PDA

View Full Version : To the diff droppers - please respond

JHarris1385
02/26/2008, 07:58 AM
My brackets are almost in the line to be cut to be modified for the 2 inch drop. This would have been completed already but the guy working on them had a heart attack late last week.

The problem....I got a brief email from Joe Darlington from Darlington off road and he stated without explaining that anything more than 1.5 inches of drop would give steering interferences.

First what is a steering interference?

Second to all of the diff. droppers out there. Have you noticed anything negative since dropping?

ZEUS
02/26/2008, 11:23 AM
Just guessing here, but maybe there is a very subtle difference between the VX and the Trooper which the kit was intended for. In any case, I have nothing in the way of the steering linkages.

JHarris1385
02/26/2008, 11:28 AM
Good answer. So you do not notice anything different right? Joe is VERY slow to respond and has yet to explain what he meant.

Your also driving without the crossmember right? Any problems that could cuase or did I read that wrong?

Ascinder
02/26/2008, 12:52 PM
My steering has been fine. And thats with much thicker tierods.

JHarris1385
02/26/2008, 12:57 PM
+2 thanks alot. The guy is out of the hospital...going to call to give them the go ahead.

I need to learn how to make the same tie rods as you have. Did you get my reply email yesterday?

Ascinder
02/26/2008, 01:58 PM
Just responded.

ZEUS
02/26/2008, 04:35 PM
Your also driving without the crossmember right? Any problems that could cuase or did I read that wrong?
Yeah, you read it right. I have been too lazy to come up with a way to reinstall the crossmember. Big pot holes make me nervous - I wouldn't recommend being the idiot I am... if you are going to drive without the crossmember for a bit, just slow it down and be extra careful.

JHarris1385
02/27/2008, 07:27 AM
Here is Joe's reply

"I believe the idler arm hits the bracket and depending on the truck there could be some cv intereference with the lower a-arm."

So i guess this is not true to the VX?

tom4bren
02/27/2008, 11:27 AM
"I wouldn't recommend being the idiot I am..."

You KNOW I'll be quoting you on that:):):)

ZEUS
02/27/2008, 02:40 PM
I WOULDN'T EXPECT ANYTHING LESS. Of course, I also know you can relate! :p

Ascinder
02/27/2008, 09:02 PM
I'll see if I can shoot some pics tomorrow of the steering at full locks and in between to show you. Maybe I'll even feel adventurous and try for some video. I am pretty much certain nothing touches anything it's not supposed to.

WiSDoM
03/03/2009, 01:43 PM
I have mine dropped two inches and have not noticed any issues.

tomdietrying
03/03/2009, 04:08 PM
Tom,
How much are your differentials dropped, 2 or 2.5 inches?
Peace.
Tom

tom4bren
03/05/2009, 01:20 PM
J,

I heard the same thing from Joe (NTE 1.5 inch drop). The only thing that didn't work with the 2 inch drop is the breather tube. You'll have to splice in another section or replace with a longer tube (could possibly just re-route it to get some extra length but I haven't tried). I've not noticed any steering interference issues with a 2 inch drop.

Zeus,

I've got a set of crossmember drops sitting in my office collecting dust. PM me if interested. BTW - of course I can relate:)

Tom,

2 inch drop is the optimum to compensate for a 3 inch lift (IMHO). I've thought of trying a 2.5 but don't think it's necessary.

ZEUS
03/05/2009, 04:04 PM
FYI, I didn't need to add any additional tubing for the breather - open the hood and feed the tube down a little and it should work, I don't think I had to reroute it, but I might have done that as well.

Just my opinion, but I think 2.5 is too much, I know it doesn't sound like 1/2" is that much difference but I think 2" is the max you would want to drop for various reasons.

Now, think Beach Boys:

Tom tom tom...
tom tom 4bren.

Tom tom tom...
tom tom 4bren.

TOM 4 BRE-ENNNN...
Gotta wide sta-aaance...
TOM 4 BRE-ENNNN...
Your VX is a rockin and rollin...
And is a really really wide un...
Tom tom tom...
tom tom 4bren.

Thanks man, but my redneckulous crossmember is holding all that leaking diff juice just fine! :o

JHarris1385
03/06/2009, 07:05 AM
Yeah the breather tube did not need anything additional, its fine.
Mine is dropped about 2inches and I have completely lost the vibration noise that was almost constant when I did not have my diff dropped. By far my favorite mod.

I have some vertical welds and have without a doubt tested them to the max already. Actualy the text occured the day after the install. They are holding up just fine, thus far. If they fail I will just get new ones.

LittleBeast
03/06/2009, 11:04 AM
Mine is dropped about 2inches and I have completely lost the vibration noise that was almost constant when I did not have my diff dropped.

NO WAY!!!!! It took away that vibration noise? I would pay more than the price of the drop brackets to fix that! I can't wait to install them now, ah they have been sitting in the garage for months now!!!!!

JHarris1385
03/06/2009, 12:52 PM
I hope we are talking about the same noise but I know I dont have any now. I would cringe all the time when I heard it.

AlaskaVX
03/06/2009, 03:39 PM
As far as the crossmember goes, I had bought my drop brackets from Joe and I also got the crossmember drop brackets. I would recommend these, he can't be charging too much for them and they definately drop it far enough for a 2"+ diff drop.

tom4bren
03/10/2009, 02:00 PM
"I have completely lost the vibration noise that was almost constant when I did not have my diff dropped."

Wooo Hooo - after trashing a CV I can relate how that sound makes you feel. Personally I've noticed a 0.001% increase in throttle response since I dropped mine:)

"open the hood and feed the tube down a little and it should work"

I'll give it a shot as soon as I'm through procrastinating a little longer.

"Now, think Beach Boys:

Tom tom tom...
tom tom 4bren.

Tom tom tom...
tom tom 4bren.

TOM 4 BRE-ENNNN...
Gotta wide sta-aaance...
TOM 4 BRE-ENNNN...
Your VX is a rockin and rollin...
And is a really really wide un...
Tom tom tom...
tom tom 4bren."

I have no response to that ... but I am going to start praying for your mental recovery - a mind it a terrible thing to lose.