PDA

View Full Version : Back on the Board

VehiGAZ
04/01/2008, 02:03 PM
Hola Amigos! I know it’s been a long time since I rapped at ya, but I been pretty busy lately… (ok, the Jim Anchower homage ends here).

As much as I like to stay in touch with the VX community, I just couldn’t keep current with this site (and the 928 forums, which are about 3x as busy as this one) and manage to do anything else productive, so I had to quit my daily site-monitoring activities late last summer. Now that things have calmed down a bit, I wanted to post an update of my goings-on since then.

My biggest news is that my VX turned 100 on March 14th! Whoo-hooo!!!!
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/0314080828a_1.jpg

The downside of that is my extended warranty ran out a couple thousand miles ago, so everything that goes wrong with it is exclusively on my nickel. I had a string of problems in the last month, too – a recurring CE light and code P0101 have been wracking the brain of my mechanic (which is what brought me back to the site – to do some research), and something was making the ToD operating and check lights dance rather amusingly for a couple of weeks, until the display went out altogether. Turns out a wire clip underneath the truck broke, and the ToD system wires were hanging on the catalytic converter until they melted and shorted. All better now, though! We still have no idea why it’s throwing the CE at me so often… Bad mass air pressure sensor? Bad MAF? (Even the replacement?) Hidden air/vacuum leak? We’ll figure it out...

If anyone recalls, I put a Flowmaster muffler in the VX last summer in order to extract the rest of the power potential of the supercharger. I initially complained about how loud it was, but it mellowed out significantly after a few weeks of driving. It’s still loud as heck, though. Also, concerned that the oil from the K&N air filter burnt out my MAF (which I replaced, but with no affect on the CE light situation), I put the stock air box back in, but cut a new opening in the front face of it as another air inlet. It improved high-rpm airflow into the engine immensely, but not quite as much as the K&N – it seems ever so slightly starved for air above 6k rpm compared to the K&N setup. But I can live with that, and at least I don’t have to worry about frying my MAF with K&N oil.

Confession: I’ve started looking for a used Mini Cooper S for my daily driver. I don’t want to drive the VX into the ground just yet, and I certainly don’t want to sell it in this gas-hog-averse market, either! But with 100k on the odo, the seemingly unsolvable check-engine issues I’ve been experiencing, and the ~14 mpg fuel economy I’ve been getting on premium (reformulated) gas since the S/C install, I need to put my commuting miles on something a little more livable and a lot more economical. While there are a lot of cars available that intrigue me, the Mini Cooper S is definitely the most fun you can have at 30 mpg. I’m looking for a 2004-2006 model with a sunroof and a stick shift.

Ok, time to do some CE light research…

Ldub
04/01/2008, 03:35 PM
Good to see you back.:thumbup:

LittleBeast
04/01/2008, 03:42 PM
A family I know here in Houston has a Mini Cooper S, white with the black top and sunroof and stick shift. It has a salvage title because it was stolem and wrecked totalled and put all back together to look like new. I drove it for about 2k miles around Houston, with no problems and it drives awesome. Because of the salvage title they were trying to get $12k for it I think. If I am remembering it had 30k miles on it. Thought I would throw it out there. I can't remember the year or exact miles or anything, and don't know if they still have it, but I will check next time I see them. I also saw a 2007 with low miles advertised here in Houston for $18k. i will try and find that article for you, they probably already sold it though, it was a steal!

MSHardeman
04/01/2008, 05:24 PM
VehiGAZ,

I was thinking about doing the exact same thing (buying a Mini Cooper S as a daily driver), and now I have a dilema on my hands. If I'm going to spend $13K-$15K on a Mini, why not try to find a low milage Proton or Foxfire and store that sucker away? A Mini would be a TON of fun, though, and get better gas milage, but having a second VX would be SWEET, but a Mini would be a blast, but a second VX.....you see where I'm going?

Mark

VehiGAZ
04/01/2008, 05:59 PM
Don't think I didn't think the same thing! I was considering selling my VX and finding another one (a Foxfire preferably) before winter, but the current prices are too low to bother.

LittleBeast
04/01/2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah I debated the same thing when I was driving the Mini Cooper S around town (buying the Mini Copper S) but I looked at my options and once I drove the RX-8 my decision was made for me. Smooth ride, 50%-50% weight distribution, awesome looks, 10K rpm, and 20+ mpg on the highway, nuff said, I was sold, but the VX is the daily driver, and the RX-8 is now the garage king.

VehiGAZ,

I was thinking about doing the exact same thing (buying a Mini Cooper S as a daily driver), and now I have a dilema on my hands. If I'm going to spend $13K-$15K on a Mini, why not try to find a low milage Proton or Foxfire and store that sucker away? A Mini would be a TON of fun, though, and get better gas milage, but having a second VX would be SWEET, but a Mini would be a blast, but a second VX.....you see where I'm going?

Mark