PDA

View Full Version : Bought a vehicross this weekend, dropping off at the dealer today...suggestions?

taylorRichie
04/14/2008, 06:21 AM
I'm going to get the following fluids changed:
Oil
Tranny
Front and Rear Axel
Power Steering

---

And then The very first time I unrolled my window... POP off the track, and I heard a screw or something fall to the bottom of the door.

Can anyone tell me what I should expect to be charged for the Window repair?

Also is there any other suggested maintenance you guys would recommend having done?

The vehicle has 47500 miles, and is a 2000, it wasn't due for an oil change, but I figured I might as well do it, along with the other fluids so I can get everything on my schedule.

Thanks!

Richie

Ldub
04/14/2008, 07:36 AM
I'm going to get the following fluids changed:
Oil
Tranny
Front and Rear Axel
Power Steering

---

And then The very first time I unrolled my window... POP off the track, and I heard a screw or something fall to the bottom of the door.

Can anyone tell me what I should expect to be charged for the Window repair?

Also is there any other suggested maintenance you guys would recommend having done?

The vehicle has 47500 miles, and is a 2000, it wasn't due for an oil change, but I figured I might as well do it, along with the other fluids so I can get everything on my schedule.

Thanks!

Richie

Welcome to the group...:thumbup:

Do a forums search "window fix" to find the best solution, the factory window attachment points are junk.:_wrench:

Have all fluids replaced with synthetics.

KaNGiX
04/14/2008, 07:43 AM
I read here as well you need to watch the PVC valve. Ive replaced mine every other oil change.

MashyMan
04/14/2008, 07:57 AM
CONGRATS on your new VX
I would also change the PCV valve ($5). I plan to do mine every oil change, as I have read they get clogged often. I would also go w/ synthetic fluids all around.

tom4bren
04/14/2008, 07:59 AM
While it's up on the rack, have them check the condition of your CV boots. If your ride isn't lifted, it shouldn't be a problem but it never hurts to check.

nfpgasmask
04/14/2008, 08:29 AM
Congrats on the new ride! The only suggestion I have for you, is show up in Moab around the 13th of May, and have a good time with us all!

:p Bart

Triathlete
04/14/2008, 09:32 AM
I second what Bart said!
And welcome to the addiction!

kodiak
04/14/2008, 10:04 AM
Welcome, Another VXer in UT nice.

Another thing I would suggest is to double check the transmission fill plug after they service it. Some times they don’t seat it properly and it will leak. Congrats! :)

VehiGAZ
04/14/2008, 10:30 AM
Welcome!!

My dealer did the window fix for about $275 (twice) IIRC. They part they will want to replace is called the "window regulator." If you are mechanically inclined, ask for the original regulator back and rebuild the window tabs when you get it back from the dealer.

Here's the big thing... check the oil level and keep an eye on it! Check it at every fill-up, note when (mileage) you need to add and how much, etc. Some VX's burn significant amounts of oil, and you don't want to have a blown engine inform you that yours is (was) one of them.

Anita
04/14/2008, 10:45 AM
Do have them check the EGR for clogging.. very important to keep it clean.

LittleBeast
04/14/2008, 02:02 PM
While it's up on the rack, have them check the condition of your CV boots. If your ride isn't lifted, it shouldn't be a problem but it never hurts to check.

Yeah exactly my stock CV Boots lasted 110,000 miles with normal driving conditions and then both outer CV boots went bad within 4,000 miles of each other, but just order the parts and do them your self, it is fun not hard and worth it.

