PDA

View Full Version : Rear door knobs

Chopper
02/25/2008, 03:09 PM
Since the new tires are about two inches taller than the stock ones, the stock spare is useless. I figured I'd dump it (-100lbs.= +1mpg.) When redoing the cover, I snapped one of the incredibly crappy knobs off at the spring clip:mad::mad: I don't know if they sell them individually or not, but I guess I'll get four to ensure they are all the same colour black. Might need them if I ever take it off again...first time was certainly a success:o

Chopper
02/25/2008, 03:15 PM
I was thinking....inserting an appropriately sized piece of dowel into the hollow threaded shaft of that knob, and gluing it in place there, would eliminate this problem altogether.

PHO2GR4
02/25/2008, 04:52 PM
Hey Chopper,

I just ordered those rear door screws from St Charles Isuzu. If you call and ask for Merlin, he's well versed in those specific parts. The screws are sold individually (something like $3 or $4 each) and then the plastic receptacles are sold in a package of 4 ($4.75 or so for all 4). Be sure to ask for the specific color screw! I ordered red, but they also come in black and gray.

You could buy a replacement set of four screws with four receptacles for around $20, shipped free!!!! Always nice to have spares around.

Oh, and a few people have already done your insert-dowel-into-screw mod. It IS a cheap way to prevent breakage.

PS: Here ya go: 1-800-727-8066 St. Charles Isuzu - ask for Merlin

etlsport
02/25/2008, 05:40 PM
I was thinking....inserting an appropriately sized piece of dowel into the hollow threaded shaft of that knob, and gluing it in place there, would eliminate this problem altogether.

you are correct sir.. the size dowel is 1/2"... it worked out beautifully for me :)

mdwyer
02/25/2008, 05:43 PM

I did very close to that. I epoxied in a plastic pen barrel -- it was the only thing I could find around the house that fit so perfectly! It's been sturdy ever since.

Perhaps filling the hollow shaft with epoxy would be effective preventative maintenance on the other three.

rowhard
02/25/2008, 06:06 PM
Hey Eric, by chance do you have the part numbers or is that not important?

PHO2GR4
02/25/2008, 07:48 PM
Tone Monday had this number in a different thread:

8-97198-691-0 - Red rear cladding screw

The thing is, this part number has also been used for the gray screws. Just ask Merlin when you call.

The receptacles that these screw into are: 8-97161-992-0

Chopper
02/26/2008, 03:20 PM
I ordered 4 yesterday, but I'll probably repair the old one with the dowel and do the other three at the same time. For the eighteen bucks, I'll just toss the new ones in the tool box:rolleyes:

PHO2GR4
02/27/2008, 10:49 AM
Hey Kids!

I just got my St Charles Isuzu delivery. The rear door screw receptacles are apparently out of stock...they show up as "backordered" on the invoice, and they are not in the box.

I DID get the red screws though. The part number is officially as follows:

8-97198-691-0
Description- Knob; tail gate

On a different label on the same bag, the part number omits a dash, as follows:

8-97198691-0

So, I don't know what was causing the red vs. black vs. gray knob confusion before. All I know is that I used that part number when I ordered my red knobs, and I did in fact get red knobs, so something worked properly!

Eric
http://www.weddingphotos.com
http://www.northernlightsphoto.com