PDA

View Full Version : Tranny fluid mystery bolts???

Joe Isuzu
04/17/2008, 08:26 PM
OK, I've read Joe Black's "how to" along with about 5 different threads on this. Got my stuff together and figured I would let stuff drain out tonight and fiddle with the pleasant task of putting fluids back in tomorrow or over the weekend. I am stumped. The fill and drain plus on the bottom of my transmission pan are not the ones in Joe Black's write-up. Instead, I have two circular bolts with a hole in the middle of each. WTH is that? I've not seen them before on any of my vehicles. Granted, I've not tried to change tranny fluid before either, but what gives? I would have taken a picture to be helpful, but honestly my wife made chicken in curry sauce tonight and I was starting to get nauseous on the garage floor looking up at the belly of my VX. If no one knows w/o pictures, I will try to take some tomorrow. How in the world do I get these circular bolts off the transmission pan?? They don't seem to be simple covers? Please help....

etlsport
04/17/2008, 08:52 PM
i know the transfer case has bolts like that that just take a 3/8" socket extension to plug into it and unscrew it

Joe Isuzu
04/18/2008, 05:43 AM
i know the transfer case has bolts like that that just take a 3/8" socket extension to plug into it and unscrew it

Thanks for the help Etlsport,
don't laugh, but do you mean like a torx bit or something similar? You can tell I didn't grow up a mechanic....

nfpgasmask
04/18/2008, 09:07 AM
Maybe take some pics and post them so we can point out what is what.

Bart

johnnyapollo
04/18/2008, 10:25 AM
Almost sounds like someone's plugged tranny cooler adapters...

Joe Isuzu
04/18/2008, 12:20 PM
thanks guys, I will be try to be more helpful and post pictures tonight

etlsport
04/18/2008, 05:59 PM
on the transfer case the fill and drain bolts are circular with a square hole, you just stick the end of your 3/8" socket wrench in there (makes it easier if you use an extension) in there instead of putting a socket on the end of the ratchet

Joe Isuzu
04/18/2008, 06:03 PM
alright skilled mechanics and great knowers of all things, what the heck are these things and how do I get them off so I can do a transmission fluid change???

Ldub
04/18/2008, 07:05 PM
I don't even know what to think about that...does an allen wrench fit them?:_wrench:

I would have some stock ones on hand before I thought about vice gripping, or pipe wrenching them out...maybe they were stripped by the previous owner?...or a transmission shop?...
Anyone recognize these as a "quick fix" someone might have done???

Yikes.

IndianaVX
04/19/2008, 08:40 AM
?????zooming in, it does look like the holes are "hex-ish"
im with lub, i would have on hand the plugs that are SUPPOSED to be in there.
side thought, there must be a tool that takes advantage of that hole in the center, like visegrips, with a pin for the center, to keep the grips from comming off. ya got me???

maybe take your pics to a snap on tool, or mac, and see what they say. they might have a tool??

JHarris1385
04/19/2008, 08:55 AM
Um so those things are NOT stock? That is what I have.

Joe Isuzu
04/19/2008, 06:26 PM
Um so those things are NOT stock? That is what I have.

Well good, I feel better that I'm not the ONLY one who has something goofy like this going on underneath my VX.
I will fiddle with it more tomorrow to see if anything I have will fit that small hole. I have to wonder what benefit this contraption is over OEM. If anybody knows anything else on this, please chime in. Thanks!!

JHarris1385
04/19/2008, 07:18 PM
Mine has never been serviced and those are what are on mine.

Ldub
04/20/2008, 06:35 AM
Well good, I feel better that I'm not the ONLY one who has something goofy like this going on underneath my VX.
I will fiddle with it more tomorrow to see if anything I have will fit that small hole. I have to wonder what benefit this contraption is over OEM. If anybody knows anything else on this, please chime in. Thanks!!

They could have run into a supply issue at the factory where the 4L30E is made, & had to find an alternate source of plugs.
Could also be an improved design, to lessen the chance of over tightening & stripping the threads? :_wrench:

Joe Isuzu
04/20/2008, 08:22 AM
I'll know more once I get them off

Joe Isuzu
04/20/2008, 06:39 PM
dang, upon closer inspection, it sure looks like a torx bit would work and I thought a t-40 was the right side, dang thing didn't budge at all and I almost go to the point where I was going to strip it,
this sucks
come on mechanics of the VX world, is anyone familiar with these things?
please?:o

rocket man
04/20/2008, 06:57 PM
This transmission was built in France, then shipped to Japan, to install in out trusty steeds...

France has always liked to be on the cutting edge of being, "different" or is the more approiate word, "strange"..:p...

