PDA

View Full Version : I Hurt!!!!

VXIRONwoMAN
04/07/2008, 05:40 PM
I just got my bottom two wisdom teeth yanked! I feel like I just got punched in the jaw! I'm bleeding like I did too. OWIE!!!!!!!! I look like a chipmunk too! I decided to do local anesthesia, and supposedly took it like a champ! But now I am hurtin'!!! I don't like to take drugs either... so I am trying to tough it out. I can even swallow water! WTH?! Water is neutral!!! It shouldn't hurt! ARG!!!

pbkid
04/07/2008, 05:50 PM
oh ow...that sucks...yea getting your mouth messed with is one of the worst things in my opinion....

Joe_Black
04/07/2008, 06:06 PM
I feel for ya! Had all four done when I was 17 and it put me down for three days. So much for the young healing faster!

Ldub
04/07/2008, 06:25 PM
Hang in there Kiddo...big bro sendin' good vibes your way.:thumbup:

Feel better soon.

tomdietrying
04/07/2008, 06:30 PM
Ouch! That doesn't sound like fun at all. On the positive side, think of all the room your mouth will have without those awful wisdom teeth in the way. Trust me your mouth will thank you for this later.

I hope your recovery is quick and the pain eases by the hour.

Peace.
Tom

Phantom
04/07/2008, 06:42 PM
My sympathies to you. I just had all four of mine yanked and it took me out for the better part of two days. I hope you got the dissolvable stitches as I have to go in nest week and have them removed >.> They wouldn't let me do local and put me down.

My lower jaw was numb for about a day. I had to touch my lower lip when I was drinking something so I knew I wasn't chewing my lip off! Just relax for a few days and you will be fine. Remember no crunchy foods for a couple weeks, unless you like the taste of blood! :eek:

Pepino
04/07/2008, 06:57 PM
im getting mine pulled out soon!!

Hotsauce
04/07/2008, 07:52 PM
Sleep heals, but if it hurts too much to lie down and sleep take the meds.

You won't heal quickly if you get zero sleep.

I don't like to take meds either, but the first night or 2 with something like that I would.

John C.

etlsport
04/07/2008, 08:08 PM
get well soon! like john just said.. sometimes its good to take meds to help the healing process.. i dont like taking it either but on occasion it just helps!

VCrossfan
04/07/2008, 08:56 PM
Been There...Tough it out, And we know you will...:D:goof::D:goof:

don moore
04/07/2008, 09:54 PM
ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ou ch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch ..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch.. ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch..ouch........hope you feel better

Ldub
04/07/2008, 09:58 PM
I guess "rub some dirt on it & walk it off", "cowboy up" & Robitussin, would all be considered bad advice in this application...:rolleyesg

kodiak
04/08/2008, 12:55 AM
My dentist keeps bugging me to take out mine and I keep telling him to go f#%$ himself.:p

tom4bren
04/08/2008, 04:03 AM
Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Everyone recovers differently so listen to your body & let it recover at it's own pace. Twin Bro & I had ours out the same day when we were kids. I was up washing the car 3 hours later - he slept for 2 days.

WormGod
04/08/2008, 07:37 AM
Had mine plucked in college. They were impacted so I had to go the route of having them broken up and then having the pieces taken out. Didnt sound pleasant but I was knocked out during the process.

My body is fairly immune to pain so I really didnt have any after effects that hampered me. Hell, I had the cotton in for a few hours after I was home but by nightfall, I was out with the guys drinking at the local watering hole. Never even filled my prescription for meds, heh.

I think all those younger years of ALWAYS being broken and in casts and stitches prepared me for a lifetime of pain. :bgwg:

You'll be good to go in no time. If anything, if you ever have allergies, you'll probably notice a decrease in having issues with them. Losing the wisdoms takes some sort of pressure of of your sinus or some such. Helped me a ton with this MD/DC humidity/pollen.

Navigator
04/08/2008, 08:29 AM
I had 3 fully impacted and 1 partial impacted removed in one day. Poor surgeon literally had to put his knee in my chest to get enough leverage to crack some of the bones to get to the teeth. I was awake durning the whole process with lonly local anestetics. My wife and kid were waiting and could hear what they say sounded like major demolishion work. Much to my surprise the noise was the worst part of it, not much pain or bleeding during the process, got my gums stitched, cotton wads, and some Tylenol 3 tablets w/codine for the pain. When the novacain wore off, I had practically no discomfort, most likely due to the fact my head felt better WITHOUT full impacted wisdom teeth in it. Felt like the silence after someone turned off loud music. Relief :)

nfpgasmask
04/08/2008, 09:49 AM
Did they give you those nifty little plastic syringes that you have to stick in your gum holes and flush out with mouth wash?

I still have my wisdom teeth...but my brother had his pulled and was in all sorts of pain for like 3 days.

Feel better.

Bart

nocturnalVX
04/08/2008, 09:58 AM
:_drool: MMMMMMMMMMMMM... novacain! Just kidding... know it's hurting. Get well quick, and see you Saturday!!!

Anita
04/08/2008, 10:16 AM
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH...

this is all a horrible reminder that I have to go in to have mine extracted!

Hate you guys....love you guys ;)

VX crazy
04/08/2008, 10:56 AM
Hello, Vicodin is not a bad thing.......

VXIRONwoMAN
04/08/2008, 11:05 AM
Well, I will have to say the worst part has past. I think my mouth was in more pain before I had them taken out because my whole lower jaw was shifting around. Now the discomfort is located where the wisdom teeth were. I made the mistake last night of spitting (which apparently you aren't supposed to do) And that was very painful!!! But during the procedure, since I chose local anesthesia, I was feeling pain instead of pressure because I have a high tolerance for anesthesia. It was only 20 minutes before it started to wear off. So they loaded me up pretty good the third time around. It was more of a relief when they pulled them out, because the pressure on the other teeth was gone. I was numb until about midnight. I woke up feeling sore, but not in pain. It hurts to swallow though, water, my own saliva...and I am sooo hungry! I have only been taking the Ibuprofen and Amoxicillin, 3 pills of each every day (one in the morning, one at noon, and one at night). I took half of a Vicoden last night, but that didn't do anything the Ibuprofen hadn't already done, so I don't need or want to take it. I hate meds.

I hear horror stories of having your wisdom teeth taken out. I know everyone is different, but it wasn't that bad. The pain was tolerable, except the part where I made the mistake of spitting!!! YOW!!!!

Thanks for being awesome! You all are the best!

JoFotoz
04/08/2008, 12:18 PM
You might feel a bit like this right now ( I know I did!)....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Gollum-Mouth--34999.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10777)

....but its ALL worth it in the end !

RUM , its everything Vicoden wants to be !:bgwo:

jo

VXIRONwoMAN
04/08/2008, 12:29 PM
You might feel a bit like this right now ( I know I did!)....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Gollum-Mouth--34999.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10777)

....but its ALL worth it in the end !

RUM , its everything Vicoden wants to be !:bgwo:

jo

LOL! I wish! I am such a Malibu girl! But the doc said NO ALCOHOL!!! LAME! So I am stuck with fluids, jello, yogurt and ice cream.

Chopper
04/08/2008, 03:37 PM
Sometimes, judiciously applied, large doses of narcotics are our friend. The only problem with the Vicodin is ....A/ it wasn't Dilaudid B/ you're not taking them in threes....(not halves). There is NO reason (other than tattoos and love affairs) to hurt. Do it smart....it's no problem. (from some one who cares, and has at one time or another, broken every bone, knee, tooth and connective tissue in their body:)) Get well...I feel for ya.

Mark B
04/08/2008, 04:29 PM
I feel for you. I just had a crown put in. Cost around $ 1,000.
Don't know which hurt more, my mouth or wallet.

Hotsauce
04/08/2008, 05:12 PM
Had 2 titanium/porcelain crown put in a few months ago, $4,500, and thats without root canal.

I could find a cheaper dentist, but this one is across the street from work, and hasn't hurt me yet.

John C.

Ldub
04/08/2008, 06:15 PM
I took half of a Vicoden last night, but that didn't do anything the Ibuprofen hadn't already done, so I don't need or want to take it. I hate meds.
Thanks for being awesome! You all are the best!

I know this guy who looks just like your fake big bro, who will be in Moab in May.

He has a mobile unwanted/unused meds disposal facility & I know he wouldn't charge any disposal fees with my recommendation.:naughty:...:smilewink

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

mdwyer
04/08/2008, 07:11 PM
I took half of a Vicoden last night, but that didn't do anything the Ibuprofen hadn't already done, so I don't need or want to take it. I hate meds.

I sort of know what you mean. I have to say that my wisdom teeth removal was one of the best times of my life. After an hour or so under some really good drugs, I think I can sort of understand the heroin junkie mentality... If I could be there forever, you'd have a tough time dragging me away. :(

Turns out my surgeon thought much the same -- him and his wife were arrested a couple months after my surgery. They'd been dosing up at night and neglecting the kids. :eek:

Anyway, don't underestimate the power of good old Tylenol. People tend to forget that it is a VERY powerful painkiller. It has no anti-inflamatory properties, though, so it is useless for some types of pain.

There's already tylenol in the Vicoden -- so don't take both! Liver failure from a tylenol OD's a bad way to go.

Hang in there! I'd come make you a smoothie, if I could... :)

VXIRONwoMAN
04/08/2008, 08:23 PM
Hang in there! I'd come make you a smoothie, if I could... :)

Smoothies are my favorite!!! Mmmmmm! I could really use a steak and mashed taters right about now... but I can't have anything hot either! :waab:

I stuck with my stupid protein shakes for now. They are tasty when you mix them with ice cream though...

VXIRONwoMAN
04/08/2008, 08:25 PM
I know this guy who looks just like your fake big bro, who will be in Moab in May.

He has a mobile unwanted/unused meds disposal facility & I know he wouldn't charge any disposal fees with my recommendation.:naughty:...:smilewink

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

How much will he give me??? LOL :p

Dumke
04/08/2008, 09:23 PM
Ya sorry I am a little late on thisissue. But ya your not suppose to spit at all. I had local anestetics and had all 4 pulled and 2 had to be broken which was fun. Didnt hurt but man my head is apparently attached to my jaw. He yanked and pulled and head came with lol but finally teeth came out and I was done. Well I was thirsty had myself a route 44 sonic drink YUM! Apparently I couldnt hit my mouth but wasnt feeling straw so I jabbed and jabbed. All of a sudden I feel this wet spot on my shirt :( . I guess I missed my mouth lol a few times. Anyways back to my point. I did like you did with the whole spit methond because I wasnt going to swallow the blood. Well I got awhole bunch dry sockets and they hurt like a son of a gun. So what ever you do refrain from spitting.

Worm I dont see how you didnt get them with the drinking because they gave me a list of "do nots" and that was one of em.

Vicatin?? WtF.. i get the crap. I only got hydrocodone <sp>

WormGod
04/09/2008, 07:56 AM
Nope, no dry socket. Thought I had one a few days later but it turned out that it was just a bone splinter from a broken piece of one of the teeth weening through the gums. The dentist just told me no big deal as it would work its way out.

Ya, I was drinking, smoking, running around like your typical college punk. Basically doing all the Do Nots. Guess I was just lucky.

There is always a pay off though. Dentistry is any 1st world country's best friend. Feel good, look good, and eat good, as long as the choppers are taken care of.

After my accident in my old dragon Green years ago, I had to have the 6 front upper teeth in my mouth fixed. I jarred my mouth shut on impact I guess and my bottom teeth won the fight, leaving the upper teeth 0-1. My insurance wouldnt cover it citing it was "cosmetic" dentistry, so it took me a few years to save up the $9k it was gonna take to fix them. I walked around for a few years with some picket fence upper teeth. But, in the end, I had them filed down and they were fitted with some perfect veneers. I was afraid I was gonna look like Matt Dillon in Something About Mary....

http://www.foxhome.com/aboutmary/assets/castcrew/img_dillon.jpg

....but they are about as natural and better than the originals as you could get. STRONG buggers too. Makes me want to get ALL my teeth done now, heh.

VXIRONwoMAN
04/09/2008, 01:57 PM
Well... hopefully the top ones stay where they are, leaving the rest of my upper jaw alone. It would suck to have to get this done twice!

mdwyer
04/09/2008, 07:12 PM
Vicatin?? WtF.. i get the crap. I only got hydrocodone <sp>

It depends on how you look at it... Vicodin = Hydrocodone + Tylenol

In other words, you can take higher doses of hydrocodone before your liver goes walkabout. Vicodin is a preferred drug because it is more difficult to abuse, and so isn't quite as controlled. Anyone ODing on Vicodin is likely to end up dead.

Yes, friends! You, too, can become a cancer care-giver and learn more than you ever thought to know about narcotics!

I'm stuck with my stupid protein shakes for now. They are tasty when you mix them with ice cream though...

Ugh. Those are the worst. They taste like chocolate-flavored agricultural runoff. Pain is one thing. But gross food is the number one reason to get better soon. :)

vxDAKINECHICvx
04/15/2008, 12:03 PM
Hey wow, that is what I do for a living! Oral surgery rocks! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear you are having so much pain though, thats no good at all. If you have any other issues dear please pm me. (and same with the rest of ya's) I'll try to help you out best I can with ideas. Sorry so late on the reply though, I've been away. Feel better soon!!

By the way, impacted 3rds with local.....way to go girl! Most don't even begin to try it that way. :cool:

VXIRONwoMAN
04/15/2008, 12:23 PM
Hey wow, that is what I do for a living! Oral surgery rocks! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear you are having so much pain though, thats no good at all. If you have any other issues dear please pm me. (and same with the rest of ya's) I'll try to help you out best I can with ideas. Sorry so late on the reply though, I've been away. Feel better soon!!

By the way, impacted 3rds with local.....way to go girl! Most don't even begin to try it that way. :cool:

I am fairly tolerant to pain... but I reserve the right to whine. LOL Especially when I still can't chew! I really want flamin' hot cheetos, pretzels, steak... LOL

MSHardeman
04/15/2008, 05:04 PM
Cece,

I'm right there with you. I had all four wisdom teeth removed (two where impacted and where taken out by the dentist putting his knee in my chest for leverage), and had periodontal surgery all in one sitting about eight years ago. I hadn't been to a dentist in a VERY long time, and my teeth started to hurt so I made an appointment and found out that I had bone loss in my upper and lower jaw around my teeth. During the surgery they make an incision in your gums on the back side of your teeth and basically pull the gums down until they hit bone then stitch them up (I'm sure dakinechic will know what I'm talking about). That leaves a LOT of exposed tooth root so now even tap water it just too darn cold for me. The moral of the story is; no matter how freaked out you are by the dentist...GO and go often (now I go four times a year). Also...floss like there's no tomorrow.

One funny story did come out of all this. About a month after the surgery I headed down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and my teeth where still uber sensitive, but I wasnt' going to miss out on the party so I ended up microwaving my beer to heat it up to the point where it was tolerable for me. The looks that all of my friends gave me as I was zapping my beer was almost worth all of the pain.

With all of that said, your wisdom teeth should heal up pretty quickly and you'll be back to eating flaming hot Cheeto's in no time.