PDA

View Full Version : Does this still happen to everyone???

mrtew
03/17/2008, 07:16 PM
Today I went to the grocery store and the autoparts store and was asked three times what kind of car that was and not believed, once when it was 'coming out' and once if it was a concept car. It helped that this weekend I painted the wiperarms, buffed out the headlights, polished the wheels and windexed the entire body after two trips thru the wash, and that's it's Proton yellow, but still.... it's a seven year old truck! Is it ever going to look old? Are you guys still getting these comments every day? (if not go wash it!)

nfpgasmask
03/17/2008, 07:25 PM
Today I went to the grocery store and the autoparts store and was asked three times what kind of car that was and not believed, once when it was 'coming out' and once if it was a concept car. It helped that this weekend I painted the wiperarms, buffed out the headlights, polished the wheels and windexed the entire body after two trips thru the wash, and that's it's Proton yellow, but still.... it's a seven year old truck! Is it ever going to look old? Are you guys still getting these comments every day? (if not go wash it!)

Actually, its been a while since anyone inquired about my VX. For like the first 6 months I was in Reno, I got a lot of comments. I think everyone is used to it by now!! :P

Did you say you windexed the entire VX??? :rolleyes:

Bart

mrtew
03/17/2008, 07:33 PM
Yeah I ran it thru the carwash twice and it still had a black spotty film on it from three months of driving in the salt that would only come off with Windex so I did it! It's gleaming now! And I think it's snowing tonight.

etlsport
03/17/2008, 07:38 PM
i gets stares often, not really inquires recently, most recent inquiry was at a bar last week, i used my VX credit card and the bartender was like wow that things bad--- what is it and we got to talkin about it (another vxer was with me too so we gave him the brief history and he told us about his restored ford pickup

started my new job last week, turns out one guy who works in the department across from me is a VX lover and tried to get another co-worker to buy a VX a couple years ago! after looking at mine and goin for a quick spin, hes back in the market for one and looking at the proton in fla!

Gussie2000
03/17/2008, 07:56 PM
Well two days after i had my VX delivered i headed to an new home depot near my house to buy an screwdrivers set kit to keep it in the truck & as i was exiting the store i had a bunch of people standing around my toy,i got freak out :eek: because i though some thing wrong was going on,while approaching my truck all of them begind asking me questions about the VX,who build them,which year is it,etc.

Two nice chicks ask me to have some pics with alonside the VX,i felt like i were a hollywood star or something similar.:p

It was a nice experience since i never had an outstanding vehicule such as the great VX,from that moment i trully understood how special this SUV are.

Every day i have people asking me about the VX.

I bet my very life that if isuzu did kept building this jewel today it will be the top-of-the-line SUV in the market. :o

I was completed surprissed when an isuzu tech told me that the guys who design the VX were the same that design the infinity FX 35,so i just step wondering...... Damn it ! :cool: how the VX will be with all the features & options in the today's market eh ? :rolleyes:

So-CalVX
03/17/2008, 09:02 PM
I was in Montecito and Santa Barbara last weekend and whenever I came back to the VX from the beach there were people staring and would ask all the questions... Who, what, where... I feel great explaining about it and love all the looks and thumbs ups I get... It's great

etlsport
03/17/2008, 09:08 PM
ive noticed that going to typical vacation spots draws more attention to the VX.. was in cape may new jersey and got 4-5 comments in one day.. rehoboth beach, delaware seemed like every 3rd person walking down the street was looking the whole way down the street, i think people look more closely at their surroundings when on vacation/ somewhere they arent familiar with, so the vx sticks out even more

snowtrooper1966
03/17/2008, 09:09 PM
"What the Hell is that thing"?
That's what I hear all the time:bwgy:
I too, get folks asking where they can get one, and complete surprise when they find out it is a seven year old vehicle.....
Priceless!
James

mdwyer
03/17/2008, 09:42 PM
I was completed surprissed when an isuzu tech told me that the guys who design the VX were the same that design the infinity FX 35

Oooooooh... Well, that explain a lot. I really like the look of the FX 35. I can't imagine it actually going over anything more technical than a speedbump, though, and that's why I got the VX -- so I could access my land!

I've never had someone stop me in a parking lot, but I've had plenty of rubber-necking on the highway. I finally went through with a partial debadging, because confounding people is that much more fun.

CrnCnn
03/17/2008, 09:50 PM
No questions lately. Lots of heads turning when Beau and I were headed up the mountain saturday though.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/ALBUNDY.gif

snowtrooper1966
03/17/2008, 09:58 PM
Waadaya mean, no questions lately?:bwgy:
I know I had a million a few weeks ago when we met, and the citizen that walked up when we came out of the returant, looking @ the three VX's in formation....
James

johnnyapollo
03/18/2008, 03:06 AM
I get questions about it weekly - have since I bought it in 2001. Just had someone in the elevator (of my building) yesterday ask me about it. I even had someone from HP who was in town for the day email me about it (I was parked at the mall and he came out of a restaurant, saw the VX and did a web search when he got back to his computer - he knew it was mine from the website where the custom plate is posted).

-- John

mrtew
03/18/2008, 03:32 AM

Yeah sometimes I get used to people staring and asking and don't even notice until I take some fancy BMW or Infinity out of the garage at work and notice that nobody's looking at me. I kinda feel like I suddenly got old and ugly and long to get back in my truck that makes guys check me out and girls giggle and swoon. Once I was taking my old neighbor lady out to eat and she said that the two dudes walking down the sidewalk were staring at her and making her nervous, and I said, don't worry, it's just the car. She said she didn't think so. Then they did the window roll gesture and said "what the heck is that" and I said "told you so!".

CrnCnn
03/18/2008, 06:16 AM
I know I had a million a few weeks ago when we met, and the citizen that walked up when we came out of the returant, looking @ the three VX's in formation....
James

Oh yeah, that guy. Cari and I did some running around more that day and he was almost everywhere we went. Didnt say anything to us but was always around.

nfpgasmask
03/18/2008, 08:22 AM
James

Having a bunch of VXes in one place always draws attention. You should come to Moab and see for yourself!

Bart

WormGod
03/18/2008, 08:27 AM
Nope, all I ever hear anymore is friends who see me on weekends with it....

"I see you brought out the tennis shoe today"

:cool:

snowtrooper1966
03/18/2008, 08:31 AM
I get questions about it weekly - have since I bought it in 2001. Just had someone in the elevator (of my building) yesterday ask me about it. I even had someone from HP who was in town for the day email me about it (I was parked at the mall and he came out of a restaurant, saw the VX and did a web search when he got back to his computer - he knew it was mine from the website where the custom plate is posted).

-- John

Now that's some detective work!
What website are you referring to?
James

snowtrooper1966
03/18/2008, 08:34 AM
...that makes guys check me out....

I used to have really long hair, and when I drove my '66 GTO convertible, I would get guys rolling up on me giving me the "eye", untill they realized they were "checking out" a dude...Yikes!
James

snowtrooper1966
03/18/2008, 08:36 AM
Oh yeah, that guy. Cari and I did some running around more that day and he was almost everywhere we went. Didnt say anything to us but was always around.

A vehistocker?
It's a good thing you got that FOB now to deter overzealous lookieloos....
James

snowtrooper1966
03/18/2008, 08:37 AM
Having a bunch of VXes in one place always draws attention. You should come to Moab and see for yourself!