I would order replacement plugs from Isuzu then r&r..but beware this may be a "re-threaded" replacement and the stock no longer fit's:eek: Perhaps the previous owner did this masterpiece

JHarris1385
04/21/2008, 06:37 AM
I really doubt the previous owner did that. I have the same bolts and I have seen the same in the gallery here as well. It seems like some were shipped this way.

nfpgasmask
04/21/2008, 09:19 AM
OK, how many of you have a 2000 VX with those type plugs? I have a 2001 and mine do not look like that either. Maybe this is something on the 2000s only, and the 99s and 01s have the "regular" type plugs?

:confused: Bart

rocket man
04/21/2008, 02:27 PM
Wow, bummer for you to have this problem. Not so much a "problem" I guess as it is an agravation...as its a super easy fix, with the right tools and equip...

If your going to service the transmission anyway, you need to replace/or should replace the filter. It is in the same oil pan.

So you'll need and oil pan gasket and filter too...remove the oil pan bolts. It's probably gonna leak, but sometimes they've been on there so long, they may be on there pretty good. If so, gently tap on the pan walls, or carefully pry it open. Be sure to keep one of the corner bolts on....but loosen it about a full turn or two...you'll need a low profile(if you doing this on your back) wide radius pan to catch the oil when it finally gushes out (do this after the engine has cooled off....Once you have the pan off...Drill out these odd plug's and replace or take it to a transmission shop and ask them if they could kindly remove them, they'd probably do it for free. Auto Zone probably has these plugs and filter or Napa. Or order from Merlin or local Isuzu dealer...also these plugs may be availabe at your local Acura dealer...as your transmission is identical to a 1998-99 Acura SLX 4x4 3.5 w/tod...

Good luck:bgwo:

Joe Isuzu
04/21/2008, 03:48 PM
thanks for the input Rocketman. Already have the tranny filter and replacement gasket, along with that smaller gasket as mentioned in Joe Black's write-up. All excited about doing the complete tranny job and have to deal with this crap. Yes, worst case scenario is to do it your way as you are correct I will need to take off the pan anyway to get to the filter. However, I'm would much prefer to let it mostly drain out the way it's supposed to, much less messy that way. We'll see. I guess I'm just floored that this really is a mystery to our group here. At least I have JHarris to keep me company on this! haha

Ldub
04/21/2008, 04:03 PM
At least I have JHarris to keep me company on this! haha

I'm sure that's of great comfort...

Also, remember to soak all the cross member bolts with PB blaster ahead of time, as that also has to come off to drop the pan.:_wrench:

Joe Isuzu
04/22/2008, 05:45 AM

Also, remember to soak all the cross member bolts with PB blaster ahead of time, as that also has to come off to drop the pan.:_wrench:

Thanks Ldub, even if I forgot to do that, after cursing and scraping my knuckles I would probably get around to using the PB blaster eventually. My knuckles thank you for the reminder! :)

nfpgasmask
04/22/2008, 08:27 AM

The most enjoyable part of dropping the cross member is all the dirt and crust that falls down with it (wear some goggles) and then, you have the added task of disconnecting all the wires that are connected to the cross member as well. :)

Bart

Joe Isuzu
04/22/2008, 10:00 AM
UGHHHHH
didn't even notice that there are wires attached to the crossmember, I'm sure it's not too hard but man, something ELSE to think about
Hey thanks Bart-man! :)

nfpgasmask
04/22/2008, 10:10 AM
UGHHHHH
didn't even notice that there are wires attached to the crossmember, I'm sure it's not too hard but man, something ELSE to think about
Hey thanks Bart-man! :)

Its not that hard, its just annoying, dirty, heavy and upside-down.

:) Bart

Joe Isuzu
05/04/2008, 11:32 AM
**Quick update**
Got the crossmember off (acted like it had never come off before), got the transmission pan off, got the little pan in front of the transmission pan off, disconnected the lines in the front near the radiator (see Joe Black's "How to" list on changing tranny fluid). Jumped in, got ready to turn it on and go through the gears and the shiftlock feature is inoperative. i.e., I can't get it out of park. Now, in the "how to" article the tranny pan wasn't removed. I had to remove it b/c I wanted to change the filter as well as get those da*n mystery bolts out. Am I unable to shift out of park until the new filter and transmission pan are back on? Did I inadvertently disconnect something and fail to realize it? Help guys, I'm hoping to make some headway this weekend.

rocket man
05/04/2008, 06:37 PM
I know this might be a little remedial but your description dosn't mention that you actually inserted the ignition key and twisted it:p...Only that you "got ready " to turn it on...:rolleyes: also be sure to put your foot on the brake too. You need to do both...then see if you can get it out of park or be able to turn the steering wheel for that matter..

