PDA

View Full Version : thule vs yamika

zadam123
06/15/2003, 05:55 AM
I am interisted in getting one of these cargo baskets was looking at the posts for the yamika loadwarrior and thule 840 and had a couple of questions for those of you that have them,

is there any diffrence between the 2 if there the same size (44 x 39 x 6.5 ) was kinda the biggest right?

Do they create any additional wind noise?

If you have one can you please post a pick so i can see what it would look like on a vx?

I have looked on a few sites and the VX is not listed for fitting (what elese is new :rolleyes: , which car are you buying the rack for or are they universal?

also i can get the yamika for about $120 less than the thule 840 do you think the thule is worth the diffrence?

thanks

adam:confused: :confused: :confused:

Moncha
06/15/2003, 06:25 AM
The Load Warrior IS a universal fit. You attach it to the VX's roof rack. I liked the way that everything fits on the LW but have not had any experience with the Thule.
Check out the Mods Section (http://www.moncha.com/more_mods.html) of Moncha.com (http://www.moncha.com). I detailed it pretty well there. Also, check out the Moab 'Zu Zoo IV Photo Album (http://www.moncha.com/images/Albums/ZuZooIV/ZuZooIV.html) and the Moab 'Zu Zoo VI photo gallery (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=541&thumb=1), you'll find lots of photos show the LW off.

AnalogVX
06/15/2003, 06:25 AM
I have the Thule. It works out great. The fit is universal for the two. They use a wide clamp type mount to mount to the VX's carrier.
I don't see how you can get a Yakima $120 cheaper than the Thule. I paid 238 for my Thule shipped and the Yakima was 275 plus shipping.
I like the Playpen because it comes with a wind dam, extra load bars and it has outriggers for mounting additional carriers (bike, ski, etc,) to the sides while carring gear in the basket. I wish it came in black though. The hardware quality is questionable, but the basket itself is sturdy and Moab tested tough.
Overall I like the look of the Yakima better, but it was hard to beat the value of the Thule.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1908

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1907

Navigator
06/15/2003, 08:11 AM
Check out my gallery for Thule 840 ideas.

zadam123
06/15/2003, 08:59 AM
where is the gallery, link please
adam

Moncha
06/15/2003, 09:10 AM
The little buttons at the bottom of his post... The one on the right.

zadam123
06/15/2003, 09:42 AM
Wow , cool you learn something every day.:D

thanks
adam

kpaske
06/15/2003, 10:03 AM
I have the Yakima Loadwarrior with the extension (which makes it about 33% longer). I think it's one of the best investments I've made for my VX yet. Altogether I spent about $350 for mine, and it was worth every penny. It looks really nice (especially WITH the extension - without it I think it looks a little small) and it's extremely sturdy and durable. I haven't noticed any wind noise from inside the cabin, although I'm sure it creates a bit of wind drag, especially when loaded. When I get back in town I'll be posting a bunch of pics.

Daver
06/15/2003, 02:07 PM
I have the Yakima LoadWarrior also. I got a good deal for the LoadWarrior+net at REI. $200 I think it's an exclusive package for REI.

Regarding the PlayPen's outriggers. to accomdate bicycle racks and other things along with my LoadWarrior, I just got longer WingBars. They were cheaper than the Isuzu bars. I also like that my bicycle sits abo0ut 6" lower than if I had the rack mounted on top of the basket instead of next to it.

-Daver

paultvx
06/15/2003, 02:22 PM
I have looked at both closely... here are the differences:

1) The Play Pen generally sells for less at retail. $235 vs $280.
2) The Play Pen does have additional outriggers for additional attachments to the sides.
3) The Yakima Loadwarrior has the round bars built right in... the Play Pen's are added on (but included). You can installed bike carriers, ski carriers, and others directly to the basket.
4) The Loadwarrior uses slightly larger tubing.
5) Both baskets come with fairing or wind dam included which is good becaues the fairing eliminates almost all of the wind noise created by the factory rack.
6) No problems with hardware issues with the Yakima. Everything is solid. Install and go.
7) Look at where the two halves of the baskets are joined. The Loadwarrior's tubes meet up nicer compared to the Play Pen.

Both baskets are decent. The Yakima just looks a little more sturdier and has fewer parts. REI had a sale couple weeks ago which dropped the price right down to the Play Pen's retail price so I ended up with the Yakima. If it wasn't for that I would've ordered from www.ageebike.com which sells it for $280 with free shipping and in store credit for free accessories. About $60 worth of credit which is enough to get you the light brackets, locking brackets, and with $5 left to go towards something else like the stretch net.

The outriggers on the Play Pen is nice... but Yakima does have add on accessories that are designed to mount to the side, like a high lift jack mount and s shovel mount. Anyone know if the ligh lift would work on the VX? my guess is not because of the cladding...