LittleBeast
04/14/2008, 02:04 PM
But really the only suggestion I have is, check the trans fluid level after leaving the dealership. I did not and they did not properly run it through the gears and then refill and it burnt up the trans and $3800 later I still have problems. So just check your trans fluid level, even if they say it is right, please.

crager34
04/14/2008, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the group. See you in Moab right? RIGHT??!!!!

hehehe

Solitude
04/14/2008, 05:17 PM
Hi and welcome.. If you have an original cd changer in the VX dont put cd's in it you want to keep.. My player just went T.U. (o)(o). and I only have 38,000 miles on it.. but it is 8 years old.. burn cd-r's instead.. just my 2 cents

welcome

kodiak
04/14/2008, 05:22 PM
Hi and welcome.. If you have an original cd changer in the VX dont put cd's in it you want to keep.. My player just went T.U. (o)(o). and I only have 38,000 miles on it.. but it is 8 years old.. burn cd-r's instead.. just my 2 cents

welcome

I replaced mine with a in dash DVD player with and adapter for the head unit. It looks OEM. and plays mp3.:phttp://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/MyVX002.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9469)

etlsport
04/14/2008, 05:58 PM
congrats! definitely use the search function, itll help you lots! probably what you heard fall was one of the plastic clips on the bottom of the window.. if thats the case they will have to replace the entire window.. if they try to charge you an arm and a leg... or tell you its on back order, order the metal upgrades from SBC http://www.streetboutiquecustoms.com/vx.htm

KaNGiX
04/14/2008, 06:07 PM
Im a professional mechanic cant you tell? I knew i should have used the color and described it. :_confused:

kodiak
04/14/2008, 06:30 PM
He is probably still at the dealers throwing up in his own mouth about the cost of the new window. :eek:;puke:

Silicon spray is your friend!

taylorRichie
04/15/2008, 06:14 AM
Thanks for all the responses...

Very much appreciated!

I will make it out to Moab I'm sure.. Just got back from there a couple weeks ago (camping) but I'll go again.

Won't be wheeling though, have no skills, and not sure I have the stomach for it... but I'd love to do a couple ride alongs if possible.

As for the window... OUCH! Won't hear back for a couple hours (before noon today MST)

I sure hope that's not the case, if it is, I won't have them do anything, I'll do it myself, and order that upgrade kit. I'm mechanically inclined, I just figured being a new vehicle (to me) that I'd have them give it a good once over.

I have a couple receipts from the previous owner on window fixes and he only paid $100 each time it was fixed, but that was through a private mechanic not dealer. He told me that if he keeps it lubed it doesn't have an issue... I only made it around the corner of his house before mine went off track :(

Here's to hoping for the best.

Thanks for the welcome.

taylorRichie
04/15/2008, 06:19 AM
Regarding the Street Boutique kit...

Is this a permanent fix? Will this make it so I will never have to deal with Window track issues again? If so I'll just order the kit wether the dealer can fix it or not (without window replacement)

Thanks

Ldub
04/15/2008, 06:25 AM
Regarding the Street Boutique kit...

Is this a permanent fix? Will this make it so I will never have to deal with Window track issues again? If so I'll just order the kit wether the dealer can fix it or not (without window replacement)

Thanks

Well...never is an awfully long time, but...
With this kit properly installed & regular lube & cleaning of the channels, you should be problem free for a good long time.:_wrench:

etlsport
04/15/2008, 06:39 AM
one thing about lubing the window tracks is if you use something like WD-40 it makes the windows even worse.. make sure you are using silicon lubricant or graphite lubricant, and the cleaner your tracks are the better the lubrication is going to work (just get a putty knife wrapped in a soft towel and scrub the insides of the tracks, ive been window problem free with all the stock components in there for over a year

kodiak
04/15/2008, 12:14 PM
When I first purchased my VX I didn’t touch my windows tell I got it home and silicon spread the tracks. That was a big thing on this sight at the time, luckily I haven’t had any problems. The previous owner was a lawyer and was pretty anal about warranty fixes, lucky me. I actually had a hard time getting the title from the dealer, it seams the lawyer was having second thoughts about his trade in and wanted his VX back. I guess its hard to be special and then not. :p

taylorRichie
04/15/2008, 02:10 PM
You guys called it!!

$350 new window installed, And back ordered ;)

I called and said I'd pass on the new window and that I was going to install an aftermarket bracket for it...

She said no problem.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Richie

kodiak
04/15/2008, 02:13 PM
You guys called it!!

I called and said I'd pass on the new window and that I was going to install an aftermarket bracket for it...

She said no problem.

Richie

Good Call!

