PDA

View Full Version : When to get new shocks?

Toad80t
03/09/2008, 08:08 PM
I have 110,000 on what looks to be the original shocks. How do you know when they are shot? What sort of things should I be looking for?

etlsport
03/09/2008, 08:36 PM
you will feel that when you hit bumps the truck tends to rock back and forth for a bit instead of just a hard jolt. you could jump on the cargo area in the back of the vx and feel how much bounce there is, it should not rock back and forth more than once or twice. replacement of the shocks is easy from what ive seen, i would not replace with OEM shocks unless you have some cash to spare as they are like 400 per shock (x4) to replace from the dealership

Joe Isuzu
03/10/2008, 04:41 PM
I would say getting 110k on original shocks for a heavy vehicle like ours is quite an accomplishment, you can read several threads here about alternatives if you choose to go with something other than OEM, I would offer the OEM one's to someone here in the club if you don't want them, there's always someone who has an interest in them

SlowPro48
03/12/2008, 01:53 PM
I'll second that. Please don't throw your old OEM shocks away, as they are rebuildable. Someone here might want them.

Who knows - 30 years from now our beloved VX might be collectable so we need to save as many original parts as possible.

mrtew
03/17/2008, 06:09 PM
....might be!?!??!?!??!