PDA

View Full Version : How do Europeans heat their homes??

Chopper
03/17/2008, 03:51 PM
We've a few continentals on here....riddle me this, Batman. How are you guys heating your homes, with gas at 5-7-9 dollars per gal. (US) Here, diesel is more than gasoline. Diesel and heating oil being the same thing....I guess you don't use a lot of oil heat? LP perhaps? Surely not coal:_confused:_confused

cyronman
03/18/2008, 07:13 PM
Come on, somebody...I'm curious too

Bulldoggie
03/18/2008, 08:51 PM
I know in Japan they use Kerosine space heaters, and use inline gas water heaters. Heating water only when it's needed and only heating the space they are in.

uncle_asa
03/18/2008, 09:56 PM
There are few different ways in Russia.
1) In cities and towns most common is to have the central station which heats water with gas or coil and distribute hot water through the pipes. Very modern buildings have their own heaters, but this practice is very uncommon.
2) In modern villages most common is to have gas heaters and rarely diesel and electric heaters.
3) In old villages most common is wood and coil heaters (something like fireplaces).

rowhard
03/18/2008, 11:57 PM
In England, coal is the most common form of heating. Use to be fire places, then back boilers behind the fire place with wall radiators in the rooms, then a unit with a hopper that boiled water and again wall radiators and sometimes floor coils, real nice except when you drank to much and pass out on the floor

mrtew
03/19/2008, 03:47 AM
What does the price of oil have to do with natural gas? Isn't most heating in the US and in Europe natural gas?

Scott Harness
03/19/2008, 12:19 PM
In England, coal is the most common form of heating. Use to be fire places, then back boilers behind the fire place with wall radiators in the rooms, then a unit with a hopper that boiled water and again wall radiators and sometimes floor coils, real nice except when you drank to much and pass out on the floor

I went to school with a kid that fell on a floor furnace. He had a grid-like waffle scar on one side of his face.

tom4bren
03/19/2008, 12:26 PM
I worked with a gentleman who had the same thing on his butt. I never saw it but he told me about it:)

JoFotoz
03/19/2008, 12:28 PM
Gas or Oil fired central heating is now the normal method in the United Kingdom...
...the back fired ("Baxi") style boilers that rowhard mentions being mostly replaced these days
due to smog rules and effeciency issues.

Most UK homes are built to a much higher (R-value) insulation code than here
in the USA.
So although the fuel is expensive , its reasonably effeciently used.
(No A/C costs to worry about in summer either!!)

Older homes tend to have the oil fired units...newer home use gas.

Modern Gas fired units employ a "manifold" system with individual "T's" going to AND from convection style hot water radiators.
The manifold system is very effecient as each radiator gets "new" boiler fresh hot water..
...rather than the old series system that led to water getting cooler and cooler as it travelled around the house.
The return water in a manifold system is also hotter when it re-enters the boiler...
...so less energy is required to re-heat it.

OK enough!!..yea...I sold heating door to door in Scotland one hellish 6 months...
("""if you sign tonight MrX...I'll include two free radiators"""""...ugh...I hate to remember those days!)

But hey......it helped pay for my sail boat racing adventures!!:cool:

jo

mdwyer
03/19/2008, 07:03 PM
I know in Japan they use Kerosine space heaters, and use inline gas water heaters. Heating water only when it's needed and only heating the space they are in.

I spent a week in a traditional Japanese apartment in January. There was an electric heat pump for heating and cooling, backed up with a portable kerosene heater. The only heated water was a gas in-line demand heater in the kitchen. The bath tub had its own gas heater. There didn't seem to be any insulation, there, so keeping warm in your own place was interesting.

You got the most heat from an electric heater under the short little table shrouded with blankets -- the kotatsu? That was cozy!

DarkWing
03/26/2008, 07:04 PM
I had the right side of my face burned off as a child by a "in the floor" central heater I fell on and could not push myself up from. (Luckily, I was so small I don't remember it.) They didn't have real ways to treat burns back then, so my mother kept me on her lap with a cloth soaked with some sort of salve on it. They said they could see into my mouth, see my teeth, with my lips closed. The scars have healed well, they have very little on the surface anymore. They only show up when I get tired, or ticked. People usually think I've fallen asleep on my hands. I tell people "I had half my face burned off as a child, that's why I'm so ugly, what's your excuse???" if they get on my nerves. (The scars are showing by this time.)

Anyway. LP fired furnace, one big duct in the middle of the house, in the floor, at the juction of two hallways. Long time ago, in the late 60's. Lot's of houses here in Alabama didn't even have that much.

DarkWing
D.W.
#0147:bwgr::bwgr:

mrtew
03/26/2008, 07:39 PM
Wow I never appreciated central heat before so much in my life!