PDA

View Full Version : Kayak vs. Canoe

CrnCnn
02/23/2008, 07:09 PM
So I was sportsmans today and was checking out the Kayaks and canoes and wonder, really what’s the difference besides the obvious. I am interested in getting into it but not sure if my wife would be as well so I would probly look at a Kayak. On the other hand if she is only interested in the occasional trip with me how hard is a canoe to deal with all on your own.

Anyone into these activities want to give some opinions? I know its kind of a dumb question but I can’t just buy a 300-1200 dollar recreational device and not like it. I may have the chance to take out Bart’s canoe this spring and see what I think.

tomdietrying
02/23/2008, 07:49 PM
I've got both. I guess I've had both about 15 years. I can honestly say the last couple of years I've taken my canoe out twice and my kayak once. With that said if I didn't already own them, it may be better if I just rented them. I could try different styles and brands, and I wouldn't be out initial cost for them.

My daughter is 9 now, so hopefully we can start and get more use out of them in the near future.

Peace.
Tom

cyronman
02/23/2008, 08:22 PM
I've been interested in one or the other recently also and the way I figure for myself is:

kayak if for the ocean just to paddle around, ride some waves and what not.

Canoe if for rivers or lakes--calm fishing sessions or whatever or if you need to take a small amount of gear with you.

rowhard
02/23/2008, 10:24 PM
Kind of depends what you want to do. Want to be like the frontier's men of past, exploring the nook and crannies of the local river, go for a canoe. Want to join the local brigade and drive around with a kayak that never see any water but looks cool sitting on top of your VX or what ever, then get a kayak. Want something that give you a real workout, something you can do indoors in the winter with a ergometer. Something that will give you a real workout that is non impact, then try a rowing shell, either scull or sweep. But I guess you can tell by my user name where my Sentiment lies.

CrnCnn
02/23/2008, 11:43 PM
But I guess you can tell by my user name where my Sentiment lies.

I never looked at your name that way til now....HELLO:eek:

CrnCnn
02/23/2008, 11:46 PM
So I should aim for a canoe it sounds like then. I was talking with the Reno crew tonight about it tonight and it sounds like that is the way to go. Less wet arse at least.

So how easy is it to handle a canoe alone?

PHO2GR4
02/24/2008, 10:19 AM
I bought a kayak up in Canada and paddled the HELL out of it. I had an 18' Current Designs "Solstice GT" with a ton of storage space...plenty of room for me and my dog. We paddled all around Puget Sound and even in-city, on Lake Union, Lake Washington and Greenlake.

I always viewed the kayak as more sports-like, and the canoe as more for a small family taking a picnic basket over to a local park.

Lewis and Clark might disagree with my "picnic basket" analogy.

But that kayak added inches to my upper arms while removing inches from my waist line. :bwgr:

CrnCnn
02/24/2008, 11:13 AM
I always viewed the kayak as more sports-like, and the canoe as more for a small family taking a picnic basket over to a local park.

Yeah thats kinda the image I get too.

But that kayak added inches to my upper arms while removing inches from my waist line. :bwgr:

Another one of my goals in looking into this as a new hobby.

nfpgasmask
02/24/2008, 03:08 PM
I honestly like both. Like everyone said, it depends on what you are doing. Kayaking gives you a killer workout. Canoeing does too, but Kayaking really gets you pumping. From my experience, you can go fast, and cover a lot of water while kayaking. You're gonna get wet, you're gonna not want to bring anything (like camera, wallet, etc), but you can haul arse and its really fun.

Canoeing is awesome with the wife and the dog. You could easily bring a camera on a canoe, camping gear, food, etc and not get it wet, given you are carefull.

I have a 14.5' canoe and I cannot get it on my VX by myself. You generally need 2 people to put it up and/or carry it. Its just to bulky to handle solo.

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/pics/064.jpg

Bart

Ldub
02/24/2008, 03:21 PM
If you have a Paramount Sports in your area, check em' out...the one here in Fargo has a c/f kevlar model that just might tip the scale in the canoes favor.
It's beautiful, but of course, expen$ive.

CrnCnn
02/24/2008, 03:53 PM
Well I put on my crossbars today and looks pretty good. Really got to do the rail cover mod though so it all looks flush.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_03771.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10554)

Thanks Beau!!!

Now I have to get a basket and also can start hauling things up there like a canoe. I think thats what I will get cause I am sure Cari, my wife, will like it. Not the seadoo she grew up with but still get you out on the water.

nfpgasmask
02/24/2008, 04:09 PM
Sweet. You guys should get a canoe. We can go together then.

The covers will be easy. Like I said, just take the measurments off mine and you are good to go.

Peep this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Coleman-Road-Trip-Safari-Roof-Basket-Luggage-Rack-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33651QQihZ002QQitem Z120225452246QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Bart

CrnCnn
02/24/2008, 04:16 PM
Sweet. You guys should get a canoe. We can go together then.

Yeah, that would be cool since there are so many little lakes around here to explore.

The covers will be easy. Like I said, just take the measurments off mine and you are good to go.

Yeah maybe we can knock it out next weekend

Peep this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Coleman-Road-Trip-Safari-Roof-Basket-Luggage-Rack-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33651QQihZ002QQitem Z120225452246QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Bart

Nice, now that I am out of money for a few weeks.

cyronman
02/24/2008, 05:47 PM
Bart, did you paint that canoe yet?

CrnCnn
03/20/2008, 08:30 PM
So I got a canoe...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/0102020103000116082008030629578868b.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/01021101040001160920080306a0b3380b7.jpg

I got the canoe with accesories for $300 found on craigslist.

cyronman
03/21/2008, 12:35 AM
Dude that looks like a GREAT deal.

CrnCnn
03/21/2008, 06:02 AM
Dude that looks like a GREAT deal.

Yeah he wanted 400 and that was a great deal. I called him to see if he would seperate any of it and he said he would rather lower the price on everything since he didnt need the accesories.

tomdietrying
03/21/2008, 07:22 AM
Wow! What a deal! It's a great looking canoe who makes it?

Here's a thought. Last year in Moab I went to the Colorado River, (Moab is right on the river), and I was thinking that canoeing would be a fun thing to do next year while in Moab. It's next year, and it stills sounds like fun. The problem is do I want to drive from Dallas to Moab with my canoe. It could be fun.

Peace.
Tom

CrnCnn
03/21/2008, 05:51 PM
It’s actually a Coleman, 15 footer. I don’t think they make them anymore though.

Well the width of the center of the canoe is larger than my crossbars. I ordered my basket yesterday also and that is wide enough (slightly). I may have to make something to help with support, I think Bart did to his. I got that single person loader that also is used for support in the back but I don’t have a hitch to mount it to. We will see how it goes.

As for bringing it to Moab, I am not sure if I want to cart mine that whole way either, would be cool to cruise down the Colorado.

nfpgasmask
03/21/2008, 08:33 PM
Dude! That's awesome. We are definitely going to Fordyce Lake now! Once you get your roof rack, you can easily make something like what I made to get it up top.

I would love to canoe in Moab, just like I would love to mountain bike, but there ain't no way I am hauling bikes or my canoe all that way. That said, next month at Mammoth Lakes, I might bring mine...

Bart

CrnCnn
03/22/2008, 08:14 PM
So I measured the canoe today and it is actually a 16 footer. Put up on the wifes cherokee to see if we could take it somewhere tomorrow and try it out, and it just bearly fits her stock rack. So we may head somewhere.

nfpgasmask
03/22/2008, 08:20 PM
So I measured the canoe today and it is actually a 16 footer. Put up on the wifes cherokee to see if we could take it somewhere tomorrow and try it out, and it just bearly fits her stock rack. So we may head somewhere.

Cool, Frenchman's is really nice, but it might still be a bit nipply up there.

Bart

CrnCnn
03/22/2008, 08:20 PM
Cool, Frenchman's is really nice, but it might still be a bit nipply up there.

Bart

Yeah, we were thinking something closer like washoe or sparks marina.