PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag Sensor

SilverBullet75
03/16/2008, 09:23 PM
Hi,
Can anyone tell me the exact location of the air bag sensor within the front bumper? Pics would help... but description should be fine.
I guess the main question I have is, if I remove the metal bumper structure (under the cladding), will I be in danger of setting off the air bag?

thanks!
---JIM---

etlsport
03/16/2008, 09:43 PM
could always hit the front bumper with a bat until you find it ;Db;

SilverBullet75
03/16/2008, 09:55 PM
Exploratory surgery by brail... LOL

If I unplug the battery for a while, it should disable it anyway right?

etlsport
03/16/2008, 10:12 PM
which piece exactly are you wanting to remove? on my vx i have taken off the cladding and the metal piece that goes vertically in the center behind the cladding with no trouble at all

edit**

just read through the electrical troubleshooting manual, seems that the sensor isnt an impact sensor anyway, its an accelerometer which just outputs certain voltage at certain forces, so when the voltage output of it hits a certain level the airbags know its a situation which warrants airbags so they deploy.. this unit is located behind the glove box it looks like so you *should* be safe messing behind the front bumper and if the battery is disconnected there should be no chance of the airbags deploying or deploying on reconnect, there are no components listed anywhere outside the dashboard for the SRS system, if you want to take a look at what i was looking at its on page 93-94 of the electrical troubleshooting manual (93-94 on the pdf, the page number on the actual page is 47)

SilverBullet75
03/16/2008, 11:00 PM
THANK YOU!!!
That's what I needed!
I looked at the manual at what you referenced... Looks good.
Just to be sure I'll disconnect the battery.

What I'm trying to do is remove the entire metal bumper structure, tubular steel, brackets, supports, etc. I'm going to replace it with one from another VX. (the original is damaged from a minor impact.)

MUCH APPRECIATED!
:)
---JIM---