PDA

View Full Version : New to VX, Who's in arizona?

VCross007
04/12/2008, 03:57 PM
Hey all, I just bought my 01 kaiser a month ago and im living in peoria arizona, northwest of phoenix. I was wondering who's in the area, and where they've taken their vx's. I've heard of some good trails such as broken airrow, and the back road to crown king. Can our cars make it through trails such as that stock? I'm currently running all stock cept for a k & n filter. I dont know all the off road capabilities yet but i love off roading/camping/exploring. anyone in the area let me know!!

Ldub
04/12/2008, 04:16 PM
Hey all, I just bought my 01 kaiser a month ago and im living in peoria arizona, northwest of phoenix. I was wondering who's in the area, and where they've taken their vx's. I've heard of some good trails such as broken airrow, and the back road to crown king. Can our cars make it through trails such as that stock? I'm currently running all stock cept for a k & n filter. I dont know all the off road capabilities yet but i love off roading/camping/exploring. anyone in the area let me know!!

Welcome...the addiction is a strong one, but well worth submitting to.:smilewink

If you do a forums search on "Arizona" you'll find TONS of info.

Also, in the quick links, open the members list & search that for Ariz.

OR, in members list, find Triathlete, then "all posts by Triathlete", he organizes many of the Ariz. off road excursions.

Good Luck...say, Moab Zuzoo is in May ya know.:naughty:

Triathlete
04/12/2008, 05:10 PM
Yep, there are quite a few of us here...some more active than others. i am in Tucson along with VXCaver and TucsonVX. VCamilo is in Phoenix. We are probably the most active in the area but there are at least another dozen or so that are on this board (Multimediaman, Zu4Two, and a few others are up in your area also). You will find that your VX will do quite well even in the stock form. Then when you want to up the ante you can put a small lift and bigger tires and make it a beast. I have done, along with other VX's, Crown King, the Coke Ovens and Box Canyon trails in Florence, Chivo Falls, Ambulance Trail, Hackberry Creek, Camping on the Mogollan Rim, Charouleau Gap, Gunsight Pass, Chimney Rock, Bull Springs, and a slew of others. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Also, as said above, it is only a short 4 weeks away from the annual Moab pilgrimage! Lots of VX's, Zu's and 4 wheeling! There will be many stock VX's there and many rookie wheelers to have fun with! Here is a link to the info if you are interested. (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12568)
Watch the calandar for all the future trips!
And welcome!

Solitude
04/12/2008, 11:16 PM

I have been up the back way from lake pleasant to crown king.. was alot of fun.. wasn't good on the original bridgestones though.. but I needed a good reason to get them nittos anyway:bwgy: there is a cool mountain out west.. tallest mountain in southern arizona.. has an old smithsonian weather observatory on it.. there are tons of places to 4wheel.. anyways.. welcome to the club..

VCross007
04/13/2008, 11:42 AM
hey guys thanks. i go up to lake pleasant alot and put around up there, and this thing is quite capable. I come from sports cars and what not, so im kinda new to modding for off road. my parents have a landrover that's quite capable, and the vx can follow in its footsteps. I have done the elbow mod, and the k n N filter. I want to put on 285 60 18s, the nittos, and a 3 inch lift. but i dont know what's all involved. I was hoping on putting on 32 or 33 inch tires in the future but far down the line. If I go the back road to crown king, what do I have to be careful of at stock height with continental tires? can I make it all by myself? and what all is involved with a simple 3" lift and bigger tires?

Triathlete
04/13/2008, 01:36 PM
Crown King is a fairly easy trail with a few difficult spots near the top. There is one step that is a bit of a side hill and then it gets rocky. I don't recommend ever going 4 wheeling as the only vehicle...you never know what can happen.

VCross007
04/13/2008, 08:58 PM
oh i know, and i wouldnt go anywhere too crazy with only one vehicle, and it's always nice to ahve a spotter too. My mom and I moved out here two years ago and im still tryin to find people to hang out with. IF you guys ever want to plan a trip around arizona let me know. I know some good places at lake pleasant, and im tryin to do my homework for other areas. Has anyone traveled the trails above Jerome? I also remember reading about being able to wade deep with these cars in one of the magazines years ago, does anyone know our stock wading depth?

Triathlete
04/13/2008, 09:09 PM
You need to keep the water out of the intake. If you get it in there you are screwed...hydrolock!
We will probably have at least a couple of trips this year! Also plan on being at our annual fall camping trip (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12251&highlight=Fall+VX+camping)! It is a nice relaxing trip with fellow VXers!:cool:

Ldub
04/13/2008, 09:44 PM
I also remember reading about being able to wade deep with these cars in one of the magazines years ago, does anyone know our stock wading depth?

The main problem is waterborne dirt killing the alternator.:sighwgray

VCross007
04/13/2008, 10:00 PM
Yea man I'm definitely up for it. What would a general 3" lift and tire upgrade generally run? I'll probably not do crazy off road stuff but just to have it in case i need the ability. what would you suggest? HAs anyone gone up around jerome?

VXIRONwoMAN
04/14/2008, 12:04 AM
Yea man I'm definitely up for it. What would a general 3" lift and tire upgrade generally run? I'll probably not do crazy off road stuff but just to have it in case i need the ability. what would you suggest? HAs anyone gone up around jerome?

Correct me if I am off...but this is about what I paid...

You can get rear OME 912 springs from Rocky Road Outfitters for about $130 http://www.rocky-road.com/vehicross.html , tires??? It depends on what kind you want... and if you are using the same wheels you have or buying new wheels, too. I just got my full size spare for $170 and my wheel to go with it was $80, so figure about 1k for all for tires with wheels plus $130 for the springs for the lift. So, we'll say $1,300, give or take, to factor in shipping costs/taxes.

Are you doing the work yourself? Or are you going to be paying for labor?

VCross007
04/14/2008, 06:14 PM
Im not sure yet. My manager at work said she'd help me. I dont know how to do this stuff by myself, I've never done any of this to a car before. I want to hopefully keep the stock rims. I want to go with either 32 or 33 inch tires, or goin with the 265 60 18s terra grapplers. i also want to keep somewhat decent fuel mileage, as i get about 320 to a tank:nuke::_steering

Solitude
04/14/2008, 09:26 PM
i have the 255 55 18 nittos.. still get 320 to the tank.. there are alot of posts here for everything you are trying to figure out.. alot of how too's and just a great source of mods and information about your new fixation.. as far as the crown king trail goes.. the stair step towards the top was the hairiest part.. and I did have a spotter.. good luck and have fun

If you arent running all the time with the power light on.. try it.. it may increase your fuel mileage