PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement

Y33TREKker
03/11/2008, 07:04 PM
No that anyone needs to be told this, especially with recent reports about public water supplies. Nonethless, to my friends who enjoy a glass of wine..and those who don't...here it is.

As Ben Franklin said: "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria."

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop!

However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila, rum, whiskey or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember: Water = Poop
Wine = Health

Therefore, it is better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of $#!+.

:bwgy:

mdwyer
03/12/2008, 05:05 PM
In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop!

Ugh... pseudoscience at its best.

You don't want to KNOW how much Saccharomyces cerevisiae you've been ingesting. Or Lactobacillus acidophilus and casei. It's just gross!!

Look, there are living things everywhere. S. cerevisiae makes beer and bread. L. acidophilus is youghurt. L. casei is cheese. Even E. coli isn't the villian most people think. Most strains of E. coli are beneficial and are already living in you right now. They're making vitamin K, and preventing other infections, just by being bigger and meaner.

There was a time, way before public water systems, when drinking beer WAS the only safe way to go. Boiling the wort killed a lot of bad things, then the yeast would scare off any new bad things.

In the modern world, you're in more danger from your own lead pipes than the from the water inside them.

Dad worked in a water works...so I'm a little sensitive about this. 'Course that was at 10,000ft above sea level. The advantage of living in the mountains is that nobody's had a chance to poop in your water, yet. :) I also brew my own beer!