PDA

View Full Version : Saw my first Smart car...

Chopper
04/06/2008, 09:32 AM
Well it's official. The Smart car has made its way to central Fla.. While it looks ok in a European (or Asian) urban setting, all I could think was, "You are out of your f*^#%@* mind." Neighborhoods here are all interconnected by 50mph (means everyone does 60 plus) flat straight four lanes. No stops or lights. The main roads are posted 65...78 will get you a ticket. Not the environment for a Smart...or a Prius. TDI's, the new Subaru oilers...Xa's,Yari on and on all get the same or much better mileage....are far more comfortable...and undoubtedly safer. Up close it even looks kind of crappy...like a bad Fiat. Like the folks in their Prius, that blast past me at lights....I shake my head in amazement, and wonder...."Why in the world did you buy THAT?" To me, the Smart looks pretty damn stupid.:_confused

Ldub
04/06/2008, 09:45 AM
Not your most glowing recommendation :smilewink...can't imagine one of those "tin can roller skates" would fare well (more like farewell) in an altercation with anything larger than a bird.
Tangle with an 18-wheeler, notify next of kin.

Chopper
04/06/2008, 10:07 AM
Not your most glowing recommendation :smilewink...can't imagine one of those "tin can roller skates" would fare well (more like farewell) in an altercation with anything larger than a bird.
Tangle with an 18-wheeler, notify next of kin.Tangle with an Echo...notify next of kin

CrnCnn
04/06/2008, 10:15 AM
I was downtown last night was stopped at a red light next to a Zap car. I dont know who got more heads turning...

MSHardeman
04/06/2008, 10:20 AM
There are a couple of "Smart" Cars here in the Aspen Valley, but then again we're all granola crunching, save-the-planet, tree huggers out here.:rolleyes: I think we might have more Prii per capita than anywhere else in the world and that little roller skate (read Smart Car) looks out of place. It's a pretty cool idea, but just like Chopper in Florida, everything is spread out around here and connected by highways where the legal speed limit is 70 mph. I can't imagine one of those things being very good at going up and down hair pin turn mountain passes in the winter with 40 ton (OK, that might be a little exageration) snow plows coming the other way.

Scott Harness
04/06/2008, 10:23 AM
I wanted a smart car until I saw one in person.TINY death trap. They are just too small for american roads. Maybe if you just stayed on the side streets.I think the reason they look cheap is because the body panels basically snap on. You can make them look alot of different ways with different doors and t-tops,fender panels ect.

cyronman
04/06/2008, 10:39 AM
I passed one last week on the freeway on my Ducati and felt safer! Colder, but safer.
It was like passing a meter-maid going 75.

kodiak
04/06/2008, 12:12 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="<A href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ju6t-yyoU8s&hl=en"></param><param">http://www.youtube.com/v/ju6t-yyoU8s&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ju6t-yyoU8s&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Take a look at this. Not to bad.;eekr;

Scott Harness
04/06/2008, 12:51 PM
WOW!, did way better than I thought it would. I wonder about side-impact?

Chopper
04/06/2008, 01:18 PM
It's crashworthy....just not with me in it.

rowhard
04/06/2008, 02:53 PM
Mercedes did a fine job designing the Smart car, and I would have one in a New York second if dealers in this country weren't asking for so much blue sky with them. I drove one in England in 2000 and it was a blast, but it is a city car, pure and simple.

dietz99vcross
04/06/2008, 04:05 PM
Well I guess I am on the other side of the fence. I just got my e-mail saying mine will be here in less than two weeks. I figure the mileage improvement the smart car gets over the VX would save me about the same as the monthly payment on the Smart, and I could "save" my VX which already has 120,000 miles. Safety is actually very good for the vehicle. In a sick an twisted way the size helps for side impact as the wheelbase is so small the impacting vehicle will hit at least one of the wheels if not both rather than crush the passenger compartment alone. Now if you where to get t-boned by a Tahoe going 65 it doesn't really matter what size car you where in. As for comfort, I drove one in Detroit a while back and the seating arrangement is very comfortable, I am 6' 4" and it has more room for the driver and passenger than my VX, I took the rear seat out of the VX so it is also a 2 seater. Headroom was way better, besides I ordered the cabriolet. Having said all of that I was really disappointed in the mileage to performance ratio. If it got 50 mpg I could accept the ridiculously slow acceleration. At 40 mpg it needs more. I like that it is different as I like that my VX is different. But alas I have decided to say no to the smart, drive my VX for another 100,000 miles and just hope gas doesn't reach $5 a gallon. The only issue is I was really looking for a convertible to enjoy the sun, maybe I can get a sunroof installed with the money that would have covered the sales tax.

