PDA

View Full Version : Egr - P0405

crager34
02/09/2008, 10:40 AM
I had some work done about a year ago and asked the mechanic to go ahead and clean the EGR valve. Not actually sure if he did it, cause the code cam back today. So, when I can I will do the work myself. Also, Autozone said they have the valve for $150, so I may just replace the thing.

Hotsauce
02/10/2008, 05:06 AM
With the engine cold, start the car and check for exhause leaks under the valve. you can hear them, or feel it with your fingers before the valve gets too hot.

It may be just the EGR gasket, or the 22mm nut loose under the EGR mounting block.

John C.

zadam123
02/11/2008, 03:01 AM
i had the same code and thought it was the egr also so i cleaned it out and reset the check enging light, but after 300 miles of driving it came back on. Now here is a question after another 1000 miles of driving it went back off. if it is a egr problem would the check engine light go off and on and off again?

johnnyapollo
02/11/2008, 07:15 AM
Did it go off then came back on? CEL codes clear themselves (after 25 starts, if memory serves).

-- John

Bulldoggie
02/11/2008, 01:04 PM
i had the same code and thought it was the egr also so i cleaned it out and reset the check enging light, but after 300 miles of driving it came back on. Now here is a question after another 1000 miles of driving it went back off. if it is a egr problem would the check engine light go off and on and off again?

I get the same code about every other month. (low flow EGR Valve)
Yes, it does reset itself.
I usually help it along by driving a day with the tranny in "drive 2" to let the RPM's get higher.
Someday I'll get around to cleaning it.

On a recent road trip, I had both the engine light and the tranny light come on at the same time, with the tranny light blinking!!! Hard to ignor. :eek:
Scared the crap out of me, I couldn't find anything wrong. No funny noises, nothing under the hood.
Turned out, I just needed to top off the tranny oil. :mbrasd:

Gussie2000
02/11/2008, 05:53 PM
Well guys my toy's engine light is on,i don't for sure what it is,but according to the check engine diagnostic perfomed at autozone the source of the issue is located at somewhere on the emision system:confused: or simply the gas cap that deffinetly needs to being replaced:o,the diesel knocking noise could be probally the EGR valve :mad:or worst the lifters according to my mech.:eek:
Thankfully i bought the mounster with two years warranty so my guess they'll take care of it:rolleyes:

I'll have the code posted tomorrow so you guys might have the answer.;)

Vehi-Cross-Az
10/08/2008, 09:22 PM
P1402 came up as EGR valve too.
I was going to take mine off, install a new gasket
and see if that fixes it.
BTW, where is the EGR valve on our Vxs ?

also, autozone quote me $119 for one just today
for a new one with a 2 yr warranty.

Ldub
10/09/2008, 05:35 AM
[QUOTE=Vehi-Cross-Az;136649] BTW, where is the EGR valve on our Vxs ? [QUOTE/]

Here it is...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/00000_1.JPG

WormGod
10/09/2008, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE=Vehi-Cross-Az;136649] BTW, where is the EGR valve on our Vxs ? [QUOTE]

Here it is...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/00000_1.JPG

SWEET! Dub art!!!!

My advice: if you can afford it, buy a new one. I tried cleaning mine (7 years old) a couple nights ago for like the 5th time and it is now beyond cleaning. And it has the most god forsaken sulfurous smell to it. That doesn't reassure me at all. :eek:

My poor VX is gonna be sitting on the side lines for a while. I have had to throw so much money around lately, no thanks to things in my home all dropping dead one after another, that I am low on the purse. With the economy spook, I need to keep every penny available for any other emergencies in case they arise (and they always do with my luck). Complete new heating and A/C furnaces should NEVER cost $8k.... that is all I have to say about that. :mad:

Vehi-Cross-Az
10/09/2008, 08:45 AM
thanks for the tip guys

mrtew
04/24/2009, 08:47 PM
The ex-Isuzu dealer here in Windsor, Ontario replaced my EGR to the tune of $300+ a few months ago and cleared up my Check Engine light and noticeable hesitation but the light and a little skip in the rpm's is back again now!!! Autozone said it's a P0405 code meaning the "EGR position sensor BBvoltage was too low". Should I get them to replace the EGR valve again if I can or is it likely something else such as the EGR position sensor itself? Help!

Ldub
04/22/2010, 09:08 PM
My advice: if you can afford it, buy a new one. I tried cleaning mine (7 years old) a couple nights ago for like the 5th time and it is now beyond cleaning.

Did the same today...:_wrench:

Cleaned it for the 4th 0r 5th time, ck engine light still came back on...:upsetgray

Replaced it with one from AutoZone...all is well, no more...:upsetgray

WormGod
04/23/2010, 06:56 AM
These SOBs get so carbonated so fast it's sick. I have a spare that is quite crusty and am considering literally tearing it apart to see just HOW thorough we can get when cleaning them and the ease of it (or lack of).

I believe I am on my 3rd.

circmand
04/23/2010, 07:33 AM
I have had my VXsince June 2002 I have never had the check light come on for that and have never cleaned the EGR either.

yellowgizmo99
04/23/2010, 07:55 AM
you did knock on wood after you said that or in my case my head

Ascinder
04/23/2010, 11:14 AM
Mine came on once going up a trail to go shooting with Bart. I pulled it off and cleaned some carbon buildup off with a piece of wire and made sure the valve moved freely. No problems ever again.

PK
04/23/2010, 04:44 PM
These SOBs get so carbonated so fast it's sick. I have a spare that is quite crusty and am considering literally tearing it apart to see just HOW thorough we can get when cleaning them and the ease of it (or lack of).

I believe I am on my 3rd.

Is yours an oil burner??

That would clog up the EGR pretty quick.

It would be interesting to see if there is a direct correlation between clogged EGR's and oil usage.

Mine doesn't burn oil, and EGR has never been off the motor that I know of.
Approaching 120K.

PK

Axelivan
08/10/2010, 07:57 PM
Hi guys, if there any instructions posted to get this EGR valve and the base cleaned? Thanks for any tip.

Axelivan
08/10/2010, 08:09 PM
For the blinking trans light;I got your very same problem. How I fixed? Check the connection or the coolant sensor itself. Really, not a joke. That was my problem, it even get the idle speed very high. This car has so many co-related sensors that you never know which one its the faulty one. As you know almost four sensors controls the TOD; TPS, ABS,etc. Even the odometer is electrical.