PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Springs/shocks

hchen
06/16/2003, 08:43 AM
I wanna kno if anyone knows of any products taht are available to lower the VX....'cause i wanna do taht to mine...im not really into lifting it or any of that offroading stuff...even tho it looks really really fun but i'd probably flip the thing.

i've seen a picture of one that is lowered in japan...i was wondering if anyone knows what to buy or where to buy GOOD/Top quality springs and shocks so i can drop my VS 2 inches or so....thanks!

finally got some money so imma start doing more things to mah baby werd!

WormGod
06/16/2003, 10:51 AM
For starters, you SHOULD be able to drop the front by cranking the torsion bar. This will make for a MUCH bouncier and stiffer ride (I know, cause I tried it already). As for the rear, of course, springs will need to be worked with. I dont recommend cutting them, but maybe having some springs measured and clamped, or if a manufacturer offers a shorter spring. This, however, has some side effects. You most likely will have to trim down the suspension buttress within the rear spring shaft. I have not dealt with the rear yet due to horrible weather here lately, but I am planning on checking it out.

Also, note how low you want to go, because the tranfer case will not allow you to go too low. The VX simply isnt designed to be slammed. My plan was to drop about 2". That seems safe by my measurements.

If you happen to find out any news on manufacturers or products to use, do list them here. I know a few others are also interested in getting a tad closer to the tarmac. :)

hchen
06/16/2003, 03:56 PM
so i dont have to replace the front springs and shocks to drop the VX huh? hrmm...i might have to try it...but gotta find out how to do the rear too 'cause i dun want it to look like i got airbags =P yea i want to drop it 2 inches also to cover up some of the space betweent he wheel and the fender.

i dun think i wanan cut the springs or do anythign to stock springs, i would rather replace the springs and shocks...looking into it now and have been for a while...still havnet found anyone that sells 'em =/ i'll ask my friends who opened up a shop if they could figure out anything...i'll let you kno.

hchen
06/16/2003, 09:39 PM
im having some friends check out products that might be able to be compatible with the VX. one of them checked out the springs and suspension and said they should make a universal kit that could work for it so i'll find out soon. he said dont clamp the rear springs 'cause that could cause some major problems. imma go shop around instead of looking online 'cause cant find anything. i wish i knew japanese so i can go find some japanese forum (if they had any) and send out mass messages to everyone. haha

Cyrk
06/17/2003, 06:20 AM
I remember N1 was looking into a set of lowering spring from one of his hook ups in Japan, I believe it was the same cats who got him and them my the brake pad and line upgrades...

But know getting in touch with him until he is all better?

But let me know if you come across anything here in the States, as I want to lower her a little...

-Dave

hchen
06/17/2003, 11:49 AM
yea im looking into it with some of my boys in the import scene. theyre searching far and wide...domestically....for any universal kit that could be used. i'd rather have better JDM kits tho =P could you see if you can still find out who's selling them 'cause i want mine to scrape....haha jp. about 2 - 2 1/2 inch drop which will make the space between the wheel and fender almost disappear. that would look sleek and give the people in the backseats a more enjoyable ride........

grober02
06/17/2003, 11:50 AM
I have been doing a lot of research in the past two months to find out how to lower the rear of the VX, and so far, I am still very unsuccessful. I have tried out two styles of clamps, both of which I got from JC Whitney. The one can be used to clamp down 3 coils and you'll get 1 full inch. However, not the easiest to install. The other set clamps down the 2 middle coils for not even 1/2 inch, but very easy to install. I had 2 individuals look at the VX to see about cutting the springs, but as expected, they highly recommended NOT doing this. I checked with Air Ride to see what they recommended, but this option would be way to expensive. So finding a compatible spring that already exists or, better yet, maybe finding someone who will actually fabricate springs for this vehicle. Maybe if enough VX members on this site showed enough interest...even so, there may not be enough demand...

