PDA

View Full Version : New Brake Parts Advice Wanted

TechnoPope
03/18/2008, 05:55 PM
Due to a recent brake failure on our '01 VX, I need to replace my rear calipers, rotors and pads. At least that is what the mechanic told me.

Any recommendations on replacement parts?
Should I do the front at the same time?
Would this be a good time to install stainless steel brake lines?

I received a parts price quote from the garage that seemed reasonable, but I would prefer to use good aftermarket or Isuzu parts.
Any advice or shared experience would be appreciated.

etlsport
03/18/2008, 05:59 PM
stock brakes are pretty awesome.. im also a big fan of stainless lines, only problem with doing them now is you dont get to feel the difference as much because everything changes;Db; either way i dont regret the 200 i spent on my SS lines or the 160 i spent on my OEM brake pads

TechnoPope
03/18/2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. Where did you purchase your brake lines?

etlsport
03/18/2008, 06:36 PM
independent4x... actually they have gone down in price!

http://www.independent4x.com/item.html?UCIDs=839915%7C1109486&PRID=1221569

i think that AZ vehicross offers some for less w/ more color options but i dont know anything about those, these indy4x ones are made for 3" lifts but im running mine on a stock vx with no problems (been on for like 6-8 months now)

rowhard
03/18/2008, 07:09 PM
Have you been under it lately to check for any chaffing? A concern with running longer hoses.

etlsport
03/18/2008, 07:25 PM
what do you mean by chaffing? i have been under there recently, they look just like they did when i first installed them

VCrossfan
03/18/2008, 07:56 PM
Use factory OEM pads....

Bulldoggie
03/18/2008, 08:45 PM
what do you mean by chaffing? i have been under there recently, they look just like they did when i first installed them

Chaffing=rubbing
sometimes the extra slack will rub against a shock or ?

TechnoPope
03/21/2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the replies. I ordered new front an rear pads from St. Charles Isuzu and new (rebuilt) Isuzu rear calipers. No one seemed to have any advice on after market calipers. I plan to order new rotors all around from R1Concepts. I can't find much info on SS brake lines for a non-lifted VX. The I4X sound like they can work but I don't want issues with my mechanic if he thinks they are too long. If there is any more advice out there, please let me know soon. Thanks again.

Gussie2000
04/09/2008, 08:46 PM
Since i bought my VX i had issues with my brakes running long so my mech told me to replace all rotors & pads

I just purchase a full set of drilled rotors from this seller.

The pads i'll rather buy them in person.

Is there any pads that is recommended ?

etlsport
04/09/2008, 09:01 PM
OEM pads from isuzu are the recommended pads for performance/longevity/minimal brake dust

Ldub
04/10/2008, 05:31 AM
OEM pads from isuzu are the recommended pads for performance/longevity/minimal brake dust

X 2...I've never had a vehicle that had such minimal brake dust.

OEM = good stuff!:_wrench:

VehiGAZ
04/10/2008, 05:56 AM
Just got off the phone with my Isuzu dealer regarding brakes - nothing was in stock and she would have to check the warehouse system to find stock rotors (not sure about pads), and they might even have to get shipped from Japan.

So... Check with Isuzu to see what parts you can actually get.

etlsport
04/10/2008, 07:50 AM
hmm I had no trouble getting my pads like 4-5 months ago. got a set of front and rear pads for about 90/pair had them in like 24 hrs

MSHardeman
04/10/2008, 08:05 AM
CALL MERLIN (with St. Charles Izusu)!!! I just ordered a set of front and rear brake pads from him, as well as some other stuff, and it all got here in under a week. Merlin's the man.

Gussie2000
04/10/2008, 05:49 PM
Today i drove by the mech,he suggest me the ceramic pads by wagner even tough the OEM are very good he said so while the rotors are on the way i'll keep searching for options;I willing to spend more then the average amount of $$$ for good brake :)pads

Ldub
04/10/2008, 06:29 PM
Today i drove by the mech,he suggest me the ceramic pads by wagner even tough the OEM are very good he said so while the rotors are on the way i'll keep searching for options;I willing to spend more then the average amount of $$$ for good brake :)pads

Then get OEMs...they cost more than many aftermarket pads.:_wrench:
Of course the mech is going to recommend something he will mark up by about 100%.

Kenny
04/10/2008, 07:46 PM
Go OEM.
I have the high end EBC Green Stuff pads and though they stick like glue, there is still dust. The OEMs had virtually nil.

Mr.Badguy
04/12/2008, 05:19 PM
last summer i replaced my brakes, pads and rotors, front and rear, with the R1 Concepts drilled and slotted rotors, and their corresponding pads. I am much happier with them then i was with the OEM brakes. the OEM brakes heated up and caused too much noise for me. Also i get very little dust from them. they are a little more than OEM but not much. definitly a good option.

Gussie2000
04/13/2008, 05:08 PM
Then get OEMs...they cost more than many aftermarket pads.:_wrench:
Of course the mech is going to recommend something he will mark up by about 100%.
Well the mech don't sell parts or accesories he just suggest me few brands.

Is the only mech i trust,my entire family & friends also deals with him,nice guy,very honest.something very hard to find out there

I found a full set of brake pads by satisfied,high perfomance ceramics low dust along with the R1 concepts rotors every thing should be straight soon

:)

Ldub
04/14/2008, 06:16 AM
[QUOTE=Gussie2000;123975]Is the only mech i trust,my entire family & friends also deals with him,nice guy,very honest.something very hard to find out there. [QUOTE]

That's hard to find anywhere, glad you've got one of the good ones.:smilewink