PDA

View Full Version : h3 55w fog lamps

Francesco Rizzo
04/09/2008, 03:29 PM
went to walmart and wanted a replacement bulb for my Vx, but only found one that would fit the rodeo '99. Anyway, I got home and of was annoyed because they didn't fit: no worries after a minute as I up the bulb housing/insert and stuck the buld in the stock unit.... holy cow, these are bright! I can't wait for the sun to go down so I can test 'em out. I lost my camera so I couldn't take a before/after pic, but I'll be able to grab my g/f's camera later and post by tomorrow. I just need to wait and see if anything gets messed up with the new 55 watt bulbs that are in there considering how weak the stocks are. Oh, by the way.. the stock fog lamps have "nissan" printed on them.. never noticed that before

Zorak
04/09/2008, 05:17 PM
I had the 18w Malibu lamps in mine...took em out because they got too hot and I was afraid the housing would warp or even melt...can't imagine how hot a 55w bulb would get...;oor;

mdwyer
04/09/2008, 07:15 PM
I had the 18w Malibu lamps in mine...

Are you talking about those bulbs that you put in landscape lighting? That's normally a pretty good trick. Home Depot sells the exact same bulb at two different prices. If you buy it from the light bulb aisle, it costs quite a bit more than if you buy it from the lawnmower aisle.

I haven't used them in auto lights, though... just indoor reading lights.

tomdietrying
04/09/2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I was one of my first mods 5 years ago when I purchaced the VX. I've had the malibu 18 watt bulbs in for about that long. The bulbs themselves last about two years.

I've never had any problems with them getting too hot or melting the housing.
I do agree with Zorak. I would closly monitor those 55 watt bulbs. If they don't melt anything, let us know. I might want to try them.

Peace.
Tom

etlsport
04/09/2008, 08:22 PM
yea i upgraded to the malibu bulbs right away too, then after that upgraded again to the piaa W2s which made a night and day difference on the malibus as well. havent had any issues with heat and they have been left on for well over 3-4 hours at a time

tomdietrying
04/10/2008, 06:24 AM
etlsport, so are the PIAA W2s bulbs like the Malibus, or is it the whole inside housing? If it's just the bulbs, I think I'll try it.
Peace.
Tom

Francesco Rizzo
04/10/2008, 06:53 AM
my fog lamps are screaming, "I'm melting! oh, what a world. what a world..." bad idea.. no one try and use 55 watt bulbs, I repeat, no one try and use 55 watt bulbs in their stock fog lamps- it is not good! The heat will destroy them. They were actually looking brighter than my headlamps.. but now the black/amber plastic lense does not permit much of the brilliant light to be emitted. I will be research replacement's now.

etlsport
04/10/2008, 07:53 AM
yea they are just bulbs..
http://www.ttstuff.com/images/piaa/PIAA-19224_540.jpg

i picked mine up at a local speed shop that sells a lot of piaa for i think 15 bucks

they also give your fogs a blueish tint when they are turned off, pretty much pure white when they are lit.. ill take a comparison shot tonight or tomorrow night, i still have my malibus around here somewhere

JHarris1385
04/10/2008, 08:44 AM
Those are still 18w right? There is that much considerable difference? How much did you pay? I found a few on ebay in the $20 shipped range.

VCrossfan
04/10/2008, 09:21 AM
I myself have had differents styles, now I have a simple Trunk/Dome light bulb. It's good and bright installed 2 months ago and no melting signs yet...I'll keep ya posted...

etlsport
04/10/2008, 05:15 PM
ok took the photos but they didnt turn out quite as well as i thought they would. The piaas are mainly a color difference over the Piaas, they are much whiter, but both are bright enough that the camera didnt really pick up on the color difference, i do think there is a noticable difference in the brightness.. still not "fog light" quality though