PDA

View Full Version : General Axiom Questions

Joe Isuzu
03/09/2008, 04:55 PM
Yes, I realize we are a VX family, but I figured some of you have either owned or are muc more familiar with Axioms than I, so here goes.
Toying with the idea of being interested in an '04 Axiom as typical Isuzu they depreciate pretty quick, the '04 had the best motor and I dig its look.
So, was it rare to find these with leather? I think every one I've seen listed has cloth seats. Did they not offer leather in USA?
If ya'll could give me some input about them as well I would appreciate it. I figure it's faster than my VX, likely has a slighter better ride, appears to get better gas mileage, carry more stuff. Really, other than looks and handling/braking, I think it has a lot over the VX. No, this isn't heresy (?), the VX isn't going anywhere. I just think the Axiom sounds pretty appealing. Any input would be appreciated.

johnnyapollo
03/10/2008, 05:29 AM
I've ridden in a few and shopped for one with a friend - also former VX owner Mike Pate sold his proton and bought an Axiom. In general it's a little quicker - I think he bought the direct injected version. I think it's more of a street driver from what I recall (not as much ground clearance - but I could be wrong about that - it definitely doesn't have the approach angles but you may not care if you don't go off-road). I believe there was a leather package on at least the earlier models, but the first two years had unusual color combinations for the interiors - sort of an orangy tan and a parchment white that both struck me as odd/ugly. One thing to note is that when you adjust the front seats there isn't much leg room in the back. They were designed as an eventual replacement for the Rodeo and are on the narrow side, especially if you've ever ridden in a trooper. In general not a bad truck - it also gets slightly better gas mileage.

Personally, I think I would find something that gets better mileage but still does what you want it to do - Joe Black's TDI is awesome at over 50 MPG (Diesel) and is certainly appealing to me. Once you drive in a VX it's tough to feel comfortable in something else - the Cayenne/Taureg has similar characteristics to the VX as far as handling and response, plus the drive height is about the same. All the other SUVs I've tried have pretty much been dogs. I was excited by the FJCruiser, being a former FJ40 owner, but it fails on many levels - sort of a soft-riding VX that handles like a boat. If they shortened up the wheelbase and put a super/turbo charged motor in it I would be enticed to own one again. JMHO.

-- John

JHarris1385
03/10/2008, 06:40 AM
Leather comes in the S and XS packages. Stick with 2004 for the direct injection.

I am in your dame boat. The woman wants an SUV so I am trying to stick her in an Axiom.

Overall they are good.
Search Morgan-Tech Axiom on I think cardomain. I think Joe Black has one or had one. Just do a little more research.

WormGod
03/10/2008, 07:18 AM
Ya know, as much as I like the Axiom (always have), I couldn't justify buying ANY ISUZU now. Fair enough that I have the VX, but ISUZU was still a sign that was seen on dealerships at the time. Now though.... well, I guess it's just a matter of personal interest.

But hey, you find an Axiom that works for you and you don't mind that ISUZU is now lying beside the mammoth, take a shot.

(I say this now.... I am sure my opinion will change by 4pm today and I will be looking for another Amigo) :p

Joe Isuzu
03/10/2008, 04:30 PM
thanks for the input fellas, yes, I would really only be interested in the '04 due to the direct injection, I've read 7.5 for 0-60 which is pretty good for a heavy SUV,
I was concerned about the rear leg space though as that was one of the complaints, I put the car seat in the back of the VX just to test it out, I have to adjust the front seat a little more upright, but otherwise it does well, as of now the kids are backward-facing so when they face front that will make a big difference with respect to the room they take up
One of the few bad things about being tall is that you're limited in what you can drive and you REALLY limit the people sitting behind you! :)
Thanks for confirming about the leather, I read that it was an option but I swear everyone I saw for sale had cloth, there's one here locally that's an '04 and silver, I will need to try it on for size but thank goodness it's silver, my A4 is silver and I couldn't have two of the same colour in the house, besides, my wife would have a heart attack even she knew I was even thinking about something esle
Lastly, no, being an Isuzu doesn't concern me, it's not like when they close up shop here that parts will disappear as well and mechanics will forget how to work on them, as I've said in many previous posts, I used to own two Alfa's and while some of their stuff was really good (engine, brakes, great looks), it's safe to say that I needed more work on them than I will on any Isuzu I get, haha!!

Joe_Black
03/10/2008, 08:28 PM
We had an '04 Axiom XS with leather and the Direct Injection ('04 only) and my wife, who was the primary driver, really liked it. Not as much as her '01 Trooper, but in her words it was "like a Trooper/VX hybrid" to drive. I found it a little cramped after being used to typical Isuzu spaciousness, but not so much I couldn't spend all day in it. It is all Isuzu, so good quality and part availability. The only thing I didn't particularly like about it was the location of the fuel tank which would definitely warrant a decent skid plate for serious off-roading. It was VERY peppy with the extra HP and torque provided with the Direct Injection version of the 3.5L engine, with city mileage for us at about 19MPG and hiway in the mid-twenties. We found ours through CarMax at a S. Carolina dealership and they brought it down to the local Orlando location for a little bit extra. The only reason we sold was our fundamental shift to diesel power.