Bart

Damn, Bart!
Belive me, I do want to be part of the VX squardon, but I have previous commitments. Next season 4sure!
James

JGeorge264
03/18/2008, 08:47 AM
On Saturday, my son and I were heading up North to visit family. We were stopped at a light and I noticed in my rear view that the guys in the pickup behind me were taking pictures of the back of my vx. Next light up they were beside us taking more pics, then gave a thumbs up and were gone. I get comments about the vx at least once a week. Gotta love it!

bigkoala1
03/18/2008, 10:05 AM
Nope, all I ever hear anymore is friends who see me on weekends with it....

"I see you brought out the tennis shoe today"

my neighbors call it a "roller skate"

johnnyapollo
03/18/2008, 11:29 AM
My website:
http://www.wildtoys.com/vehicross/

If you google "vehicross atlanta" my site comes up, first my CarDomain listing after Dave Sirkin, then my website. I guess he clicked on my website and saw the license plate.

-- John

don moore
03/18/2008, 01:33 PM
I was at a dinner show saterday and a guy said" I have a friend up in portland that was 2 of thoses cars ..but i think his are 2007s":p
I smiled and nodded my head..then looked at my wife ..she smiled...hehe

Jolly Roger VX'er
03/18/2008, 04:13 PM
mines been mostly in hibernation (keep the road salt off!) during this winter, but, I did drive it last night to a restaurant/bar in town and the local girl who works there started asking me questions about it...acted like she wants to buy one...my buddy told her "good luck finding one"...lol.

Joe Isuzu
03/18/2008, 04:59 PM
"i gets stares often, not really inquires recently, most recent inquiry was at a bar last week, i used my VX credit card and the bartender was like wow that things bad--- what is it and we got to talkin about it (another vxer was with me too so we gave him the brief history and he told us about his restored ford pickup"

yea, I know I'm a little late on adding to this thred seeing as how it's over a page and a half now, but something etlsport said caught my eye
What VX credit card? is this something mbna offers? they do a lot of sports teams, colleges and so forth
get a lot of stares, mostly from young people, as in their teens, most people that comment assume two things
1)is that a kia? (no!)
2)b/c it's small you must get good gas mileage (NNNNNOOOO!!!)

etlsport
03/18/2008, 05:11 PM
hehe nope i ordered it through www.capitalonecardlab.com
:D
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/card_004.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10403)

ZEUS
03/18/2008, 05:22 PM
Believe it or not while we were taking a break near a fork on a trail called Hells Revenge in Moab the other day a helicopter flew into view, and then it circled my area a couple times, and then it started hovering above our location. As we started up the trail again it gained altitude and flew ahead of us. Get this... it actually landed near us on the slickrock near the obstacle called The Escalator. Apparently, the old guy in the heli was catching up to his son who was wheeling a red 4-door JK near us. The old guy got out of the heli and climbed into his son's Jeep. We passed them on the trail at this point. The heli took off. But the land lovers watched me do Tip Over Challenge in my VX with amazment and started clapping when I made it up - nobody thought it would make it since I am all open in the diffs. At the end of the trail, I found out they hovered in the heli trying to figure out what kind of "car" it was. He said he really liked it, couldn't beleive it was an Isuzu, and that I do a really good job with it. ...And then I got flipped off by some jack hole the next day! :mad:

Chopper
03/18/2008, 05:26 PM
I get asked about my "Suzuki" every few weeks.

mrtew
03/18/2008, 06:30 PM
I get asked about my "Suzuki" every few weeks.

Wow, I'm sure glad that has never happened to me! People used to love to tease me about my "Fiero" a lot when I had an MR2 though.

cyronman
03/18/2008, 06:40 PM
In the past few months, only one guy yelled from next to me at a stop light "I like that thing man, WTH is it?!"
Other than that it's been ASSumed twice or thrice that's it's a Toyota or Hyundai.

I think, ironically, I had more people ask about it when it still said 'vehicross' on it, before I debadged.
Now, they probably don't want to act intrigued...kinda like they're too cool to tell you you have a cool car...but they still look. I think people think it's a Hyundai or something and that that's why I debadged it...because I was ''embarrassed'' or something.
If they only knew.
(hence my signature)

WormGod
03/19/2008, 07:49 AM
Had a funny one yesterday.

Got off the highway in my WRX and came to the first light on my way for my evening Starbucks coffee. Sitting at the light, I dropped my window and lit up a smoke. Exiting the highway, there was a cop that had been behind me for a few miles, and he stopped in the lane right next to me. His passenger side window comes down and an older gentleman, whom I didnt recognize, says "Hey, don't you ever drive that ISUZU to work anymore? Man, I miss seeing that thing. It's VERY cool!"

I had to stop and think for a minute cause I was like "Who IS this guy? Do I know him?"

I responded "You mean the black VehiCROSS?"

He says, "Ya, I used to see you nearly everyday in it. Now I just see you driving that (nods his head to my car).

Still not really knowing who he was or how he knew who I even was, I just said "Well, I'll bring it out more often on weekdays just for you then."

He winked and gave me a thumbs up.

Later on last night, it dawned on me that he was the cop that used to live in the condo complex I moved from a couple years ago and used to wave to when I saw him leaving the lot in the mornings, heh.

Small world.

tom4bren
03/19/2008, 10:04 AM
Cruisin to Philly in the Proton this weekend. Prolly turn a few heads there. Have to wait & see.

BuxGuy
03/19/2008, 12:12 PM
Last week a dude at a red light asked me what it was and where can he get one. He thought it was an '08! I told him it was an '01 and long since been out of production. I saw his wife in the passenger seat grab a pen out of the glovebox of his honda accord and start writing.

bigkoala1
03/19/2008, 12:19 PM
Last week a dude at a red light asked me what it was and where can he get one. He thought it was an '08! I told him it was an '01 and long since been out of production. I saw his wife in the passenger seat grab a pen out of the glovebox of his honda accord and start writing.

that wasnt you i say in pinellas park a couple days ago was it?

i saw a proton and an ebony within like 5 mins!!! talked to the guy in the ebony. told him about the site. but the proton was parked in the same complex as my work and i didnt see him leave.

BuxGuy
03/19/2008, 12:26 PM
that wasnt you i say in pinellas park a couple days ago was it?

Nope, haven't been to Pinellas Park. But I'll give you a shout-out next time I'm headed that way. Hey, think we have enough Florida VXs to hold a meet somewhere. Orlando, St. Augustine, South Beach somewhere cool!

bigkoala1
03/19/2008, 12:32 PM
yea i wouldnt mind doin that, its just hard to get off from work.

etlsport
03/19/2008, 03:56 PM
Cruisin to Philly in the Proton this weekend. Prolly turn a few heads there. Have to wait & see.

ill be around! give me a call if u get some free time, we could get a mini meet together

Gussie2000
03/19/2008, 05:08 PM
Today as usuall i went to work so right after i walk through the hall way these guys who were there for the last week replacing some electrical wiring ask me.....

Hey buddy what's up

I: i'm ok & you guys

Guys: well wondering where is your "transformer" or what ever is that you drive

I : jajajajaja well,probably he went some where to fight megatron jajajajajaja

One of the guys added : i don't even go close by,he may just begins to transform into some thing else,who knows. :p

don moore
03/19/2008, 09:10 PM
last month I was at a paint shop with a friend ..and the owner was out looking at my VX ..he can in and said "Whos new Saturn:eek: was that in the parking lot".....LOL:smilewink

tom4bren
03/20/2008, 04:06 AM
"ill be around! give me a call if u get some free time, we could get a mini meet together"

Eric,

Unfortunately goin up to check on BIL who just got out of the hospital. Not anticipating any oportunity this trip. We'll try to carve out some time on the next trip (prolly late Spring/early Summer). Been talking to Wifey about checking out that haunted Fort up there (name escapes me at the moment but recently investigated by TAPS).

