PDA

View Full Version : A little help...LIFT?????

Triathlete
02/28/2008, 10:19 PM
Littlebeast is planning on lifting his VX. He asked me to help him find my write up. After some searching I found it, however, when I click on the link it takes me to the "How To's" page. But I can not find it anywhere in there.

I know a few people have hosted the write up on their sites. Sorry I can't remember who. But if you are one of those people could you please forward the site addy to Littlebeast?
Thanks.

LittleBeast
02/29/2008, 11:48 AM
Yes please any help would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

JHarris1385
02/29/2008, 12:41 PM
Its pretty simple. planetisuzu has what you need too.

LittleBeast
02/29/2008, 12:57 PM
Its pretty simple. planetisuzu has what you need too.

Still haven't found a how to on the 912s, torsion bars are easy, but I am a little uncertain about the rear. Thanks

JHarris1385
02/29/2008, 03:26 PM
Lift up the rear and slide out the old ones and pop in the new ones. Its easy. I did it withing 30-45 minutes total.

For me I went the spazz way and put a small block of wood on the jack and lifted it by the gas tank.

Just be sure to unbold the shocks first. Its truely very easy.

Ldub
02/29/2008, 10:56 PM
Remember to use jack stands.

And always bring a towel.:smilewink (go watch Southpark)

Also, pay attention to the orientation of the springs as you remove them, (and put the new springs in the same way) there IS a top & bottom.

They only go in correctly one way.

If you would like some help installing in Moab, let me know, I travel with more tools than many gas stations have, including on-board air & air ratchets etc.

I also have a set of "used less than a year" OME 912's for sale, I told Bart I'd give him first dibs on them, but if he passes, they're up for grabs.

$100 includes 2 springs & me doing the bulk of the install & T-bar crank.

Also also, douche the torsion bar adjusters real good with liquid wrench or PB Blaster before you head for Moab if the install is going to be done there. (No matter who is doing it, they'll thank you)

Kenny
03/01/2008, 04:39 PM
torsion bar info:
http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm?id=117&Isuzu_Torsion_Bar_Adjustment

spring threads:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1477&highlight=spring
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1470&highlight=spring

Triathlete
03/01/2008, 04:52 PM
As long as you guys have the tools I can lend a hand also. Although I do need to squeeze a few runs in while I am up there...my coach wouldn't allow me to take a week completely off!:frowny::laugho:
What day are you getting there and when are you planning on doing the lift? I think with all of us that have done the lift we shouldn't have any problems. Just remember you'll need to get an alignment done right afterwards so you might want to check the web and see what Moab has to offer, their hours of buisness and all that good stuff.

LittleBeast
03/01/2008, 09:38 PM
So if I jack up the back enough for the tires to be off the ground after unbolting the bottom of the shocks I should not need a spring compressor? I have one good jack and two jack stands I should be able to figure that out. Do I remember someone jacking up the whole back end at once safely using a jack and some wood on the gas tank? That just doesn't sound safe to me. Wish I could run out and visualise this under the VX but it is back at the transmission shop again. Thanks for the help guys I can't wait to get those 912s in. Do I remember some one suggesting using HD zip ties to hold these correctly seated in the event of serious down travel? Ordered the 912s wednesday, but thanks for the offer of 2nd dibs. Soon as AAMCO fixes their mess I will get on this and put some pics up.

Ldub
03/02/2008, 12:06 AM
So if I jack up the back enough for the tires to be off the ground after unbolting the bottom of the shocks I should not need a spring compressor? I have one good jack and two jack stands I should be able to figure that out. Do I remember someone jacking up the whole back end at once safely using a jack and some wood on the gas tank? That just doesn't sound safe to me.

No spring compressor needed dude...consider the fact that the block of wood on the gas tank advice came from someone who is a first gen. wrench, & was passing along the advice from someone who calls themself SPAZZ...if you can't figure out whats real, well...:rolleyesg I got nothin' more to say...except, always jack on (not off) solid lift points, like frame or axle, & ALWAYS use jack stands.:_wrench:

Also, if you have jackstands under the frame, you can move the axle up and/or down with the floor jack to facilitate (nice wurd eh?) alignment of lower shock mounts.

JHarris1385
03/02/2008, 04:43 PM
The gas tank method was quick and simple.

Zip ties were used when you install longer shocks.

nfpgasmask
03/03/2008, 08:52 AM
Since I have the hitch mount, I suppose I could use that as a lift point when I get around to lifting?

Bart

etlsport
03/03/2008, 09:15 AM
i used tone's hitch to lift my vx off of a rock in a pinch.. but he rates the tounge weight at 500 lbs.. i dunno seems risky... why not just lift by the differential and put jack stands back there, if the wheels are off like they need to be to get to the springs you shouldnt have a problem

JHarris1385
03/03/2008, 09:29 AM
I kept my wheels on. Just get underneath pull them out and put the new ones in.

Triathlete
03/03/2008, 09:34 AM
Lifting by the diff will keep the springs compressed making them really really really really really difficult to remove.:rotate:
However, you could lift it at the diff, place jackstands under the frame rails and then lower the jack to drop the diff to full droop (after removing the shock bolt). Then the the springs will drop right out!

etlsport
03/03/2008, 09:35 AM
Lifting by the diff will keep the springs compressed making them really really really really really difficult to remove.:rotate:
However, you could lift it at the diff, place jackstands under the frame rails and then lower the jack to drop the diff to full droop (after removing the shock bolt). Then the the springs will drop right out!

yah! thats what i meant.. just forgot to add in the part about lowering the jack after placing the jackstands:thumbup: