PDA

View Full Version : ~POOPED~! Almost LIFTED

Dumke
04/06/2008, 09:44 PM
Well started saturday around 11 am ish due to having to go get tires and see if they fit. Which they do just stick out a little over 2 inches which I will be using Dub method if I can in time. Larry any secret to get them on or they just snap on or osmething?

I fast forward to today 11:45 pm because I dont want to bbore you with the rest of the running from here to there to here to there I had to do.

Well I have springs and front and rear shocks on. I have HD tie rods, new ball joints fliped. Have front sway bar discontects and have all but rear passenger one done due to me hitting a hang up. HD lower links done (or whatever they are called. what was called when I bought them)

All that is left is torsion bars cranked new tires put on and hopefully drive in one piece to alignment shop and get sucker alinged. Then trimming and the BFG will have to come out to see where it rubs.

Man did I dive into something head first when I knew not a dam thing what i wasdoing. Luckly my roomy has a mechanic for a bf and he helped me some today early then helped me through night to finish. OMG this job sucks solo btw so even if you two nubs dont know what the heck your doing 4 hands are better than 2 hands and 2 feet which that took a whole saturday up.

Anyways I aint proof reading because I am tired and have to wake up early for a ride to work in morning. Peace out and pictures will be up when I am done and get a small wash not wax but wash... OK maybe you will get it dirty maybe not but I will just make you wait and see.

Ldub
04/07/2008, 06:14 AM
[QUOTE=Dumke;123166]Well started saturday around 11 am ish due to having to go get tires and see if they fit. Which they do just stick out a little over 2 inches which I will be using Dub method if I can in time. Larry any secret to get them on or they just snap on or osmething?
Well I have springs and front and rear shocks on. I have HD tie rods, new ball joints fliped. Have front sway bar discontects and have all but rear passenger one done due to me hitting a hang up. HD lower links done (or whatever they are called. what was called when I bought them)
All that is left is torsion bars cranked new tires put on and hopefully drive in one piece to alignment shop and get sucker alinged. Then trimming and the BFG will have to come out to see where it rubs.
Man did I dive into something head first when I knew not a dam thing what i wasdoing. [QUOTE]

DOOD...way to go!!!:_wrench: Talk about inve$ting in your off-road future...well done!:thumbup:

The fender flares that I bought from JCWhitney come in a roll. IIRC, I measured the wheel well radius (x4) to be sure I had enough, then cut the roll in four equal pieces.
Hold the flare (I got the ones with a re-enforcement wire in the lip...nuthin' worse than saggy flares) at the center & fasten it to the top center of the wheel well with the screws provided by screwing it into the inner lip of the cladding. Also remember to divvy up your screws into four equal amounts.
Once it's fastened at top center, hold it against the cladding & work your way from top center to the end, (bottom) with a screw every 3-4 inches.
A cordless driver/drill, tin snips, utility knife, (careful, I don't want to see any Biju finger slice pics) & an extra set of hands are helpful. Also, mini grinder or small bolt cutter is handy for trimming the wire, because it's just large enough to make trimming with a regular wire cutter a pain in the hand.
After they are installed along the entire wheel well, trim the ends with a tin snips or utility knife to make em' look purdy. Then put a little bend in the end of the wire & trim it close to the end of the flare. The bend in the ends of the wire keeps it from migrating & falling out.

Also, be listening for rear tire contact under suspension compression...you may (read will) need to extend the rear bump stops.

Good luck...can't wait to see what you've done.

tomdietrying
04/07/2008, 06:35 AM
Rob, sounds like you are almost on top of the mountain. Don't give up yet, because the rewards will be sweet. I'm sure it's going to look awsome when you are finished.
Peace.
Tom

Ldub
04/27/2008, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=Dumke;123166]Well started saturday around 11 am ish due to having to go get tires and see if they fit. Which they do just stick out a little over 2 inches which I will be using Dub method if I can in time. Larry any secret to get them on or they just snap on or osmething?
Man did I dive into something head first when I knew not a dam thing what i wasdoing. [QUOTE]

DOOD...way to go!!!:_wrench: Talk about inve$ting in your off-road future...well done!:thumbup:

The fender flares that I bought from JCWhitney come in a roll. IIRC, I measured the wheel well radius (x4) to be sure I had enough, then cut the roll in four equal pieces.
Hold the flare (I got the ones with a re-enforcement wire in the lip...nuthin' worse than saggy flares) at the center & fasten it to the top center of the wheel well with the screws provided by screwing it into the inner lip of the cladding. Also remember to divvy up your screws into four equal amounts.
Once it's fastened at top center, hold it against the cladding & work your way from top center to the end, (bottom) with a screw every 3-4 inches.
A cordless driver/drill, tin snips, utility knife, (careful, I don't want to see any Biju finger slice pics) & an extra set of hands are helpful. Also, mini grinder or small bolt cutter is handy for trimming the wire, because it's just large enough to make trimming with a regular wire cutter a pain in the hand.
After they are installed along the entire wheel well, trim the ends with a tin snips or utility knife to make em' look purdy. Then put a little bend in the end of the wire & trim it close to the end of the flare. The bend in the ends of the wire keeps it from migrating & falling out.

Also, be listening for rear tire contact under suspension compression...you may (read: will) need to extend the rear bump stops.

Good luck...can't wait to see what you've done.

BUMPITY-BUMP-BUMP for the GILLSTER...:smilewink

Triathlete
04/27/2008, 06:53 PM
Where be them pics?:rolleyes:

Dumke
04/28/2008, 06:54 AM
Where be them pics?:rolleyes:

As requested.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13272

No howto's or or anything but basically a finished product

Triathlete
04/28/2008, 09:07 AM