PDA

View Full Version : reapir body cladding

PWX1
06/17/2003, 09:53 PM
some loveable fool keyed my side body cladding- what's a quick fix- i don't want to rub it raw!

Cptnmorgan
06/18/2003, 05:26 AM
NEW cladding is the only "fix" I know of. If you try to sand it out you will lose the texture. Contact St. Charles Isuzu and get you a new piece. Depending on which piece it is (assuming it's a fender piece) it will run you around $200.

Next best solution is to have all your cladding coated in Line-X or Rhino lining. They do it in colors, therfore you may be able to change the whole look of your ride.......

good luck,
3C

Navigator
06/18/2003, 05:42 AM
I have a brand new passenger side front fender piece of cladding sitting in my basement collecting dust. Make me an offer :D

Vasha13
06/18/2003, 05:56 AM
My cladding was gouged a little bit when a dealership was doing some repairs. They were able to heat/reform/retexture the cladding rather than replace it. However, it was very small and they had to bring a 'professional' person in to do it. They didn't have someone on their staff that could handle it. I don't know if this technique would work in a bigger scratch or in a highly visible place. Just a suggestion if the cladding is going to be replaced anyway - it might be worth a test.

PWX1
06/18/2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Navigator
I have a brand new passenger side front fender piece of cladding sitting in my basement collecting dust. Make me an offer :D

PWX1
06/18/2003, 07:18 AM
THANKS FOR THE OFFER- BUT GOUGES ARE ON DRIVERS SIDE FRONT FENDER- MAYBE HE/SHE WILL STRIKE AGAIN!:p

PWX1
06/18/2003, 07:23 AM
I'LL TRY TO HEAT IT UP- MAYBE A HOT BLOW DRY FOLLOWED BY A QUICK RUB DOWN- I'LL POST RESULTS!~

Spike
06/18/2003, 07:23 AM
I thought I had read somwhere a long time ago that cladding for any specific VX is serial numbered and recorded/registered to the VIN# ...

... Is it?

Triathlete
06/18/2003, 09:27 AM
Just a suggestion...
Quite a few have had LIne-X applied to their cladding with great sucsess. Not only does it look good but its also durable and helps protect it! It also comes in colors if you desire a change.:bomb: :smack:

hchen
06/18/2003, 09:36 AM
line-x....is that why i see pics of some vx with blue side cladding and whatnot? you kno where i can get the product? im gettin scratches on mine as well...damn people in parking lots disrespectin my vx -__________-

Dallas4u
06/18/2003, 10:01 AM
Yeah, Line-X is a truck bed protectant. It looks good and seems to work well.

hchen
06/18/2003, 10:23 AM
so i can pick it up at autozone or pepboys? places like that?

Vasha13
06/18/2003, 10:39 AM
I think Line-X is professionally applied but I am unsure as to how much it costs to have done. I know there are threads on this so maybe a search function for the cost or additional details.

Vasha13
06/18/2003, 10:42 AM
I found this info on Club Vmag

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/002240.html

- Grandpa Bob had it done.

hchen
06/18/2003, 11:53 AM
thanks for the info~!

Anita
06/18/2003, 11:58 AM
I need to buy the rear passenger piece since sometime decided to key me under the gas cap. Grrrrrrr

I suppose it was a gas consuming SUV comment....

:flame2:

PWX1
06/18/2003, 02:16 PM
HAS ANYBODY USED A TRUCK LINING (LINE-X) TOUCH UP SPRAY TO REPAIR GOUGES OR DEEP SCATCHES ON ORIGINAL CLADDING?

zadam123
06/18/2003, 04:38 PM
i have had my car line X , Im the one with the blue line X. This is not sold in stores and has to be profesionaly applied. The whole car including hood insert would cost around 400 -500. if you get the color there is only one place that does it in the hamptons. The problem with the colored is that he cant match colors if you need a touch up. But i had painted mine to match the rest and no problems, its actualy easy and will stick to the line x ( which is pretty much plastic ). this stuff is really strong and almost imposible to scratch. check out there website. http://www.linexcorp.com/

