PDA

View Full Version : auto trans question

rowhard
03/21/2008, 12:11 PM
First. let me qualify myself. I got my drivers license in 1963, so do the math, been driving a long time.

The VX is my first automatic, ever. Now, I know what hot transmission fluid smells like. Do these things have a breather? Being a closed system, i.e., no dip stick, why am I smelling transmission fluid when I drive a bit harder then I should, but it sure is fun

Knivx
03/21/2008, 12:21 PM
Not to steal from your thread but I've smelled odd smells when i really work the tod, say going up a muddy snowy hill. I always assumed it was a normal-ish smell with the tod switching power around. But then i started to wonder cuz my tod doesn't work in reverse and it felt like it had a little less power.
But anyhow i have smelt a kinda burnt smell too so I'd be interested to know as well

Ldub
03/21/2008, 04:36 PM
As I understand the TOD system, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) it transfers power to the front wheels through the use of clutch packs, so a bit of an odor wouldn't seem that far fetched.
In any case, if you're going to be "workin' it" over some nasty terra firma, you should be in 4-lo.

rowhard
03/21/2008, 10:19 PM
No, talking about in town, slicing and dicing in traffic is all. The only offroading I do is the 200 foot gravel driveway at home.

rowhard
03/28/2008, 03:42 AM
Well Knivx, guess we're not going to get a answer here.

tom4bren
03/28/2008, 06:37 AM
rowhard,

I've never experienced what you're talking about so can't really comment. If your tranny juice ain't discolored tho, I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about.

johnnyapollo
03/28/2008, 07:36 AM
I get a lot of smells like that - most in my case are coming from the breather filter I put on the motor when I installed the SC. I also notice a lot more 'wet' when crawling under but don't see it when checking fluid levels. My guess is that under certain circumstances fluids weep out of joints - not enough to produce real "leaks" but enough that the fluid is out and can burn against hot surfaces. JMHO.

-- John

nfpgasmask
03/28/2008, 10:58 AM
...I once (like an idiot) tried to take my VX up a fairly steep dirt hill just to see how the TOD handles the incline and power distribution. I made it up with no problem, but I could smell the trans fluid burning. Needless to say, that was the first and last time I did anything like that. 4-low is the only way to wheel!

Bart

Knivx
03/28/2008, 01:10 PM
Now I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means but I've been the owner of numerous other 4x4s (jeeps, fords, suzuki, land rover) and in some instances off road i feel the high range wheel speed to be better than the low range pull. If it's harmful to the vehicle to use the tod in this manner wouldn't we hear of more problems with it? I surely don't want to have to put it in low every time i might have some wheel slip off road. I want all options possible. Maybe I'm confusing myself. As far as a SAS goes it would seem to me the biggest hurdle would be the tod system. Off subject a bit i suppose.

Knivx
03/28/2008, 01:12 PM
By the way the hill wasn't steep. More of just an incline. I agree the only way to climb is in low. But mud and snow, high range usually works better for me.