Tom

tom4bren
03/24/2008, 09:26 AM
Friday afternoon as I was gassing up for the trip, a guy walked up & asked if my Proton was a pimped out Amigo. I almost decked him:)

While in Essington PA, gassing up again (Yup - gas mileage that bad) a guy pulled up to the pump next to me & said that he was glad I had stopped. His son (10 or 11 years old) was yelling at him to chase me down to find out what it was.

Other than that it was just a matter of seeing people walking around it and checking it out each time I parked & walked away.

Sorry we couldn't meet up this trip Eric. See you at Luray in a few weeks tho. Wifey is interested in visiting Fort Mifflin (SP?) this summer as well.

Tom

Chopper
03/24/2008, 10:23 AM
Friday afternoon as I was gassing up for the trip, a guy walked up & asked if my Proton was a pimped out Amigo. I almost decked him:)

While in Essington PA, gassing up again (Yup - gas mileage that bad) a guy pulled up to the pump next to me & said that he was glad I had stopped. His son (10 or 11 years old) was yelling at him to chase me down to find out what it was.

Other than that it was just a matter of seeing people walking around it and checking it out each time I parked & walked away.

Sorry we couldn't meet up this trip Eric. See you at Luray in a few weeks tho. Wifey is interested in visiting Fort Mifflin (SP?) this summer as well.

TomUnless you've an interest in walking around an old fort, don't expect much...your basic "ghost walk" I took the kids there a couple of times when they were young. The Mutter museum (don't know where the umlaut is) of medical anomalies, is real entertainment....no imagination needed! Extraordinary collection of "pickled punks" (fetus in alcohol) Cyclops baby, Two headed baby, abnormal skeletons, tumors, lesions, and my personal favorite, an 18in. skeleton...one head, two bodies... amazing stuff

etlsport
03/24/2008, 11:54 AM
yea the mutter museum is pretty awesome, i havent been there in like 4 years.. fort mifflin.. i think thats right near the airport right? i got shooed away from a fort right near the airport last year.. they didnt appreciate me doing donuts in the big mud puddle in front of their fence:)

tom4bren
03/24/2008, 12:06 PM
"Unless you've an interest in walking around an old fort, don't expect much"

Thanks Chopper - we'll keep that in mind but prolly go anyway. Between the ghostie thing & the history thing ... we'll give it a shot. I think they've been doing a slow but steady renovation for the past few years. Already done the Mutter Museum a couple of times - always entertaining knowing how close I came to looking like a fish.

Eric - Yup, over by the airport (I think). You shoulda told them you were digging them a new mote.

nfpgasmask
04/04/2008, 11:29 AM
w00t! Today I was filling up my tank next to a guy who was filling up his H2. He made a point to come over and ask me about the VX. Said he really liked my roof rack and the general look of the truck. He also said he was in the automotive biz and has never seen one. We chatted for a minute and ended with, "Man, I love my VehiCROSS, but $58.02 to fill up! This is killing me!". His reply, "Try $122! :)"

Bart

D-19
04/04/2008, 12:17 PM
A little while ago, i was checking out a black 71 Charger, when i looked at the driver, he was checking out my VX! LOL

VehiGAZ
04/04/2008, 01:13 PM
I had a gas station encounter just last weekend (I get people asking about or acknowledging the VX once a month or so). The guy at the pump next to me asked what it was, so I went through the whole explanation for him. He really, really liked it! Myself, I got a big kick out of his F-250 with a Chevy sticker on the back window and a Calvin-peeing-on-Ford sticker on the tailgate. I got a big laugh out of it and asked what kidn of statement he was trying to make there. He replied, "Rednecks are idiots." :-)

kodiak
04/04/2008, 01:34 PM
I get the biggest response from fast food drive up windows cashers, “This is the coolest car I have every seen.” “Where can I get one of those?” “Duuuude! You must really hookup.” My favorite is when they don’t say anything and just zone out for a bit like my VX was a striper or something. :p

mrtew
04/04/2008, 03:06 PM
Another funny thing that happens a lot when I cross the Canadian border everyday (where they don't have VX's) is the border guards will slip in questions about it. It'll be, "Where do you live, what kind of car is that, where are you going, when's it coming out, how long have you been out of the country, what year is it, purpose of your visit, how much did it cost. It's so funny because they ask everything in the same tone so that nobody would even notice them veering off the subject at hand unless they were really paying attention. It's happened a LOT of times in the same way.

kodiak
04/04/2008, 03:55 PM
I seem to get more of a response when I put on my $150 15in beater tires. http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/MyVX003.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9470) I Love junk yards.

nfpgasmask
04/04/2008, 04:05 PM
I seem to get more of a response when I put on my $150 15in beater tires. http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/MyVX003.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9470) I Love junk yards.

Dude, I am liking your Proton. Those rims look good with the Prot.....

Bart

Gussie2000
04/04/2008, 04:12 PM
Today as usuall i had one of those paratransit drivers waving at me just to ask me where's a isuzu dealer so he can have a test drive in one "OF THOSE SUV " or what ever is that.

When i told him that my "WHATEVER IS THAT" is an 1999 isuzu vehicross he said : Are you kidding ? that looks damn new & the design is off the hook & very updated.

When he look at the interior & see the recaro seats he didn't believe it came with it as OEM seats.

He ask me : So is hard to find one of those ? because i never saw one before

I told him Well,it could be hard as finding a dollar bill over the floor :p

He : Damn,i never found a dollar bill over the floor :(

However i give him our web site board info so he can take a look at ;)

CrnCnn
04/04/2008, 04:20 PM
When Cari and I were house sitting we came up on a really nice Toyota pick up and as I was saying that was nice to Cari we both looked at the drive and could clearly see him say to his buddies "what the F*$% is that."

No one comes up to me when I am alone. I get lots of looks but not much else. I think the Silver just blends a little too much.

Gussie2000
04/04/2008, 04:24 PM
Another funny thing that happens a lot when I cross the Canadian border everyday (where they don't have VX's) is the border guards will slip in questions about it. It'll be, "Where do you live, what kind of car is that, where are you going, when's it coming out, how long have you been out of the country, what year is it, purpose of your visit, how much did it cost. It's so funny because they ask everything in the same tone so that nobody would even notice them veering off the subject at hand unless they were really paying attention. It's happened a LOT of times in the same way.

Jajajajajaja that's very funny tough. :)

Y33TREKker
04/04/2008, 04:30 PM
When i told him that my "WHATEVER IS THAT" is an 1999 isuzu vehicross he said : Are you kidding ? that looks damn new & the design is off the hook & very updated.

That's usually the response I get too. As a matter of fact, I try to make it a point to say that my VX is a 2001 just to watch the reaction. :bwgy:

Gussie2000
04/04/2008, 04:31 PM
When Cari and I were house sitting we came up on a really nice Toyota pick up and as I was saying that was nice to Cari we both looked at the drive and could clearly see him say to his buddies "what the F*$% is that."

No one comes up to me when I am alone. I get lots of looks but not much else. I think the Silver just blends a little too much.

Yeah,you right about the silver color.

That's why i've being wondering about painting in metallic black or go much further.................. bright copper or rainbow . :rolleyes:

What do you think'bout that ?

CrnCnn
04/04/2008, 04:35 PM

That's why i've being wondering about painting in metallic black or go much further.................. bright copper or rainbow . :rolleyes:

Well i think you would have the one and ONLY rainbow color VX

nfpgasmask
04/04/2008, 04:39 PM
Well, depending on your orientation, you might give the wrong impression with a rainbow colored VX. But, if that is the idea, then go for it!

