PDA

View Full Version : Haven't read these reviews before

VXD959
06/18/2003, 11:38 AM
...or did not look hard enough

http://www.conduttura.com/pdc/weblife/int/autos/vehicross

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1999/isuzu/vehicross/6811/roadtestarticle.html?articleId=44300

http://www.adventure4wd.com.au/good_oil/reviews.html

Isuzu Vehicross
Every now and again you get a chance to drive a vehicle that really is a bit different and unconventional, something that can be said of Isuzu's Vehicross 4WD. Originally built exclusively for the Japanese domestic market, it has proved so popular that it now is spreading across Isuzu's world markets, making a big impact in the USA.

It probably won't grace Australian shores in its current form, which is two-door only, but a prototype 4-door version has been doing the motorshow circuit overseas, which might be something to tempt Holden for local release.

The Vehicross' funky styling is a magnet for attention from other road users, but before oglers get too close, a prod on the go pedal produces some serious acceleration. A 3.2 litre quad-cam V6 petrol is under the bonnet, teamed to a 4 speed automatic gearbox, putting the power down to the ground via a Borg Warner "Torque-On-Demand" (TOD) 4WD system.

TOD is a multi-mode drive, offering the economy of 2WD on stable surfaces, switching automatically to 4WD on less than perfect roads automatically. With a 2-speed transfer case it also offers a traditional set of LOW range crawler gears, for genuine 4WD mobility. The system will divide drive to either front or back axles according to wheelslip and unlike similar set-ups in other makes, the reaction is immediate, no perceptible delay. A gauge on the dashboard indicates where the drive is going, front or back.

Whilst on things inside, the dashboard also houses a television screen. As part of the audio system (CD, cassette, AM/FM stereo), a rotating mini-screen pops into life when reverse gear is selected. Because the spare wheel is encased inside the tailgate door, which encroaches into rear visibility, some added assistance is on offer courtesy of a tiny video camera. The set also offers input jacks to hook a camcorder or VCR into the telly to watch your favourite shows on the road.

The Recaro seats are very comfortable and supportive and continue the theme of modern design, covered in a dynamic fabric that is hip and colourful. The Momo steering wheel is airbag loaded and good and comfortably grippy. Access to the back seat wasn't too bad for a two-door, the front seats able to be moved forward easily. The rear seats too can be folded for increased luggage space if required.

Back outside the vehicle runs Jackaroo suspension, except for one fundamental difference. This is the world's first production vehicle to run remote-canister shock absorbers. These are usually the domain of off-road racers, designed to hold an extra reservoir of oil to prevent overheating of the fluid, offering a controlled ride at all times. The IFS front end and coil-spring back end were well matched, in fact this would have to be one of the best two-door SWB 4WD rides I've experienced.

Clearance is good, with very clean approach and departure angles, accentuated by the futuristic styling. Driving it on sand was a revelation, clearly the best sand blaster I've had the pleasure to punt around, courtesy of its diminutive size and powerful V6. But having said that, I'd be encouraging Mr. Isuzu to make a four-door version with the brilliant 3.0 litre electronic diesel, then you'd clearly have the hi-tech world of automotive design all stitched-up. Oh and before I forget, mine would have to be red!

Things We Liked -

Funky, aggressive styling and two-tone silver over grey paintwork
Excellent performance on highway and off-road
Comfortable interior and great ride
Forward visibility

Things We Didn't Like -

Rear and rear quarter visibility
Limited cargo space (being a SWB)
Vehicross decals
"S" rated passenger tyres

mrtew
06/18/2003, 07:35 PM
Cool! Thanks for posting these. Someone should collect all the online stuff about the VX and put it on one page so it will be around forever! (or is that a copywrite violation?) At least the links to articles about the VX could be posted.... why doensn't everyone post the ones they know about to this thread and maybe I will put them on my site if I won't end up going to jail for it.... more links?

paultvx
06/19/2003, 11:44 AM
No violation as long as you give credit to the original author. Technically, you're suppose get obtain permission as well... but writers have egos and probably don't mind free publicity.

TimG
06/19/2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by mrtew
Cool! Thanks for posting these. Someone should collect all the online stuff about the VX and put it on one page so it will be around forever! (or is that a copywrite violation?) At least the links to articles about the VX could be posted.... why doensn't everyone post the ones they know about to this thread and maybe I will put them on my site if I won't end up going to jail for it.... more links?

Posting links to other peoples page is fine. Taking their article and posting it word for word even if you give them credit, is a copyright violation if you do not have their permission.

You can take excerpts from an article for quoting/preview purposes.

Realistically, they will probably not care (unless it's something like a New York Times article), but they could make you take it down, etc.

WyrreJ
06/19/2003, 05:59 PM
Yes, if they have not registered it with the copyright office then the worst they can do is make you stop. If they did register it they can sue for punitive damages.

If they aren't American, or you or the server aren't in the same country as them, then the law is a lot murkier and you can probably get away with all kinds of stuff, until they buy a ticket and come beat you up in person...

Pens
06/19/2003, 08:25 PM
Basically if you don't charge people to view the article (you don't profit from your site), and it doesn't portray their article in a negative light. You have nothing to worry about.

Moncha
06/27/2003, 01:42 PM
It most likely violates the rules but, I have a collection on Moncha.com (http://www.moncha.com/vx_links.html#reviews). Just click on the flaming VX Reviews link.

mrtew
06/27/2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Moncha
It most likely violates the rules but, I have a collection on Moncha.com (http://www.moncha.com/vx_links.html#reviews). Just click on the flaming VX Reviews link.

Cool! I'm glad someone is saving this kind of stuff for the future. I've noticed a LOT of stuff on the internet is disappearing and I'd hate the VX reviews to be lost forever!
I've gone thru my old bookmark at times and find that most of them lead to dead pages. Keep this stuff alive!

WyrreJ
06/27/2003, 05:46 PM
You might be interested to learn of the wayback machine: http://www.archive.org/