PDA

View Full Version : transmission problem

jdm monkey
02/28/2008, 02:21 PM
when accelerating kinda hard from a stop, I feel the transmission slips which causes a jerk when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Anybody experienced this before? What do you guys think is the problem?

jdm monkey
02/28/2008, 02:25 PM
Oh it doesn't do it at soft acceleration and its smooth when cruising

Francesco Rizzo
02/28/2008, 02:36 PM
hmmm.. what are the tod lights indicating and how is tire tread/pressure levels?

tom4bren
02/28/2008, 02:39 PM
I've never had any tranny problems but is kinda sounds like the shift sensor problem that others have had. Look for threads titled with transmission problems or for shift sensor.

jdm monkey
02/28/2008, 02:54 PM
thnaks for the replies, tire pressure is ok, I don't know if its related but the check light comes on every now and then under the tod indicator

LittleBeast
02/28/2008, 03:48 PM
THIS IS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM I HAVE BEEN HAVING for the last couple of weeks and since I just had the tranny rebuilt a few months ago I took it back into the shop for the warranty service and we will see what they say..... I just dropped it off today, I will keep you updated, but this should not end up costing me anything since I bought their $400 4 year warranty on the tranny after the rebuild. Once again this sounds exactly like what I have been experiencing only from a stand still or when downshifting back into 1st, sometimes it goes from just "slipping" to "jerking" in and out of 1st when accelerating..... Weird.

LittleBeast
02/29/2008, 12:48 PM
So let's revisit my last trans thread:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12112
and the terrible update: AAMCO "fixed" a leak in a coolant hose the same day I picked up the VX, and low and behold, right now the SAME HOSE THEY JUST "FIXED" has another leak!!!!! They just "fixed" this same hose two months ago right after they just completely rebuilt the transmission and the guys I had do the oil change pointed it out to me. Now, it is 3 quarts LOW on trans fluid and is shaking going into 1st. This was a low tranny fluid problem and was caused because they did not fix this problem last time when I asked them to!!!!!! So guess what????? They are right now dropping the transmission again and repairing the internal parts that are damaged that are causing this shaking. This should be totally covered by my warranty..... It better be I am about to my limit of nice guy treatment.....

LittleBeast
02/29/2008, 12:53 PM
So in summary I think you definitely are low on trans fluid and have been for a while, and you might have a trans fluid leak. First place to look is at the two coolant lines at the front of the VX. If you lay down under the front bumper and are directly in the middle of the VX the two black hoses connecting to metal lines are a little towards the passenger side and as close to the bumper as possible. If you see red fluid anywhere around there I would be concerned. Get that trans filled ASAP.

bkvx
04/17/2008, 09:43 AM
I have been having the same problem, if I accelerate from a stop the rpm will jump to 3-4000 rpm and had problems i believe shifting from 1st to 2nd, if i put on the power button it helps reduce this nasty problem but im not sure maybe its the tranny?

Ldub
04/17/2008, 10:29 AM
Sounds like low fluid level to me too...

I never get tired of posting this...:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

rocket man
04/19/2008, 06:48 PM
Yep..it sounds symtomatic to low fluid level related problems.

The only way to check is to get under the car and on the transmission valve body oil pan are two screw plugs. Unscrew the one that is in the corner and higher than the other. Check it..... when its warm, You don't have to run it on the freeway but get it warm then put it in park, set the brake withTHE ENGINE RUNNING. Climb under the car and unscrew the plug.. If fluid starts to immediately start to come out... then the fluid level is fine....If it doesn't then you need to add fluid..

Its very awkward to add fluid without a "low boy" oiling system like you see in transmission shops. So bring rags it can be a little messy

Go to AutoZone and get a "gear oil" pump (about $10)..Looks like a giant hypodermic syringe for a dinosaur:eek: It comes with a clear plastic tube. Attach the plastic tube to the pump and be sure to taper the other end on the tip of the tube with a knife or razor blade as the plug hole is a tad too small for the tube. The pump will hold about 1/2 to 4/5's of a quart.

Once it starts leaking out reinstall the plug..You'll probably have a small puddle of oil on the floor by this time...take the opportunity to take a "wiff" and see if it has a "burned" smell. Also is it red or light brown? That is good...dark brown that's bad. The smell when its bad is identical to that smell you get when an electrical appliance shorts out, like a blender or mixer and there's a flash then phifffftt!!

If you get the "check trans" light take it to a dealer and have him put it on the meter and pull the trouble codes. If it is just low on fluid then you need to find out where its leaking from??? Its a completly closed non modulated system and it does not evaporte.

On the other hand if the fluid is up...probably best to have a mechanic look at it anyway and advise.