;) Bart

Chopper
04/04/2008, 05:01 PM
Rainbow away.....have at it

Gussie2000
04/04/2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah,i know what you mean,but since is manny cars in those colors i was drawing in my mind how it should look.

But i more inclined to the black metallic & the copper colors,have the claddings & hood insert in acrillic;shouldn't look to bad eh ! :rolleyes:

Gussie2000
04/04/2008, 05:17 PM
A little while ago, i was checking out a black 71 Charger, when i looked at the driver, he was checking out my VX! LOL

Oh yeah !
That's really funny,you guys shall just switch keys & drive off jajajajajaja :p

kodiak
04/04/2008, 07:00 PM
Dude, I am liking your Proton. Those rims look good with the Prot.....

Bart

Those rims barley fit ¼ in to spare, but those 30x9.5 really smooth out the bumps. Pick and pull is my friend.

Ldub
04/04/2008, 07:07 PM
My favorite is when they don’t say anything and just zone out for a bit like my VX was a striper or something. :p

I'm sorry, but that's the normal state of consciousness at the drive thru...:rolleyesg

Chopper
04/05/2008, 04:35 AM
” My favorite is when they don’t say anything and just zone out for a bit like my VX was a striper or something. :pDoesn't everyone like young nurses??

Chopper
04/05/2008, 04:49 AM
I've had more comments in the month since I put on the fat Nitto 404s, than in the last three years combined. Filling the wheel wells really changed the character...instead of looking like it's running around on its tippy-toes, it now looks planted...a Bulldog stance. Most have been Jeep guys, one was a kid in an old Rodeo...he actually did a U-turn and followed me to the shop, to see what it is. Just proves, sometimes it's the little things that change everything

Ldub
04/05/2008, 06:17 AM
I've had more comments in the month since I put on the fat Nitto 404s, than in the last three years combined. Filling the wheel wells really changed the character...instead of looking like it's running around on its tippy-toes, it now looks planted...a Bulldog stance. Most have been Jeep guys, one was a kid in an old Rodeo...he actually did a U-turn and followed me to the shop, to see what it is. Just proves, sometimes it's the little things that change everything

I agree...didn't have many comments all winter, put the Nittos on & that same evening a couple in a Jeep rolled up & asked: "what IS that thing?"

Must be a Nitto thing.:rolleyesg

mrtew
04/05/2008, 01:48 PM
I agree...didn't have many comments all winter, put the Nittos on & that same evening a couple in a Jeep rolled up & asked: "what IS that thing?"

Must be a Nitto thing.:rolleyesg

Then that's explains why I get it constantly. I've had big Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine for three years now. I can see Jeep guys trying not to look because they know I'll see the jealousy in their eyes! Check them out and check out my new Clearz marker lights and mixed StainlessSteel and Titanium grill badge! http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10769&cat=515

etlsport
04/10/2008, 11:21 AM
thought i would share this funny little bit..

driving home from work yesterday, just cruising at a normal speed and this blue minivan comes up on my rear quarter and hangs there for a bit, i was getting annoyed by it so i took off +15-20mph and left them behind.. few miles down the road hit a traffic light, blue van pulls up next to me, guy motions to roll down the window, so i do, he says "hey man what is that thing? its cool!" I tell him Isuzu VehiCROSS.. his wife in the passenger seat smacks his arm and screams.. "see i TOLD you it was an ISUZU!" then starts telling me how he was like "no no it cant be an isuzu" but that she knew it was an Isuzu even though there was no badging...... then the normal "is that a new model?", "no its just limited production" conversation.. funny stuff though ;Db;

Navigator
04/10/2008, 12:19 PM
I stiil get people asking me things like:

o What is it?
o Is it a Hybrid?
o Where can I get one?
o Isn't that the new 2008 __________?

More so in the spring, but it never really stops. The VX is that unique :smilewink

JHarris1385
04/10/2008, 12:38 PM
I would say I never go more than three days without someone asking me something about it..............

I get the "Is that a 2009" question alot.
Most unique: "Man that thing looks like it made for scube-diving or going completely underwater - does it?"
Another good one: "Wow I have a lot of respect for guys like you. I cant belive how you can bike and swim all those miles in one day" - Referring to the IronMan decals.

WormGod
04/11/2008, 07:38 AM
Got a good one for ya. I got home around 9pm last night from work, and my neighbor came walking across the lawn with another older guy. I was driving the Rex with the VX in the garage. I was getting my backpack out of my car when my neighbor said "Hey Gary, I want you to meet my dad." So we have some small talk for about 2 minutes, mostly about how his dad is in town for a few days staying with him. Eventually, my neighbor says "I was telling my dad about your truck. You mind showing it to him? Words can't explain it."

So I open the garage door and back the truck out. His dad's first words were "Oh ya, the VehiCROSS. These things are wild. I have a neighbor down in Georgia that has a tricked out one but it looks nowhere as cool as yours. I guess keeping it in a garage helps."

More blah blah blah car talk and 800 loops around the VX before I had to call it a night so I could actually get some dinner before I passed out on the couch, heh.

Never gets old.

tom4bren
04/11/2008, 08:16 AM
WG,

That's even better than the Power Walker in my neighborhood that finally stopped by the other day & asked if it was some kind of kit & wanted to know what frame I started with.

nfpgasmask
04/11/2008, 08:22 AM
WG,

That's even better than the Power Walker in my neighborhood that finally stopped by the other day & asked if it was some kind of kit & wanted to know what frame I started with.

I love power walkers. There is this middle-aged lady in my new neighborhood I see jammin down the sidewalk every other day. I don't care if it is good exercise, it just looks so damn rediculous, I bust up everytime I see her! But hey, good for her for getting out and moving!

:) Bart

CrnCnn
04/11/2008, 08:54 AM
I love power walkers. There is this middle-aged lady in my new neighborhood I see jammin down the sidewalk every other day. I don't care if it is good exercise, it just looks so damn rediculous, I bust up everytime I see her! But hey, good for her for getting out and moving!

:) Bart

yeah I point and laugh. then look at my belly and walk away.

etlsport
04/11/2008, 10:14 AM
WG,

tom i will admit.. your VX does look like a body that was stuck on another chassis;Db;

geshaw30
04/11/2008, 10:26 AM

Too late. As with most original ideas around these parts... rainbow has already been done.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3187

mrtew
04/11/2008, 06:08 PM
That's BOTH bright copper AND rainbow alright!

Chopper
04/12/2008, 03:08 PM
good for advertizing maybe......but ooooooooooo ugly.

tom4bren
04/14/2008, 09:56 AM
"tom i will admit.. your VX does look like a body that was stuck on another chassis"

Rekin we'll see who laughs last next weekend.:)

Ldub
04/18/2008, 07:25 PM
Had a CLASSIC VX moment this afternoon...came out of the liquid store & was walking towards Miss Suzy, when I noticed a Jeep parked about 15 feet away.
The lady passenger was standing outside her door, snappin' Kodaks...:razzgray:

As I got within earshot, I yelled "those (pics) usually cost a buck apiece"...:naughty:

As her face turned beet red, & her hooshband tried to disappear into the upholstry, I yelled "BUS-TED"...:rolleyesg

I put my clinky purchaces (ya got some comin' Todd, but not what you think...:naughty:) in the ride & didn't look back...:cool:

Ldub
04/22/2008, 09:24 PM
Had another "VX moment" today...a pretty lady in a new chrysler/dodge something or other, pulled up beside me & blocked traffic in her lane, (I was stopped in the L turn lane) motioning me to roll down the window.
She said: "That's the coolest truck I've ever seen!...AWESOME!"...:thumbup:

Thank You Ma'am, & right back at cha'...nice "whateveritis".:smilewink

Ldub
04/23/2008, 03:42 PM
OK...two "VX moments" in two days...:rolleyesg
Today I was coming to the top of an off ramp, the usual guy with the cardboard sign "down on my luck, anything will help" was in residence.
Being first in line put me right next to him...as I slowed to a stop, his eyes got REAL BIG, & he just stood there, dumbfounded.
After a couple seconds, he smiled & did the universal sign for "roll down your window".
When I did, he said:
"What the @#$%^ IS that thing man...when you came up the ramp, it freaked me out!"
I told him it was a 99 VehiCROSS & he just stared in disbelief, then walked closer, shook my hand, & said: "WOW, that sure is cool."

He was so discombobulated that he forgot to ask for change.:cool:

snowtrooper1966
04/23/2008, 05:13 PM
Had three tittering schoolgirs pass in fron of the Dragon the other day, "Woa! Like, what is that thing!" "That thing is sick?"
Now if I was only still in high school.......
James

VehiGAZ
04/23/2008, 07:08 PM
Went to a Cirque du Soleil show in Hartford this weekend. It was VERY slow-going gettingout of the parking lot, and so I had many people walk by with all sorts of reactions. My favorite was two guys who walked in front of the truck, then each one turned around about 4 times to sneak some more peaks at it.

This being Connecticut, no one actually tried to ask me about it, even though the windows were wide open. Good fences make good neighbors in this part of the country...

Ldub
04/24/2008, 04:53 PM
Ok...this is getting ridiculos.

Three for three ( 3 days in a row with VX moments)...:rolleyesg

Two young guys in a Pontiac of some sort practically orbited me, taking phone pics from all angles.
Finally pulled up next to me at a light & asked the usual questions.

Gussie2000
04/24/2008, 06:29 PM
Ok...this is getting ridiculos.

Three for three ( 3 days in a row with VX moments)...:rolleyesg

Two young guys in a Pontiac of some sort practically orbited me, taking phone pics from all angles.
Finally pulled up next to me at a light & asked the usual questions.

Oh yeah i know what you mean tough.

I had two today,but the funny one were at best buy,security ask me to park the VX in front of the store,called the manager assistance & had mutiple pics while shoping for new printer,it wasn't so bad tough,had good discount for the printer + cartridges. ;)

I guess owning a VX has their advantedges :p

vxDAKINECHICvx
04/24/2008, 09:07 PM
I get these two.....

1. Aww, that is SUCH a cute car! :eek:

2. So, is that a suzuki ? or that car that has the same ribs as the vx...(at a loss as to what its called at the moment). See! It irritates me so much I have taken it out of my mind!

......... at any rate, they both suck!

Bill Brown
04/27/2008, 10:27 AM
I haven't seen another VX in this neck of the woods (San Joaquin Valley, California) in 3-4 years. Folks frequently stop to take a closer look, occasionally ask questions, etc. Yesterday, saw a Jeep slowly drive a loop around my VX in the parking lot of a Target store.

mrtew
04/27/2008, 04:52 PM
We went to the GMC/Saturn dealer here in Ontario to look at the new Saturn Vue Redline and we were swarmed by salesmen that didn't care at all about selling us a car, they just wanted to see the VX. They used to be the Isuzu dealer and were still bitter and frustrated that then never got the VX there and the older ones were telling the new ones all about it etc. The were begging me to bring it back if I ever decided to trade it in as I left.

VehiGAZ
05/08/2008, 06:30 PM
Another one tonight - the funny thing is that it was almost the exact scenario I described in the letter to Car & Driver...

Pull into the grocery store, park, and get out. An old guy walking past is all smiles and checkign the VX and asks if it's a four or a six (an odd question considering the sound of my Flowmaster exhaust). I tell him it's a supercharged six, and he likes that plenty. "Nice! Really neat truck!" he replies. And as we're walking to the entrance, I realize he thinks it's new. "Want to know something else you'll find interesting?" He turns and says, "Yeah, what's that?"

"It's a 1999."

"You've got to be kidding me!" he finally says after forcing the improbable information through his head. "Wow, you've taken great care of that thing!"

Everyone was smiling, especially my wife, who had just read the C&D letter before we left for the supermarket.

snowtrooper1966
05/22/2008, 12:10 PM
I caught two guys trying not to look this morning as they were getting into the FJ they were driving.
Best,
James

etlsport
05/22/2008, 12:27 PM
I caught two guys trying not to look this morning as they were getting into the FJ they were driving.
Best,
James

thats my favorite! i was behind a tahoe and the guys in it were turned almost all the way around trying to snap pictures.. so being the arrogant #%$^ that i am.. i went around and hung my rear bumper right infront of their front bumper .. as i drove past they were in the seats looking straight forward.. as soon as i passed them the camera came back out!

So-CalVX
05/22/2008, 12:30 PM
My proton has tinted door windows (illegal in Cali) and I roll around half open all the time. (And with no seatbelt) and I get cops looking at me and giving me thumbs up and stuff. I know they see the tint and me with out my belt, but I don't get pulled over in the bee.
does anyone else get the same thing?
(I'm knocking on wood as I type this BTW.) LOL

snowtrooper1966
05/22/2008, 01:30 PM
I actually got pulled over the other day while driving the GF's car for speeding on the freeway. The Highway patrol strolled up, asked how fast I thought I was going. I replied within 5 mph of what his radar told him. He then asked if I needed a ticket or if a warning would suffice. I said warning, please. He looked down and pointed to an Iron maiden CD I had on the passanger seat and asked if I was listening to that while I was flying down the road, to which I replied affirmative!
So I am not sure if it was my honesty about the speed (85mph) or the maiden CD that got me the warining.
First time for everthing, I guess....
James

alanbradley
05/25/2008, 01:18 AM
I've found people's conversation starter is:- "So, you don't see many of those around..."

As well as the neck-craning, swivelling in the passenger seat, etc. that goes on. I swear one bloke in a French supermarket car park's head was going to fall off if he'd turned it any further!

A

johnnyapollo
05/25/2008, 04:48 AM
I came out of the theater and noticed two big black dudes (dressed in hip-hop fashion, they were 300+ lbs each and over 6' tall) walking around the VX and looking at it - seems they had just parked next to me in a tricked out black FX45 (24" rims, blacked out windows, etc). In typical fashion, I hit the auto-start - they jumped back and started looking around and I could almost hear what they were saying, real excited - note the compustar has a 6000' range so I was still really far from them so they weren't sure what was going on. They kept looking in the windows and I got worried that maybe I shoudln't have hit the autostart (thought they were going to steal it for a second but that's just general paranoia as the VX has a cut-off switch if someone gets in it without the key), but as I walked up they met me a few feet way and started asking me a bunch of questions about the VX - they were actually really nice if a bit stoned. Telling them about what kind of gas mileage I got didn't phase them a bit, seems the FX got worse (which didn't surprise me either with the V8 in those, plus they also had to use premium - we bonded). Two things stood out - when I told them it was a 2001 I got a "sheeee***it" of incredulity - they thought it was a new model - I convinced them by showing them the cracked center console. The other thing was how similar the VX looked like their FX - when I told them the same lead designer was involved it all made sense to them - I told them my VX was their FX's "grandpappa" and they nodded their heads knowingly. When I said my farewell they watched me all the way to the exit - I got to wondering if they made their movie.

