PDA

View Full Version : YAY for me and BOO formy luck.

Dumke
04/02/2008, 08:12 PM
Well got my lift in the mail 2 days ago. Tires and rims are waiting for me to pick up as well. So you ask yourself why the wait, why no pictures??? Well I dont have my truck :( . I had to take it in the shop because I freaked when it shifted into third gear really hard. Happened on one occasion for about 30 minutes I stopped got back in 2 hrs later and nothing, and hasnt happaned since saturday... But while the mechanic is there I said need to fix a leak from the gobliny goo. I had thought the goo was comming from same place from where they replaced the water pump but OOO noo that would have been too cheap and simple becuase would have been under warranty. So apparently its comming from a plug on the side of the engine block which they have to basically take apart the whole truck. Well 1200+ dollars later (I am having them do other things not just that but that almost makes up for half of the price). Well I just spent a ton of money for my other crap and now I cant even put the stuff on. So for now tires sit at shop and lift in the garage.

Sorry I had to type this from other post I seemed like a party pooper guess its just my luck. SO n moab no one follow behind me or in front. I am going "SOLO" lol

Good news is I get my truck friday and get to working on putting mods on.

Also other good news is Tom I may get another free tool out of it lol.

etlsport
04/02/2008, 08:26 PM
what did they say about your transmission? sounds like a transmission mode switch issue

Dumke
04/02/2008, 09:15 PM
what did they say about your transmission? sounds like a transmission mode switch issue

Absolutley nothing. They cant replicate it. Said give it couple weeks and go from there. I will search on this topic and maybe bring it up to them.

OK i just did quick search and found this so let me answer a few things then will search on topic further

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12192&highlight=transmission+mode+switch

OK my lights didnt flicker and I turned it off a couple times to see if that helped on way to my next destination. When it shifted hard my lights didnt flicker at all. As for the tranny fluid and such I am going to give it two weeks (per my mechanic) see if it repeats same trouble so can find out a solution. Also in that time I will be getting fluid changed and filter which had fluid change about a yr ago and less than 30k miles.

So-CalVX
04/02/2008, 09:34 PM
Congrats on the lift and wheels Dumke. Sorry to hear about the klunk. :(

I've never looked into it but, we can service the tranny? Its not a lifetime transmission?
And on that topic... What do I do being that I have no clue if mine has ever been serviced and I just rolled over 73,000 miles. Am I safe to do a full service and swap in synthetic?

Anita
04/02/2008, 10:15 PM
Absolutley nothing. They cant replicate it. Said give it couple weeks and go from there. I will search on this topic and maybe bring it up to them.

OK i just did quick search and found this so let me answer a few things then will search on topic further

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12192&highlight=transmission+mode+switch

OK my lights didnt flicker and I turned it off a couple times to see if that helped on way to my next destination. When it shifted hard my lights didnt flicker at all. As for the tranny fluid and such I am going to give it two weeks (per my mechanic) see if it repeats same trouble so can find out a solution. Also in that time I will be getting fluid changed and filter which had fluid change about a yr ago and less than 30k miles.

Just an FYI - Your lights dont have to flicker for it to be the mode switch. Mine did not flicker when I had the severe shifts. Only once do I remember when I started up the truck in the morning and shifted from park to drive did I notice the display lights were not in sync with my movement.

Dumke
04/03/2008, 06:52 AM
Just an FYI - Your lights dont have to flicker for it to be the mode switch. Mine did not flicker when I had the severe shifts. Only once do I remember when I started up the truck in the morning and shifted from park to drive did I notice the display lights were not in sync with my movement.

Awesome ty Anita. I will replace it just in case then when I get it truck back from shop.

I've never looked into it but, we can service the tranny? Its not a lifetime transmission?
And on that topic... What do I do being that I have no clue if mine has ever been serviced and I just rolled over 73,000 miles. Am I safe to do a full service and swap in synthetic?

Ty I am pretty excited as well. Will be more excited when I put it on. As for tranny yes it is servicable. many people on here do it often. I will let them chime in with specifics tho.