If you have any specific questions or would like hi-res photos just PM or email. :bgwo:

PS: If you like the Rodeo at all you can find them with the Direct Injection engine as well, just look for '04 models. But if you're looking for something unique, brawny with power and economy then look at some V10 TDI Touaregs. Just watch some Dakar footage before you do so you can see them in the correct frame of mind! ;)

Joe Isuzu
03/11/2008, 03:25 PM
thanks for the info Joe Black, honestly, I think a $8-11k axiom is a lot more in the ballpark than any tourag except a high mileage one, and I'm willing to bet the maintenance is cheaper as well but yea, I think the tourag looks pretty sweet, even better than the cayenne imo, and I'm sure I'm likely not spelling tourag right but I don't care enough to find out, ha!
I will have to get in an axiom locally and see how things fare in the back seat after I'm comfortable in the front, the more peppiness as well as better gas mileage are both appealing to me
funny you got yours from a carmax in SC, who knows, it may have been the one about 5 miles away from me!

JHarris1385
03/13/2008, 09:06 AM
Well I am drinving a few miles to go look at a 2004 with 60K for 8grand this weekend.

Joe_Black
03/13/2008, 11:38 AM
Well I am drinving a few miles to go look at a 2004 with 60K for 8grand this weekend.

Wow! That sounds like a steal, definitely go over it with the proverbial fine-tooth comb. ;)

JHarris1385
03/13/2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah I could not belive I found it. Plus its about 2 hours away.
With that mileage they are listing in the 12's.

My soon-to be wife, wants an SUV and I have been telling her to get one of these. She has a mustang that only has about 1-1.5k in equity so we set our limit at 8k for the time being since there is alot of purchasing going on in our lives right now (wedding in three months, buying first home......)

JHarris1385
03/13/2008, 12:57 PM
Shat....it is 2wd.....

Joe Isuzu
04/03/2008, 04:59 PM
On a related note, there's a current thread talking about this list where the VX does well,
http://www.carreview.com/SUV/PLS_1524_913crx.aspx
the axiom, on the other hand, seems to be inundated (sp?) with tranny issues, it appears most of the complainers are 02 models which is a year I'm not interested in, did they have to do a recall of '02 transmissions for the axiom, was this a problem endemic to the model in general?
I'm not looking to get a deal and pay low bucks for a cool looking and fast Isuzu only to be spending big bucks later for tranny work, any input?
thanks!!

Joe_Black
04/03/2008, 06:12 PM
IIRC the non-direct injection models had the same engine and tranny (4L30E) as the VX with the exception of throttle-by-wire, so essentially the same boatload of issues using a tranny at the edge of it's performance envelope.

Joe Isuzu
04/04/2008, 02:05 PM
thanks for responding Joe Black, no offense, but your answer is not very reassuring, thankfully I'm no stop-light racer and I don't plan on towing much of anything so hopefully there'd be little to any strain on the tranny, it's disappointing that this might be an expected source of big bills though and from the looks of the comments by the Axiom owners, it seems to happen much earlier than it should imo

Joe_Black
04/04/2008, 04:48 PM
I've had a few 4L30E's now and haven't had any issues, especially with the current 140K mile unit in our IronMan. And we do tow quite a bit with it, up to 7500lbs for short hauls too (Caterpillar 22). The transmission is likely quite up to task for normal driving habits with occassional towing and off-roading, and where it runs into problems is when folk start pushing it's limits with bigger tires and lifts or constant towing/off-roading. Few laymen understand that mechanical loads often increase in an exponential fashion which leads to early and sometimes catastrophic failures.

Fortunately with the Axiom you have an option that not only increases power and economy, but does so with a very capable transmission and a transfer case that comes equipped with an electronic 2WD mode. Keep looking, you'll find a good '04! ;)

Joe Isuzu
04/05/2008, 09:12 AM
ok, feel mucho better now, thanks again Joe Black
I'm definitely not into lifts or serious off-roading so it sounds like for the easy-life way I handle cars, it should do well

innercore
08/02/2008, 11:57 AM
I have just purchased a 2003 AXi in June 08 and another one in July 08 via out of state dealerships. Price was right and I drove the first one back over 2000 mile road-trip through highway and tight mountain roads and it performed way above expectations.

Just an fyi, I also have 2000 VX and a 2000 Trooper too. My brother has my old 93 Trooper. My other brother has two VX's. My nephew has one VX. My other other brother has a 2001 Trooper. :cool:

Joe Isuzu
08/02/2008, 01:32 PM
congratulations innercore, sounds like you are a definite isuzu enthusiast
Personally, if I were to get one, it would only be an '04 due to DI engine, can't beat it, more power AND better gas mileage!

innercore
08/02/2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Joe,

The second one I purchased was a 2004 Silver with 17500 orginal miles. The first one I purchased was Green 2003 with 18000 orginal miles. Both were purchased for under 11000 and from dealerships. Both are under warranty. I like them allot and the price was great. I hope Isuzu keeps the parts line open and the Isuzu Service open too. They are for my kids. The VX is for me. The Trooper for the wife. All I have ever had to maintain was regular/normal service and check the oil...especially during long trips. Isuzu makes a good product...just make sure you bring them in to get proper/recommended service.