PDA

View Full Version : For the burners...

nfpgasmask
03/26/2008, 10:07 AM
OK, a few weeks ago, Ascinder said I should try a different motor oil to see if my burning changes. So I got to thinking about it, and maybe I should try something else. Lately, I have been driving alloverthefreakinplace, back and forth to the new house from the old house from work, etc, etc. It seems that with hwy miles at 65-75 mph, my VX burns about half a quart ever tank, which is terrible.

So, what I want to know, is for those of you who have a definite oil burning problem, what kind of oil are you using? For those of you without any burning problem, what lube are you using in the engine?

Right now I am running Mobile-1 10W40.

Thanks - Bart

johnnyapollo
03/26/2008, 10:20 AM
I lose about 1/4 qt per 1000 miles or so - it's done so since new, but sometimes uses a little more or less for whatever reason. I use Mobile-1 10W40. I don't think mine is excessive but could be wrong about that - it just makes you more aware of your truck.

-- John

Scott Harness
03/26/2008, 11:07 AM
I use conventional oil and burn a quart every 1000 miles or so. City miles

CrnCnn
03/26/2008, 03:52 PM
I think I am using the Quaker state torque power 10w40 and have not burnt any oil. I changed it the same time we did our tranny's

etlsport
03/26/2008, 03:59 PM
i burn 1 qt every 3k usually.. i run mobil 1 10w-30

newthings
03/26/2008, 04:08 PM
I have always run Mobil 1 5-30. I see a 1 qt. loss at 1500-2000 mi. I change the PCV valve every other change. I run the oil 3500 mi.
Roy

Chopper
03/26/2008, 04:16 PM
Boy, this post did not go where I expected. Mobil1, new PCV each change, and Lucas synth booster in the oil, top cylinder lube in the 93 gas, K&N oil filters. Never used oil between 3000 mi. changes. I drain out what I put in the last thirteen times (I drained all the fluids an' grease and changed them to Mobil1 the day I bought it)It has just over 36,000 on the odo. One of the lucky ones? Or an engine that has been nurtured from birth? You decide:)

Cobrajet
03/26/2008, 04:57 PM
Mobil-1 5W-30 and Mobil-1 filters since the first oil change. I've got 110K+ miles on her now and NEVER burned oil. I've never personally changed the PCV valve. I just hope that the dealership does that when I pay out the yazoo for their periodic checkup.

nfpgasmask
03/31/2008, 11:27 AM
I think I am using the Quaker state torque power 10w40 and have not burnt any oil. I changed it the same time we did our tranny's

How often do you check it? I notice with mine, that it will be fine, be fine, be fine, and then be gone!

Bart

CrnCnn
03/31/2008, 12:21 PM
How often do you check it? I notice with mine, that it will be fine, be fine, be fine, and then be gone!

Bart

I check it every time I fill up my gas.

JHarris1385
04/15/2008, 09:28 AM
just pulled this from the planetisuzu page.

"From the stuff I've heard on the oil consumption and valve tick issues in 3.2/3.5L isuzu motors, seafoam in the oil clears the gunk out of the lifters so they don't click and clears the oil ports on the oil rings. Clogged oil ports means the oil that needs to run back down into the motor as the piston moves can only go up and past the compression rings, then out the tailpipe. "

nfpgasmask
04/15/2008, 09:36 AM
just pulled this from the planetisuzu page.

"From the stuff I've heard on the oil consumption and valve tick issues in 3.2/3.5L isuzu motors, seafoam in the oil clears the gunk out of the lifters so they don't click and clears the oil ports on the oil rings. Clogged oil ports means the oil that needs to run back down into the motor as the piston moves can only go up and past the compression rings, then out the tailpipe. "

I guess I should try 3 or 4 more Seafoam treatments. I did it once, and nothing really changed.

Bart

Anita
04/15/2008, 09:47 AM
No need for oil between changes - conventional oil. I only use Isuzu PCV's, never aftermarket. Not all PCV's are created equal... IMHO

nfpgasmask
04/15/2008, 09:52 AM
No need for oil between changes - conventional oil. I only use Isuzu PCV's, never aftermarket. Not all PCV's are created equal... IMHO

Do you just get Isuzu PCVs from the dealer or from Merlin?

Bart

Anita
04/15/2008, 10:00 AM
I get them from the dealership that services the truck. But let me say that I havent had need to change them out every oil change.

The majority of parts I do order from Merlin, but for smaller $$ items I let the dealer make some money. In my situation, the service dept. has been very good to me and my mechanic is top on my list. Though the service dept and the parts dept are under one umbrella, I have no qualms to go elsewhere and get cheaper parts from Merlin. The service dept. doesnt bat an eye when I bring in my own parts.

VehiGAZ
04/15/2008, 11:10 AM
Bart, why are you pouring unnecessarily-expensive synthetic oil into your engine if you're just burning it up long before it can do your engine any good? Do you use nice fresh $20 bills to wipe the bugs off your windshield, too? Save yourself some money and switch back to dino-juice.

If you are burning oil - how often do you rev your engine over 4.5-5k rpm? If oil is burning up by getting past the piston rings (the most common way) then it will get past them much, much faster at high rpm. That might be one way to help control it. Try some more seafoam oil treatments, too. I'm making it a point to do so once a year on both cars.

etlsport
04/15/2008, 11:31 AM
Do you use nice fresh $20 bills to wipe the bugs off your windshield, too?

I have used my credit card to scrape tree sap off my VX before ;Db;

JHarris1385
04/15/2008, 11:55 AM
That other link I posted talked about using a thicker diesel oil instead.

Chopper
04/15/2008, 03:16 PM
That other link I posted talked about using a thicker diesel oil instead. Hence, the quart of Lucas Synth. oil booster at changes.

Solitude
04/15/2008, 04:43 PM
I use Mobil-1 5w-30 6000 mile intervals.. no top off and dump what I put in. 38200 on the odo, change pcv valve with napa one..napa oil filter..