PDA

View Full Version : VX more useful than I thought

Joe Isuzu
02/24/2008, 08:48 AM
In case anyone is interested, a twin stroller WILL fit in the back of a VX w/o any major scuffing. Of course it will only fit one way, but hey, it fits! I was pleasantly shocked. Now given the fact that the twins take up zero legroom at the present, I can use the space between the front and the rear seats for addtl storage. Now for long trips, I'll still need to get a cargo carrier, but at least for short trips to the zoo or park or dinner, it's actually doable! Yea, another reason (albeit a weak one) to defend keeping the VX! :)

PHO2GR4
02/24/2008, 10:08 AM
I've actually gotten a lot more use from my VX after removing the rear seats. Granted, I don't have to put in any strollers (or babies), so in effect I've made my own concept car: the concept being, two doors, two seats, lousy gas mileage.

But it's great for road trips! Those of you who met up at Moab last year will remember how easy it was for me to make the round-trip from Seattle with my two dogs, a tent, a plug-in cooler and some camera gear.

I've converted my VX from a small SUV with limited cargo area into a sports car with a ton of cargo area. It is great in the desert AND in the Costco parking lot. :smilegray

Joe Isuzu
02/24/2008, 01:28 PM
well, yea, it kinda goes without saying that you can fit more in the VX w/o the rear seat... :p
I was just cautiously optimistic that I could fit the double stroller in there, it's a little bit of a pain to fit it in the A4 sedan so I figured it would be next to impossible to fit it in the VX, after a few tries it fit pretty snug, and I didn't have to worry about scratching the oh-so-scratchable trim
Once I get my cargo box, I'll be set for a long trip, of course both the allroad and the A4 are much quieter and get far better gas mileage, but hey, once in a blue moon we actually CAN take the VX as well!
oh happy day!!

tom4bren
02/26/2008, 10:54 AM
Even tho our youngest is 14, we still use the back seat too (just not for baby seats or strollers).

It's also been found that you can fit:

1) 28 cinder blocks neatly stacked - Tom

2) Basketball goal (out of the box) - Tom

3) 18 cartons of Girl Scout Cookies - Eric

4) 800 lbs of canned food - Eric

5) 48" Plasma TV - Tom

On a serious note: don't ever put anything in there where you can't close the rear door. Even if you secure it with rope or bungie cords, the hinges can't take the load while driving.

etlsport
02/26/2008, 12:14 PM
On a serious note: don't ever put anything in there where you can't close the rear door. Even if you secure it with rope or bungie cords, the hinges can't take the load while driving.

what, you mean like this?
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/501/medium/100_0269.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7378)

hahaha you are right though, that was not my finest moment, i removed the spare tire to reduce the weight and after 3 miles the door was noticeably harder to open and close, lifting up on it fixed the problem but doing this too many times could easily break the hinges all together

tom4bren
02/26/2008, 03:34 PM
Xactly - next time call me & I'll drop my trailer off at Ma's house.:)

Joe Isuzu
03/16/2008, 09:09 AM
granted, it's not our first choice for transporting the kids, but taking them to the zoo is doable!

mrtew
03/17/2008, 06:16 PM
The list of stuff I've crammed in without removing my seats or leaving the door opened is incredible! A full size dryer in the carton, a big BBQ in the carton, new shower doors in the carton, tall bookcases, big screen TV in carton, etc etc etc. I always think stuff will NEVER go in and it always does.... I've never had to go get another vehicle except for my 150 gallon fishtank. Don't try that one.

mdwyer
03/17/2008, 09:11 PM
granted, it's not our first choice for transporting the kids, but taking them to the zoo is doable!

Hmm... I only got one in there, and I had to lift her over the back seat, but it worked.

http://www.timestreamtech.com/purikura/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2957&g2_serialNumber=2

I've also managed the 42" LCD panel in a box. That was scary-tight. It was lying at an angle against the backs of the front seat. But I had to make it work, because the guys at Best Buy were taking bets on it not fitting.

I also tried to buy 3'X8' sections of gridwall. I thought I'd just lash them to the roof rack. I got them all the way out to the VX before I realized that I didn't actually /own/ a roof rack...

That was dumb.

Joe Isuzu
03/18/2008, 05:07 PM
Hmm... I only got one in there, and I had to lift her over the back seat, but it worked.

http://www.timestreamtech.com/purikura/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2957&g2_serialNumber=2

I've also managed the 42" LCD panel in a box. That was scary-tight. It was lying at an angle against the backs of the front seat. But I had to make it work, because the guys at Best Buy were taking bets on it not fitting.

I also tried to buy 3'X8' sections of gridwall. I thought I'd just lash them to the roof rack. I got them all the way out to the VX before I realized that I didn't actually /own/ a roof rack...

That was dumb.
Great story about the gridwall, I was laughing while holding my son trying to get him to sleep. Rest assured, I had to place both the kids in the cars seats while hoisting them over the back seat, but with the headrests removed and me having somewhat long arms, it was no biggie. Ask me again when they fatten up and weigh more though...