-- John

VCross007
05/25/2008, 09:29 AM
i recently went down to mexico to this resort there. While i was right inside the lobby i saw people walking out to my car crowding around it, then the receptionist asked me what it was, if it was new or coming out. At least once a day or every other day someone either says it's a hot truck or asks me what it is and whatnot.

Pepino
05/25/2008, 11:08 AM
My proton has tinted door windows (illegal in Cali) and I roll around half open all the time. (And with no seatbelt) and I get cops looking at me and giving me thumbs up and stuff. I know they see the tint and me with out my belt, but I don't get pulled over in the bee.
does anyone else get the same thing?
(I'm knocking on wood as I type this BTW.) LOL

ya my foxfire has tinted windows all the way around 15% illegal too here in wisconsin by far, the legal limit is 30% and got black healdights and taillights and cops never care they get to distracted trying to find out what car it is

So-CalVX
05/25/2008, 12:55 PM
i got a new job at Abercrombie & Fitch in the mall down the street here and i have pics of my Bee in my phone. so im at work after the mall closes and im browsin youtube on my phone and just as i tap out and go into my pictures some of my coworkers gather round and look over my shoulder... make this short, they all stop me on the pic of my VX off road in Balanger.
they're askin the typical questions and i'm answering as quick as i could. then we're walkin out and one of the guys say's that's very californian. ok? and one of the girls says it suits me or she pictures me in it, like i wouldn't look right in something else i guess. sounds good to me. i don't plan on anything else.

just thought id post this

along with this pick of the first time i saw a VX in person.... ;D
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/isuzu.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11337)

mrlarrys
05/25/2008, 02:30 PM
Yesterday a guy told me it looked like a tonka truck on steroids. I just stared at him ,then he asked if I just got it. I told him that it is a 2008 Isuzu and he could get one at the Isuzu dealership. Thats my usual reply and most of the comments come after I wash my vehicross.

snowtrooper1966
05/25/2008, 03:08 PM
Yesterday a guy told me it looked like a tonka truck on steroids. I just stared at him ,then he asked if I just got it. I told him that it is a 2008 Isuzu and he could get one at the Isuzu dealership. Thats my usual reply and most of the comments come after I wash my vehicross.

You are a bad person;)
First I can see someone searching for the ever dwindling dealership, then possibly finding one and asking for the VX...
Classic!
Keep up the good work!
Best,

kodiak
05/25/2008, 07:34 PM
I need to take the “Handling by Lotus” emblem off my VX. Ever sins I put it on the groups of people gathering around my VX has stopped. I see people walk up and right when they see Lotus they walk away.:p

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/26/2008, 05:54 AM
plus they also had to use premium - we bonded).

I've had the same mentality about using premium 'cause of the SC..but, recently on my trip to Moab some of the service stations I came across didn't have a very high octane on their version of premium (I seem to remember 89 as the highest at a Texaco I stopped at) and when forced to run it...my VX not only ran fine but seemed to get noticably better mpg. I started running regular afterwards except for the mountain ranges. I seemed to need gas before hitting the mountains and would fill up with premium then since boost would be pretty continuous. In short, I plan on running regular to mid-grade from now on unless I plan on using alot of boost!

*side note---I did see 2 service stations in the US with mid-grade gas that was cheaper than regular! One was a BP in Omaha, Nebraska.

I just finished a trip from my home in PA to Wheeling, WV (like 365 miles) and I still have 1/8 tank of "regular" gas left. I can't remember ever getting 365 miles out of a "whole" tank of gas when I ran premium!!!

When I was meeting up with Gill & Cece in Chicago I stopped at a BP station and the attendent came out drooling over my VX and said he never seen one before and assumed it was new....along pulled up Gill & Cece to top off their tanks and I looked at him and said "What do you mean...they're all over the place...there's two other ones right over there!" He looked dumbfounded..lol.

mrtew
05/26/2008, 06:46 AM
I didn't even know we were supposed to use premium. I've been running on normal for years. Like 8 years. I should spend an extra $2 and see if I notice a difference. With gas as high priced as it is, the additional relative charge for the high octane is almost nothing.

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/26/2008, 06:54 AM
I didn't even know we were supposed to use premium. I've been running on normal for years. Like 8 years. I should spend an extra $2 and see if I notice a difference. With gas as high priced as it is, the additional relative charge for the high octane is almost nothing.

you're supposed to run premium if you have the supercharger...sorry if I didn't post that better.

mdwyer
05/26/2008, 01:06 PM
..but, recently on my trip to Moab some of the service stations I came across didn't have a very high octane on their version of premium (I seem to remember 89 as the highest at a Texaco I stopped at) and when forced to run it...my VX not only ran fine but seemed to get noticably better mpg.

There's something about altitude that lowers the minimum octane rating you need. Around Colorado (which goes from 3,313ft to 14,440ft), all the pumps are 82, 85 and 91 octane. I understand the rest of the US usually sees 93 octane at the high point.

All my cars request 85, and I give it to them, even though it sounds like 82 would be sufficient up here. 'Course the ability to use cheaper gas comes at a cost. NA engines lose a lot of horsepower. :(

So-CalVX
05/26/2008, 10:50 PM
<I stopped at a BP station and the attendent came out drooling over my VX and said he never seen one before and assumed it was new....along pulled up Gill & Cece to top off their tanks and I looked at him and said "What do you mean...they're all over the place...there's two other ones right over there!" He looked dumbfounded..LOL.>

That's great. I woulda loved to have seen that. Just too much.
:bwgr:

mrtew
12/10/2008, 06:23 PM
I was being questioned at the border today and the guard wanted to look in the back to see if I was smuggling and he asked me what kind of truck I was driving and I told him an Isuzu VehiCROSS and then he asked the only question that he really needed an answer to but couldn't quite put into words. He said, "Is it a normal vehicle?". I have no idea what he really meant by the question but I enthusiastically denied that it was and he let me go! It's always something when you drive a VX.

Gussie2000
12/10/2008, 07:35 PM
I was being questioned at the border today and the guard wanted to look in the back to see if I was smuggling and he asked me what kind of truck I was driving and I told him an Isuzu VehiCROSS and then he asked the only question that he really needed an answer to but couldn't quite put into words. He said, "Is it a normal vehicle?". I have no idea what he really meant by the question but I enthusiastically denied that it was and he let me go! It's always something when you drive a VX.

Last week my brother-in-law to be drove my VX to get some beers & undercovers pulled him asking question about the VX.

I laugh 'till i pissed my self because he told me that one of the cops came out asking the common question :

Sr,what's this ?

It's a isuzu,officer.

Where it comes from ?

Well,is from japan

Another officer came foward & say : I told you,got to be a japanese,looks to freacking cool :cool:

My brother-in-law told me: "Gustavo, i ain't driving that again,i knew it boost attention,it does & very fast,i went just 6 blocks away & looks what happens

Ldub
12/11/2008, 06:26 AM
Last week my brother-in-law to be drove my VX to get some beers & undercovers pulled him asking question about the VX.

I laugh 'till i pissed my self because he told me that one of the cops came out asking the common question :

Sr,what's this ?

It's a isuzu,officer.

Where it comes from ?

Well,is from japan

Another officer came foward & say : I told you,got to be a japanese,looks to freacking cool :cool:

My brother-in-law told me: "Gustavo, i ain't driving that again,i knew it boost attention,it does & very fast,i went just 6 blocks away & looks what happens

Too funny...back in the day, that would have made a great TV ad, with the message at the end in big bold letters...

VehiCROSS...not your brother in laws SUV

VCAMILO
12/11/2008, 08:28 AM
I got thums up 2 days ago on the highway. ;)

Gussie2000
12/11/2008, 04:50 PM
Too funny...back in the day, that would have made a great TV ad, with the message at the end in big bold letters...

VehiCROSS...not your brother in laws SUV

Jajajaja yeah you right ! :)

I park the VX in the parkway facing the street & sometimes i see people who drive or walk by stearing at it from inside the house.

Once an driver from the city's MTA bus actually step by chatting with a passenger about it

Take care Ldub

Ldub
12/12/2008, 05:45 AM
Sometimes when I go to lunch, I like to park where I can see Suzy from inside the resturaunt (who am I kidding...Mc Fatburger..:rolleyesg) & watch the gawkers while I eat...it can be VERY entertaining.:smilewink

It's gotten to a point where I can read their lips when they ask themselves the most common question...whattinnahell IS that thing???

VehiGAZ
12/12/2008, 06:55 AM
Sometimes when I go to lunch, I like to park where I can see Suzy from inside the resturaunt (who am I kidding...Mc Fatburger..:rolleyesg) & watch the gawkers while I eat...it can be VERY entertaining.:smilewink

Happened to me yesterday - needed a quick lunch, so my buddy and I ran up to BK just up the street from work. People inside and outside were scoping out the VX!

I almost think people are getting more fascinated with it as the years go by...

etlsport
12/12/2008, 06:57 AM
haha dub.. i do that too.. my girlfriend and some of my best friends know that when we go into a place where we can seat our selves.. we always take the view of the VX... i do it more to keep an eye on my baby so nobody hits it with a door or anything.. but it is funny to see the gawkers..

had a couple guys in a bmw 5 series gawk as they passed me on the highway yesterday (normally i dont let people pass me.. but it was pouring down rain.. and i was doing 70 as it was.. i figured i would let them go)

Y33TREKker
12/12/2008, 07:02 AM
I almost think people are getting more fascinated with it as the years go by...

Same here. And it still seems to surprise people the most when I get to the part about it being a 2001.

Bill Brown
12/12/2008, 07:09 AM
Same here. And it still seems to surprise people the most when I get to the part about it being a 2001.Now and then I get asked if my '99 is a newly released model.

mrtew
12/12/2008, 09:24 AM
I went to what used to be the Isuzu dealer here in Canada today for a new EGR valve and they couldn't believe their eyes. They always heard of it but everyone that worked in the whole dealership and service dept came to the garage to marvel at the VX's curves. They were treating it like such a celebrity that I almost thought the repair was going to be free.

CrnCnn
12/12/2008, 04:19 PM
Not much of the typical comment but today a guy at work who is a huge Wrangler fanatic said that the Vehicross is like the Wrangler of Isuzus.

Ldub
12/12/2008, 04:31 PM
Not much of the typical comment but today a guy at work who is a huge Wrangler fanatic said that the Vehicross is like the Wrangler of Isuzus.

I'd call that pretty high praise, coming from a "huge Wrangler fanatic"...:thumbup:

VehiGAZ
12/12/2008, 05:14 PM
Same here. And it still seems to surprise people the most when I get to the part about it being a 2001.

Heheheh - I get to tell them it's a '99 - a 28.57% greater effect! :)

Seriously - next year it will be officially 10 years old. Wow. That is going to make people freak out.

Thmstec
12/13/2008, 02:04 AM
Last night I pulled into a Waffle House around midnight and there was a mazda3 full of girls who were gawking/giggling/pointing. Shame they were half-way out of the parking lot before I noticed that they were kinda cute :rolleyes:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the tail I have on my VX?
http://i35.tinypic.com/23tqqna.jpg

Gussie2000
12/13/2008, 07:19 AM
Last night I pulled into a Waffle House around midnight and there was a mazda3 full of girls who were gawking/giggling/pointing. Shame they were half-way out of the parking lot before I noticed that they were kinda cute :rolleyes:

Hahahahaha funny though.

Watch out for any dogs chasing you down the street :p

alanbradley
12/14/2008, 04:12 AM
I don't think I've told you guys this one:-

I had parked particularly "creatively" in Cardiff one evening whilst looking at flats to rent for work. I was waiting for the letting agent a few metres from the VX and was watching the reactions of bystanders. In guy on a mountain bike did two laps trying to work out what it was and a big black guy came across saying "nice car man, nice car - good to see something different!" which i took as a huge compliment :bwgy:

Oh yeah, I'm currently waiting on a new windscreen arriving from Japan but to make sure they were going to order up the right thing I had to go to the Auto Windscreens depot (again in Cardiff - I've been spending a LOAD of time there...) whilst they worked out if it could be from something else (no such luck :( ). "Yeah yeah, bring it into the workshop", they say.

In I drive, with the window down (what's the point in it making all the noise if you can't enjoy it in a confined space occasionally!) and all I hear is "What the hell is that?" and the response from one of the other guys, "That's one hell of a car, that's what that is!"

Stuff like that make it worth the frustration when you have silly things go wrong...

A

Brian Drinks
12/16/2008, 09:50 PM
Hay just about everywere i go people try to figure out what it is,be4 they say is cute what is it. I was at auto zone just the otherday when this lady wait for me to come out to ask me what was it and if it was a 2k9,she was surprise when i said it was a 99,she said she never seen one b4.She like mine better than her 2k9 suzuki or whatever it was.

johnnyapollo
12/17/2008, 04:25 AM
I still constantly get asked about it - almost to the point of being obnoxious. Most recently we had a few guys from our Nebraska office in town and they swarmed all over my proton. When I told our CEO about the vid showing a VX pulling a stuck FJCruiser he didn't believe me (he's got an FJ) - then I showed him the vid and he shut up about it. Funny.

-- John

VehiGAZ
12/17/2008, 08:30 AM
the vid showing a VX pulling a stuck FJCruiser

Where is this video?!?! I have someone here at work that I'd like to show it to...

CrnCnn
12/18/2008, 08:08 PM

I saw this and thought of you....
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/rs003.jpg

snowtrooper1966
01/01/2009, 05:50 PM
Just to prove, again, how timeless the design on the Dragon is:
Had a guy waiting for me outside the store today asking if the VX was a 2009 model year vehicle....:bgwg:
And that was with all the recent grime from driving on slushy/melty/snowy roads!
Best,

Waderizer
01/02/2009, 06:56 PM
Here in Regina, Sask, Canada, a city of 200,000. We have 4 VX's That I know of, I drive mine all the time. In the Burger King drive through, I had this fello come running up jumping around like he was nuts, bobing and weaving, came around to the drivers side, freaking out. "What is that?" Two days later a guy and his kid, chased me 8 Blocks till I stopped at a friends, he said "im a car nut, and that car is wild! again What is it?" and Last week a guy waved me over excited, cause he was looking for one on EBay, and was considering bidding, but wanted to see one up close, and there I was! Wonder if he bought it?

short answer to your question, here it happens all the time...

Wonder how many Ironman edition VX's are in Canada?

Wade

pbkid
01/02/2009, 08:05 PM
hmmm, i almost never get that anymore lol....

could it be because of the dented up fender???

or do i need to clean it and put flashy rims on it???

mrtew
01/02/2009, 08:29 PM
Being in Canada really helps! Not only have they not seen the VX hardly EVER here, but they seem like they're more into cars. When I drive to Toronto I see almost everyone on the freeway checking it out the whole way. Like even old ladies and stuff. People even take pictures! In Detroit people are so into their phone-calls they don't even notice the road, let alone other cars.

