately suspected the U-Joint.

Sounds like the U joint, might be the cause, but if it does not fix the problem, I think this sounds oddly familiar to a car that is badly out of alignment, just a thought.

tomdietrying
04/21/2008, 06:29 AM
I thought of the alignment issue too. I had it realigned at Firestone. I bought one of those lifetime alignments years ago. I would highly recomend it if you have not already done so.

The service tech showed me the U-Joint while it was jacked up. He showed me how easliey it moved when he grabbed it. A few hours later, I went back and he showed me what it looked like after he pulled it out. The bearings were cracked and some were turned to dust.

I'm getting some other regular maintainece done, so i should have it back this afternoon. I'll let you know if that solved the problem or not.

Peace.
Tom

don moore
04/21/2008, 07:56 AM
hows it going friend?:smilegray....good to hear from you..hope your baby gets fixed..

tomdietrying
04/21/2008, 12:29 PM
I just got off the phone with the dealer. They told me ALL problems are solved, and I can come pick her up. I won't get off work for another two and a half hours, but we will soon see if she is running as perfect as she has been.

I'll let yall know.

Peace.
Tom

LittleBeast
04/21/2008, 12:47 PM
I thought of the alignment issue too. I had it realigned at Firestone. I bought one of those lifetime alignments years ago. I would highly recomend it if you have not already done so.

Yeah I just did the lift saturday and did some finishing touches last night so I got the lifetime alignment at Firestone this morning!!!!! LOL, perfect timing huh?

tomdietrying
04/21/2008, 06:13 PM
Just got back from the dealer, and man, what a difference. I've always had a S M O O T H ride with my VX , but now it's smoother than our Prius!

Anyone in the DFW area, I would highly recommend Fazeli Isuzu Imports.

Peace.
Tom

P.S.
Ryan, you've been doing so much to LitteBeast lately. You gotta show her off. You need to find a way get your VX to Moab and meet us in Moab if it's only for a day. Here's what you do. Have someone who is riding shotgun from Texas drive your VX to Moab. After you finish your meet in Salt Lake City, meet LittleBeast and us in Moab.