This stuff is even bomb resistant! :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

you can see some picks of mine here http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/003806.html

adam

PWX1
06/19/2003, 08:42 AM
got this reply today from urethane supply company (has website www.urethanesupply)
1. clean with 100-a super clean ($6.50)
2. fill gouges (after sanding) with 2020-t hard set filler ($22.95)
3. paint with bumper and cladding coat (3518-8 honda black- $32.95 /pint) one pint o.k. if you don't spray too heavy- if you don't have a sprayer use a preval sprayer ($12.95) + 2 cartridges
total w/sprayer/catridges under $100.
or if you don't want to do entire car:
1. use the filler and conceal repair with bumper and trim black. (which will not match cladding color as well so may have to apply to all cladding)

:cool: :cool:

Cptnmorgan
06/19/2003, 03:11 PM
I would like to add that the reason I replaced my passenger side rear cladding is becasue prior to my onwership someone had re-painted it with this cladding repair CRAP!!!! It was not a good match and therefore had to be oversprayed onto other pieces of cladding. It eventually started to peel, and I had to replace the whole piece. The other bad thing is they had to paint the marker light also, so that got replaced too. Its a little off in color..... Our cladding is almost a true black. The stuff you speak of is NOT!!! Beware!!! There's nothing like factory replacement parts!!! OR Line-X!!!

PWX1
06/19/2003, 06:03 PM
SORRY I DON'T HAVE THE BUCKS FOR A NEW PANEL OR LINE-X -I'M JUST A POOR NOOBEE LOOKING FOR AN ALTERNATIVE/QUICK FIX TO A FEW SCATCHES - DIDN'T MEAN TO INSULT THE ROYAL HIGHNESS OF CUSTOM VX NESS-
DOES THIS MEAN I CAN'T JOIN YOUR CULT AND DRINK THE COOL AID JIM?

dyanni
06/19/2003, 06:33 PM
I like grape kool-aid.
http://www.bright.net/~dapoets/koolaid.jpg

Bantan
06/19/2003, 10:23 PM
http://www.msnusers.com/bantan4u@hotmail.com/Documents/Pictures%2FOlympus%20Download%20113.jpg

Cptnmorgan
06/20/2003, 06:11 AM
deleted for the benifit of saving face

PWX1
06/20/2003, 08:41 AM
O.K. Mr. Eastwood. So I (PUNK) didn't realize how serious this stuff really is- But fixing some scratches on my cladding would really make my day! Anybody with a less sensitive side/biceps want to respond? Sense of humor O.K!

andy454
06/20/2003, 09:38 AM
Anyone know a good way to get tar off of the cladding? I don't know what I drove through, but this stuff is all over the lower part of my driver door. I have tried everything from gunk to the castrol cleaner and nothing seems to take it off. Ever brake clean won't touch it. Any ideas? This is on the section under the kick plate and right behind the drivers wheel also. I am almost to the point of replacing it. I wonder if my zano clay bar would touch it? That's about the only thing I haven't tried. Thanks in advance.
Andy

AREA 51
06/20/2003, 10:46 AM
Andy, try some WD-40, it has 1,000,001 uses!

Cptnmorgan
06/20/2003, 04:04 PM
I never meant to be the all knowing, and I will never be the all knowing. Just simply giving my experience which is what this forum is primarily based on. Take it or leave it!! No need for rude or snide comments. This is my first time in 2 years on this forum and V-mag that I have had someone comment on my post negatively. I got defensive, and then deleted the post. My apologies for seemingly sounding rude and smarassey. I guess there is a first time for everything.:sighr2:

Vasha13
06/20/2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks Cptnmorgan - I for one thought your post was informative and I am glad you told at least me about it. That would be an expensive mistake to make if you didn't know before hand.

PWX1
06/21/2003, 09:35 AM
Has anybody used a black "filler" to repair gouges on cladding- was able to "rub out" some of the damage - it looks respectable with a big dose of mothers- but would look even better filling in a few of the deeper spots with a filler that gets close to the VX clad color so it's not necessary to apply anything on top of it (other than mother's or just once) that may not match or will damage cladding.
Again- call me cheap but I don't want/need to redo all cladding, replace a panel or apply line-x. ANY ATTEMPT APPRECIATED!

PWX1
06/21/2003, 07:06 PM
melting some p-tex to repair my skis for a-basin tomorrow- i just might try a little on my cladding- i few more brews and i'll have the courage!