PDA

View Full Version : power mode

zadam123
02/26/2008, 05:09 PM
anyone know what to check if my power mode button dont light up on the dash and i am not feeling a diffrence in power pushed in or nor?

mdwyer
02/26/2008, 05:52 PM
anyone know what to check if my power mode button dont light up on the dash and i am not feeling a diffrence in power pushed in or nor?

Where to start? Well, you won't necessarily feel a difference in power -- it just changes where the shift points are. I've noticed that it even changes the shift-points while you're parked. Try turning it on while idling in (D). In my experience it causes the transmission to 'clunk' a few seconds later as it downshifts. The RPM might change a little, too. The clunk is a couple seconds after you press the button.

If you aren't getting that, I'd start searching for electrical problems. I believe that the button only goes a couple inches away to the computer below the CD-player. Snapping off the cover and making sure the computer is tightly plugged in probably wouldn't hurt.

Y33TREKker
02/26/2008, 10:03 PM
Is it just the "Power" mode button, or does pushing the "Winter" mode button not turn on it's indicator light either? And what about the lights under the buttons/switches themselves; do they light up when all other dash and console lights are on? If you get no illumination for the switches, I'd suspect a loose harness connection resulting in a loss of power supply or ground, but if you get illumination of the switches and no dash indicator light, it may be a PCM problem.

Ldub
02/27/2008, 04:55 AM
Burnt out bulb ?

WormGod
02/27/2008, 07:59 AM
I had this happen a few years ago. I was also in the middle of doing some stereo work and had the battery disconnected for a couple hours. Upon reconnecting the battery, the light worked fine.

Maybe the brains need a battery reflash? *shrug*

Worked for me.... worth a try for starters. Seemed to be an isolated, freak incident, but it has not returned.

tom4bren
02/27/2008, 11:19 AM
"you won't necessarily feel a difference in power -- it just changes where the shift points are."

Absolutely.

The only time I've used mine was while towing. The change in shift points helped to downshift on hills - made a big difference. Soooo....

Try a hard acceleration from stop all the way up to cruising speed with the switch off. Try it again with the switch on. Pay attention to the shift points & look for any change.

Other than that, I'll second the motion to do a computer reset first since that's easiest. Just disconnect the battery for 30 minutes - reconnect & try 'er out.

Second, check all fuses (next easiest)

Third, start tracing the wires from the switch to the computer looking for broken or frayed wires or loose connectors.

After that, I haven't a clue.

Be sure to post whatever you find.

nfpgasmask
02/27/2008, 02:27 PM
I honestly have to disagree with the sentiment that you do not feel a power increase. When I drive in Power Mode, especially at highway speeds, I feel a much faster response time when I accelerate, as well as faster acceleration.

Bart

mdwyer
02/27/2008, 06:52 PM
I honestly have to disagree with the sentiment that you do not feel a power increase. When I drive in Power Mode, especially at highway speeds, I feel a much faster response time when I accelerate, as well as faster acceleration.

Well, maybe I said that wrong. It doesn't make the engine any more powerful, it just keeps it in a lower gear for longer, and drops into a lower gear more easily.

Aside from the idle test, the other place you will see the power button do anything is when you're on the highway, climbing up hill. If you punch the power button then, the transmission will drop into a lower gear. If you turn the switch off, it will drop back into high.

When power mode is off, the shift points are too conservative, in my not-so-humble opinion -- especially at highway speeds. You really have to stomp on the pedal to get it to downshift. So, I usually drive with power mode on. I like it to just GO when I press the gas. I don't want it to sit there and ponder.

No power button:
"Go!"
"Give me a second...I'm sure I can get an extra 5MPH from this gear..."
"Yeah, but it'll take you a half mile and the better part of a minute! I need to pass this guy NOW, before I get blocked by the guy with six tons of hay on the trailer!"
"Okay, okay, I suppose I'll drop into passing gear..."

Power button:
"Go!"
"Gone."

nfpgasmask
02/27/2008, 08:22 PM
No power button:
"Go!"
"Give me a second...I'm sure I can get an extra 5MPH from this gear..."
"Yeah, but it'll take you a half mile and the better part of a minute! I need to pass this guy NOW, before I get blocked by the guy with six tons of hay on the trailer!"
"Okay, okay, I suppose I'll drop into passing gear..."

Power button:
"Go!"
"Gone."

That is what I mean! ;)

Bart

tom4bren
02/28/2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah,

Whoa - what was that black streak that just went by...:)

Must be on his way to Moab...

But why was he wearing a gasmask?

Ida know:)

Sorry - killing time waiting on a phone call

nfpgasmask
02/28/2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah,

Whoa - what was that black streak that just went by...:)

Must be on his way to Moab...

But why was he wearing a gasmask?

Ida know:)

Sorry - killing time waiting on a phone call

Well, not quite THAT fast! ;)

Bart

don moore
02/28/2008, 10:15 PM
so..Im new to all this fancy auto stuff..
so I can push the power button while im driving down the road?
what will i gain?
will it mess up my trany?
thx
-----------------------------------------

Ldub
02/29/2008, 04:13 AM
what will i gain?
thx
-----------------------------------------

Yes

Snappier acceleration...it raises the shift points

No

nfpgasmask
02/29/2008, 08:28 AM
what will i gain?
thx

Here's what I do:

As I approach the on ramp to the highway, I grit my teeth, grasp the wheel until my knuckles go white, cringe and simply voice the command "POWER PLEASE". Then suddenly, as if my VX were listening to my order, just like Kit, a blast of power is given forth, and a whisp of thick black tar with two red glowing eyes streaks through the troposphere for just a few moments. As the force of the propulsion nearly causes a sudden release of bodily fluids, I leave the Tercels and Super Dutys of the world in a cloud of high desert dust. :)

(Actually, I have been trying to train the wife to press the power button for me, when I say "POWER PLEASE", so that my rediculously childish mind can imagine the above with ease. However, I haven't quite got her to do it for me yet. :bgwg:)

Bart

Y33TREKker
02/29/2008, 09:17 AM
(Actually, I have been trying to train the wife to press the power button for me, when I say "POWER PLEASE", so that my rediculously childish mind can imagine the above with ease. However, I haven't quite got her to do it for me yet. :bgwg:)

Bart

Since the action would benefit the both of you, maybe saying something more along the lines of "Wonder Twins Power Activate!" would achieve the desired result? (Yeah, I'm a cartoon geek from way back in the day).

:bwgy:

nfpgasmask
02/29/2008, 09:52 AM
Since the action would benefit the both of you, maybe saying something more along the lines of "Wonder Twins Power Activate!" would achieve the desired result? (Yeah, I'm a cartoon geek from way back in the day).

:bwgy:

Or better yet: "GO TEAM VENTURE"! :bwgy:

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/7/4/C/go_team_venture.jpg

Bart

don moore
02/29/2008, 11:54 AM
Kool ..I got to train the wife to hit the power button when i say"ENGAGE"...lolhttp://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:qf7lio7NkhZRrM:http://bp3.blogger.com/_-BHtGHAYUDQ/R14VLdd-RSI/AAAAAAAAADM/awJ2erU4sPs/s400/picard.gif

Ldub
02/29/2008, 02:41 PM
Kool ..I got to train the wife to hit the power button when i say"ENGAGE"...lolhttp://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:qf7lio7NkhZRrM:http://bp3.blogger.com/_-BHtGHAYUDQ/R14VLdd-RSI/AAAAAAAAADM/awJ2erU4sPs/s400/picard.gif

Or... you could just leave it on all the time. :rolleyesg

I've had mine on for four years + with no ill effect. :smilewink

tom4bren
02/29/2008, 03:27 PM
"so I can push the power button while im driving down the road?
what will i gain?
will it mess up my trany?"

Yes, you can push the power button at any time. There will be no ill effects to your tranny. It's a firmware change triggered by pressing the button so it's all electronic.

I'm not sure if it raises the shift points, lowers the shift points or spreads them out. All I know is that it 'feels' like it has more power just because you can downshift easier.

don moore
02/29/2008, 10:55 PM
thx guys...
I tried it today and it use to shift around 3500 ..and in power mode and some getup and go it shifts around 5000...

:smilewink

mdwyer
03/01/2008, 12:20 AM
I'm not sure if it raises the shift points, lowers the shift points or spreads them out. All I know is that it 'feels' like it has more power just because you can downshift easier.

The tech manual has a table showing the speeds of the shift points on pages 7A-24 and 7A-25, if you're following along at home. Fact is, I can't understand it, though.

7A1-7 has the pretty chart. It makes a bit more sense.

WormGod
03/03/2008, 08:00 AM
Toyed around with the Power use this weekend. I have had it on for as long as I can remember so I don't even recall the lower RPM shift points and how they felt. Especially since I put in the S/C. In all seriousness, I previously really had no clue as to "how the VX operates with Power OFF".

So, I turned it off and headed out on the backroads and the highway. Damn, I gotta say, it shifts so much smoother and elegantly. I couldnt even feel it shifting. It made casual driving very comforting. However, even with the S/C, you can forget quick highway merges and passing. It just wouldnt downshift fast enough and hold the high RPMs before shifting back up to be worth it. With the Power activated, downshifting on acceleration is near instant and holding high RPMs before shifting up (as well as the boost from the S/C) is a very positive reaction for spirited driving.

In conclusion, on days when you have a sweltering need for "driving it like you stole it", Power ON is gonna be your answer. When you are just laid back and looking to have a nice, smooth, relaxed ride, Power OFF gives you just that. And I must say, since I drive the VX like a fragile egg, I have found a liking for the OFF mode. Those light, smooth shifts really have me that Cadillac TOD feeling, heh.

VehiX
07/06/2009, 12:02 AM
Has anyone found a resolution to the original problem posted for this thread? I'm experiencing the same problem now. Power mode light on dash does not illuminate power mode is on. Checked connections and they seem ok.

etlsport
07/06/2009, 01:43 AM
if everything else looks ok i would assume the bulb is out?

samneil2000
07/09/2009, 01:25 PM
I get no lights, but I can tell the power button works like it should. So like others here, I just leave it on. :yesgray:

circmand
07/09/2009, 02:21 PM

Bart

Warp speed Mr Sulu (Way less gay)

SilverBullet75
07/09/2009, 02:31 PM
but HE is... (George Takai)

tworavens
07/18/2009, 05:36 PM

Bart

Gawd that show is funny...got all three seasons on DVD and can't wait for the next!

blacksambo
07/19/2009, 08:40 PM
With power on it shifts smoother and faster in heavy traffic (both upand down). Otherwise, the normal mode is the way to go as the engine gains extra torque in this mode under the higher revs it generates. Simple?