Dallas4u
06/17/2003, 12:11 PM
I don't think there will be enough interest. Not tryin to knock your choice to slam, but most of the people who bought the VX in the first place bought it because of its looks AND capabilities. It has sweet on road AND offroad performance. Unlike slammed Suburbans, Tahoes, Expeditions, and the like, those are pretty much everyday SUVs and trucks... unless you either get an offroad package or customize it yourself... if you get the offroad package in the first place, you probably wouldn't be lowering it. Kinda the same deal here. Most of us bought the VX because it looks like nothing else out there (or LOOKED like nothing else out there... until lately), and because of its higher ground clearance and capability in the dirty stuff. It's hard enough to find ANYTHING aftermarket made for the VX because of the limited number produced.

Good luck in your findings... there may have to be some trial and error to do what you are thinking of doing.

TimG
06/17/2003, 02:18 PM
I can't seem to find the original post/article where I read it but, Todd Adams (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=118) had custom springs made for his lift.
I assume that the same company that made the custom springs for his lift could also make custom springs to lower the thing.
I think they were called springworks or something like that. You should email him (he doesn't visit here much unless it is getting close to ZuZoo) and ask.

Of course my memory may be completely failing me, and it could have been someone else entirely. :)

WormGod
06/17/2003, 02:54 PM
Let's not mistaken "lowering" with "slamming". Two totally different things. My cousin loves to correct me all the time on this. He is in a truck club based around slammed trucks. I personally, wouldnt mind losing 2" of height. No, I dont offroad, and I understand the capabilities of the VX. I just choose NOT to use it offroad (I have a 4 wheeler for that). Needless to say, I have to travel a couple of hours just do do that since I live in the city.

In all actuality, slamming a VX and using it for everyday use is sort of limiting. One reason for the initial VX clearance is the profiled undercarriage. With the transfer case being so very visible, lowering the VX at all increases the chances of tearing that puppy up. As for slamming it, well, we all know that a 4WD (TOD) is just not going to be your partner for such a task. Things I am sure we all realise already though. It's always something with the VX. Having an automobile that just isnt as popular as the said Tahoes and Suburbans and such is just a reminder of how much harder we have to dig to get what we want for the VX. The search for mods will continue until the last VX sits in a lot rusting away, heh.

Some like it high, some like it low. Different moats for different castles, and it's hard to judge the king by his castle. ;)

Dallas4u
06/17/2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by hchen
...'cause i want mine to scrape....haha

This, my friend, is definitely slamming.

I know, he really wants around 2" of lowering. I understand that this is not considered slamming. My whole point was it will be more difficult finding any aftermarket support for the VX compared to, well, almost anything else out there.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another what most people do to their autos... I'm just getting tired of saying that as anything you say can be turned into something negative.

hchen
06/17/2003, 04:22 PM
yah lots of negativity...and dallas is right, i was being sarcastic...i work with the import scene and when we drop a car we wanan get it as low to the ground as possible so i was just makin a job about slammin it even tho it's impossible.

anyways, im gonna see if any of my friends in japan can help me search for those guys sellin the lowering kits. 2 inches would be real nice and would do real good with the handling which is waht i mostly care about. im more of a street person than offroading so that's why. if i take it off i'd probably flip it =P

TimG
06/17/2003, 04:40 PM
What's a "wanan"?

-x-
06/17/2003, 04:57 PM
lowering helps cornering lol sorry just had to get in here, i myself love the look of my vx and in my mind (whats left of it) my vx would look better w/less of a gap from the fender to the tire. So yes i to seek to lower - a bit ; ) ...x

AlaskaVX
06/17/2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by -x-
i myself love the look of my vx and in my mind (whats left of it) my vx would look better w/less of a gap from the fender to the tire.

Said sarcastically, "Thats why you put larger tires on, duhh!" :) ;) :D

I just can't imagine lowering a VX. You guys do what you want though. :)

Oh and Tim I think he ment "wanna" or in English "want to" ;)

EDIT: This post is not intended to offend anyone, just stating my opinion (I reread it and it could have been taken the wrong way)

-x-
06/17/2003, 05:34 PM
Dont see how i could get offended at that :rolleyes: Id say the same thing lol. ;Dy;

But yea comming from a lowered car (honda prelude) to a beautiful vx, until i get some 20's im gonna wanna ;pb; eliminate that gap...x

hchen
06/17/2003, 06:31 PM
First off, Tim youre annoying as hell. i think it's about time when you quit it with your "wise" comments and start acting your age. if you have nothing constructive to say just keep your mouth shut 'cause frankly, im gettin sick of coming across them 'cause it seems like you have no life and most of your day revolves around following my posts and trying to rag on what i say.

and to -X-
youre not gonna eliminate the gap if you get 20's because teh wheels size is the same if you use low profile tires and im assuming that's what you want for better handling and the aesthetic qualities. getting 20's will actually make it look more awkward because it will accentuate the gap. the only way to cover up some of the gap without lowering it is to get 22's and ...yea...that's crazy notes right there...

grober02
06/17/2003, 08:26 PM
I have a set of 22s on my VX, and, like you said about the 20s, the gap looks worse due to the low profile tire. Unless I can find some way to lower it, I'm going to have to get bigger tires for the back. Right now, I have 285/30/22 front and back.

-x-
06/17/2003, 09:59 PM
Little info if ya dont mind on tha rims...just curious as to if they fit w/out modifying anything and if bigger tires (say 45 maybe even 55ish) would fit?

Just askin cause i originally wanted 22's but my tire tech mexanic said he didnt see that being possible. Thanx for and and all info. And they are beautiful....x

grober02
06/18/2003, 06:21 AM
If you do a search in the gallery for '22s', you'll find a picture. I too was told by every local shop that 22s wouldn't fit. I then went on the web and literally emailed every wheel shop. I got about 20 responses, half of which were positive. They said that if I went with 275/35/22s, it should work. I went ahead and ordered the wheels only to find that the 275/35/22 pirellis were on a 60-day backorder. Instead of the pirellis, I went with 285/30/22 Dunlops. As far as fitment, and if I could start over, I would recommend putting 275/35/22s in the front and 285/45/22s in the back. That will definitely fill up the back wheel wells, and as for the front, you need to allow a little gap so you don't rub the front wheel well on wide turns. But if you are thinking about lowering your VX, and if we ever figure this mod out, then the 45 series would not work. I have more pics, if you are interested. Not the greatest, but I'll post them if you want to see more angles...

-x-
06/18/2003, 07:17 AM
I would definately like to see some more pics, and my only other question would be in regards to the tod would different tire sizes cause some trouble with that? ...x

AREA 51
06/18/2003, 07:23 AM
i wannan put hydraulics on mine and MAKE IT JUMP!!!:clap: ;puke2;

hchen
06/18/2003, 09:30 AM
hahah hydraulics....yea that would be a sight to see. my boys tell me to do that all the time...or at least airbags. get draulics, i think you'll be the first =P oh yea and dont forget the 14 inch rims

grober02
06/18/2003, 10:01 AM
I uploaded 3 more pics of my wheels. Sorry, I'm not the best photographer. -X-. are you referring to Torque-On-Demand (TOD)?

Cyrk
06/18/2003, 10:54 AM
Nice wheels!

are they Bazos?

Very nice.

-Dave

-x-
06/18/2003, 12:59 PM
im under the impression that different tire sizes are a no-no in our case...x

WormGod
06/18/2003, 01:02 PM
Ah, I see. I wasnt sure someone here actually considers slamming theirs. In that case, you may as well pull out the torch and forget all aftermarket products, heh. Notch the frame and bolt from there. Tub out the rear too, heh.

