PDA

View Full Version : High Engine Idle!

TYGVR
06/16/2003, 01:33 PM
Yesterday after starting my VX the idle was around 2000 (normally bet 500-1000). I proceded to drive thinking it would drop back to normal. After about 1 mile it was up to 3000-3500(slid it in neutral) and I was doing 40mph without touching the gas! It was difficult to stop. My trip was only 3 miles and when I arrived at my destination and put it into park the idle returned to normal. I know it was not a stuck gas pedal I tried pulling that up while in park with no result. I did have the air on when I started but turned it off right away thinking that would fix it no luck. Anyone heard of this before?

AlaskaVX
06/16/2003, 01:40 PM
Wow, that's pretty scary! I haven't seen any post with anything like this happen before. I would take a run to the dealer and start screeming "It almost killed me! I almost couldn't stop!" I think they should fix it after that! Good luck, sorry I can't help, thats just wierd.

newthings
06/16/2003, 02:09 PM
Yup,
Mine does the same thing. Sometimes I think is is altitude ( I am at about 5000 ft) and sometimes I think is is temperature. I have complained and I have not been able to demo for the shop. We are not alone is this issue.
Roy

Tone
06/16/2003, 02:12 PM
Known issue with either leaking intake gasket or power steering switch - use search feature for more info if it continues.

hchen
06/16/2003, 04:01 PM
well...you might just need to bring it to the dealer to get tuned up again...it happened to my mom's car...i kno it's not a vehicross but in essence theyre all the same. just bring it in to get it tuned and it shouldnt happen again

paultvx
06/16/2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by hchen
well...you might just need to bring it to the dealer to get tuned up again...it happened to my mom's car...i kno it's not a vehicross but in essence theyre all the same. just bring it in to get it tuned and it shouldnt happen again

Master mechanic. Definitely. Oh yah.

Dallas4u
06/16/2003, 11:57 PM
:D

andy454
06/17/2003, 11:37 AM
The dealer should be able to look at the position of the iac valve and determine if the valve is commanded to close. If this is so, then air is getting in from some place such as the intake gasket. He should also be able to watch the fuel trims to see if they are lean. Try and spray some carb cleaner around the base of the intake and listen for the engine to change rpm's. If the dealer is doing this he will be able to see the o2 sensors go full rich as soon as he sprays the intake( if there is a leak). You will not believe how fast they react. This is how I found the leak on my girls trooper. Watch the 02 voltage and hit it with carb clearner of brake cleaner. Be careful as not to start a fire. Sure is hard to type with one arm. Just had my ac joint surgery. Feels much better though. Hope this helps out. .

Andy