PDA

View Full Version : ABS Light Came On?

tomdietrying
03/26/2008, 06:33 PM
What do you think this could be. While driving a red stop light came on. I put on the brakes semi hard, but not enough to kick in the ABS system. When I started going again my ABS light turned on. It was solid. Also my ''CHECK" light came on. That light is just under the TOD wheel lights. Anyhow, the ''CHECK'' light would come on for about 5 seconds shut of for five and back on. While the "CHECK" came on my TOD would regester all lights on.

I stopped again at a red light. Shut the engine off, restarted it. It came back on about 10 seconds later.

I came home, cut the engine, restarted it, and drove it around. So far the light has not come back on.

Any ideas?

Thanks and Peace.
Tom

Ldub
03/26/2008, 08:04 PM
Since both ABS & TOD warning lights were on, I would suspect a sensor or sensor connection. I'm making that guess on the assumption that both systems share info. from a common sensor.:_wrench:

But like I said, just a guess.

deermagnet
03/27/2008, 06:19 AM
Ya can easily read the codes yourself in just a few minutes. Read 'em and write 'em down, then erase 'em and see if they show up again.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12939 (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12939)

Mark

tomdietrying
03/27/2008, 06:39 AM
Thanks Mark! I'll give that a try.
Peace.
Tom

nfpgasmask
03/27/2008, 08:49 AM
My ABS light goes on and off a lot. The check on the TOD does not however. Typically, in the morning, my ABS light will be off for a while and then it will come on and stay on most of the day...its annoying but so far I have had no ill effects....

Bart

LittleBeast
03/27/2008, 09:36 AM
My ABS light goes on and off a lot. The check on the TOD does not however. Typically, in the morning, my ABS light will be off for a while and then it will come on and stay on most of the day...its annoying but so far I have had no ill effects....

Bart

ME too. Typically if I ever park on a curb or uneven surface it always makes the ABS light stay on. I have gotten so used to it coming on and going off I don't even worry with it. I am just going to take the bulb out when I get it back.

Vasha13
05/14/2008, 11:53 AM
Hi,

My ABS light has been coming on intermittedly for the last week. I took it in today to find out why and they are advising that the ABS modulator valve is fried. This is a $2900 part. They said that what this means is that I won't have anti-lock brakes but there are some very rare instances of complete brake failure (will happen suddenly, not gradually).

Does this sound reasonable to y'all? And does anyone know if I can get (or if it's even advisable) a reburbished part for this that would be less $?

thx j

etlsport
05/14/2008, 04:31 PM
this happened to mine at the beginning of winter.. been driving without ABS with no problems, my brakes feel strong as ever, anita told me shes been without abs longer than that without any trouble, never heard of the sudden failure before

I picked up an abs module with 50k miles on it for 100 bucks.. even if it doesnt work.. i still have 28 tries left before i equal the dealership price

etlsport
05/14/2008, 04:33 PM
you could try flushing out the brake system completely and then next time you start the vx and the abs light is out, hurry to somewhere with gravel or dirt and do a few hard stops to engage the abs, could just have started to go because of not being used

Vasha13
05/14/2008, 06:02 PM
I will definitely try your way! thanks for the input. j

Inaba
06/20/2008, 07:31 AM
this happened to mine at the beginning of winter.. been driving without ABS with no problems, my brakes feel strong as ever, anita told me shes been without abs longer than that without any trouble, never heard of the sudden failure before

I picked up an abs module with 50k miles on it for 100 bucks.. even if it doesnt work.. i still have 28 tries left before i equal the dealership price

Where did you get the abs module? Mine seems to be out and I'm not paying $2900 for one!

VehiGAZ
06/20/2008, 10:40 AM
Tom, this sounds a lot like the problem I had over the winter - a wire harness clip broke on the underside, and the wires were hanging on the catalytic convertor. The insulation started to melt off and I got all sorts of sporadic ToD "check" and "ABS" warning lights, just like you are describing. After a couple of weeks of that, I finally shorted out the ToD fuse and all of the ToD lights went dark (don't recall what the ABS light did at that point).

tomdietrying
06/20/2008, 06:14 PM
VehiGAZ, yeah.....exactly what happened to me. My wire harness melted too because of the catalytic convertor! Took my baby to get her checked out. I found out the ABS light code was coming up code 24. My Isuzu tech rewired it, and all lights came off.

Well, my ABS light came back on after three months. Took it back to the tech, and he told me he would NOT charge me if the ABS light code was the same. Naturally, it was a different code. I had to pay the $94.00 to run the diagnostic test. It was code 44 this time. Basically, my tech told me not to fix it. He said even though my ABS light is on, I still have my ABS brakes. He also told me next time I saw him he would disconnect my ABS light if I got tired of looking at the it.

Peace.
Tom

etlsport
06/20/2008, 09:45 PM
picked it up from a parted VX .. think they are the same as in troopers and acura SLXs though

Solitude
06/21/2008, 06:51 PM
I remember when this site was new.. people complained about the terrible ABS system and complained why ISUXU wouldn't do a recall like they did on the
RODEO. A few disconnected the ABS system..

My system works real well though.. specially when you step on the brake and the gas at the same time... the gas overpowers the brake..