PDA

View Full Version : cop pulled me over

Pepino
02/04/2008, 10:35 PM
i have been pulled over 4 times with my vx and i always get warnings but this last time i was trying to avoid all the freaking holes that snow has made on the pavement here in milwaukee so i got distracted and sped up a little and then when i noticed i had a freaking cop behind me with the turret lights on so i pulled over and he gave me a 109 dollar ticket! he didnt say anything about me not having a front license plate he didnt say anything abaout my taillight and headlight blackouts but he gave me one for being 17 over the limit i was going to ask if i could at least take a picture of our cars together but i though it would be too hypocrtical so i didnt lol

WormGod
02/05/2008, 07:24 AM
Whew, that was a hard read. Lack of punctuation nearly gave me a seizure. :eek:

I wouldn't complain. Sounds like you were lucky to only get a $109. For about 15 over, you can be looking at about $270.

Stop for a second and think about "17" over the limit. In a "55", that would be 72. In a "30", that would be 47. Easier to understand when the actual limit is higher. Though, speeding up to avoid bad road conditions strikes me as.... the opposite of what I would imagine doing. :p

tom4bren
02/05/2008, 08:08 AM
A ticket at any time is a real bummer. My last one was so long ago that I think it can be measured in decades rather than years (knock on wood).

I remembered this picture when I read your woes. Enjoy.

nfpgasmask
02/05/2008, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I get pulled over all the time. It sucks. Just 2 weeks ago I got pulled over for having a dirty license plate. The cop was just bored I think. He said my plates were severely obstructed. Funny since I was driving through some huge muddy slush holes like 10 mintes prior to getting stopped. He didn't cite me for anything, and I guess he didn't notice that my wife was sitting in the back of my VX without any seat (my brother was up front).

Bart

Dumke
02/05/2008, 01:09 PM
......... He didn't cite me for anything, and I guess he didn't notice that my wife was sitting in the back of my VX without any seat (my brother was up front).

Bart

Wow your brother is a winner.. Poor woman :(

LOL sorry I read that line and I can see the picture in my head, too funny.

nfpgasmask
02/05/2008, 01:18 PM
Wow your brother is a winner.. Poor woman :(

LOL sorry I read that line and I can see the picture in my head, too funny.

Well, my brother is like 6'2". He's a big boy....and my wife is a lot smaller and said she would ride in back. No big deal really for her, but for my brother it would be much tighter...

Bart

navistar
02/05/2008, 01:50 PM
I can't remember if I posted this before but back on my birthday, November 13th of last year, I was pulled over by a local city cop here in Lenexa. Radared me at 47 in a 30 in a quazi residential area, seventeen miles over and he let me go with a mildly phrased warning. I guess he just thought, old guy in a new BMW, veteran's license plate and it's his birthday, no warrants, respectful. Hey, whatever works!

nfpgasmask
02/05/2008, 01:56 PM
I can't remember if I posted this before but back on my birthday, November 13th of last year, I was pulled over by a local city cop here in Lenexa. Radared me at 47 in a 30 in a quazi residential area, seventeen miles over and he let me go with a mildly phrased warning. I guess he just thought, old guy in a new BMW, veteran's license plate and it's his birthday, no warrants, respectful. Hey, whatever works!

Cool B-day. Mine is the 15th and my youngest brother is the 13th as well.

Scorpios RULE!

:) Bart

navistar
02/05/2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah...once every decade of so the 13th falls on a Friday. I look forward to those. Ha...ha!!

BeeVenom
02/05/2008, 03:55 PM
Hey Pepino,
Just got a $105 ticket a while ago for '5 over the limit' on a trip in northern Michigan just before the cold crap hit us. Was actually doing 71 in a 55. Told the officer i wasn't use to driving the VX since it was "my wife's car" and "i always drive our truck" (actually it's the other way around!) .....but that didn't work. He liked the fact that my interior panels were painted yellow like the outside and thought the TV screen was "neat" too......but still gave me a ticket for speeding.
Such is life!
Scott

CoastieCosta567
02/05/2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I get pulled over all the time. It sucks. Just 2 weeks ago I got pulled over for having a dirty license plate. The cop was just bored I think. He said my plates were severely obstructed. Funny since I was driving through some huge muddy slush holes like 10 mintes prior to getting stopped. He didn't cite me for anything, and I guess he didn't notice that my wife was sitting in the back of my VX without any seat (my brother was up front).

Bart

thats actually really funny, if u dont think about it and just picture the whole scene in your head, seeing nfpgasmask telling his wife to get in the back. " he didn't notice that my wife was sitting in the back of my VX without any seat (my brother was up front)." lol.

well i have been pulled over only 2 times in my life, 1 was cuz my window tint was to dark, here in Cali, but he let me go cuz i'm from florida and he couldn't give me a ticket, and second, i didn't completely stop on a stop sign, but he let me go cuz he found out i was in the Coast Guard :bwgy:. And 1 more time but it was an accedent and it was my falt, but i didn't get a ticket at all, this was back in florida like 2 years ago.