I wont knock it, I actually think it could look pretty cool. I think handling would blow wet socks, but that all depends on your style of driving too. ;)

And where is the negativity here? We are all criticisors and I (personally) like to hear back pats and pie throwing when it comes to ideas. If it came from anyone OTHER THAN a VX owner, I would tell them where they can stick it, heh. I would ask for no advice or criticism about my VX from anyone other than another VX owner. Doesnt mean I'd listen, but the point is taken, hehe. :thumbdn: :thumbup:

hchen
06/18/2003, 02:51 PM
haha slamming would actually make handling crazy good...but it's impossible to slam it. a 2 inch drop would increase handling capabilities by a lot tho.

stiiiiiiiiiiillllllllll seeeeeeeearching!

mrtew
06/18/2003, 07:46 PM
I lowered mine and it drives just fine! The only problem is the back seat passengers have the differential and rear axel on their laps. :-]

http://homepage.mac.com/mrtew/VCRslammed.jpg

hchen
06/19/2003, 07:07 AM
hahhahahahahaahahahahaaha

yea i saw that pic before. now if that was only possible....i think it looks sick...i guess 'cause i come from an import background. well...maybe with airbags we could get a good drop and lift but it'll mess up the handling so that's a no no for me. good photochop tho =P

WormGod
06/19/2003, 08:06 AM
mrtew, funny how it looks like a Volvo when lowered like that, heh. I thought that when i used your image to see what it would look like in Ebony.

I will admit, if I had 2 VX's, I might be tempted to take the torch to one and make her a street glider. What a Sunday driving vehicle that would be, heh.

TimG
06/19/2003, 05:44 PM
First off, Tim youre annoying as hell. i think it's about time when you quit it with your "wise" comments and start acting your age. if you have nothing constructive to say just keep your mouth shut 'cause frankly, im gettin sick of coming across them 'cause it seems like you have no life and most of your day revolves around following my posts and trying to rag on what i say.

Dude, what happened? You were doing so well the first sentence.
You had good capitalization, good punctuation, and good grammar.
Then, it all went down hill. Well, it was a nice try. Keep at it.
Just look at how most of the other people write on here and if you
try really really hard, you may someday learn how to write intelligible
posts that won't leave people wondering what you are trying to say.

I mean come on, you mispelled one of your made up words.

hchen
06/19/2003, 10:12 PM
yea you talking about intelligent to someone who's holding a 3.8 GPA at his university. real good stuff kid. now take your trashtalking act elsewhere 'cause i think it's gettin old, like you. so please, just fade away. i choose to type this way and i will continue doing so 'cause i'd rather not bother with correctin my mistakes or typing properly unless youre gonna give me a grade on my transcript so take your wiseass remarks and shove it son.

WormGod
06/20/2003, 07:31 AM
Thats great and all that you all want to have a fight, but do it through email would ya. I dont wanna hear it, neither does anyone else who came to this thread looking for lowering information. Thanks.

hchen, have you lowered the front end at all on your VX? I dropped the torque down about 1" and, I wouldnt say it got "better" handling, but it did get a lot tighter. That in turn just caused a lot of bounce in the suspension. I am sure this could be remedied with softer shock or such in the front. Wishing I had the time and money to find all of this out right now. :D

xdfarrx
06/20/2003, 07:43 AM
damn- yall be sprayin at each other like you don't like each other. get overr it hchen...lowering the vx; from what tone wrote a while back it would be tough cause the clearance between the axle and chassis is tight- take a gander in the rear and you will see. The rubber stops are pretty close.... I was thinking if you do it right rock an air bag package...you know, I'm in this venice beach steez, -throw a 3 wheel motion, thats what im sayin'- Another thing too when you throw your dueces on there its gonna tighten your vx even more, no shoulder on the tires, turn in will be much tighter. let us know the word when you do it...you should check out dyanni's vx- he rollin 20's and it looks tough
peace

hchen
06/20/2003, 09:55 AM
nah i havent dropped the front end yet. dont plan on doing so 'cause it will make the handling worse than before with the lopsidedness. i kno they lower it in japan...i've seen a few done. just cant seem to find the right peopel to talk to. the drop wouldnt be much.

yea rolling on 20's or 22's would be nice....just that im lacking right now with the funds. hahaha.

