PDA

View Full Version : The Human Footprint, anyone watch it?

nfpgasmask
04/14/2008, 10:40 AM
I watched the first half or so last night...and then succumbed to the fatigue of the day's work on the VX.

Anyway, I thought the presentation of the show was a little cheesy (dumping all those bananas into the kids room, etc) but it did make its point. I mean, all things I have thought about before, and still think about regularly, but it is pretty amazing to see a rough calculation of the average American's lifetime of voracious consumer ship.

Did anyone watch it all the way through? Did they try to give some element of hope at the end?

All doom and gloom,

:) Bart

tom4bren
04/14/2008, 11:26 AM
Didn't watch it. I'm waiting till 2012 to pay any attention. I want to be suprised.:)

Scott Harness
04/14/2008, 11:56 AM
I watched some of it. I thought the same thing about the presentation.

kodiak
04/14/2008, 12:00 PM
Like every dominate species before us nature has its ways to keep us in are place. :p

VehiGAZ
04/14/2008, 12:40 PM
Another 2012'er in the house? We are legion!

I missed the show but I was thinking about it over the weekend. I caught a bit of The Gods Must Be Crazy on TV - I thought about the bushman who had only a few items on his person and that's all he had use for. Quite different from the developed world, huh?

nfpgasmask
04/14/2008, 01:48 PM
Another 2012'er in the house? We are legion!

I missed the show but I was thinking about it over the weekend. I caught a bit of The Gods Must Be Crazy on TV - I thought about the bushman who had only a few items on his person and that's all he had use for. Quite different from the developed world, huh?

What really kills me, is that here in America we are the ones consuming the most and making the most waste...there is something very, very wrong with us here in the States...

Bart

nfpgasmask
04/14/2008, 01:52 PM
I watched some of it. I thought the same thing about the presentation.

Yeah, it was kinda like, "you are such a stupid American, that I can't just say 48,748 bananas, so I am going to dump 48,748 bananas from the ceiling of some silly kid's bedroom set, just so your dumb brain might sort of understand". This, in a nut shell, is why I hate 99% of television programming, and all of the movies by Michael Bay. :p

Bart

nfpgasmask
04/14/2008, 01:54 PM
Didn't watch it. I'm waiting till 2012 to pay any attention. I want to be suprised.:)

Well, regardless of what is on TV, if 2012 happens the way you are thinking, it will be a surprise no matter what!

Bart

JHarris1385
04/14/2008, 02:04 PM
This, in a nut shell, is why I hate 99% of television programming, and all of the movies by Michael Bay. :p

Bart

Add Michael Moore to that list..........

Chopper
04/14/2008, 03:30 PM
Didn't watch it. I'm waiting till 2012 to pay any attention. I want to be suprised.:)Me too....that's pretty much my goal line. When stuff keeps on just like it always has, in 2013, we can put all this nonsense behind us, and realize there are no prophets, or "invisible man" gods available to cure or cause our ills.....you've only yourselves to lead you forward. That's a good thing.

nfpgasmask
04/14/2008, 03:44 PM
Me too....that's pretty much my goal line. When stuff keeps on just like it always has, in 2013, we can put all this nonsense behind us, and realize there are no prophets, or "invisible man" gods available to cure or cause our ills.....you've only yourselves to lead you forward. That's a good thing.

I hope it goes that way, so we can finally put all those things that hold us back into the history books, and move forward as proper stewards of Planet Earth....don't hold your breath though, buddy...

Bart

Chopper
04/14/2008, 04:44 PM
I hope it goes that way, so we can finally put all those things that hold us back into the history books, and move forward as proper stewards of Planet Earth....don't hold your breath though, buddy...

Bart Never said it would be painless....it's a dynamic planet. It changes all the time. Just 'cause it's been quiet the last 10,000 years, doesn't mean it will stay that way. Gotta shake two thirds of the population some how....the trick is hanging on to the technology thru the change.

Y33TREKker
04/14/2008, 04:58 PM
Yeah, it was kinda like, "you are such a stupid American, that I can't just say 48,748 bananas, so I am going to dump 48,748 bananas from the ceiling of some silly kid's bedroom set, just so your dumb brain might sort of understand". This, in a nut shell, is why I hate 99% of television programming, and all of the movies by Michael Bay. :p

Bart

I didn't see the show, but it occurs to me that if the show really wanted to get across the point that wastefullness is so bad, they would have found a better use for those 48,748 bananas. :p

kodiak
04/14/2008, 05:11 PM
Waste is a byproduct of prosperity. Waste is good. Just kidding, I haven’t seen this program ether but sounds like the same stuff I’ve been hearing for the past 30 years. ;)

CrnCnn
04/14/2008, 06:46 PM
I just watched about 3/4 of it and turned it off. It seems like something put together for school children. I am no genius or really that smart but I felt like that was really "dumbed down."