PDA

View Full Version : April: Mammoth Lakes Area

nfpgasmask
02/25/2008, 11:43 AM
I am planning to take a camping trip to Tuolumne County some weekend in April. I am thinking I want to go down there for the weekend of the 11th or 18th. I have never been this far south so I am excited to go.

I was thinking, maybe the 3 of us Reno VXers and SnowTrooper could all meet up and camp somewhere that weekend as well, to include some VX fun.

In addition to regular outdoor fun, photography, canoeing, camping, eating and drinking, I would like to find some terrain (or habitat rather) that looks like this:

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/habitats/lzmulticinctahabitatcl.jpg

My goal: To locate and photograph various specimens of the California Mountain Kingsnake, the California Kingsnake, and the Norhtern Rubber Boa, as well as any other wild critter I can find. So I plan to do a lot of exploring and hiking to achieve my goal.

Anyway, if anyone is game, lets start thinking about it. James, you probably know some good spots in the area like the one posted above.

Spring is just around the corner and I ain't sittin' around for much longer!

Bart

CrnCnn
02/25/2008, 03:41 PM
That sounds like fun but it really depends on how the funds situation comes along for Moab.

Ascinder
02/26/2008, 03:31 PM
That sounds like fun but it really depends on how the funds situation comes along for Moab.

Ahhh moab......

http://www.targeted-distribution.co.uk/userimages/mp_burning_money.jpg

snowtrooper1966
02/26/2008, 04:34 PM
Money well burnt, I mean spent......

CrnCnn
02/27/2008, 06:45 PM
OK, so the 18th will work better for us. If that time is best for everyone I will put in my time off.

We would leave the 18th and come back the 20th?

snowtrooper1966
02/27/2008, 06:52 PM
Works for us!

Ascinder
02/27/2008, 08:54 PM
Good 4 me!!!:dance:

CrnCnn
02/28/2008, 03:52 PM
I know we have some time yet, but are we planning on leaving during the day on friday the 18th? Or first thing Saturday? Cari might be starting that new job and will be working tues-friday until 6pm. So if we leave during the day I may be coming alone.

nfpgasmask
02/28/2008, 04:23 PM
Somehow I didn't get notified that anyone replied to this thread...weird, maybe meet threads don't send emails???

Anyway, since we are only talking about 3 hours away, I was thinking of just leaving after work on Friday, set up camp and then do stuff all day Sat/Sun and then come home late Sunday.

I really don't have enough time off this year to take extra days. I could probably get out around 4 that day (just make up some **** about a doctor's appointment, etc).

What I would really like to do, is camp Friday night around Mono Lake, spend most of the day near Mono hiking, sight seeing, etc, and then Saturday night go down to the Mammoth area and camp at a different spot and see other stuff Sunday.

James, you probably know these areas a lot better. What do you suggest?

Bart

snowtrooper1966
02/28/2008, 08:57 PM
I'm getting some feedback from locals with off road experience that there is a varitey of trails to check out, so that's a possibilty as well. Mono camp and then Mammoth would be cool.
James

nfpgasmask
02/29/2008, 09:48 AM
I'm getting some feedback from locals with off road experience that there is a varitey of trails to check out, so that's a possibilty as well. Mono camp and then Mammoth would be cool.
James

Yeah, sounds good. I think this time around I will leave the canoe behind but maybe next time. Cyro, I see you replied and are more than welcome to join us if you can. Anyone else from the Sac area or Placerville, etc, feel free to join in!

Bart

Ascinder
02/29/2008, 04:18 PM
Hey Clint, if you want, I can take your tent and anything else out and set it up for you friday night, then you just hop in the VX after work and go. Let me know.

CrnCnn
02/29/2008, 05:25 PM
Hey Clint, if you want, I can take your tent and anything else out and set it up for you friday night, then you just hop in the VX after work and go. Let me know.

Thanks man, I already took that friday and monday off so I am cool. We are just waiting to see if Cari gets that other job.

snowtrooper1966
02/29/2008, 05:35 PM
Wish her luck for us!
James

CrnCnn
02/29/2008, 05:40 PM
Wish her luck for us!
James

Thanks. She is pretty much a shoe in but she is waiting to see if the girl she will be replacing is really quitting, the girl is flaky.

CrnCnn
02/29/2008, 05:43 PM
After looking at your other post images I think it will be a COLD trip....

snowtrooper1966
02/29/2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks. She is pretty much a shoe in but she is waiting to see if the girl she will be replacing is really quitting, the girl is flaky.

Would that be left or right? High heel or sneaker?
Also, didn't you say Bart needed a VX fob? I did wind up with an extra....
An d I did find mt antenna, the shipper had taken it off and put it inside the Dragon.
James

CrnCnn
02/29/2008, 06:30 PM
Would that be left or right? High heel or sneaker?

Hopefully something comfertable she will be on her feet alot.

Also, didn't you say Bart needed a VX fob? I did wind up with an extra....

No Bart has one of those already. I would like one. How did you get an extra and what do you want for it?

An d I did find mt antenna, the shipper had taken it off and put it inside the Dragon.
James

Nice. I guess they make a shorter version too.

snowtrooper1966
02/29/2008, 07:00 PM
No Bart has one of those already. I would like one. How did you get an extra and what do you want for it?

Well I paid 13.5K for it.:eek: The guy threw in my Dragon as part of the deal.:)

Why don't I just send it to you. I am sure the minute my exta leaves mine will get lost or break, and you can send it back.....;)
James

nfpgasmask
03/04/2008, 10:16 AM
So I started looking at campsites today. I would like to spend Friday night at Mono Lake and then Saturday night at Mammoth Lakes.

This sounds good:

"Camping: A second, smaller group of pinnacles are found a short distance off trail to the west, while another track leads further east to Navy Beach, once used by the military, and now a good place for free camping - overnight stays are allowed anywhere around the lake apart from in the carpark and along the access road. The open, grassy hills around this part of the shore and the woods of the nearby Inyo National Forest have many peaceful, scenic sites to spend the night; the closest places to US 395 are along Test Station Road, which has several flat, open areas at the edge of a hill with views over the lake. The road is paved for a while then gravel as it descends towards the water, passing a picturesque abandoned house then heading east and giving alternative access to the South Tufa area."

From here: http://www.americansouthwest.net/california/mono_lake/index.html

Sounds good and its free. James, do you have any suggestions for nice spots around Mammoth Lakes?

Bart

snowtrooper1966
03/04/2008, 10:21 AM
The entire place is basicly one big camping spot. Do you guys want to camp near lake for fishing, or near off road trails, or hiking spots...?
James

nfpgasmask
03/04/2008, 10:39 AM
The entire place is basicly one big camping spot. Do you guys want to camp near lake for fishing, or near off road trails, or hiking spots...?
James

I'm game for whereever really, as long as is relatively secluded. I am not a big fan of "campsites" where everybody and their mother lines up on top of eachother. I would not mind somewhere near hiking spots, since I would like to look for snakes, but like I said, any nice area is fine with me.

I think we should meet up in the Mono Lake area on Friday night, probably around 7-8. James, it will be a quick ride for you to get there, so if you think you can get a good camping spot for at least 3-5 tents earlier, and then wait for us, that would be awesome. As I said, I have never been down there before, so I don't know the lay of the land at all.

I am not sure yet if I want to bring my canoe. I really mostly want to just hang out, take photos, eat, drink, and of course, look for critters.

Hopefully Coastie will join us and maybe some other nearby VXers.

Bart

CrnCnn
03/04/2008, 02:39 PM
I am not sure yet if I want to bring my canoe.

Hopefully I have one by then, then we could set out and explore. I reminded my boss about it today and hopefully he remembers.

CrnCnn
03/17/2008, 10:13 AM
So did you decide if you are birnging it? Beau said he may bring his Kayak. I am still working on getting one, just want to get my basket and some other things first.

nfpgasmask
03/17/2008, 10:15 AM
So did you decide if you are birnging it? Beau said he may bring his Kayak. I am still working on getting one, just want to get my basket and some other things first.

Actually, I haven't really thought about it. But, if everyone is gonna, I might as well too!

Bart

CrnCnn
03/17/2008, 10:47 AM
Actually, I haven't really thought about it. But, if everyone is gonna, I might as well too!

Bart

Yeah like you have been busy.

nfpgasmask
03/17/2008, 10:49 AM
Yeah like you have been busy.

Yup, we go today to sign our lives away!

:) Bart

CrnCnn
03/17/2008, 10:53 AM
Yup, we go today to sign our lives away!

:) Bart

Awesome. Must feel good and scary at the same time

nfpgasmask
03/17/2008, 10:59 AM
Awesome. Must feel good and scary at the same time

Yup, exactly...

nfpgasmask
03/24/2008, 02:09 PM
So, this trip is creeping up real quick. Everybody still game?

Bart

CrnCnn
03/24/2008, 03:08 PM
So far still in. Cari will have to switch her shift at her new gig but shouldnt be an issue.

snowtrooper1966
03/24/2008, 03:32 PM
Stiil in!
Talking to a few local 4X guys, looking for some moderate trails to possibly explore, time permitting...
James

nfpgasmask
03/24/2008, 03:46 PM
Stiil in!
Talking to a few local 4X guys, looking for some moderate trails to possibly explore, time permitting...
James

AWESOME! James, since you are more familiar with the area, what are your recommendations for camping? Frinday night at Mono and then Saturday at Mammoth?

