PDA

View Full Version : whats the best Muffler & Exhaust combo for the VX?

CoastieCosta567
03/12/2008, 09:40 PM
whats the best Muffler & Exhaust combo for the VX? I want something load and scary and deep. I need help fast, cuz i have a offroad trip with the guys at work to pismo beach California sands dunes. and i want to represent the VX and make all the other models(f150, trailblazer, jeep wrangler, jeep grand cherokee, f250, tundra, and many many other offroaders from other places and even 4 wheelers)looks like poo. :). so i want to install this before the 1st week of April. Please help me out pick the right muffler and or a tip/exhaust, cuz i have looking but can't find something that i really like, so i know u guys know whats the best for our VX's. Thanx you guys. :bwgy:

So-CalVX
03/12/2008, 10:33 PM
when is the trip, I wouldnt mind jumping up to join if I am free and have sum extra cash laying around.

And I think some body has flowmasters on here 40 series if I'm not mistaken. Maybe they (and others) will chime in.

I think that's what I have on my Ram too but its been awhile...

CoastieCosta567
03/12/2008, 10:53 PM
that would be aswome, it's on the first weekend of april, i think the 4th to the 5th, we plan to camp out as well and have fires and everything else that comes with it.

johnnyapollo
03/13/2008, 03:02 AM
Look up cyrk's setup...

-- John

fuzzy
03/13/2008, 06:45 AM
I love my custom MorganTec set-up.

Oh... you mean something you can still buy? :rolleyes:

Ldub
03/13/2008, 07:05 AM
Do a search...wasn't there just a thread, with swell audio clips & everything, just a week or three ago ?

Also, check Kennys gallery.

The truth of the matter is: your VX will stand on it's own merits when off roading with lesser brands, it doesn't need to be heard...though I'll be the first to admit.....

I LIKE LOUD PIPES & I CAN NOT LIE,

THAT BORLA TURBO REALLY MAKES IT FLY...:dance:...:rotate:...:rolleyesg

WormGod
03/13/2008, 07:58 AM
Best route....

http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/images/folgers.jpg

:cool:

JHarris1385
03/13/2008, 09:00 AM
Im looking to dual it soon.

I think it was PH2GR8 or however it is spelled that got the black diamond plate one? Am I right. If not or so, I did like the looks of it. And it has been said the stocker is heavy.

cyronman
03/13/2008, 10:07 AM
I love my custom MorganTec set-up.

Oh... you mean something you can still buy? :rolleyes:

Do a search...wasn't there just a thread, with swell audio clips & everything, just a week or three ago ?

Yes--still available

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12971

Ldub
03/13/2008, 10:14 AM
Best route....

http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/images/folgers.jpg

:thumbup: I believe it's industry wide common knowlege that a darker roast produces a more pleasing "rumble" & the lighter roast, which you seem to be steering Mr. Costie towards, have a more "raspy/ricey" note.:_wrench:

PHO2GR4
03/13/2008, 11:57 AM
Im looking to dual it soon.

I think it was PH2GR8 or however it is spelled that got the black diamond plate one? Am I right. If not or so, I did like the looks of it. And it has been said the stocker is heavy.

PH2GR8 says:

Check my gallery for photos of the muffler + carbon fiber exhaust tip, then listen to the killer audio of the stock vs. Flowmaster mufflers. I'm really happy with my setup.

CoastieCosta567
03/13/2008, 02:13 PM
i dont want a ricey sound, i want a deep i want to run over you jeep sound, you know :bwgy: . so which 1 should i get, the flowmaster, or the morgentec, from cyronman, or a thrush glasspack? Cyronman, i'm leaning towards yours, so if u still have it, i am like 60% of buying it if u still want to sell it. and if so whats your final price? and ship to san francisco area? Mr Cyronman :flower:. :bwgy:

JHarris1385
03/13/2008, 02:26 PM
Dual it out bro......

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8947/ppuser/1483

Kenny
03/16/2008, 09:46 PM
i dont want a ricey sound, i want a deep i want to run over you jeep sound, you know :bwgy: . so which 1 should i get, the flowmaster, or the morgentec, from cyronman, or a thrush glasspack? Cyronman, i'm leaning towards yours, so if u still have it, i am like 60% of buying it if u still want to sell it. and if so whats your final price? and ship to san francisco area? Mr Cyronman :flower:. :bwgy:

I sold my Morgan Tec for a rootbeer float. :)
It's worth it for any price!

SilverBullet75
03/16/2008, 10:04 PM
And I think some body has flowmasters on here 40 series if I'm not mistaken. Maybe they (and others) will chime in.

I have the Super40 Flowmaster... Absoulutely love it. Loud, gruff, angry, menacing, and unricey.
---JIM---

Anita
03/16/2008, 10:08 PM
I have the Super40 Flowmaster... Absoulutely love it. Loud, gruff, angry, menacing, and unricey.
---JIM---

I can vouch for Jim's set-up. vroooooooooooom

WormGod
03/17/2008, 08:03 AM
I can vouch for Jim's set-up. vroooooooooooom

I will give props to this exhaust as well. I have a friend who has it on his Dodge pickup (V6) and it sounds quite nice. Whenever I hear it, but don't know it's him coming, I look over my shoulder expecting to see a Stang or Camaro. :cool:

SilverBullet75
04/15/2008, 11:17 PM
I just bought an '01 with stock muffler. While driving back to Vegas from San Jose, I got 360 miles of range. When I got home, I put the Flowmaster from my '99 onto the '01... It KILLED the milage! It went down to 280 miles... so, I switched it back to stock.

Pros: GREAT sound... but not so loud that it attracts the Po-Po. Also light weight...

Cons: Very low back pressure... VX needs at least SOME! Killed the MPG and power. Power band had a flat spot during spirited acceleration. Switched to Stock muffler... power and mpg came back.

Question... is there an insert that can be installed that will increase backpressure, and not quiet it down too much?
I've seen the thread about the insert for quieting a low backpressure muffler, but not the other way around.
???

Ldub
04/16/2008, 05:38 AM
You could try a Supertrapp tip insert, which would allow you to fine tune backpressure by adjusting the number of discs.
I know they make one that fits the stock 3" tip, because I have one.
I think I got it from Summit, but not 100% on that.

taylorRichie
04/16/2008, 07:24 AM
I had dual supertrapps on my ZR2.

I like them, they're highly tunable, both sound and performance. They are a bit pricey however, and depending on your setup they take a better than average muffler shop to do the install.

My setup was dual Trapps exiting through my Rollpan.

4.3 liter V6, Sound was pretty loud, based on how I tuned it. Performance wasn't great at first, but after a short break in period they really helped out.

SilverBullet75
05/01/2008, 10:28 PM
In case anyone is interested...
I made a video of pics and sounds (video will make you sea-sick...sorry) of the Flowmaster Super40. It's almost 6 mins long.
VCross007 asked about part numbers for the Super40, which I don't have... so I threw this together. Hope this helps anyone interested in this exhaust setup!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDjHUm5pxf8

pbkid
05/02/2008, 07:22 AM
just gotta throw in a little representation of PV2's.....

i like mine and i get compliments all the time about how it sounds...

powervault PV2....hard to get ahold of but a fun muffler....mine sounds a little strange at high RPM but who drives at high RPM on a regular basis anyhow? at normal driving speeds it has a great rumble to it....

the funny sounding muffler at high speeds could attribute that i chopped the exhaust shorter with a sawzall because i was sick of it catching on stuff when i was backing off :_confused