CrnCnn
01/02/2009, 11:14 PM
Its funny to me how many people in FJ's check it out and are always trying to see what it is, especially while driving down the road.

etlsport
01/03/2009, 06:58 AM
i notice when i go to touristy spots i get it even more.. especially at the beach.. seems that everytime i am within like 15 miles of the beach i get a stare on every block.. i think that when people are away from home/out of their element they are looking for new and different things already so the VX stands out even more

Gussie2000
01/03/2009, 08:33 AM
i notice when i go to touristy spots i get it even more.. especially at the beach.. seems that everytime i am within like 15 miles of the beach i get a stare on every block.. i think that when people are away from home/out of their element they are looking for new and different things already so the VX stands out even more

Last year i drove my brother-in-law to a nissan dealership to have his almost new 2006 pathfinder delivered & as soon i pulled into the lot all the potencial buyers went after the VX standing right next to 2008 murano that was recently purchased,many of them began to ask the sales men if that is the new isuzu,the sales men were like "WHAT NEW ISUZU ? WE HAVE NO ISUZU HERE " yes the new isuzu parked right along the new murano the customers answered.

When the sales men went out side & saw the VX they were like "WOW ! WTH IS THAT ? Because my VX didn't had the vehicross badges they were wondering & asking who's the owner.

The dealership's manager which for my surprise was a beautyfull young lady named cynthia along with few customers came asking me questions,i became a sales man,very funny though sharing all the info with them & the VX history :) My brother-in-law was like : Here you go .......again :p

Many of them was surprised when they knew that our VX won the autralian cross country rally & the paris-to-dakar rally.

My brother-in-law overheard a girl asking his boyfriend,"honey,do you really want to have that ugly murano (LOL),look at that one silver truck (VX) with the funny looking head lights,i love it.

The manager took few pics with her cell few minutes before i drove off the lot & wisper to me " hey,i'll love to get one of those" of course my first toughts were VEHICROSS.INFO.check us out i told her "got you,thanks" she added.

One thing for sure no matter how old our VX's goes down the road it'll keep amazing many people for years to come.

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/08/2009, 12:05 AM
Too funny....I was waiting for a break in traffic to pull out of a Burger King when a big, red firetruck goes by (returning to fire department) and I happened to glance at the crew compartment (windows tinted but you could see silhouettes of firemen) and all the firehats collectively turned and drew a bead on my VX as the firetruck drove by! made me chuckle out loud. :laughg:

Ldub
01/08/2009, 12:56 AM
I was filling fuel last night, when an older, stalkerish looking guy, pulled up at the next pump. He just sat there & stared, he finally rolled down his passenger side window & asked the usual questions. After he had some answers, he just drove away, didn't buy gas.
As an aside, he had a huge mound of butts in his ashtray, easily 6" tall, adding to his "stalkerish" persona.
Went inside to pay & a guy stopped me at the door & asked the usual Q's.
At the checkout counter, all three cashiers had questions of their own.

I think that's a new record for Suzy, five interested parties @ one stop.

johnnyapollo
01/08/2009, 04:06 AM
Was at Trader Joes last week - two guys with a cart stopped dead to stare at the VX. Later as I was checking out they ran up to me and started a conversation with the usual questions - seems they both work there and saw the truck the last time I was shopping TJs - they couldn't believe it was built in 2001.

Yesterday I had someone come up to me in the parking lot at work to ask if the truck was new - he hadn't seen one before and was blown away - he couldn't believe it was a 2001 either.

-- John

mrtew
10/19/2009, 08:20 PM
I've been driving my new Camaro half the summer and have gotten a fair amount of attention to be sure but when I stuck it in the garage last week and got out the VX for the winter I remembered what it's like to be the object of fascination for half the other drivers on the road again. Just crazy to still be getting the stares and comments in a nine year old truck!

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2329/sept2.jpg

Grif
10/19/2009, 09:13 PM
Happens to me all the time.

tom4bren
10/20/2009, 05:39 AM
Some guy followed me to Walmart the other day to ask about the Proton. Then he tried to convince me that I needed to add fender flares. That ... won't ... happen!!!

Bill Brown
10/20/2009, 07:13 PM
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2329/sept2.jpgGlad to see I'm not alone when it comes to giving passengers a short hike to the curb when I parallel park.:laughing:

Ldub
11/14/2009, 03:54 AM
At work, I park about 20' from the building (50' from my desk) right in front of a large window, so I can keep an eye on Suzy all night.
Also, I have a camera on her at all times, that I can zoom in close enough that I can see the holes in my spiffy new rotors.
We're located on a fairly well traveled street, & it's not unusual for cars to pull in to my parking lot & circle the VX several times, sometimes they even stop & get out for a closer inspection.

Greasemonkey
11/14/2009, 07:30 AM
I don't get asked everyone round here knows better
cheers
Steve

VXR
11/14/2009, 02:31 PM
ive noticed that going to typical vacation spots draws more attention to the VX.. was in cape may new jersey and got 4-5 comments in one day.. rehoboth beach, delaware seemed like every 3rd person walking down the street was looking the whole way down the street, i think people look more closely at their surroundings when on vacation/ somewhere they arent familiar with, so the vx sticks out even more

ya ever tried camping in a packed campground with a vx? My girlfriend got tired of answering all the questions when I was not around:yesb:

Ldub
11/22/2009, 03:50 AM
Tonight I was driving around on my first break (2:15-2:30 AM) & got pulled over for a burned out brake light.

The officer was WAY cool, & even said "I don't care about the loud muffler or anything else, this truck is just plain SWEET!" Then went on to talk a bit about his offroad experiences & ask where I liked to go etc.

I told him about Moab & Gilbert & the light would be fixed tomorrow.

Ya just gotta :heart: having the opprotunity to drive the coolest PUV ever made...:dance:

Axelivan
11/22/2009, 12:10 PM
Some people left notes on my windshield asking where to get one and the year. I said, this never happen to me with any other car. VX rules!!!!

logman
11/23/2009, 08:39 PM
I was filling up at a local gas station a few days ago, and a guy in a Yellow Nissan Xterra pulled up along side me on his way out and wanted to know what my VX was, where and how much he could get one for. He said it was the coolest looking truck he had ever seen...

I think he was a little bummed he bought the Nissan, and then realized he should have bought a VX!

crotchrocket
11/25/2009, 02:56 PM
got held up for 15 minutes in the carpark today by a guy who used to own a silver VX. he loved the mods and the off road bits and couldn't believe how cheap i got it for (guess he owned his a few years ago) he said he missed his and it was a great motor!! It must have been a 1 to 1,000,000 chance to bump into this guy, i mean how many previous owners are likely to be in England!!! and how many stood looking longingly at my VX, lol

Ldub
11/25/2009, 03:03 PM
i mean how many previous owners are likely to be in England!!! and how many stood looking longingly at my VX, lol

Was he a Yank?

And on the second point, I'd say ALL former VX owners would look longingly...:yesgray:

Some might even start crying...:(...:waab:

navistar
11/25/2009, 04:18 PM
Today I had a guy at the convenience store say, "Hey, that's the car that can drive under water isn't it!". I said, "Yeah but only in fresh water not salt water." I think he was picking up another 12-pack.

Navi

Bill Brown
11/26/2009, 03:13 PM
Tuesday, a fellow in a full-size jacked up p/u with massive wheels drove across the parking lot of a local shopping center to ask about my "new 2009" that he hadn't seen before, referring to my 10-year-old VX.

samneil2000
11/27/2009, 06:58 AM
Haha, Those are the best ones. That's a 99?!?! I can't believe I've never seen one before. That's because they are rare buddy. ;)

Tuesday, a fellow in a full-size jacked up p/u with massive wheels drove across the parking lot of a local shopping center to ask about my "new 2009" that he hadn't seen before, referring to my 10-year-old VX.