PDA

View Full Version : Where is the antenna connection?

VehiX
06/19/2003, 08:25 PM
Hello everyone,

I am installing XM radio (Delphi SkyFi) this weekend and need to know where the cable that runs from the radio to the antena is?

I need to install the FM modulator and it connects between the radio and the antena. Problem is I have know idea where this connection is? :confused:

Anyone wanna make this install easy for me so I don't have to go looking for it and tear the VX apart? :smack:

I know the folks that have dynomatted may know best where it is.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appeciated.

Thank you

:):confused:

AnalogVX
06/19/2003, 08:38 PM
Which end are you looking for? There is one end obviously behind the radio. The wire runs up the driver's pillar along the headliner on the drivers side and the antenna end is accessible from under the panel above the rear hatch.

VehiX
06/19/2003, 09:02 PM
Not sure what end yet?

Does the antena wire unplug from the stock radio? Or is it hard wired? OR, is there a place where the wire from the radio connects to the antenna where I can place my FM modulator right int he middle of it ?

The FM modulator goes right between the antenna and the radio so what ever is easier to get to would be preferable :)

Here is a pic of what I have, this needs to go between the antena connection, just need to know where the best place to put it is?

http://www.dishidaho.com/xmradio/inthecar/skyfi_fm_modulator_lg.jpg

Thank you :)

AnalogVX
06/19/2003, 09:16 PM
The anntena unplugs from the back of the radio. I am not familiar with XM radio modulators, but I have used a CD changer with an FM modulator and I would think it's the same concept.
Unplug the antenna from the radio, plug in the FM modulator, and then plug the antenna into the modulator.
You would then tune the radio to a specified frequency and turn on the XM to recieve satelite signals.
Hope that helps:)

VehiX
06/19/2003, 09:59 PM
hehehe :)

my VX will be receving satelite signals :rolly2:

Cool !!! :cooly:

Wish me luck with the install.

Spike
06/20/2003, 09:26 AM
Actually, You are picking up signals from cellular-like repeater towers. And those towers are picking up the satellite signals.

Still very cool.

XM and Sirius are very nice products, I wish there was a way to select what songs you wanted to hear, though.

I think I might opt to get a hard drive player for my VX at some point in the future (the list keeps growing, and faster than the funds)

Yes, usually the modulator plugs in to the antenna jack on the radio itself, and the FM antenna cable plugs into the other end of the modulator. So you will have to get behind the dash.

Good luck with your installation!

Enjoy!

driver3
06/20/2003, 10:34 AM
Wait.. so then it's not really satelite radio, it uses the cell towers? I'm expecting to be able to pick up an xm signal in the most remote areas in the US... will I be able to do that? Cell phones can't...

Spike
06/20/2003, 12:31 PM
Don't be too concerned... unless you are a thousand miles from nowhere, there shouldnt be a problem.

They definitely have a lot more coverage than cell phones.

The transmitters are stronger. The distance a tower can broadcast is a lot farther.
Plus the antenna and recievers are much more sensitive than a cell phone.

At one time there was a coverage map on the XM site...
But at the time, they said it was coverage for MOST of the US

"Why Reception Stays Strong
Originating at the XM broadcast center, XM's broadcast signal is beamed from two huge earth-station antennas to our broadcast satellites, known affectionately as "Rock" and "Roll". But despite their names, these satellites don't move; positioned more than 22,000 miles above the earth in geostationary orbit, their beams combine to span the entire contiguous U.S. while remaining stationary with respect to the land below. This enables XM's signal to reach from coast to coast. Ground antennas, or repeaters, keep the signal strong in challenging locales such as urban canyons."

After reading that, they make it sound like it uses both. Hmm.. quite interesting.

I know one thing from experience, tunnels.. even short ones, you usually lose signal for 2-5 seconds.

WyrreJ
06/20/2003, 07:25 PM
Yes, it does use both. The repeaters are useful in concrete canyon situations (aka, the big city) because you need line-of-site to the satellite to receive the signal from the satellite (just like GPS). But you don't need line of site when using a ground-station repeater because they have much stronger signals.

VehiX
06/22/2003, 09:50 AM
My XM install is complete :)

Took me several hours to do though, mainly because I wanted to take my time and do a good professional install. I didn't trust taking it in to any place and have some kids that have never worked on a VX attempt to do it ;eeko;

The installation is awsome, very clean and stealthy. No wires can be seen anywhere!!!

The stations are awsome and it's nice to have such a variety of music of all sorts to choose from.

I am happy with the finished results ;Do;

Ok, time to go play now :cool: