PDA

View Full Version : Locker, Gears, or both?

crager34
04/07/2008, 11:22 AM
Been looking here at all the info and found a bunch. Looks like the Aussie Locker is a pretty solid way to go, but also thinking about changing gears. Even though I am here in Moab, I will be using my VX mostly for on-road travel. I would love to hear thoughts on this and are there any sway bar disconnects available, or do we need to just un-bolt as needed?

Thanks

Ldub
04/07/2008, 11:28 AM
Been looking here at all the info and found a bunch. Looks like the Aussie Locker is a pretty solid way to go, but also thinking about changing gears. Even though I am here in Moab, I will be using my VX mostly for on-road travel. I would love to hear thoughts on this and are there any sway bar disconnects available, or do we need to just un-bolt as needed?

Thanks

I've heard a few say that they didn't feel that they gained much from the sway bar disco. It would be easy enough to test, you only need to disco one end...go over the same obstacle both ways & see what you think.

One thing you do need to be aware of...If you opt for the Aussie Locker, you will need to get a carrier from an open diff. or a complete open third member.:_wrench:

Ascinder
04/07/2008, 01:44 PM
Good luck finding gears. The 4.56s aren't that much higher than stock, and 4.77s(32/33" tires) are almost mythical to get ahold of. Also, I have a brand new Aussie in the box for the front if you are interested. I'll give you a great price, I'm not going to ever get around to installing it:rolleyes:.

LittleBeast
04/07/2008, 02:16 PM
So how many people have found the 4.77s and installed them? How did they find them? What is a good price for this part and how hard is it (how much does it costs) to install them?

crager34
04/07/2008, 02:58 PM
Ascinder - Thanks for the offer, but if I do this, it will be just for the rear. I understand it's alot more work to do the front and it plays with the TOD and turning.

Ascinder
04/07/2008, 03:06 PM
Allegedly there were only around 1000 troopers(88-91') equipped with an offroad package(SL2 or SJ2) that included a wide tire option, rims with a hex/honeycomb/snowflake design, and 4.77 gearing. Zeus has them as do one or two others VXers here, but to my knowledge he's the only one with them installed (maybe SPAZZ too?). They make a 4.77(sometimes refferred to as 4.78) front for some Amigos that we can use, but no rear is available. Truly a tricky situation.

LittleBeast
04/07/2008, 03:20 PM
After searching these are the members that it looks like have had or have the 4.77s:
Zeus
Kpaske
Alaska
Swordy
Spazz

I am sure there is at least one more set out there at a junk yard somewhere, hmm.....

Ascinder
04/07/2008, 03:36 PM
SPAZZ= broken front CVs, Swordy=???, Zeus=initial 4.77 trouble, but I think he fixed it, Kpaske=uninstalled(but not for sale last I heard), Alaska=???.

They are out there, just difficult to find. Your engine will rev higher and you put more stress on the cvs, but you accelerate like stock, but with bigger tires:cool:. Last I heard a set goes for around $1,000 when available.

LittleBeast
04/07/2008, 03:40 PM
This is where they came from in case anyone was wondering:
"Some '88-'91 Troopers where equipped with the factory "wide tire package"
that included 4.77:1 axle gears. This would bring the crawl ratio to 41.0:1
with a manual transmission. This is designated by the code S2J on the option
ID plate in the engine compartment."

S2J = FINAL RATIO 43/9* codes appear on the OPTION PLATE under the hood of the vehicle if they were installed on the vehicle at the factory

TROOPER STOCK RATIO: 4.56:1 EXCEPT W/ WIDE TIRE OPTION 4.77:1
1988-91 4WD GM 2.8L V-6, 2.6L 4 CYL
FRONT: ISUZU IFS 10 BOLT
REAR: ISUZU 12 BOLT (3RD MEMBER, DISK BRAKE)

Looks like some also think the code is different:
4.77 - rare. found in '89 Trooper RS and select models with "SL2" option code. (wide tire package + snowflake wheels) Just because the vehicle has snowflake wheels doesn't meen 4.77 gears. Look on the wheel and you will see a size cast into it. 15x6jj is 4.55 gears, 15x7jj 4.77 gears. These wider wheels were used on the 31x10.50-15 "wide wheel" package. I have seen these wheels cast to look identical to each other except for the width. Also keep in mind people have been known to swap to these wheels for the bigger tires.

I wonder which code is the right one "SL2" or "S2J"?

ZEUS
04/09/2008, 09:12 AM
So how many people have found the 4.77s and installed them? How did they find them? What is a good price for this part and how hard is it (how much does it costs) to install them?Yep, I gotz em and lovz em! SPAZZ and I installed them in a weekend... a very long, tiring weekend. The rear is not too bad to work on but the front is a lot of work. We destroyed a front ABS speed sensor in the process by pulling the wires out of the sensor. You have to change the yoke on the front 3rd member so that means you need to replace the oil seal and crush collar which means you need to adjust the preload afterward - guessing does not work. We guessed the first time and the oil seal leaked... so I had to rebuild the front end. I replaced the oil seal correctly before I pulled everything apart again but had to have a pro mechanic set everything up on the 3rd for me. Even he couldn't get the oil seal to seal right after that. So I will have to redo that... again... and then have the preload adjusted... again. Aside from installation issues, losing the LSD in the rear is the only drawback I see. I think it is the best mod you can make to a bigfoot VX with IFS!

Ascinder
04/09/2008, 01:37 PM
I think it is the best mod you can make to a bigfoot VX!

That sir, is SAS blasphemy!!!:mad::_mecker::bwgr:

ZEUS
04/09/2008, 04:21 PM
Oh crap you couldn't be more correct - I must edit...

Ldub
04/09/2008, 07:03 PM
That sir, is SAS blasphemy!!!:mad::_mecker::bwgr:

Oh crap you couldn't be more correct - I must edit...

That Sir,is Supercharger blasphemy...:upsetgray

ZEUS
04/10/2008, 09:06 AM
Nah... I would much rather have the gears - that supercharger isn't going to do much good on the trail - decents without brakes is a great thing! :bwgy:

Todd Adams
04/10/2008, 10:44 AM

Thanks

I have only done 3 major mods to my VX and they do me very nicely.
1. Front ARB
2. 4” lift (running 10.5x33x15 BFG MT KM's)
3. Winch (behind the front bumper cover)

If feel it unnecessary for anything else.
Todd