It's possible to get the Loadwarror for $160 ($120 off retail) if you know someone who works for a Yakima dealer. I do, but it takes too long to get coordinated so I gave up. My guess is $160 is 10% over dealer cost. Pretty outrageous eh? Pretty good profit margin considering retail is $280.

Ebay is a good place to pickup Yakima stuff new or used. Not long ago I missed out on a Loadwarrior with 3 Steelhead bike mounts ($100 each retail) for $298 total. The problem with eBay is a lot of times you get a lot of idiots who don't understand the game placing their bids too early and get in a bid war with each other which drives up the final price for everyone else.

zadam123
06/15/2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by kpaske
I have the Yakima Loadwarrior with the extension (which makes it about 33% longer). I think it's one of the best investments I've made for my VX yet. Altogether I spent about $350 for mine, and it was worth every penny. It looks really nice (especially WITH the extension - without it I think it looks a little small) and it's extremely sturdy and durable. I haven't noticed any wind noise from inside the cabin, although I'm sure it creates a bit of wind drag, especially when loaded. When I get back in town I'll be posting a bunch of pics.

do you know how long it is with the extension?, I think there are 3 sizes 46, 54 and 72 inch. when i measured that on the roof it looks like the 72 inch will come past the windshield. and please post the pics.

Thanks
adam

kpaske
06/16/2003, 01:29 AM
The interior dimensions (storage space) for the Load Warrior with extension is 62 x 39 x 6.5 inches. Pictures coming soon! ;Db;

Panther_Black_VX
06/16/2003, 11:20 AM
Where can I get the stock roof rack? I need to get that before I can get any type of basket.

Navigator
06/16/2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Panther_Black_VX
Where can I get the stock roof rack? I need to get that before I can get any type of basket.

From the dealer for about $300 or from another member willing to sell. I have heard you can get the bars from Yakima direct, but the towers are exclusive to the VX.

paultvx
06/16/2003, 02:15 PM
The wing bars have been discontinued by Yakima for a long time.

You can order the factory rack from St. Charles Isuzu (do a search to get the contact info). Or you can get it from isuzuparts.net. St. Charles' prices tend to be a little bit higher but they don't charge for shipping. Better service too from what I hear. I've ordered from isuzuparts.net and they don't answer phone calls or emails... if your order doesn't show up... you just keep waiting until it does. :(

Daver
06/18/2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by paultvx
The wing bars have been discontinued by Yakima for a long time.

You can order the factory rack from St. Charles Isuzu (do a search to get the contact info). Or you can get it from isuzuparts.net. St. Charles' prices tend to be a little bit higher but they don't charge for shipping. Better service too from what I hear. I've ordered from isuzuparts.net and they don't answer phone calls or emails... if your order doesn't show up... you just keep waiting until it does. :(

About the WingBars from Yakima. Yes, they've been discontinued for years. Yes, you can still get them too.

This is how I got my 58" bars:
http://www.rackwarehouse.com/y0309c.html

They were reluctant to sell the bars w/o the towers, but even back in January they were willing to do so, so they're much cheaper than the 34" Isuzu bars. I expect by now they should be even more willing to unload the bars.

As for isuzuparts.net, I left emails, voice mails, etc, and got no responses at all. Apparently part of my order was backordered so they didn't ship any of it. St. Charles is definitely the way to go for good service.

-Daver

curiouswords
05/16/2006, 12:12 PM
Does anyone have any advice about a Yakima bike rack (roof rack mount) that came on my '01 Proton. The rail has two straps for the tires; that seems pretty standard. But, the stanchion that supposedly holds up the frame has only one arm which seems too short to hold the frame properly. That stanchion is round, about an inch in diameter, and has an open ended rubber/plastic "claw" on one side with no adjoining hold for the other side of the bike frame.

Yeah, the answer may be to "trash it" and get another one, but I have never seen a bike rack like this and wonder if it is a "VehiCROSS" version of a Yakima rack?

Any ideas? :confused:

curiouswords
05/16/2006, 12:33 PM
YES! I found it! The bike rack I have is called an Anklebiter by Yakima. I have been looking for that since I bought the car a little over a month ago.

Now I can sleep at night! ;)

A brief description and URL:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_Rack/product_19969.shtml

This innovative, unique mount carries any bicycle frame style or size on Yakima roof racks by attaching to the crank arm. Padded jaws grasp crank arm (strongest part of the bike), never touching bike's paint or cables; 2 ratcheting straps hold wheels in full-length tray. Fits Y-frames, bikes with oversize tube frames, full-suspension, dual-suspension or disc brakes, BMX bikes and children's bikes. Eye-level adjustment and reversible locking lever make it the easiest upright bike mount to load and unload from either side of your car. To deter theft, bike locks to mount and mount locks to rack with 2 Yakima SKS Lock Cores and 1 Accessory Lock Housing, each sold separately. Compatible with Yakima RoundBars, WingRiders, many factory roof racks and Thule racks with the use of Yakima Mighty Mounts, sold separately