PDA

View Full Version : Lack of VX services???

VXDude
02/16/2008, 11:00 AM
Hello,

I live in Southern California and I have just come across the news that Isuzu will be pulling out of North America. I have an Immaculate 2001 Firefox VX and I will be needing a vehicle of its caliber more and more, with the work that I do. I'm a biologist and I pull a small boat for my research. This will definitely require even more frequent maintenance for my VX, but without a dealer within a few hundred miles of where I live, then I will be stuck, even if it is just for parts! I am stuck right now as to either sell my baby and purchase another vehicle that will do the same job for me, or look at other options that I am not aware of...all responses welcomed.

JHarris1385
02/16/2008, 11:17 AM
Why do you need a dealer ever?
We have Merlin to call - he is cheaper.
Tell a mechanic your working on a Honda Passport engine.

Anita
02/16/2008, 11:41 AM
I absolutely agree about Merlin. I buy all my parts from him. There is a dealership that still works on Isuzus who has a great mechanic. Yea, its a bit of a drive and work is at dealership prices but Mike has worked on a great many VX's and respects the VX and Isuzu products for that matter. Sierra Autocars in Monrovia. I cant say enough good things about the service dept. there.

VXDude
02/16/2008, 03:09 PM
I don't know of this Merlin???

Can you lend some info on this...

Thank you very much!

Ldub
02/16/2008, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the Fam...:thumbup:

Here's what you need to know...

Need stock parts cheap with FREE freight?
1-800-727-8066 St. Charles Isuzu - ask for Merlin!

cyronman
02/16/2008, 03:36 PM
I absolutely agree about Merlin. I buy all my parts from him. There is a dealership that still works on Isuzus who has a great mechanic. Yea, its a bit of a drive and work is at dealership prices but Mike has worked on a great many VX's and respects the VX and Isuzu products for that matter. Sierra Autocars in Monrovia. I cant say enough good things about the service dept. there.

I vouch for Anita & Mike!

Riverside--You should be so lucky to be that close.

VXDude
02/16/2008, 06:54 PM
Thank you all very much for the information and the support.
I purchased my VX from that dealership in Monrovia, and I agree, they are great, but the fact still states in CNN news that Isuzu overall, will be pulling out of North America within the year, and that means that Isuzu will only be committed to making parts for another 3 years or so, for my 2001, for anyone to acquire?! Am I overlooking something, or is there some news out there that I am not aware of... Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ldub
02/17/2008, 06:40 AM
Thank you all very much for the information and the support.
I purchased my VX from that dealership in Monrovia, and I agree, they are great, but the fact still states in CNN news that Isuzu overall, will be pulling out of North America within the year, and that means that Isuzu will only be committed to making parts for another 3 years or so, for my 2001, for anyone to acquire?! Am I overlooking something, or is there some news out there that I am not aware of... Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I can't speak for anyone else, but many here are both pretty fanatical about Isuzus, (the VX in particular) & and pretty well aquainted with their toolbox.:_wrench:
It may sound a bit cold, but to me this means that the price of used Isuzus will be dropping rapidly over the coming months/years, making it possible to purchace used vehicles to canniblize for parts @ pennies on the dollar.
5-10 years in the future, sheet metal, glass, cladding & other VX specific parts, such as mirrors, hood inserts, tail lights & turn signal lenses will be like finding the holy grail.
As they say, When life hands you lemons...make lemonade.:dance:

This concludes my Sunday morning sermonette on "things, the way I see them"

Joe Isuzu
02/17/2008, 08:58 AM
let's put it this way, I was able to find parts and service for a pair of Alfa's and a Fiero, neither of which are popular for mechanics to work with and Alfa has been out of the country for a LOOONG time,
(yes, I realize they're supposed to be coming back but I don't think the dealers who would service them would even recognize an older Alfa, they're only concerned with selling pricey Ferrari/Maserati alternatives)
The beauty of the VX is that there are a good many pieces which are common to other Isuzu products (save trim pieces), so I'm not terribly concerned about parts availability
However, with that said, if this is your only car I would consider getting something cheap to do the majority of your driving, both for our piss-poor gas mileage and also to keep the miles of the VX and needlessly have to look for parts if you can help it

VXDude
02/17/2008, 10:44 AM
Thank you both for your time in responding.

My VX is one of a few vehicles that I own, but just looking at the practicality of its utilization for the future. I have other 4WD vehicles that would suffice for my applications, but just weighing my odds. I'm not much of a car collector, although I do have more than a single guy would ever dream of..., each with its own very pertinent application for my life. The VX is just the one that happens to be the cool one that is merely sitting there looking pretty.

Thanks again to all for your input!