PDA

View Full Version : Battery Light

etlsport
02/16/2008, 11:29 AM
Just finished installing a HO alternator, 150amps

Everything is connected as it was before except now there is a 0awg wire connecting the alternator output to the positive battery terminal.

I've also got an extra 4 awg wire connecting my secondary ground terminal to another chassis ground in addition to the stock grounds

Scangauge puts idle voltage at 14.7, when running approx 80 amps of extra power in addition to normal, voltage drops to 12-12.5V at idle and at 3,000 RPM will return to 14.5-14.8V

The battery light is on, looks dimmer than the brake light and seat belt light and looks to almost flicker sometimes

havent taken it for a spin b/c i have nobody to follow me in case it conks out on me today

etlsport
02/16/2008, 04:10 PM
just took it out.. drove for about an hour with 2 stops, the battery light stayed on the entire time but the vx drove fine. Scangauge put voltage at 14.4-14.7V while driving and 12.4-12.6V at idle

not sure what would cause it to light up.. there is a small ground wire coming from the alternator to the frame near it that i removed and put back, was thinking maybe it wasnt clean enough and not a good connection? not sure though

Ldub
02/16/2008, 04:29 PM
Maybe pm Beej or Tone ???
They have as much experience with alternators etc. as many, more than most.

Might be worth a shot.

etlsport
02/16/2008, 04:31 PM
yea, i shot brudda biju a pm since i got the alternator from him to begin with heh.. hopefully ill get some answers soon.. next day that over 45* ill get out there and mess with that ground

etlsport
02/18/2008, 10:09 AM
cleaned up the ground and reattached it, light was still on so I guess that wasnt the problem, hmm

etlsport
02/24/2008, 06:27 PM
bump...

well the alternator is without a doubt charging.. i have driven over 500 miles, city, highway and let the vx idle for about 30 minutes.. voltage readings havent really changed at all... cruising on the highway (70-80mph) i was reading 14.4-14.6V still when sitting at a stoplight in park i will read 12.3-12.5V but on startup at idle (even after warmup when rpms are normal at 700-800) i will read 14.4-14.6

at this point im confident in the charging system so i just want to figure out how to turn off the light.. would rather not pull the bulb but i may end up doing that

Ldub
02/24/2008, 06:37 PM
bump...
so i just want to figure out how to turn off the light.. would rather not pull the bulb but i may end up doing that

Survey Says.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........letchikul tape.:_wrench::dance:

etlsport
03/05/2008, 09:44 AM
spoke with biju.. said it was normal for the light to be on w/ the new alt.. PHEW! after 1000 miles im confident in its abilities:thumbup: