PDA

View Full Version : Help upconverting DSS encrypted DVD's

UtahVXer
03/19/2008, 07:21 PM
I have read that DSS encrypted DVD's will not be upconverted via HDMI on most upconverting players, and that the only way to upconvert these titles is to first make a backup copy (removing DSS). Can anyone confirm this?
I don't undestand why the DSS encryption would make any difference. After all, the DVD has to be decrypted before displaying the contents, regardless of the type of encryption used. Furthermore, a good HDTV should automatically "upconvert" all input signals to its native resolution. Can anyone shed further light on this? Thanks.
If this is true, then the value of upconverting players is greatly diminished.

Bulldoggie
03/19/2008, 08:11 PM
On Mac OS, I can rip and copy "Arcoss" encrypted (Spydie 3, Pirates 3 ect..) with Mactheripper 3.0-R14d
The copies are still encrypted?
Handbrake can convert all but "Arcoss" titles.
I'm glad that not that many movies are "Arcoss", mostly Disney-Pixar (S. Jobs?)
I don't think I can remove it without going anolog to digital (way too much time)
But computers are just a hobby for me.:confused:

WyrreJ
03/23/2008, 01:31 PM
If this is true, then the value of upconverting players is greatly diminished.

It's not true. Typically, the ONLY way to get upscaled playback is via HDMI. The MAFIAA's (http://www.mafiaa.org/) rules are that upscaled output must be encrypted and HDMI is the only high-resolution connection that is encrypted.

So if you have an HDMI TV set, you should do just fine with any HDMI-based upscaling player - like most of the HD-DVD players that are selling for firesale prices nowadays.