PDA

View Full Version : needed a tire opinion?

pbkid
03/24/2008, 07:19 PM
hey guys im getting ready to buy my tires for moab and whatnot for the VX...just wanted some opinions from you guys who have had a little more experience in the offroad world....keep in mind that im a poor college kid....so money is a factor, but if im going to get a noticable increase in one tires performance against another...im willing to spend the money for the better tire....heres what ive found thats reasonable...
http://www.stopandgotires.com/model.asp?model=Courser%20MT
http://www.deltatire.com/catalog/tireDetails.asp?tID=18&tCatID=2&tireCat=LT
http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/tires_brand/tire_detail.php?id=1662
and the BFG mud terrain......

thanks guys

tomdietrying
03/24/2008, 07:44 PM
Are you buying these for Moab or a lot of mudding after Moab. You know the more rubber you have on the slickrock the better. With that said, I like the Yokos of the three. For an all around tire, Moab, highway and mudding, you can't go wrong with the Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrain 285/60VR-18. That's just MO.

Any tire you decide to put on the VX will look sharp.

Peace.
Tom

Triathlete
03/24/2008, 10:44 PM
You seemed to do alright on bald street tires last time!;eeky; :laughr: :laughp: :laughgray :laugho: :laughg: :laughb: :laughy:

Seriously though. Of the ones you posted the Geo's or the BFG MT (especially if you can get the new ones) are tried and tru!

Ldub
03/25/2008, 05:34 AM
After four years working in the tire industry (when I was much younger), I steer clear of "discount" brands, or brands I've never heard of.
The Yokos & the BFGs would be good, but I'm also a die hard Nitto fan.
Terra Grapplers are by far the best all around tire I've ever driven...great combination of wet/dry traction & very little road noise.
Bridgestone Dueller "REVO" is another excellent choice.

ojmagg
03/25/2008, 07:41 AM
Here's what I bought...

http://www.stopandgotires.com/model.asp?model=Dueler%20AT%20D693

Def not the best off-road tire, but pretty good on and off road. Very good in the little snow we had this year...

LittleBeast
03/25/2008, 08:59 AM
Nitto Terra Grappler ALL THE WAY!!!!! Unless you want to change wheels out, then go with Nitto Mudd Grapplers. Here is my suggestion on stock rims: Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/65-18, here is a link

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?c=1&sw=false&cs=285&pc=40336&rd=18&ar=65

Going to have to cut cladding just a little (no big deal) and raise the front torsion bars just a little to ride level (no big deal again), but if I had to do it over I would get the 285/65-18 Nitto Terra Grapplers listed above, best bang for the buck in my opinion, unless you want to change wheels too.

pbkid
03/25/2008, 10:44 AM
yea im changing my wheels to 15 inch plain black steel offroad style rims...
the only thing im worried about with the yoko's is that they have gotten really bad reviews throughout the web and from the tire guys i've talked to, they say that they wear poorly and they are much louder than any other offroad tire...
probably will end up with the mud terrain's because they just seem to be a good all around tire and a favored tire by many...

etlsport
03/25/2008, 10:50 AM
the only thing im worried about with the yoko's is that they have gotten really bad reviews throughout the web and from the tire guys i've talked to, they say that they wear poorly and they are much louder than any other offroad tire...
probably will end up with the mud terrain's because they just seem to be a good all around tire and a favored tire by many...

yea i got 15" offroad rims.. only to find out that nitto doesnt really make tires for 15's

pbkid
03/25/2008, 12:04 PM
oh that sucks....i would be pissed...im pretty sure that BFG does though...i would be surprised if they didnt....

LittleBeast
03/25/2008, 01:35 PM

Dude, if you do that I would love to see a VX with these on it:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?c=1&sw=false&cs=33&pc=33668&rd=15&ar=1250

or if you want some Nitto's these are avaliable in 15s but I don't like them at all:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?c=2&sw=false&cs=33&pc=40381&rd=15&ar=1250

Chopper
03/25/2008, 03:17 PM
Those Dune Grapplers work pretty well here, in the sand. Bought a set a few months back,mounted them...didn't really care for the on road feel. Sold them to a guy at work. He is in the dirt like every weekend, lives on a dirt road....he loves them. (I got Nitto 404's and couldn't be more pleased) Get 16" steelies, and the ATGrapplers....never heard of anyone unhappy with Nitto.

pbkid
03/25/2008, 07:30 PM
i really like those kumho tires they are nice looking and well priced...they are also a well known brand...

webdog
03/25/2008, 08:25 PM
I have been to Moab twice and will have to agree with this previous post.

"Terra Grapplers are by far the best all around tire I've ever driven...great combination of wet/dry traction & very little road noise.
Bridgestone Dueller "REVO" is another excellent choice." These are a real sweet tire year round.:cool:

Try 265/75 16 for good ground clearance and some sidewall padding when aired down. You will have to trim a little but that is no big deal.