-x-
06/21/2003, 07:35 AM
Anyhow in my case im not to into the low profile on 20" + size rims, so i would get a bigger tire or the biggest tire possible. Which (correct me if im mistaken) would fill a good amount of the gap. say 45-55 series type tire? I dont know, i think ima take a trip to our local rent a rim shop and let them throw some ideas around....x

TimG
06/21/2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by WormGod
Thats great and all that you all want to have a fight, but do it through email would ya. I dont wanna hear it, neither does anyone else who came to this thread looking for lowering information. Thanks.

Sorry, can't do that. I'm trying to help this gentleman and any others like him out.

yea you talking about intelligent to someone who's holding a 3.8 GPA at his university. real good stuff kid. now take your trashtalking act elsewhere 'cause i think it's gettin old, like you. so please, just fade away. i choose to type this way and i will continue doing so 'cause i'd rather not bother with correctin my mistakes or typing properly unless youre gonna give me a grade on my transcript so take your wiseass remarks and shove it son.

I don't doubt you have a 3.8 GPA. But I would have never known unless you told me because frankly, you post like you are using AOL Instant Messenger. The way you communicate is fine for IMs, because IMs are realtime communication and it is more important to get the information out quickly than it is to get it out precisely.

This forum, on the other hand, is not a real time conversation (usually). It is intended to be a repository for information about the VehiCROSS. When someone who doesn't speak ebonics (or whatever the heck it is you speak) comes here and tries to get information about a particular question that you have asked/answered, the way you write makes it difficult to figure out what you are trying to say. I'm not talking about native English speakers here. Realistically, I can understand everything you have posted (with one exception), but it takes longer to read one of your posts than it does to read one that is written correctly. I'm talking about people (from Japan or Russia maybe) who, while they may be able to speak, read, and write English, they have no hope of understanding your region specific slang.

Also, capitalization and punctuation are very important in making what you have to say clear to the reader. They make it easier to tell at a glance where sentences start and end. It doesn't take that long to post an easy to read message, and it makes it so much easier on your readers. I can't fathom why anyone would be so inconsiderate as to post like you do.

But hey, if you really want to come across as an imbecile, more power to you. I'm sure people will eventually stumble across this thread and find out that you are a really smart guy with a 3.8 GPA (because everyone comes here to figure out how to LOWER The VX). But until they do, most of your readers are going to automatically put you in the same category as IRONBOY79. Anyway, I'm done with this conversation. You're too hard headed to recognize good advice when you see it. Best of luck to you.

coachreed
06/22/2003, 07:10 AM
The "springworks" you are talking about is Valley Spring Works. You can find contact info on their little (crappy, IMO) page at...

http://www.valleyspr.qpg.com/

Basically, all the have to know is the specs on the stock springs... which they do since they can do lifting springs. I looked EVERYWHERE for a set of lowering springs for the back of my best friends '99 Amigo but had no luck... I called them and they said they could do it. The cost for two rear springs to whatever degree of lower/lift was $200. That's what you usually pay for a quality set of four lowering springs for a car that has coils at all four corners... then again, they have to do a custom run. Maybe all of you guys who want to lower could agree on a 2" lowering spring (or whatever) and then contact Valley Spring Works and maybe get a group purchase going.

Hope that helped. Oh, and about the bickering... whats the big deal. Yeah, we are all adults and maybe sometime there is bitching and all amongst us, but if your REALLY mature, you can read right past it. I know I got jumped a couple times when I first came to this board, but its all good now. Think of it as initiation! ;pb; ;Db;

Anyways... TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Joe_Black
06/22/2003, 02:49 PM
Yike, lotta hatin' goin' on in this post! Anyway, thought I'd chime in with some info on the lowering. If you have no intention of going off-road, then look into fitting the front suspension and tranny from a '01 2WD Trooper. You lose the transfer case and all the weight associated with it and the front axle. Plus you can ditch the meager skid plates. Additionally, you pick up some space in the center console where the low-range shifter was. Stick some real cup-holders or something in there. You can also then use the space under the passenger seat where the TOD computer was for audio components or similar. In addition to being a bit quicker on dry pavement you'll be able to actually spin the rear tires since you'll only have 2WD. Plus an extra MPG or three from less driveline drag. Then you can lower away!

You should be able to find all the components you need at a decent salvage yard as soccer moms are killing 2WD Troopers all the time. Plus you should be able to recoup your expenses somewhat by selling your leftover TOD and 4WD components here to people who actually use 'em.

hchen
06/23/2003, 05:38 PM
joe black and coach reed.

thanks for that useful info. i use my 4wd when it snows...really really fun. haha. just never have time or the courage to do some real offroading things like i've seen in those pictures even tho i weave in and out of traffic doing over a buck regularly. i just dun wanna get my VX all scratched up ....but yah

anyways, joe your idea sounds really good but i would want the 4wd and all. but i'll keep it in mind later on 'cause doing burnouts sounds fun too =P

coach, thanks for the info i'll check 'em out.

grober02
07/03/2003, 12:25 PM
Would there be any benefit to replacing the shocks when lowering the VX? I am afraid that lowering the VX may create a really bumpy ride. Would anyone recommend spending the extra money to purchase a new set of factory shocks or Rancho RS9000X when putting the lowering springs on? My '99 VX has about 40k miles with original shocks. You could probably guess that I do not do any off-roading, but does anyone think that the Rancho's offer a smoother street ride vs. a new set of factory shocks?

AlaskaVX
07/03/2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by grober02
does anyone think that the Rancho's offer a smoother street ride vs. a new set of factory shocks?

DEFINATELY, the stock shocks are stiff and with the Rancho's you can adjust 1-9, if 9 is the highest setting I will guess our stock shocks would be set at 7. This is speculation, I have never owned Rancho 9000's but from what I have been lead to understand is this right.

hchen
07/03/2003, 01:48 PM
i was always told not to get aftermarket shocks for the VX because the OEM shocks are the best for it. but if what you say holds true about the rancho...i might consider getting a set and setting it at 9...stiffer ride wooooot!

kpaske
07/03/2003, 03:36 PM
I have the Ranchos, set at 8, and on the street, the ride is very similar to stock. I haven't really taken my VX offroad since I installed the new shocks, but supposedly that's where the stock shocks should really perform well.

BigMeatVX
07/07/2003, 10:23 PM
ATTN.... All who want to lower the VX.......

YOU CAN LOWER THE VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2-3" lower is ALOT easier than everyone is making it sound....

The "bounce" that some of you have felt, when lowering, is the A-arms bottoming out on the bumpstops.

In the front, all you have to do is remove the bump-stops and trim them with a saw or grinder (I did this on mine to increase the wheel-travel) and turn DOWN the torsien bars a bit...
Also another slick trick is to do a Ball-joint mount flip ON THE LOWER A-ARM, this will allow more up-travel while still using your stock bumpstops and shocks.
To drop it even further than 2" the torsen-bars will need to be re-indexed.

In the rear, the VX has a rather large bump-stop that can be trimmed also, or removed altogether and replaced with a lower profile one (Ive tried both)
Shorter springs can be had at a reasonable cost.
To drop more than 2" in the rear, there is a square-tube piece right above the rear bump-stop that could easily be notched out (w/o sacrificing frame strength), and on the rear axle the "bump-stop pad" on the top side of the axle could be trimmed off for additional clearance.