Moncha
02/07/2008, 06:08 PM
Eeeeeek!

I always use the old motto, "5 you're fine 10 you're mine" before I write tickets.

So-CalVX
02/07/2008, 07:49 PM
hey Monch.... I have a couple questions, but I'll start with a comment... wow, you're a cop-officer! I thinks thats awesome.
Have you ever pulled over a VX and do you ever dream about driving/owning the VX cop (car?) we've got in Santa Barbara?

PHO2GR4
02/08/2008, 11:33 AM
I got not one but TWO tickets in my first VX (a '99 Ironman) way back in the early days. The sad thing was, I wasn't even in a hurry either time! In both cases, I was just going downhill and hadn't noticed how much my speed had crept up.

I'm used to driving a 350Z, where you are low to the ground and aware of your velocity. Something about the abrupt change to a higher driving position really fooled my eyes. I got both of those tickets within the first two months of owning the VX.

Afterwards I was REALLY careful. And by now, of course, I can estimate my speed pretty accurately without looking at the speedo.

Newbies, be careful! The VX is deceptively quick!

nfpgasmask
02/08/2008, 11:43 AM
I just got a registered letter from the Nevada DMV saying that my license is suspended due to lack of proof of insurance. :mad: About two weeks ago I got a letter from the DMV with a card I had to fill out with all my insurance info, which I promptly did.

So I call my insurance company and find out after comparing info, that I am insured under "Bart Wilkus" but my license says "Bartholomew Wilkus". What a freakin crock. I guess the brain trust at the DMV couldn't figure that one out.

Freakin rediculous,

Bart

CrnCnn
02/08/2008, 03:54 PM
I just got a registered letter from the Nevada DMV saying that my license is suspended due to lack of proof of insurance. :mad: About two weeks ago I got a letter from the DMV with a card I had to fill out with all my insurance info, which I promptly did.

So I call my insurance company and find out after comparing info, that I am insured under "Bart Wilkus" but my license says "Bartholomew Wilkus". What a freakin crock. I guess the brain trust at the DMV couldn't figure that one out.

Freakin rediculous,

Bart

Yeah the NV DMV sux.

geshaw30
02/08/2008, 04:00 PM
Got the same profession as Scott but here in the sprawling metropolis that makes Houston. I must say Scott you're a better man than I- they gotta be doing 15 over to catch my attention and that usually results in an "a-- chewin only" stop (if it's the only infraction).

Never stopped another VX (it's a pride thing) and have no desire whatsoever to have one as a patrol car. Getting out of those seats nightly with a gun belt on would surely pop some internal organ.

Free piece of advice. When asked the question "do you know why I pulled you over?"- it's time to fess up. Lying or trying to hold traffic court on a highway will always get you a ticket. The truth will set you free ....at least in my book

nfpgasmask
02/08/2008, 04:41 PM
Got the same profession as Scott but here in the sprawling metropolis that makes Houston. I must say Scott you're a better man than I- they gotta be doing 15 over to catch my attention and that usually results in an "a-- chewin only" stop (if it's the only infraction).

Never stopped another VX (it's a pride thing) and have no desire whatsoever to have one as a patrol car. Getting out of those seats nightly with a gun belt on would surely pop some internal organ.

Free piece of advice. When asked the question "do you know why I pulled you over?"- it's time to fess up. Lying or trying to hold traffic court on a highway will always get you a ticket. The truth will set you free ....at least in my book

I'd say that's true. Just last October, I was driving through Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation. Part of the road goes from like 65 down to 25 in about a quarter mile. I was just driving along, BSing with my buddy, totally not paying attention and drove right into the 25 zone going about 60. I got pulled over right away. Now, you guys probably know that going that fast in a 25 will land you a big ticket, and maybe even a reckless driving citation, but I was cool and honest and apologetic, and the cop gave me the smallest ticket he could, which was nice. He actually said, "because of your demeanor, I'm only going to cite you for 10 over."

Whew.

Bart

Rednex
02/13/2008, 08:46 AM
I got not one but TWO tickets in my first VX (a '99 Ironman) way back in the early days. .......
Afterwards I was REALLY careful. And by now, of course, I can estimate my speed pretty accurately without looking at the speedo.

Newbies, be careful! The VX is deceptively quick!

Me 2: was driving w/o tickets for years, & then suddenly - in less than a year - got 8 penalty points (out of 16 allowed before license removal!)! :eek:

Now I'm more seen my own TLC 80, which crawls compared 2 VX, rather than in wife's VX, where as it used 2 be vice versa before... :cool:

Moncha
02/13/2008, 11:13 AM
I'd love to do that George but our policy is 10 or more, zero tollerance. And we have a bunch of whiners in this area that like to rat onthe Po Po for not doing their job... :)

I'm also with George on the Patrol-VX. It would be fun but WAY to small with all the crap that we wear. Well used to wear, since I'm a detective, I don't have to wear that stuff save for one day out of the month.

I did pull over a VX while on patrol only ot give a warning and "Pass along card"

Bulldoggie
02/14/2008, 07:44 PM
Eeeeeek!