Solitude
04/15/2008, 03:38 PM
I replaced mine with a in dash DVD player with and adapter for the head unit. It looks OEM. and plays mp3.:phttp://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/MyVX002.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9469)

Looks good... I am looking more into just building a new stereo and doing away with all the old components..

I bought the "window fix from SBC and had SBC install them (since it was only a 50 mile drive to his business).. they work awesome.. yes lubricating is still a good idea.. but I promise you .. the window tabs will not break ever again.. its a good fix.

Jeff

etlsport
04/15/2008, 07:00 PM
You guys called it!!

She said no problem.

Richie

awesome! glad to help.. how about sending some of that money you saved towards the site :thumbup:

taylorRichie
04/16/2008, 06:40 AM
awesome! glad to help.. how about sending some of that money you saved towards the site :thumbup:

Done...

I was planning on putting it toward Moab, but... I guess I wouldn't even know the Moab trip was happening if it wasn't for the site... So I guess I'll fore go moab to help out the site.

:p

Ha j/k! Thanks site and site members

Ldub
04/16/2008, 06:46 AM
Done...

I was planning on putting it toward Moab, but... I guess I wouldn't even know the Moab trip was happening if it wasn't for the site... So I guess I'll fore go moab to help out the site.

:p

Ha j/k! Thanks site and site members

Well hell...Good on you Bro.

Welcome to the newest site supporter! :thumbup:...:dance:

Wish more had your thoughts on, & attitude toward, supporting a site that can save you thousand$.

taylorRichie
04/16/2008, 07:16 AM
I'm no stranger to the web world, or forums... I was a member and leading poster on ZR2.com for several years... You can dig up old stories about my truck by searching keywords such as: Vandalized ZR2, ZR2 Shot with SHotgun, ZR2 Tires slashed ;) Not fun :(

I'll try to find some pictures for you guys.

Anyway, I did have a question, does anyone have a write up on Lubing the windows?

Just pop off the door panel and spray everything really good?

Recommended Lube? Has anyone used an axel grease or something that isn't "Consumable" so it'll last longer.

taylorRichie
04/16/2008, 07:41 AM
Shot of my old truck... Been gone since June 1st 2001.

kodiak
04/16/2008, 11:24 AM
Shot of my old truck... Been gone since June 1st 2001.

Nice! Looks like you put a lot of love into that truck, Did you sell it?

Greasemonkey
04/16/2008, 11:42 AM
Hi Guys i just have to show you all my new toy -
couple of questions -
can you get a custom roof bar for some spot lights
and i also want a low down base tree stump and rock slider for the front and sides can any one tell me if there is any holes in the chassis rail to fit these items front and sides
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/16042008066-1.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/16042008067.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/16042008068.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/16042008069.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/16042008070.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/16042008071.jpg
cheers
Steve

kodiak
04/16/2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Guys i just have to show you all my new toy -
couple of questions -
can you get a custom roof bar for some spot lights
and i also want a low down base tree stump and rock slider for the front and sides can any one tell me if there is any holes in the chassis rail to fit these items front and sides
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/16042008066-1.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/16042008067.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/16042008068.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/16042008069.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/16042008070.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/16042008071.jpg
cheers
Steve

Nice VX! You need to hunt down Jeremy Clarkson and show him what a real performance SUV looks like. :p

JHarris1385
04/16/2008, 11:55 AM
Grease awesome VX. I sent you an email.

VehiGAZ
04/16/2008, 12:10 PM
Very nice look in all-silver! Welcome to your new home-away-from-home!

There was a factory roof rack for the VX to which you can attach off-road lights, but they are no longer available in the US. Call around to some Isuzu dealers and see if anyone can find one for you. If not, start watching eBay for one and be ready to pay too much.

Rhino bars and rock sliders are available from some fabricators. Please search the site forums and you will find just about every bit of information you are looking for. Good luck!

Ldub
04/16/2008, 02:52 PM
Anyway, I did have a question, does anyone have a write up on Lubing the windows?

Just pop off the door panel and spray everything really good?