Bart

snowtrooper1966
03/24/2008, 04:43 PM
Sounds like the plan, Bart!
I have done no wheelin' around here yet, so I looking to experienced locals to give us some recommendations. Nothing extreme, just fun bumpy dirt...maybe even some snow still......
James

nfpgasmask
03/24/2008, 04:46 PM
Sounds like the plan, Bart!
I have done no wheelin' around here yet, so I looking to experienced locals to give us some recommendations. Nothing extreme, just fun bumpy dirt...maybe even some snow still......
James

OK, cool. So should we just wing it and find campsites when we get down there, or is that not a good idea?

Bart

CrnCnn
03/24/2008, 04:48 PM
Hopefully I get my roof basket by then to assist with hauling the canoe. If not I should be able to make something that attaches direct to the cross bars.

snowtrooper1966
03/24/2008, 04:49 PM
I'll do the eary gig and get us spots @ Mono. There are local Mammoth "camping" spots, but I plan to prexplore possible whellin' areas, and perhaps we can camp there...
James

Ascinder
03/27/2008, 03:43 PM
Well, life intrudes, I am getting sent out for the 13th-26th to get my A&P(Airframe and Powerplant) license. The new helicopters we are getting require it. Sorry guys.:mad:

nfpgasmask
03/27/2008, 04:46 PM
Well, life intrudes, I am getting sent out for the 13th-26th to get my A&P(Airframe and Powerplant) license. The new helicopters we are getting require it. Sorry guys.:mad:

That better not happen in May!!! If you want to put the trip off a couple weeks, we can probably do that. Either way, I am game, I know Clint might have already taken a day off....

Bart

snowtrooper1966
03/27/2008, 05:18 PM
I can reschedule, but I think Clint is locked into the planned day. We can do it twice.....
James

Ascinder
03/27/2008, 06:41 PM
Trust me, there is nothing that will keep me from Moab. In fact, I have April 26th to May 18th off at work, so I won't be at work for like 5 weeks includng the A&P "training". I have guard next weekend, so I'm out then too. But barring some twisted act of god, Moab will be on like Donkey Kong.

CrnCnn
03/27/2008, 09:29 PM
I can move my time. Just let me know....

CrnCnn
03/28/2008, 09:51 PM
We need to decide soon though for me to adjust my time. we just lost a new tech at work and losing 2 more so we will be really shorthanded so I need to know asap.

Plus if we wait til after Beau is done then we might as wait til after Moab, since that is only a couple weeks after he is back.

Also things are looking like Cari and I should not go, things are snug as it is and we really need to come up with the cash for Moab.

snowtrooper1966
03/29/2008, 08:57 AM
More trails open, the later we wait. That may be the best plan...
James

CrnCnn
03/30/2008, 09:33 PM
Bart, I know you said you really want to go still but I want to make sure I get the things done for Moab, and I know you do to - lift and what not.

I vote for a June or July trip. It will be much warmer and I wont be so broke.

nfpgasmask
03/31/2008, 08:42 AM
No, its actually going to work out better for me if we postpone as well. With the move and everything, I could use that weekend to further get organized.

And, since that weekend is free, maybe we can plan on doing my lift that weekend instead....

Bart

PS - Plus, its been real chilly here lately, so I would imagine that area is still pretty cold.

cyronman
03/31/2008, 03:04 PM
I vote for a June or July trip.

Me too!
:grinr:

nfpgasmask
04/07/2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah, so it looks like we are putting this trip off until after Moan, which is ok by me, since more people can hopefully attend, the weather will be nicer, and we all will have more preparation time.

I just moved and all my camping gear is in disarray. And I have a million pre-Moab plans to finish!

Bart

Ascinder
04/07/2008, 04:41 PM
all my camping gear is in disarray. And I have a million pre-Moab plans to finish!

X2;)

snowtrooper1966
04/07/2008, 08:47 PM
Have fun in Moab, gentlemen!
I will be there in spirit. Let's revisit this thread when you get back...
James

nfpgasmask
04/07/2008, 09:07 PM
Have fun in Moab, gentlemen!
I will be there in spirit. Let's revisit this thread when you get back...
James

ABSOLUTELY!

Bart

CrnCnn
04/07/2008, 09:35 PM
ABSOLUTELY!

Bart

I will second that...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/little_orange_guy_e0.gif