Other than that I can't imagine you did anything to the lockout mechanism on the shift linkage

Good luck

John

Ldub
05/04/2008, 08:22 PM
**Quick update**
Got the crossmember off (acted like it had never come off before), got the transmission pan off, got the little pan in front of the transmission pan off, disconnected the lines in the front near the radiator (see Joe Black's "How to" list on changing tranny fluid). Jumped in, got ready to turn it on and go through the gears and the shiftlock feature is inoperative. i.e., I can't get it out of park. Now, in the "how to" article the tranny pan wasn't removed. I had to remove it b/c I wanted to change the filter as well as get those da*n mystery bolts out. Am I unable to shift out of park until the new filter and transmission pan are back on? Did I inadvertently disconnect something and fail to realize it? Help guys, I'm hoping to make some headway this weekend.

You DON'T do Joe Blacks tranny flush with the pan off...EVER!
Re-read his how to, you are mis-understanding some aspect of this procedure...:_wrench:

nfpgasmask
05/04/2008, 08:48 PM
Dude, take the pan off. Remove old filter and dispose of properly. Remove magnet. Clean magnet off with shop towel. Clean out pan with shop towel. Replace magnet in bottom of pan. Replace tranny filter. Place new gasket on top of tranny pan. Replace tranny pan. Fill tranny with at least 3-4 quarts of fluid. Then run through the checking procedures as per the manual.

Joe's Black's tranny flush DOES NOT include dropping the pan. I would not start my VX and run through the gears without the pan, and filter on, and some fluid in the tranny.

PM me if you are having more trouble.

:) Bart

Joe_Black
05/05/2008, 06:55 AM
I'll have to edit the "how to" to indicate the issue with dropping the pan. When you don't drop the pan there is still some fluid available for the transmission to pressurize the system allowing you to run through the gears, otherwise it's just sucking air. Do as Bart says and once the pan is back on with a bit of fluid in it then you can continue. It's not absolutely critical to get every last ounce out of the system, especially if you're using Mobil-1.

As for the bolts, I believe those are "security plugs" that some places like Jiffy Lube use to keep you coming back and/or prevent you from doing it yourself. A local mechanic friend was cursing up a storm one day when I stopped to visit and he couldn't find the specific tool for these plugs as he had one on the lift. Apparently they're not terribly common as people like my mechanic friend tend to beat the crap out of the installers when they can find them! :rolleyes: Take a picture to your local NAPA and they should have a tool on the wall to fit.

Joe Isuzu
05/05/2008, 07:23 AM
ok, yes I feel like an idiot now
I implied by reading Joe Black's article that I could run through the gears w/o the pans simply b/c in his article you could run through the gears w/o the drain plug or I guess the little hoses up near the radiator unhooked.
I will happily reinstall the pans and continue the process. I still need to get those dang bolts out of the main pan though. I took them by Advance and Autozone and a tranny shop. None of them knew what the heck they were. I'm perfectly willing to have someone drill the miserable things out and put "normal" bolts in.
Thanks for the info from everyone!!
Joe "amateur mechanic" Isuzu

Joe Isuzu
05/17/2008, 08:02 AM
project complete, no issues thus far (fingers crossed), had to pay a mechanic to get the bolts out, I spat on them when they were out (j/k)
I'm so relieved that I won't have to deal with that crap the next time I do this job.
Also, just like the first time you do a brake job and learn your way around it, the next time I do a tranny job it should be like half the time! Thanks to all who tried to help on this

rocket man
05/18/2008, 10:15 AM
WAY TO GO JOE!!!:)

This should last you a long time (err......... forever, hopefully)...unless you drive your VX in EXtreme conditions. i.e. towing, racing, or overheat your transmission fluid(as indicated by the warning indicator light on the dash) you shouldn't have to do this again. EVER!

Hope you r&r'ed with synthetic atf. More expensive but a good idea....

BTW even Isuzu does not recommend changing the atf if the transmission is asymtomatic.

Also, suggest you throw a piece of flat cardboard or newspaper underneath the car at night for awhile to check for transmission leaks over the next few days. It's not uncommon to see some people over torque these pan bolts and "pinch" the pan gasket and it will leak, ever so slightly, around one of the pan bolts. Visually, check it over the next few weeks. There is "0" tolerance for leaks on this tranny. If a leak is detected around the pans, just replace the pan gasket....it should be installed, "dry" (no gooey stuff!) also make sure there are no remnant's of the old gasket on the case or the pan. When or if you do replace it in the future.

John

Joe Isuzu
05/19/2008, 02:02 PM
thanks for the support John, the prior gaskets for the tranny pan and the electronic pan in front of it were both stuck on, it was a serious pain to scrape them off without damaging anything, and this doesn't even go into the girief these lousy bolts gave me! haha
as far as leaks go, I had a really small one near the drain plug, tightened that a little more and apparently I'm home free, I did the protective coating tx on the garage floor so in addition to making it easy to clean up spills or drips, it's also pretty easy to see them as well, so far so good
And no, I went cheap and didn't get synthetic, didn't realize that Isuzu says not to mess with it if everything's going ok as I thought it was a 90k service, oh well, thankfully it's none the worse for wear