VehiGAZ
04/03/2008, 09:09 AM
The hard-shift thing can be a once-in-a-blue-moon issue. It's happened to me twice, and both times went away after restarting the car. Don't sweat it if they can't replicate the problem.

nfpgasmask
04/03/2008, 09:51 AM
Check your Trans fluid. Mine was doing exactly that until I did a full tranny filter and fluid change. It has not happened since.

Regarding the coolant leak, I think I have the same leak. Its probably that plug Tone mentioned in a post a long while back. Keep us posted on how that works out.

Bart

nfpgasmask
04/03/2008, 09:54 AM

Yes, I have done my tranny twice now. You could take it to a trans shop and save yourself some labor and mess, but spend the money, or you can just do it yourself. Its kind of a pain in the boot, but it isn't that hard as long as you have the space, time and a helper. If you want more specifics, PM me and I will break it all down for you. Otherwise, yeah, at that mileage, I would say your tranny is suffering if you have never done a fluid/filter change.

Bart

Ascinder
04/03/2008, 10:53 AM
Mine had the fluid and filter done rght before I bought it, and the previous owner said it smoothed out the shifting considerably. Maybe your trans was passing a clot so to speak.

tomdietrying
04/03/2008, 12:16 PM
Dude.....sorry to hear about the expensive news, but I'm happy about your lift and new tires. Did you get the biggest you could fit on them? Moab is just around the corner.
Peace.
Tom

Dumke
04/03/2008, 06:09 PM
Dude.....sorry to hear about the expensive news, but I'm happy about your lift and new tires. Did you get the biggest you could fit on them? Moab is just around the corner.
Peace.
Tom

Tbh I have no idea. I dont even know the number for tires. I think was 285 something. I know its sad if they dont fit I will either A) make them fit or B) Have them exchange them. I know the tire size will fit tho I read via search and I know I may have to take hammer and saw to some of it but that is ok. My only worry is it pertruding<sp> out from wheel weel were it sticks out too far but I really think I am safe with numbers I used for rim size and wheel combo. But time will only tell when I get the bad boys on this weekend.

Ldub
04/03/2008, 07:32 PM
Dood...sorry to hear about your funky shifting, but I'd start with a flush & filter change (go syn) before anything else.:_wrench:

As far as the tires sticking out past the cladding, it can easily be remedied with the use of rubber flares from JC Whitney.:thumbup:

Dumke
04/03/2008, 07:38 PM
Dood...sorry to hear about your funky shifting, but I'd start with a flush & filter change (go syn) before anything else.:_wrench:

As far as the tires sticking out past the cladding, it can easily be remedied with the use of rubber flares from JC Whitney.:thumbup:

Ya Dub I really like your set up and yes I will go thought route if needed.

Yup dont know how to do the whole tranny thing myself so bart pm comming your way.

Ldub
04/03/2008, 07:56 PM
Ya Dub I really like your set up and yes I will go thought route if needed.

Yup dont know how to do the whole tranny thing myself so bart pm comming your way.

From the "how to" section of this here site...don't forget to thank Joe Black.:thumbup:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&op=newarticle&id=20

The rest is just removing the cross member & dropping the pan to access the filter.:_wrench:

nfpgasmask
04/04/2008, 10:36 AM
I will reply with my step by step for the tranny fluid and filter change since it is still fresh in my head. Not that Joe's how-to is not good, but his is only a fluid change.

So, here goes.

Stuff you need:

[ ] Jack
[ ] Jack Stands
[ ] Drain pan(s)
[ ] Lots of shop rags and/or paper towels
[ ] 6-7 quarts of new trans fluid
[ ] New tranny filter and gasket (about $35 from AutoZone) ***Note, after you buy the new filter, take out the gasket and flatten it under some heavy books for 2 or 3 days, it will make it 10 times easier to align and put on.
[ ] Wrenches (can't remember what sizes you need)
[ ] Socket set and extender
[ ] Goggles (unless you want all sorts of crap falling in your eyes)
[ ] Funnel with a tube thingy (look at Wal*mart next to the trans fluid section, they have this neat little graduated funnel with a lid and an on/off valve. Get this for like $6, makes refilling a BREEZE!)
[ ] Plastic tubing to attach to the above funnel with a tube thingy (I think we used 1/2 inch, can't remember)
[ ] Some sort of scraper (razor blade, putty knife, etc)
[ ] 1 or 2 helpers (3 people makes the job easy, 2 will work with a little juggling, doing this by yourself will suck ostrich eggs)

1) Open tranny drain plug and drain out as much fluid as you can

2) Apply parking brake and jack up front end of VX and put it on jack stands.

3) Now, slightly jack up the tranny itself, and put on a jack stand, you need to do this because we are about to....

4) Unbolt and drop the cross member under the tranny. There are some wires connected to some clamps on the crossmember you will also need to disconnect. Have fun with that. Set cross member out of the way.

5) Dropping the pan: There are a bunch of little bolts holding it up. Carefully remove each one and set aside in a good place so you don't loose them. You may need a piece of 2x4 and a hammer to get the pan unstuck once all the retaining bolts are removed. Before you start hammering though, make sure all the bolts are out so you don't fubar anything.

6) Now that you have the pan dropped, catch all that dripping fluid and dump the rest into your drain pan.

7) Clean up the pan. Wipe out all the old fluid really good. You will also have a magnet in the bottom. Take it out and inspect it for metal shards and metallic goop. Clean it off really good and set it back in the pan once it is clean. Then, remove the old gasket off your drain pan. If you are luckly like CrnCnn, you will have about an hour worth of scraping to remove the old gasket. Its really fun. Make sure you don't mess up the pan if you have to scrape. Be careful, but get as much of the rotted gasket cleaned off the pan. You might also have some caked on gasket remains under the truck as well. You will want to get that clean also.

8) Now that you are all drained and cleaned up, set the pan under the truck below where you need to bolt it back up. Set the gasket flatly on top (which should be easy because you already flattened it under some books for 3 days like I told you to :) ). This part is optional: Fill the pan as much as you think you can with fresh fluid before you lift it up and rebolt it. I think we put 2 or 3 quarts in this way. This will hasten the refilling time needed, but this part definitely requires a friend (someone to hold the pan up while you start putting the bolts back in). Or you can just skip that and fill it all up after the pan is back up and secure.

9) Now that your pan is back up and the drain plug is secure, put the cross member back up and reattach the wiring under there as well. Remove the jack stand under your tranny and gently lower it back down onto the cross member. Take your VX off the jack stands and let it sit on level ground.

10) Open the fill plug. Take the funnel with the hose thingy and attach a length of clear tubing to it, long enough to go from a standing person who is holding the funnel at about chest height, down and into the fill port on your tranny. Now, have all your quarts at the ready, and fill up the funnel with a quart of fluid. Make sure the other end is shuved into the fill hole, and it is probably a good idea to have someone laying down there and holding it in. Open the valve on the funnel and watch the fluid syphon into the tranny. I think you should be able to get 4 or 5 quarts of fluid in there before its time to check the level, which is the best part....

11) Now, follow the procedure below:
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/img/img4/fluid1.png

12) Once you are full, cap off the fill port and you should be good to go. Check for leaks over the next day or two just to make sure everything is tight, but remember, don't over tighten anything!

It sounds a lot worse than it is. But that said, dedicate an entire, waking up early Saturday to get the job done. Offer 2 of your buds a case of beer each and you should be able to bag the project with no issues. We did both mine and CrnCnn's in one day.

NOTE: If anyone has anything to add, or if I forgot something, feel free to interject.

Bart

PS - I should have documented the procedure with photos last time we did it, but trans fluid covered hands and holding a camera isn't really convenient.

etlsport
04/04/2008, 10:46 AM
I really should do my own next time.. what did you do with the ATF when you were done bart?

nfpgasmask
04/04/2008, 10:49 AM
I really should do my own next time.. what did you do with the ATF when you were done bart?

.....Brought it to Kragen and dumped it with the oil in my drain pan. I'm sure there is probably a better way to dispose of it, but this was the best way I could think of getting rid of it. Does anyone know of the proper method for tranny fluid disposal?

Bart