PDA

View Full Version : threshold of TOD malfunction

etlsport
03/05/2008, 09:49 AM
in my search for used offroading tires ive come across another good deal.. 3 mostly new BFG ATs and 1 slightly used BFG AT on 16" AR wheels... im concerned that the slightly used wheel is gonna send my differential or TOD into a fit though. anyone know how big a difference they can handle before throwing a fit?

here are photos of the tread difference...

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/teampoopypants/tires1.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/teampoopypants/tires2.jpg

JHarris1385
03/05/2008, 10:25 AM
I would say you are fine. Put it on in the rear. I had a flat and had to put a brand new tire on with 3 worn. No problems.

psychos2
03/05/2008, 02:51 PM
I would say you are fine. Put it on in the rear. I had a flat and had to put a brand new tire on with 3 worn. No problems.

Do not put it on the rear you will destroy your limited slip rear diff. If you have tires that are a larger diameter you want them on the rear. And I am not saying you can run different size tires on an all wheel drive vx. And I do not now how much of a difference is ok. If you get a flat on the rear you must move one of the front tires to the rear and use the spare on the front. This is why the spare tire is useless. shawn

JHarris1385
03/05/2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah I should have clarified what I meant. Should have made sure that it was clear my new tire (larger in diameter) went on in the back.

etlsport
03/05/2008, 03:16 PM
good to know psycho, thanks

J, how many miles did you have on your tires when you put the new one on?

JHarris1385
03/05/2008, 03:40 PM

psychos2
03/06/2008, 04:44 AM
I left out that you cannot run two different size tires on the rear. The rear axle will think one tire is slipping and will kick in the lsd and ruin it. shawn

JHarris1385
03/06/2008, 06:08 AM
Welp you just talked him out of it.

I never had a problem with a slightly larger tire in the rear. That is ONE slightly larger tire.

psychos2
03/06/2008, 02:41 PM
Welp you just talked him out of it.

I never had a problem with a slightly larger tire in the rear. That is ONE slightly larger tire.

I am not saying he shouldn't do it ,I am saying he needs to use the same size tires in the back. Put the oddball in the front. It may not cause any TOD issues. I have not tried it so I do not know. I do know that the smaller tire should be on the front. If it were me I would run a little more pressure in the oddball tire to make it the same diameter as the others and then there will be no issues. shawn