PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers...again

Joe Isuzu
04/15/2008, 11:00 AM
Anyone know of a site that has objective data on mufflers, like weight, noise (decibel reading I guess), claimed HP advantage? I'm more concerned about weight and noise. I'm in the process of replacing my AM muffler with something a little less "aggressive". Just want to see if there's something out there other than subjective ratings from customers b/c your too loud may sound great to me and vice verce.
Thanks!!!

Chopper
04/17/2008, 03:26 AM
Anyone know of a site that has objective data on mufflers, like weight, noise (decibel reading I guess), claimed HP advantage? I'm more concerned about weight and noise. I'm in the process of replacing my AM muffler with something a little less "aggressive". Just want to see if there's something out there other than subjective ratings from customers b/c your too loud may sound great to me and vice verce.
Thanks!!! Forget Hp. and mpg. gains. they will be "academic" gains...nothing you will "feel". Losing the stock muffler will save you twenty pounds, and that will be your biggest gain. Pick the sound you like.

Joe Isuzu
04/17/2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks Chopper. I realize that HP gains of 5-15 would not really be felt/noticed. Sure it won't hurt but I'm not buying a muffler specifically for HP claims. I'm mainly concerned with finding a muffler a little more tame than what I have, but I don't want to get another muffler that's ALSO too aggressive for me and go through this process again. Yes, I can always get an OEM one but I would be spending big bucks for something that we know is overweight. I've not had much luck thus far with finding hard data with respect to noise levels, like at WOT. Appreciate the input though.

blacksambo
04/21/2008, 08:44 PM
While the stock muffler is heavy it lasts forever. There is something nice about that.

Kenny
04/21/2008, 08:57 PM
Just my $0.02, I'm on my fourth exhaust arrangement (counting stock):
You can typically tame an after market flowmaster, magnaflow, etc.. with glass packs, but our short body can make it a challenge to fit those inserts in - especially if you go duals. It was a squeeze to get mine in.

I find that the short body and the openess of the rear cab makes for a loud ride if you go anything above stock noise levels. It'll be a challenge to try to find a balance between stock and something with bark that you'll like off the hop. The bark is cool, but probably like you I find it can wear off and be annoying or bothersome. I sometimes enjoy getting into other cars and feel the silence.

If your concerned with noise - go beefy and talk with a reputable muffler shop - I ler-ned alot from doze guys, more than from google...
Also, on a 4,000 lb car - the stock muffler mass (~1% ?) is nothing when you factor in a full tank of gas, or bigger rims or roof basket, etc... Maybe the stock muffler helps lower our center of gravity on the trails...;P

Again, just my $0.02 - good luck. Let us know how you make out.

cheers.

cyronman
04/21/2008, 09:14 PM
I find that the short body and the openess of the rear cab makes for a loud ride if you go anything above stock noise levels. It'll be a challenge to try to find a balance between stock and something with bark that you'll like off the hop. The bark is cool, but probably like you I find it can wear off and be annoying or bothersome. I sometimes enjoy getting into other cars and feel the silence.

Agreed.
I loved the sound of the Morgan Tec muffler on my Ironman--for a few months. Then, some days it would absolutely HURT to drive! Completely personal issues--it always sounded great!
When I went back to stock recently, I was very pleased with the stock subtleness--until now. Now I miss the growl again!

:_confused

JoFotoz
04/21/2008, 09:45 PM
Just tracked down a new Flowmaster 44 off road black diamond plate muffler...

3.0 center in...dual 2.5 outs...part# 9430452.

Will it fit...we will see...gonna give it a REAL good try!..reducer for the "in"
Would rather have..'off center' 2.5 in, but I do love the black diamond plate!

If this doesnt work...super 40...still dual out.

Problem is...Dual outs...tight...need a few springs/elastics...to get hoses out'o the way.

Its a toss up....but I want a GROWL ! :eek:

JO

\

Joe Isuzu
04/22/2008, 05:56 AM
I think I'm ok with something louder than OEM, I mean shoot, the VX is never going to be Lexus-quiet, but I also want something quieter than what I ended up with. I'm toying with the idea of going borla. We will see. As far as lasting a long time I'm under the impression if you get a nice muffler the company usually stands behing you anyway.
I also agree that in the big scheme of things, saving 20-30 pounds off a 4400 lb vehicle isn't much to get excited about, but usually if I go AM, I want something "better" than OEM, even if it's only in terms of saving a little bit of weight. My muffler wasn't in great shape, but it worked and it's gone now, so I need to ride this to fruition and end up better off than how I started. My logic speaking here, I will tell everyone how this all ends up.

Ldub
04/22/2008, 06:20 AM
I think I'm ok with something louder than OEM, I mean shoot, the VX is never going to be Lexus-quiet, but I also want something quieter than what I ended up with. I'm toying with the idea of going borla. We will see. As far as lasting a long time I'm under the impression if you get a nice muffler the company usually stands behing you anyway.
I also agree that in the big scheme of things, saving 20-30 pounds off a 4400 lb vehicle isn't much to get excited about, but usually if I go AM, I want something "better" than OEM, even if it's only in terms of saving a little bit of weight. My muffler wasn't in great shape, but it worked and it's gone now, so I need to ride this to fruition and end up better off than how I started. My logic speaking here, I will tell everyone how this all ends up.

