PDA

View Full Version : front axle problems

bigkoala1
03/04/2008, 08:49 AM
need help again guys....

got the vx home yesterday and heard some intermitent clickin of the front axle. took it to my mechanic today and he said it needs a front axle boots and cv joints but he was unable to find parts...

anyone know where i can find these parts?

thanks in advance for your help

tom4bren
03/04/2008, 10:14 AM
I found the parts very difficult to find. I finally found a mom&pop shop who rebuilt mine (reluctently). Some of the components may be shared by other vehicles (bearings & inner race) but I'm not sure.

Basically they stole parts from a VX axle I bought from a junkyard online. The axle cost me $300.00. He used the inner race from the donor axle, ground the outer race (green cup on some of the posted pix) while still mounted on the vehicle. He then put it all together with oversized bearings & charged me $600.00. By this time, the Proton had not been driven for 2 months so I paid the man and ran with a smile on my face.

He indicated that he could rebuild the donor axle for $300.00 but I haven't taken him up on it yet.

There are plenty of threads on here about CV problems, CV boot replacement & one called CVs for dummies that I started.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Tom

psychos2
03/04/2008, 02:56 PM
need help again guys....

got the vx home yesterday and heard some intermitent clickin of the front axle. took it to my mechanic today and he said it needs a front axle boots and cv joints but he was unable to find parts...

anyone know where i can find these parts?

thanks in advance for your help

Last I checked Autozone had them.$100 with $50 core charge. And free shipping with orders over $75.If they are not in your area. shawn .http://www.autozone.com/home.htm

bigkoala1
03/04/2008, 03:45 PM
Last I checked Autozone had them.$100 with $50 core charge. And free shipping with orders over $75.If they are not in your area. shawn .http://www.autozone.com/home.htm

thanks guys!!! merlin had them for $704!!! cost was $850!!:eek:

tom4bren
03/04/2008, 04:14 PM
AutoZone says they have them but when you try to order it, they don't. The guy in the store says that the computer will back order it but it will never come in. It was the same story with any online suppliers.

All of this was my luck last summer. Post if you have better luck. Hope you do.

bigkoala1
03/04/2008, 05:03 PM
im gonna check it out tomorrow... ill let you know how it goes!!

but for now its back to the big red van:(

Gussie2000
03/04/2008, 06:30 PM
Oh yes,go to your internet browser & type ISUZUPARTS.COM you'll find any thing you need from those guys GUARRANTIED ! ;)

superman
06/01/2009, 10:41 PM
Isuzu wants 883.00 for my front right cv axle. I found one online at US auto parts for 95.00. A shop charged me 195.00 to replace it last week. It broke yesterday and is now back in the shop. Apparently, they forgot to check the condition of the wheel bearings when they replaced the axle.

JHarris1385
06/02/2009, 07:51 AM
I would honestly suggest you do not need the axel joints. This is just too common for a mech to say becuase they come as one whole piece. Those parts are strong. Just get a boot and regrease it all.

This is coming from person that heard the exact same. But I knew he was full of it. I took it to another mechanic that I trust and he said everything was fine it just needed the boot and new grease. And mine was clicking as well. All parts were clean as possible. When I take it to my mechanic I give him a helping hand so I oversee everything that goes on too.

tom4bren
06/02/2009, 10:07 AM
"Just get a boot and regrease it all."

I tried that when mine was bad. No dice, my CV was toast.

Hellcat
01/15/2011, 04:28 PM
Does anyone know if anyone makes a polyurethane front axle boot? I am now going on my 4th set of the traditional rubber type and am looking for a good solution to excessive wear--I have approx, 60,000 mi. on the vehicle. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thx-Hellcat (Carter)

VXorado
01/16/2011, 08:11 AM
Its only a problem when those CV cups get torn up, otherwise you can just replace the boot or halfshaft. Its really hard locate the inner part for the driver side but the passenger side CV can be purchased through EMPI with the inner.

BeeVenom
01/16/2011, 04:16 PM
Had some noise in my front axle too, but turned out to be the inner bearing on the passenger side. Since i was putting in new rotors (got R1 Concepts slotted/drilled rotors) and brake pads (EBC green pads) on all 4 wheels, seemed like a no-brainer to replace ALL inner/outer bearings, races, and seals. Now, it's so nice and stops on a dime! What a great set-up! scott

BeeVenom
01/22/2011, 12:18 PM
I used the ultimax pads instead of the green stuff. Very happy!

tom4bren
01/24/2011, 02:43 AM
This is being discussed in other threads so just for completeness, RCV performance will soon be offering replacement half shafts for our rigs. These will be performance parts that should outlast the VX itself. Cost will be $1800 for a set (both sides) which is comparable to what Isuzu charges for OEM nowadays. I had them put a rush on fabricating the driver side first since insurance will be picking up the tab for mine to be replaced. Passenger side should be ready late spring or early summer of 2011.

I have no vested interest in RCV performance so I'm not trying to sell their products for them. The ones they make for ToyToters look REALLLLLY impressive tho.