etlsport
04/06/2008, 05:02 PM
i think they are kinda cool.. i could never drive one though.. at the philly auto show i saw a kid try to pop the hood... and tear the thing right off its (fabric) mounts without exerting too much force... living so close to the city i see 2-3 a week

Joe_Black
04/06/2008, 07:07 PM
There's a handful here in my neck of the woods between Tampa and Orlando, the area Kermit Weeks has dubbed "Orlampa". Definitely a metro car and a few encounters around here with the rush of fruit and rock trucks will add their asphalt-imprint to those of the seasonal blue-hairs.

If the overseas diesels get here as planned starting end of '08 it'll be a whole new ball game, especially with the diesel hybrids like the 70MPG hybrid VW Jetta. I may pay about $.50 a gallon more for fuel than everyone else in the TDI Jetta, but who wouldn't to get 50+ MPG in a nicely appointed mid-size? :bwgy:

Ldub
04/06/2008, 08:36 PM
here in my neck of the woods between Tampa and Orlando, the area Kermit Weeks has dubbed "Orlampa"

Call me crazy, but I prefer :"Tamplando"...go ahead, say it a few times...it grows on ya...:smilewink

Gussie2000
04/06/2008, 08:43 PM
Here in NYC i've seen few of those,probably they'll come very popular if gas prices keeps rockeeting sky up.

At my work site one of those corporate business guys bought one for his daugther & he end up keeping it.

When i first saw him drinving in to the parking lot my first thoughts were damn it shrank ? ( he owns an H2 black & yellow ) & because every body knows him he decide to order custom plates "yes it shrunk" because the smart is also black & yellow :p

kodiak
04/06/2008, 09:44 PM
It looks like the smart has some good off road potential.:)

http://www.ozoux.com/eclectic/archive/2007/04/02/images/2007/smartforfun3.jpg

mdwyer
04/06/2008, 09:53 PM
There are a couple of "Smart" Cars here in the Aspen Valley, but then again we're all granola crunching, save-the-planet, tree huggers out here.:rolleyes:

It's worse in my corner of the state. I work in the vicinity of Boulder. In this part of Colorado, you get a free Subaru with your state tax return. It seems that way, at least. Part of the reason I had to buy the VX was because I was sick and tired of driving the same car as everyone else!

But the Smart? Yeah, they'd be great city cars. They fit in great in Munich when I was there. They go well with the new urbanism ideas, too. I can see it as being the PERFECT literal grocery-getter.

But otherwise, I'm very unimpressed with the mileage numbers. As much as I really like the SMART and want to support the idea of smaller fricken cars in the USA, I don't think that's the car that's gonna do it for me.

So-CalVX
04/07/2008, 06:32 PM
go to youtube and do a search on "smart hayabusa" then complain about acceleration... Alllright:)

cyronman
04/07/2008, 10:57 PM
go to youtube and do a search on "smart hayabusa" then complain about acceleration... Alllright:)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oPQIizRp9ck
:)

thats COOL

castigan
04/08/2008, 03:25 AM
if you look on youtube... there is a smart car with a hayabusa motor in it.. its ..insane !! :)

WormGod
04/08/2008, 07:30 AM
The little buggers have been all over the place here since Jan. I admit, if I didnt have to take the highway at all, I might consider one. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would drive one on a highway. I see a few here on my daily commute doing it though. Either they are fearless, scared fecal-less, or just plain stupid.

Chopper
04/08/2008, 03:26 PM
The little buggers have been all over the place here since Jan. I admit, if I didnt have to take the highway at all, I might consider one. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would drive one on a highway. I see a few here on my daily commute doing it though. Either they are fearless, scared fecal-less, or just plain stupid. It's an idea I would like to like...but the milage numbers just don't justify it. Too many better alternatives. Send me the new Fiat 500!