FYI, I have a Borla...MUCH lighter than stock, but without the resonator cone I installed in the tip, it was IMO, too loud.
It reminded me of the grain truck (straight six) I learned to drive in on the farm.:smilewink
Though it has mellowed a bit over the last year or two.
If I had it to do over again, I'd go duals with the Morgan Tec that Kenny traded me for a root beer.:razzgray:
Or a flowmaster 40. 1 in, dual out.
Don't get me wrong, I like my Borla...I'm just sayin'.

Just my two centz.:_wrench:

Joe Isuzu
04/22/2008, 06:25 AM
going by memory, I think I have a flowmaster ( I drove the Audi to work today), how do you think your Borla matches up with the flowmaster, noise-wise?

Ldub
04/22/2008, 06:34 AM
going by memory, I think I have a flowmaster ( I drove the Audi to work today), how do you think your Borla matches up with the flowmaster, noise-wise?

Well, I'm going from memory too...:rolleyesg
But as I remember it, the Flowmeister had a deeper, more rumblier (is that even a word?) sound than the Borla.
While the Borla has kind of a rough/raspy (not ricey) sound under hard acceleration, it has a fairly quiet demeanor at cruising speeds, meanng, I hardly notice the exhaust note at highway & cruising around town speeds.
Hope this is helping, & not making the waters more muddy...:smilewink

Kenny
04/22/2008, 06:42 AM
You can also play with sound by the size of your pipes after the muffler.
2.25" is probably typical. 2.5" makes it a bit louder, 2.0" would make it a bit softer.

Also watch out for resonance - it varies with the vehicle not the muffler. So I would recommend a muffler that has baffles AND glass packing.

Joe Isuzu
04/22/2008, 06:42 AM
Well, I'm going from memory too...:rolleyesg
But as I remember it, the Flowmeister had a deeper, more rumblier (is that even a word?) sound than the Borla.
While the Borla has kind of a rough/raspy (not ricey) sound under hard acceleration, it has a fairly quiet demeanor at cruising speeds, meanng, I hardly notice the exhaust note at highway & cruising around town speeds.
Hope this is helping, & not making the waters more muddy...:smilewink

Let's put it this way, if I keep the tach around 2k or less, the flowmaster is fine, above that it's loud and at WOT it's really loud, which judging by some of the posts here is what some people are really wanting! (hint hint, there will be a very gently used flowmaster for sale soon here)
Driving through the neighbourhood, leaving a stoplight, driving at cruising speeds, all of this I want to barely hear the muffler, once again, a little louder than oem is ok, when I'm goosing it, then yea, it's ok to hear some noise, I just don't want to hear it 90% of the time
The Borla customer service people were stating a turbo muffler would likely work, you remember if that's what you have?

Ldub
04/22/2008, 06:52 AM
Yep, it's a turbo.
If you check my profile, the model # is in there.
I experimented with a Supertrapp tip for a while, but eventually went with the perforated cone insert in the tip to knock a few dB off.
I found that at http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DTC%2D72%2D32520&N=700+4294923429+4294922711+115&autoview=sku

Joe Isuzu
04/22/2008, 06:55 AM
Yep, it's a turbo.
If you check my profile, the model # is in there.
I experimented with a Supertrapp tip for a while, but eventually went with the perforated cone insert in the tip to knock a few dB off.
I found that at http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DTC%2D72%2D32520&N=700+4294923429+4294922711+115&autoview=sku

great, appreciate the input LDub!, looking forward to checking it out later, need to get back to work

VehiGAZ
04/22/2008, 08:17 AM
My two cents...

Flowmasters are really loud - you may be shocked at first. I certainly was when I put my Flowmaster 50 Delta in with 2.5" piping. It softened up as it filled with carbon, though, but it is still very loud from 1/3 throttle on up (I feel Joe's pain!). The idle burble is awesome-sounding, though!

I think Kenny is dead-on in his assessment - it gets loud in back. Some sound deadening in the back of the VX should go with an exhaust upgrade (one of my summer projects).

But if you upsize your piping and go with an "unpacked" muffler like the Flowmaster, you will notice a difference in power. It's not hp you're gaining (those come at higher rpm), it's lb-ft of torque off idle that you gain with the less-restrictive exhaust, and I noticed it immediately as I pulled out of the muffler shop when it was all done. I went from chirping the rears inside tire to chirping both the front and rear inside tires.

Good luck!

Kenny
04/22/2008, 04:50 PM
I have two layers of RAAMmat and two layers of ensolite in the back- so much so that my panels don't fit all that right anymore back there. It made little difference in exhaust noise but knocked down the road noise and improved the sound system.

Joe Isuzu
04/23/2008, 07:24 AM
already dynomat'd the floor, it made a very slight difference to me, but hey, something is better than nothing
Also, I just checked and the muffler is a magnaflow, I have to believe that's still a flowmaster product, perhaps the least restrictive product they offer? either way, I am resolving to either replace the muffler or stick some noise diffuser into the tailpipe (see LDub's's prior post in this thread)

VehiGAZ
04/23/2008, 01:33 PM
I see - well, I'll just scratch that off the project list then!

grantCO
04/23/2008, 05:30 PM
I have the Hooker AeroChamber muffler on my 99 with 2.5" pipe done at a local muffler shop with a magnaflow dualwall tip. The note is perfect I can hear my intake over the exhaust note at 3/4 or higher throttle. Nice low growl very close to stock. Muffler can be found cheap on EBAY and is a nice thick shell muffler (helps cut down on interior noise)