I always use the old motto, "5 you're fine 10 you're mine" before I write tickets.

When I was little, before seat belts, you had to be at least 10-15 over.
Everyone thought that 5-7 over, was 100% safe.
Not driving 5-7 over, was considered slow.

Now, cars and tires are better equipped to drive high speeds. A very high % of drivers are well above 15 over. To me, they are asking for it, in time they will get it.

TEN36VX
02/21/2008, 05:08 AM
I have pulled over two VX's just to say "hi" (I did have PC for the stop). Both were Protons. I warned them for the infraction then, when I compliment them on their truck and tell them I own one too, their whole mood changes and they were happy to meet another owner and chat a bit. I have seen another but didnt have PC to stop it.

As far as speeding goes, I'm a Sheriff and we generally aren't tasked with traffic enforcement (in CA at least). So if we pull you over you caught our attention for whatever reason and ussually just get a warning; of course there is always a cite for those who fail the attitude test. I do always write for no tail lights since that irritates me.

nfpgasmask
02/21/2008, 08:58 AM
I have pulled over two VX's just to say "hi" (I did have PC for the stop). Both were Protons. I warned them for the infraction then, when I compliment them on their truck and tell them I own one too, their whole mood changes and they were happy to meet another owner and chat a bit. I have seen another but didnt have PC to stop it.

As far as speeding goes, I'm a Sheriff and we generally aren't tasked with traffic enforcement (in CA at least). So if we pull you over you caught our attention for whatever reason and ussually just get a warning; of course there is always a cite for those who fail the attitude test. I do always write for no tail lights since that irritates me.

My dad got a ticket in the Bay area for not wearing his seatbelt....kinda weak PC I think. :)

Bart

Diogenes
02/21/2008, 09:57 AM
Funny thing about tickets.. Here in VA we have all these different stickers we have to put on our vechicles.. State inspection.. city tax sticker.. and of course registration.. So when I purchase my vehicle a couple of years back, it's state inspection had just been done a few months before.

So I like to do all things at one time, so I held off the state inspection until my tags came due.. do it all in the same month, right?

Well, yesterday a cop looked real hard at me while coming from the opposite direction in heavy traffic (thought he was going to nail me because I'd forgotten to put on my seatbelt)... Well, I can see him signal to turn in my side/rear mirror, but there's no way he's going to catch me in this traffic, right?. I fasten my seat belt, so I'm not worried.

Well, about 3/4 of a mile down the road, a different cop pulls me over for my state inspection sticker being out of date.. Seems the first cop had radioed ahead to have his buddy nail me (the cop who pulled me over was very nice and the first thing he asked was "What kind of Vehicle is this?? Never seen one before".. so that gave me the chance to proundly tell him about it being a limited production vehicle.. ;0)

Moral of the story, and my gut feeling on this?? With declining housing prices lowering the property tax revenue available to municipalities, we're seeing a lot more traffic related fines as a means of generating revenue. The cop that called me in really must have been looking for generating money for him to take such efforts to call his buddy down on me.

So until we get past this housing bubble, and diminishing property taxes, you all had better watch your speed and where you park.. Theirs going to be even more pressure to generate revenue to maintain their budgets.

Diogenes

Diogenes
02/21/2008, 09:59 AM
Funny thing about tickets.. Here in VA we have all these different stickers we have to put on our vechicles.. State inspection.. city tax sticker.. and of course registration.. So when I purchase my vehicle a couple of years back, it's state inspection had just been done a few months before.

So I like to do all things at one time, so I held off the state inspection until my tags came due.. do it all in the same month, right?

Well, yesterday a cop looked real hard at me while coming from the opposite direction in heavy traffic (thought he was going to nail me because I'd forgotten to put on my seatbelt)... Well, I can see him signal to turn in my side/rear mirror, but there's no way he's going to catch me in this traffic, right?. I fasten my seat belt, so I'm not worried.

Well, about 3/4 of a mile down the road, a different cop pulls me over for my state inspection sticker being out of date.. Seems the first cop had radioed ahead to have his buddy nail me (the cop who pulled me over was very nice and the first thing he asked was "What kind of Vehicle is this?? Never seen one before".. so that gave me the chance to proundly tell him about it being a limited production vehicle.. ;0)

Moral of the story, and my gut feeling on this?? With declining housing prices lowering the property tax revenue available to municipalities, we're seeing a lot more traffic related fines as a means of generating revenue. The cop that called me in really must have been looking for generating money for him to take such efforts to call his buddy down on me.

So until we get past this housing bubble, and diminishing property taxes, you all had better watch your speed and where you park.. Theirs going to be even more pressure to generate revenue to maintain their budgets.

Diogenes

johnnyapollo
02/21/2008, 01:14 PM
My normal cruising speed here in Atlanta Highways is 80 MPH - I've been passed numerous times by squad cars at that speed, and nearly run over by other cars/trucks if going slower. The exceptions are the smaller municipalities where I slow down to 5-10 over, depending on where and what the limit is. You really have to know your area, or be careful if you don't - and never, never speed in active school zones.

-- John