Tru

WiSDoM
03/26/2008, 03:00 AM
i was thinking about these to http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...&rd=15&ar=1250 . they look nice. i have yoka..M/T + now and love them, but will be ready for another set of tires this year.

klatshaw
03/26/2008, 04:52 AM
http://www.roadwaywholesaletire.com/Firestone-Destination-MT_lrg.htm

ZEUS
03/26/2008, 08:42 AM
i really like those kumho tires they are nice looking and well priced...they are also a well known brand...Those Kumhos were the tires I wanted to get but the size offerings didn't work for me. They are awesome looking though!

Chopper
03/26/2008, 04:40 PM
http://www.roadwaywholesaletire.com/Firestone-Destination-MT_lrg.htm Like Explorers rolling over after they blow-out, and killing everyone on board?? I've heard a few things about Firestone too....That's why they were dropped by Ford...their oldest supporter.

Gussie2000
03/26/2008, 04:58 PM
Hey check this web site : tirerack.com

You can compare different kinds of tire brands & models that perfectly in the VX & beside that you can look at al kins of tips

crager34
03/27/2008, 08:07 AM
hey guys im getting ready to buy my tires for moab...

My opinion: Don't just buy for Moab, but buy for your driving as well. Think about how much off road driving vs. on road you will do. Look at the tire life, warranties, etc. A/T's will be quieter (for the most part) on the road which is where most of us spend most of our time and are the best all around tire. If your buying just for Moab, then go M/T's or more aggressive.

Buying cheaper now due to being a poor college person, doesn't always equate to cheaper in the long run. When I couldn't afford the tires I wanted I took out a "dad" loan and made sure I got 4-5 years out of the tires, including off roading.

Knivx
03/27/2008, 10:40 AM
I really wanted to get some nice mud tires of knobby things that just looked sweet and perform very well off road. Having only owned 4wd vehicles, most of which have had mud tires, the vx is the first that I've put AT's on. I shopped around online and managed to get 265/75r16 Nitto Terra Grapplers and 4 Hummer H3 wheels all for under 800 bucks which is good cuz all the local tire places wanted at least that much just for tires. I really like these tires and they seem to be pretty inexpensive compared to other brands like bfg. I have yet to really try them out in much more than some snowy mud but they performed very well. And they're quiet and will probably last me quite awhile even with off-roading. I found all my stuff on ebay, i'd suggest checking it out.

pbkid
03/27/2008, 11:40 AM
alright, thanks for all the great idea's guys...im gonna keep looking into options until i get my loan put completely through...by then i should have the lift on and be able to determine what size i can fit...

Ldub
03/27/2008, 04:09 PM
alright, thanks for all the great idea's guys...im gonna keep looking into options until i get my loan put completely through...by then i should have the lift on and be able to determine what size i can fit...

A lot of what will fit, will depend on the backspacing of the wheel you choose.
Mine are 5" backspacong on a 20" x 8" wheel...which allowed the fitment of 33"x12.50"x20" tires. Also OME 919's & a 1" poly spacer (I carry a lot of weight), T-bar crankage, a good bit of trimming & not so gentle massage with a 2 lb. hammer were also involved.:naughty:

klatshaw
03/28/2008, 05:05 AM
Like Explorers rolling over after they blow-out, and killing everyone on board?? I've heard a few things about Firestone too....That's why they were dropped by Ford...their oldest supporter.

The Were not Dropped buy ford Idiot and the tires Where not the cause Theres always one ***#### on every board I own a Vx and thought this site had some Interesting and SMART people. That was just a suggestion on a tire I own and was a very affordable and I like the tire look. Do your research first Ford has been Begging Bridgestone to come back those tires were on Many other types of SUV's why was the Explorer the only one with this issue look at Most High end Vehicles today and I believe you will find BridgestoneFirestone Brands on alot more then you might think and FORD has Made alot of great choices lately havent they!! Chopper you should Buy stock in Ford,

mbeach
03/28/2008, 12:26 PM
The Were not Dropped buy ford Idiot and the tires Where not the cause Theres always one ***#### on every board

Wow. I don't know you, but I'm pretty sure that Chopper has contributed more to this community than most of us here, and so deserves to be heard and respected.

Fact is, Ford (sadly) has a long history of cutting corners to save a buck. Pinto. Wilderness AT. Exploding Crown Vics. I'm sure there's more.
In the 90's, if you didn't get Firestones on your Ford, you got Generals. Another craptacular choice.

The Firestone M/Ts do look nice, and I like that fact that they are pinned for studs, but the stigma remains, and I will never, ever buy a set.
Nor will I put my family in an Explorer.

Bridgestone is a whole 'nother organization. I run Blizzaks on the truck in the winter (6 of 'em -ouch!), and most of our company trucks run Bridgestone commercials or AT Revos up and down the Dalton Highway (aka the worst road in America) all summer.

I give Bridgestone 2 thumbs up, but Firestone (and Ford, by association) get two different fingers.