Recommended Lube? Has anyone used an axel grease or something that isn't "Consumable" so it'll last longer.

Either spray silicone, or dry graphite powder are the favorite flavors around here...any type of grease in an "open" environment, is gonna pick up dust & other contaminents, & compound the problem.
I like a product called "Jigaloo"...also I am about to try a "dry" lubricant I found in the local hardware, designed for sliding windows & patio doors.:_wrench:
Pop the panels & get into the tracks with a rag folded 2-4 layers thick on a butter knife or something to clean the accumulated gunk out of the channel before lubing.

etlsport
04/16/2008, 03:58 PM
Either spray silicone, or dry graphite powder are the favorite flavors around here...any type of grease in an "open" environment, is gonna pick up dust & other contaminents, & compound the problem.
I like a product called "Jigaloo"...also I am about to try a "dry" lubricant I found in the local hardware, designed for sliding windows & patio doors.:_wrench:
Pop the panels & get into the tracks with a rag folded 2-4 layers thick on a butter knife or something to clean the accumulated gunk out of the channel before lubing.

x2.. i started using jigaloo because of sir dub.. i found that it actually slows my windows at first.. then after a few hours it works beautifully

taylorRichie
04/16/2008, 05:16 PM
Nice! Looks like you put a lot of love into that truck, Did you sell it?

Nope...

Broke a tie rod up in the hills... (remote, no one around) Locked it up, was gone for 4 hours. 12:00AM - 4:00AM (ish) and when I got back my truck was destroyed.

Every window broken, every tire slashed, mirrors broken, Rock through the sunroof and busted up dash. Shot gun blasts all around.

But they were nice enough to leave me a message on the tailgate "Chevy's suck"

And that was the end.

-----

Thanks for the tips on the window, my new brackets shipped today so hopefully this weekend (probably first of next week) I'll be doing the repair/maintenance/modifications.

Then I'll probably hit up the local trailer fab shop about building me a Tone style hitch.

kodiak
04/16/2008, 05:38 PM
Nope...

Broke a tie rod up in the hills... (remote, no one around) Locked it up, was gone for 4 hours. 12:00AM - 4:00AM (ish) and when I got back my truck was destroyed.

Every window broken, every tire slashed, mirrors broken, Rock through the sunroof and busted up dash. Shot gun blasts all around.

But they were nice enough to leave me a message on the tailgate "Chevy's suck"

And that was the end.

-----

Thanks for the tips on the window, my new brackets shipped today so hopefully this weekend (probably first of next week) I'll be doing the repair/maintenance/modifications.

Then I'll probably hit up the local trailer fab shop about building me a Tone style hitch.

Sorry man, that must of really hit you hard. Its good that you’ve put that behind you and now you have a new truck to love. But when its all said and done, there'er just vehicles. :)

Ldub
04/16/2008, 07:17 PM
But when its all said and done, there'er just vehicles. :)

:sighwgray.Blasphemy.:rolleyesg

Greasemonkey
04/17/2008, 09:33 AM
Hi i may just see if Clarkson wants to have a little go just out of curiosity
PMSL if he does and it gets a mention i shall have to You tube it
email on the way to top gear when i have the VX at beginning of may
Cheers
Steve

kodiak
04/17/2008, 09:57 AM
Hi i may just see if Clarkson wants to have a little go just out of curiosity
PMSL if he does and it gets a mention i shall have to You tube it
email on the way to top gear when i have the VX at beginning of may
Cheers
Steve

That would be cool if the Stig took your VX around the track. You would probably be put up against the Porsche Cayenne. :p

kodiak
04/17/2008, 10:27 AM
:sighwgray.Blasphemy.:rolleyesg

Except for yours Ldub.:rolleyes:

creeg
04/17/2008, 11:49 AM
Nice VX! You need to hunt down Jeremy Clarkson and show him what a real performance SUV looks like. :p

What is the purpose of that small red tailight at the bottom of the rear bumper?

kodiak
04/17/2008, 12:01 PM
What is the purpose of that small red tailight at the bottom of the rear bumper?

It’s a British law you need to have one to be legal. I think it’s a fog light?