Good luck
J

WILLY
04/20/2008, 08:54 AM
So in summary I think you definitely are low on trans fluid and have been for a while, and you might have a trans fluid leak. First place to look is at the two coolant lines at the front of the VX. If you lay down under the front bumper and are directly in the middle of the VX the two black hoses connecting to metal lines are a little towards the passenger side and as close to the bumper as possible. If you see red fluid anywhere around there I would be concerned. Get that trans filled ASAP.

more than likely u have the spring style hose clamps like i had when i found mine leaking so i replaced them with the screw style clamps and no more leaking.:bgwp:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/05-Photo_5.jpg

MarjieJ
06/10/2008, 05:27 PM
Hi All,

I had a 1999 VX since July 2007. I have not had any problems with her so far, well nothing to really worry about. (I hope!) Forgive me, but I'm a women that doesn't know much about cars, but I love my VX and want to know how to take care of it without spending a fortune. On occasion I catch the transmission jerking. It appears to be some kind of sensor problem cause when I look on the dashboard it will show the car's in 3rd when the transmission is in drive. When I wanted to check the transmission fluid, it appears that I also have a problem with the hood opener inside the car. When you pull the clutch, it doesn't click. It take 2 people to open the hood, one on the inside and one pushing on the hood. Finally, I don't see where one can check the tranny fluid on the 1999 model. The books just states to get it changed at the dealership. Can anyone give me any tips?

Marjie

kpaske
06/10/2008, 08:05 PM
Ditto on replacing the "spring" style hose clamps at the two high pressure lines just under the radiator on the passenger side. They tend to wear out after some time, and since the shop probably removed them when they flushed all the fluid out of the system, this is likely the spot where you are getting some leakage.

Ldub
06/11/2008, 07:18 AM
Hi All,

I had a 1999 VX since July 2007. I have not had any problems with her so far, well nothing to really worry about. (I hope!) Forgive me, but I'm a women that doesn't know much about cars, but I love my VX and want to know how to take care of it without spending a fortune. On occasion I catch the transmission jerking. It appears to be some kind of sensor problem cause when I look on the dashboard it will show the car's in 3rd when the transmission is in drive. When I wanted to check the transmission fluid, it appears that I also have a problem with the hood opener inside the car. When you pull the clutch, it doesn't click. It take 2 people to open the hood, one on the inside and one pushing on the hood. Finally, I don't see where one can check the tranny fluid on the 1999 model. The books just states to get it changed at the dealership. Can anyone give me any tips?

Marjie

See post #10 in this thread for instructions on checking trans fluid level...:_wrench:

The jerking & false indicator is most likely the mode position switch...do a forums search for more info on that.
Also, search for Merlins 800 # (St. Charles Isuzu) to get the be$t price on a replacement.

Cobrajet
06/11/2008, 04:22 PM
it appears that I also have a problem with the hood opener inside the car. When you pull the clutch, it doesn't click. It take 2 people to open the hood, one on the inside and one pushing on the hood.This is not uncommon. I had this problem, and spent a lot of time adjusting the catch before the hood would release enough for me to open it single-handedly. In the meantime, I found that I had to jam a piece of foam rubber under the pulled handle in order to be able to get out and open the hood. My hood still doesn't "pop" up like most hoods because there is no sping to push the hood up. Good luck getting it adjusted correctly.

SoTxVx
03/18/2009, 02:47 PM
I have had a slow leak from the selector shaft seal and rear seal that leaked enough to cause problems. The VX would slam into second gear when accelerating hard from a stop. Slow acceleration would not be a problem. Before replacing the mode switch make sure your fluid level is okay. Topping off the fluid level made the hard shifting/slamming into 2nd gear go away. Now to fix the selector shaft seal and rear seal.

SoTxVx

blujfan9293
05/12/2009, 09:49 AM
similarly, my slips (actually, delays "kicking in" from a stop) but I'll feel slippage when gassing on the highway.

I just picked my VX last week; it has been inop for 6 months sitting outside at a mechanic shop. I didn't drive it much before, so doen't remember if was a problem, and had a 100% fluid service Oct 30. I do have a check engine light, but I am in VA and the mechanic is in iL, sowould have to pay for a diagnositic.

There is a delay in the transmission engaging fully. I will accelerate from a stop and it will move, then it feels like it drops into gear, and kicks hard; a feeling and sound like the tranny will soon literally drop off the VX.

I will check the fluid, as recommended in a few posts.

also, my cruise doesn't work with the replacement engine, although the dash notice lights up "cruise control" when I push the dash button, no cruise. Perhaps an easy fix??

tom4bren
05/12/2009, 10:01 AM
"My hood still doesn't "pop" up like most hoods because there is no sping to push the hood up."

Try unscrewing the rubber stops for the hood (about 1/2 turn should do it).

"I do have a check engine light, but I am in VA and the mechanic is in iL, sowould have to pay for a diagnositic."

AutoZone will read the code for free. Is your CEL on or flashing?

blujfan9293
05/12/2009, 01:11 PM
it is on constantly

blujfan9293
05/16/2009, 04:28 PM
transmission kick is actually the Torque on Demand kicking in when I acceleratie from a stop; big delay then a thunk

AutoZone says my EGR is bad??