For pure bang-for-the-buck tires though, I've found myself going to Dunlop more and more.
SP901s on my old WRX, Sport 9000s on the ML55, M/Ts on the Ironman.
In fact, my affair with Dunlop began 10 years ago when I replaced the General AmerTracs on my FORD F250 with a set of M/Ts. So, I guess that I can thank Ford - a little.

klatshaw
03/28/2008, 12:50 PM
Wow. I don't know you, but I'm pretty sure that Chopper has contributed more to this community than most of us here, and so deserves to be heard and respected.

Fact is, Ford (sadly) has a long history of cutting corners to save a buck. Pinto. Wilderness AT. Exploding Crown Vics. I'm sure there's more.
In the 90's, if you didn't get Firestones on your Ford, you got Generals. Another craptacular choice.

The Firestone M/Ts do look nice, and I like that fact that they are pinned for studs, but the stigma remains, and I will never, ever buy a set.
Nor will I put my family in an Explorer.

Bridgestone is a whole 'nother organization. I run Blizzaks on the truck in the winter (6 of 'em -ouch!), and most of our company trucks run Bridgestone commercials or AT Revos up and down the Dalton Highway (aka the worst road in America) all summer.

I give Bridgestone 2 thumbs up, but Firestone (and Ford, by association) get two different fingers.

For pure bang-for-the-buck tires though, I've found myself going to Dunlop more and more.
SP901s on my old WRX, Sport 9000s on the ML55, M/Ts on the Ironman.
In fact, my affair with Dunlop began 10 years ago when I replaced the General AmerTracs on my FORD F250 with a set of M/Ts. So, I guess that I can thank Ford - a little.

Bridgestone and Firestone are One Company and Duelers and Destinations are same Compounds and Constructions Just different tread patterns and other very minut things and Chopper I felt he was giving Me no respect for a Opinion thats all it was a Opinion and Bring Death and Rollovers to a Conversation about Tires I felt as if he was insulting my Opinion..Deserves RESPECT Just cause you contribute If it's worthless and insulting info why Respect that? Dunlop is a good tire owned Buy Goodyear It's their Middle brand then Sumitomo all Tire manufactures have that High Mid Low brands the Old Best Better Good sales pitch

Toad80t
03/28/2008, 03:01 PM
Name calling:thumbdn: It's all good here.:flower:

Chopper
03/28/2008, 04:12 PM
The Were not Dropped buy ford Idiot and the tires Where not the cause Theres always one ***#### on every board I own a Vx and thought this site had some Interesting and SMART people. That was just a suggestion on a tire I own and was a very affordable and I like the tire look. Do your research first Ford has been Begging Bridgestone to come back those tires were on Many other types of SUV's why was the Explorer the only one with this issue look at Most High end Vehicles today and I believe you will find BridgestoneFirestone Brands on alot more then you might think and FORD has Made alot of great choices lately havent they!! Chopper you should Buy stock in Ford,
Yeah, I'm the idiot.....that's why you gotta pick thru your post, like a Chinese puzzle to get a hint of where you are going. Run your crap on all the Firestone stuff you want....good luck, and I hope it works out for you. By the way you attack the language, I can assume a Grand roadside memorial will be built for you where you expire....complete with a giant cross, Teddy Bears, balloons, and photos of your entire genetic line. Uhhh no one is begging for Bridgestone/ Firestones...most here didn't even bother to wear their's out before they replaced them.....They are that good! Almost no one replaced them with Bridgestones....except YOU! You sir, are in a classless class all of your own....but you will always be an enigma in my mind. By the way....Ford stock has been in the single digits for months now.....they can't sink much lower. Now would be the time to buy.

Chopper
03/28/2008, 04:43 PM
Name calling:thumbdn: It's all good here.:flower:Bring it....I dare ya

Toad80t
03/28/2008, 06:03 PM
Bring it....I dare ya

"Ya double dare me":naughty: Quote from Billy Madison. J/J

JHarris1385
03/28/2008, 06:29 PM
Ford stock is like 4 bucks a pop last time I checked.....Thinking about purchasing myself. But there are reports that Ford will be bought out as a whole company by a Korean car company.....

klatshaw
03/28/2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I'm the idiot.....that's why you gotta pick thru your post, like a Chinese puzzle to get a hint of where you are going. Run your crap on all the Firestone stuff you want....good luck, and I hope it works out for you. By the way you attack the language, I can assume a Grand roadside memorial will be built for you where you expire....complete with a giant cross, Teddy Bears, balloons, and photos of your entire genetic line. Uhhh no one is begging for Bridgestone/ Firestones...most here didn't even bother to wear their's out before they replaced them.....They are that good! Almost no one replaced them with Bridgestones....except YOU! You sir, are in a classless class all of your own....but you will always be an enigma in my mind. By the way....Ford stock has been in the single digits for months now.....they can't sink much lower. Now would be the time to buy.

You Make absolutley No Sense I said Ford is Begging! Not People here!!No one said anything about replacing with Bridgestone, Pay attention Sounds as if a Enigma is all that your mind can hold Ole grand Master You run Your Crap on whatever you want and I will mine, so we both have Crap Get a education and Become a Man and stop the little dig on Crap YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!!