Chopper
04/17/2008, 01:59 PM
Except for yours Ldub.:rolleyes: Hey! 0177 is family!:bgwo:

Ldub
04/17/2008, 04:36 PM
Except for yours Ldub.:rolleyes:

LOL...and Choppers.:smilewink

And let us not forget all the rest of my extended VX family, we had better include them too...:thumbup:

Bowties, Blu Ovals, & Rams might be "just hunks of metal & rubber & stuff, but VX's have a soul I'm pretty sure.:cool:

kodiak
04/17/2008, 04:47 PM
LOL...and Choppers.:smilewink

And let us not forget all the rest of my extended VX family, we had better include them too...:thumbup:

Bowties, Blu Ovals, & Rams might be "just hunks of metal & rubber & stuff, but VX's have a soul I'm pretty sure.:cool:

Ok!Ok!Ok! So if a VX had been destroyed it would have bin a homicide seen and not vandalism. :p

Ldub
04/17/2008, 04:54 PM
Ok!Ok!Ok! So if a VX had been destroyed it would have bin a homicide seen and not vandalism. :p

Yep...CSI's "carmocide" division would have been called.:smilewink

kodiak
04/17/2008, 04:59 PM
"carmocide"

LOL! You got it.:p

taylorRichie
04/17/2008, 05:45 PM
CSI was actually on the scene and later came to my house to finger print the vehicle...

Nothing ever came of it :( And we had good leads too... Just don't think they cared enough. If it happens again, I'm going to stick to a bicycle for a while... don't think I can take it.

Ldub
04/17/2008, 05:50 PM
CSI was actually on the scene and later came to my house to finger print the vehicle...

Nothing ever came of it :( And we had good leads too... Just don't think they cared enough. If it happens again, I'm going to stick to a bicycle for a while... don't think I can take it.

No problem with that happening in Moab...yer newest, bestus unkL dub always carries a spare tie rod & more tools than a lot of mom & pop gas stations have ever seen.:smilewink

taylorRichie
04/19/2008, 04:29 PM
That's good to know that everyone's looking out for each other ;) I just would've sat in my truck with a shotgun and sent friends to get the parts if it happened again.

(or maybe hid in the hills with my 20" Barreled AR15)

Quick question though... my new window channels showed up from SBC, and I NEED to install them...

Any suggestions? Advice? Tips?

What did you use as your adhesive? Commercial Hot Glue? Is it straight forward?

What about panel removal?

Thanks!!

Richie

kodiak
04/19/2008, 05:21 PM
That's good to know that everyone's looking out for each other ;) I just would've sat in my truck with a shotgun and sent friends to get the parts if it happened again.

(or maybe hid in the hills with my 20" Barreled AR15)

My late grandma would do the same thing. This is her with my old bushmaster.:rolleyes:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/GAR15800.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10930)

taylorRichie
04/19/2008, 05:32 PM
Ha that's great...

I've' got a Bushmaster HBAR 20" with Leupold 6-18X Mark 2 scope.

Fun gun...

Hope the install goes well for me... beginning now.

taylorRichie
04/19/2008, 06:47 PM
Wow! That was easy... About 30 min start to finish...

I highly recommend that mod. I did squeeze a bit too much Hot glue in one of my brackets... so it wouldn't slide on... so I used the other bracket...

Now I've got to clean out the passenger side bracket before I can install that one... (which I won't do until that side breaks).

kodiak
04/19/2008, 07:01 PM
Nice! I need to order that kit for mine, just in case.:bgwo: I miss my old AR15 I need to get another one I tried a friends AK47 but It just wasn’t the same. The only reason people buy AK47s is because they cant afford an AR15.:p

taylorRichie
04/19/2008, 09:30 PM
Highly recommend the kit... AR's are fun, but I grin more when shooting an AK... I just hit less "Stuff" The ammo is so cheap you just point it at a nearby cardboard box and go at it with the AK... The AR, I take my time, set up something far down range and then shoot one shot at a time...

Anything that goes bang is fun :p

Heading out tooele way tomorrow to go chuck some brass.