PDA

View Full Version : Texas: I wasn't aware of all this

johnnyapollo
02/29/2008, 05:34 AM
http://www.newsweek.com/id/116784

After breathing in the foul air here in Atlanta it's unbelieveable that there's someplace as large as Texas that could be worse.

-- John

geshaw30
02/29/2008, 08:07 AM
Yup. It's as nasty as you can get. For all you poor souls who foolishly believe that your air quality is as bad as it can get I suggest you step outside and take a big deep gulp of the neighborhood atmosphere and understand that your quality is vastly superior to the exposure we get down here. You pale by comparision. In fact you're not even in our league. There are days you can actually taste the air.

My wife suffers from lymphangioleiomyomatosis ( www.thelamfoundation.org ) a rare disease
for which there is no cure. She fights every day to overcome this sludge flowing through her lungs. We have wrestled with moving for years but family needs stop us. So for the most part we hide inside on days that require such action.

As a lad who grew up with New England air this Houston pollution is a daily irritant... in every way possible.

Very sore subject in my life.

nfpgasmask
02/29/2008, 08:46 AM
Something has got to change. Just this morning I stepped out onto my back porch and gulped in as many big lungfulls of that fresh smelling, chilly Zephyr breeze that rolls into Reno every day. I don't miss Chicago at all, but it sounds like Texas isn't far from Hong Kong.

Bart

mbeach
02/29/2008, 08:52 AM
Believe it or not, Fairbanks Alaska also has some of the dirtiest air in the country - during the winter.
We get fined a few times a year for exceeding some federal limit on pollutants.
The extreme cold traps all of the particulates from wood/coal burning and the many diesel engines right next to the ground, where poor souls can breathe it in.
I live about 1400' above the valley floor, and air quality is noticeably better than it is right in town.

It's a shame that the simple acts of living and getting to work have made breathing such a chore for so many.
Last year my Doc put the wife and I on Singulair, but then last night I saw a show that said that Singulair can make you suicidal. I guess that we can't win anywhere.

Scott Harness
02/29/2008, 09:19 AM
Dallas isn't as bad as Houston. We have about 10 bad air days in the summer. I live in the older part of town where there isn't as much traffic,plus lots of trees. I noticed on the ozone map,that the busier side of town is worse. (northside) Just to many people.:mad:

LittleBeast
02/29/2008, 11:57 AM
Dallas isn't as bad as Houston. We have about 10 bad air days in the summer. I live in the older part of town where there isn't as much traffic,plus lots of trees. I noticed on the ozone map,that the busier side of town is worse. (northside) Just to many people.:mad:

Yes you are completely right, and when I go home to see my family in Waco it is literally a breath of fresh air. I can see sheets and sheets of stars at night there and here in Houston you are lucky to see 3..... Sad, but there are pluses and minuses to ever location and situation, to each there own.

Pepino
02/29/2008, 12:02 PM
well Mexico city from what i remember at least it had the world record of the most poluted city in the world and believe me every time i got down there i get sick just by stepping off the plane, it smells bad in most of the city and when your plane is landing you can see the thick layer of smoke that divides the blue sky and the brown smog around the city!
still i love mexico city and its not like that in the whole city, where i live its completly blue sky and pretty lol

don moore
02/29/2008, 12:06 PM
i was in mexico city last your ..yuck on the air ...when we flew in i was looking out the window and saw a big brown cloud around the city...
did you know they is atleast 5 million cars at any givin time driving around in the citry...oh they have 35 million people in the city also..:smilegray

Pepino
02/29/2008, 12:08 PM
ya im from there i know that lol not only that we are the only country in the world that if your car isnt new you cant drive it every day, every day there is a different number that if you have it on the last number of your license plate you cant drive

JHarris1385
02/29/2008, 12:45 PM
mbeach - I want to kill myself I just started singulair 2 weeks ago.

tomdietrying
02/29/2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah, coal plants.....don't let them fool you are BAD news. They are trying their best to promote coal as the alternative energy. The pollution is unbelievable from those things. We have too many coal plants in Texas, and I think the state just passed legislation for three more.
Peace.
Tom