PDA

View Full Version : A few VX Q's

tysamigo
03/26/2008, 08:17 PM
I have a few Q's I wanted to see if anyone could help answer:

1. In my '01 VX (w/auto temp) when the auto is not turned on, the temp dial is all the way over to the right (the warmest setting) it will get very warm. When you move the notch over to the left one small click the temperature difference from the vents is so much that you would think the lever is somewhere near the middle.

Likewise when the dial is in the center (whether in auto mode or not) anywhere in the center area the temperature difference doesn't seem to change much at all. It's only when you get to near the end either to the cold side or hot side. The further you go to one end or the other the temp difference seems to jump a lot. Is this common?

2. Why does the VX have a High note and Low note for the "horn". Are they both used, what's the purpose?

3. When I turn on the defrost (windshield) the AC automatically kicks on. Is this running the compressor and/or giving me lower fuel economy? Why is it on anyway?

4. Has anyone installed outside rear view mirror blinkers? The easy way would be go get the adhesive arrows but would be nice to have a light (w/led) bar that snaps on or can be attached to the underside of the housing.

etlsport
03/26/2008, 09:47 PM
the high note and low note i think are just because the different notes carry through different mediums and having both gives a "fuller" sound

the AC turns on when you hit defrost because all the AC does is remove moisture from the air, contrary to popular belief it does not actually lower the temp of the air (it may feel like it does because lower moisture content air encourages more evaporation of moisture off your skin which cools your body, hence the reason people sweat) but so having less water (humidity) in the air will make the condensed water causing the window fog to evaporate into the air of the cabin faster

johnnyapollo
03/27/2008, 02:57 AM
The temperature dial on the climate control models (00-01) is calibrated with only slight fan speed variations except at the ends - if you click far left or far right it goes to the extreme or max setting. So if you have it swung far left with auto off and it's colder outside than inside, it opens up the fan to blast full out. The opposite is true for heat - far right and the heater is drawn with full fan. The middle of the dial, instead of being truly graduated from the two extremes, is more like the middle range between mid-cold to mid-hot (my experience).

-- John

tom4bren
03/27/2008, 03:51 AM
I saw on line a while back some turn signal mirrors that used a solar panel & battery to power the flasher on the mirror. It was driven by an RF transmitter mounted remotely & wired into the turn signal lights. I don't remember anything else about it tho. You could prolly find it by doing a websearch on rear view mirrors.

Joe_Black
03/27/2008, 05:52 AM
High-low, or dual tone, horns are fairly common and the idea is to be more audible as a good portion of the population has hearing deficiencies toward either end of the audio spectrum. Even older American cars have this feature, it just sounds different.

When you turn on your defroster the AC engages as it provides drier air which aids in removing the condensate quickly, and also helps equalize the temperature on both sides of the glass which is the cause of "fogging". As for load on the engine, the VX has a rotary AC compressor which places minimal drag on the engine compared to the older piston compressors most commonly known as "York compressors".

John's explanation of the climate control is spot-on and I believe is outlined in the owner's manual as well.

Scott Harness
03/27/2008, 08:11 AM
It's probably an "urban myth" I always heard the compressor comes on to keep the parts and the freon lubed-up and fresh during the winter.

etlsport
03/27/2008, 07:12 PM
It's probably an "urban myth" I always heard the compressor comes on to keep the parts and the freon lubed-up and fresh during the winter.

that is another good reason for it to be on (does help prolong the life of your seals) but the drier your air the faster fog from the window will evaporate into it, i could show you on a psycrometric chart, but its spring break ;Db;