I have a lot of experiance with the Vehicross' suspension as I have had several different lift kits and shocks on it and ran at several different ride heights, and am always playing with the suspension to achieve maximum articulation.
Also, I am the guy that drove to Calmini Manufacturing to get them to make/install the prototype lift kit they now offer for the VX. (They also offer lowering springs for some other trucks and may be able to help source a good set for the VX)

No, the shocks don't bottom out...it seems Isuzu had the forthought to allow the shocks to travel farther in each direction than the stock suspension components do.

Anyone seriosly interested in "dropping" the VX is more than welcome to e-mail me with questions.....

Allan
VX on 36"ers 4" lift

Tim Burkett
07/08/2003, 08:50 AM
Given the fact that I have OME912s on my 2000 Amigo... which gives me 3.5 inches of lift, and would give a Trooper 2 inches of lift.

so thinking backwards...
I think that the factory Trooper coils give a stock Amigo a minor lift, so could simply replacing the VX springs with Rodeo or Amigo springs actually lower the rear? Depending on the amount of load, there may be some negative effects - but seems much simpler than custom fabbing something. It seems like that would lower the rear somewhat.

any thoughts?

(plus, those springs would be easy to get from junk yards!!!)

WormGod
07/08/2003, 11:06 AM
Cool deal BigMeat! If I finally decide to try this out, I will DEFINATELY give you a hollar. Thanks much!

transio
06/08/2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by TimG
I mean come on, you mispelled one of your made up words. I know this post was made one year ago, but I always like to pick on people for misspelling the word "misspelled" (or derivations thereof). I mean, if you're going to insult the another's ability to spell, be sure to double-check your own before hitting "Submit" !!!

Jay Dunford
06/08/2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by transio
I mean, if you're going to insult the another's ability to spell, be sure to double-check your own before hitting "Submit" !!!

Not sure why you decided to attack someone you don't even know, but you might want to check your grammar before YOU hit submit.

MZ-N10
06/08/2004, 05:55 PM
why r we bringin back dead threads?
________
Laguna Heights Condos Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

transio
06/08/2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Jay Dunford
Not sure why you decided to attack someone you don't even know Attack is kind of a strong word. I was just browsing through the thread and saw this common blunder and felt compelled to pick on the guy, all in good fun. :) Don't be so serious, man!

transio
06/08/2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by MZ-N10
why r we bringin back dead threads? That reminds me. Anyone who's successfully lowered their VX 1 - 2" have any suggestions for new springs on the back? I'm looking for something a little stiffer than stock. Thanks!

WormGod
06/09/2004, 07:35 AM
Still no takers on doing this yet. I have seen a lowered VX in VA, and it was pretty fugly. Mostly because the wheels and tires did not go well with the drop. Looked like he got them off the first gen dropped cars in the early 90's, when it was cool to have wheels and tires sticking out 4" from the wells, and the wheel is actually wider than the tire.

It COULD look ok.... with the right wheel and tire package. I recommend tubbing it out and losing the TOD. :p

transio
06/09/2004, 07:44 AM
Ah, no one else has done it yet? Well you've got a taker. No ifs, ands, or buts. I will lower my VX 1.5 - 2" but I need people's help in getting information.

Here's the setup I'm looking to install:

F/R Wheels: 18 x 10 A/R Mojave Beadlocks or M/T 18 x 9.5 Classic Locks (Offset: ??mm)
F/R Tires: 285-60 r18 Nitto TerraGrapplers
Frnt Shocks: Not sure. Stock travel is 10.24" - 15.35", so something ~9" - ~14"
Rear Shocks: Not sure. Stock travel is 12.56" - 19.25", so something ~11" - ~18"
Frnt Springs: Not sure. Either will stay stock w/ torsion bars, or get new torsion bars, or maybe switch to coil-overs?
Rear Springs: Custom. I will call Valley Spring Works this week.
Other: Not sure. Advice is appreciated.

I think I'll do this in the following order:

Figure out what the heck I need and order the suspension components.
Trim or grind the bumpstops using BigMeat's method. This shouldn't affect anything in the current suspension setup, and could be done in a couple hours, hopefully.
Install new shocks and springs in back, and install new shocks and tighten (or replace) torsion bars up front. Remount ball-joint if necessary. This could probably be accomplished in a day.
Down the road, figure out what wheels / tires I can fit and order and install new wheels and tires. I decided to get new wheels, too, because my stockers are peeling on the inside, and it will be a hassle to have my car on blocks for a week while I have the wheels getting refinished. Anyhow, that's a different thread.
Make other tweaks to the suspension for add'l rigidity as necessary.

Ok, so that's what I've got so far. I will be the first to admit that my knowledge is a bit limited. I've done some of these tasks individually, but never all at once. That's why I want to break it up into phases as much as possible. If anyone can offer ANY advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!

erslincoln
06/10/2004, 07:41 AM
I don't know if it's been said, or not, and I can't be bothered sifting through all of the crap on this thread, but in lowering the front end, you might consider finding a pair of 2WD Trooper torsion bars. They are softer than the 4WD ones, and if you were to crank them down, they'd be tamer on the stiffness.

Also, you could replace your front shocks with Gabriel HiJackers, as they are air-adjustable. If you ran 'em at around 85psi, it'd be nice and soft.

I second the Valley Spring Works post made earlier. Just tell them what springs you have, and tell them how much shorter you want them to be.

The nice thing about TOD is that it'll matter less that it's lowered than it would on a traditional t-case.

Or, just disconnect your front driveshaft altogether. It'd net you some more economy and acceleration, especially if you don't use 4WD very often, if ever. It would effectively be a 2WD then, of course, but if you're using it as a pavement pounder anyway, it doesn't really matter. Another gain is that you probably wouldn't go through front tires as quickly, either. I dunno. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference unless you got manual hubs. It's hard to say.

You could always reconnect it if you go to sell it.

transio
06/10/2004, 02:51 PM
Eric,

Thanks for the advice. I'm determined not to use "junkyard parts" for this project, though. I also don't want soft. I'll call Valley and see what they suggest.

CrzyFool
08/15/2005, 10:47 PM
Back in 2003 I lowered the front end using the torsion bar and yes, I CUT the rear springs (Bought an extra set just in case) My VX looks sweet lowered down 2" on my 20'' Enkei's and I corner better. However, my ride is harsh. Luckily, my *** can take it :-)

Maugan_VX
08/16/2005, 04:33 AM
Lowering your vehicle is illegal in 48 states you know.

transio
08/16/2005, 07:53 AM
Lowering your vehicle is illegal in 48 states you know.What about lifting it? :p

transio
08/16/2005, 07:59 AM
By the way, I have something important to add to this...

After over ONE YEAR, VALLEY SPRING WORKS hasn't lived up to their word and replaced the springs that they made incorrectly for me: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4631

They've made many promises, but I never received a new set of springs.

I'm still out $270 bucks, and they don't seem to care.

I now would recommend that no one do business with them in the future.

EDIT: Their web page has been taken down, but I got their address and phone through Google's cache:

Valley Spring Works
340 Industrial Way Bldg B Suite G
Dixon, CA 95620-9207
Phone: (707)678-3944

WormGod
08/18/2005, 12:09 PM
What about lifting it? :p

Technically, nearly ANY mod made to a vehicle is illegal. It's a matter of "enforcement". Don't bring attention to yourself and you are safe. ;)

transio
08/19/2005, 06:42 AM
PPS - I have yet another call into Valley... They don't even pick up the phones now. I left a message that wasn't returned.

SPAZZ
08/19/2005, 01:42 PM
anyone who doesn't want their stock front shocks, I will be happy to take them. I will pay shipping. just PM me.